Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Spreadnecks: COVIDIOTS, Anti-Maskers, Anti-Vaxxers, Etc.

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Spreadnecks: COVIDIOTS, Anti-Maskers, Anti-Vaxxers, Etc.

Post by Phoenix520 »

He’s not the first, though, is he? Who’d he get it from?
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

We'll probably never know. A SARS-CoV-2 infection is more likely to kill than a poliovirus infection is likely to paralyze or kill, and overall SARS-CoV-2 is nastier. 98% of people infected with poliovirus don't show bad enough symptoms to be diagnosed with poliovirus infection. (I say poliovirus infection because polio refers to the paralysis)
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Dave from down under wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:39 am It appears the patient had a vaccine-derived strain of the virus, perhaps from someone who received live vaccine — available in other countries, but not the US — and spread it, officials said.
Oh man... this could very easily fuel so much more anti-vax paranoia. Anti-vaxxers are likely to overlook (accidentally or on purpose) that the US does nor use live virus vaccines for polio. Most likely, all they'll hear is "Vaccine-derived strain of the virus" and start screaming that this is proof all vaccines are bad.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

They are also rolling out a new Type 2 novel oral polio vaccine for use in countries where circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus (cVDPV) is still an issue. While it still uses a weakened virus, it is designed to be resistant to genetic change which is how we end up with cVDPV.

Anti-vaxxers can create as many conspiracy theories as they want, but it does not change the hard data of cases from the 1950s to now. From hundreds of thousands (including thousands in the US) to 5 wild poliovirus and 688 cVDPV cases in 2021, the data shows that vaccines work. Of course, the anti-vaxxers will ignore this.
101010 :towel:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:16 pm
Dave from down under wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:39 am It appears the patient had a vaccine-derived strain of the virus, perhaps from someone who received live vaccine — available in other countries, but not the US — and spread it, officials said.
Oh man... this could very easily fuel so much more anti-vax paranoia. Anti-vaxxers are likely to overlook (accidentally or on purpose) that the US does nor use live virus vaccines for polio. Most likely, all they'll hear is "Vaccine-derived strain of the virus" and start screaming that this is proof all vaccines are bad.
My understanding is that vaccine derived strains of poliomyelitis is contracted through contact with faeces of persons who have been vaccinated with live vaccone and that vaccine had mutated in the body.

So why wouldn't the anti-vaccine ijits be anti-shit-eating ijits instead.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith

Post by keith »

keith wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:43 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:16 pm
My understanding is that vaccine derived strains of poliomyelitis is contracted through contact with faeces of persons who have been vaccinated with live vaccine and that vaccine had mutated in the body.

Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

A pretty comprehensive write up from the Guardian after polio virus was discovered in sampling from a London sewer

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... accination[/url]
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

keith wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:43 pm My understanding is that vaccine derived strains of poliomyelitis is contracted through contact with faeces of persons who have been vaccinated with live vaccone and that vaccine had mutated in the body.

Well, being against shit-eating is logical and rational for any number of reasons, and the anti-vaxxers are pretty much anti -logic and -reason in most cases, so they'd probably be touting shit-eating as the best way to avoid poliovirus.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I hear ivermectin is great for polio.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:21 am
keith wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:43 pm My understanding is that vaccine derived strains of poliomyelitis is contracted through contact with faeces of persons who have been vaccinated with live vaccone and that vaccine had mutated in the body.

Well, being against shit-eating is logical and rational for any number of reasons, and the anti-vaxxers are pretty much anti -logic and -reason in most cases, so they'd probably be touting shit-eating as the best way to avoid poliovirus.
They already drink urine for covid so shit eating is just a short hop from there.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Don't google "fecal implants" :cantlook:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:30 pm Don't google "fecal implants" :cantlook:
Do you mean fecal transplants?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Or do. I know it’s the grossest thing I've ever heard of but apparently some people get their entire lives back after one.
W. Kevin Vicklund

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:49 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:30 pm Don't google "fecal implants" :cantlook:
Do you mean fecal transplants?
That's it. "Implants" didn't seem quite right, but I couldn't come up with the word that seemed right.

And I wasn't going to google.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

I can tell most of you have never lived on a farm.

Baby animals eat feces in order to get the correct bacterial fauna in their guts.

Without the proper intestinal fauna, animals can't digest things properly.

If you give large animals (including humans) antibiotics, the antibiotics wipe out all the 'bios'. Veterinarians routinely perform transfaunation, because otherwise the animal will have constant diarrhea and will become dehydrated as a result, thus causing a cascade of bodily function failure and possibly resulting in the death of the animal.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya, my "grown up on a farm" self never saw anything horrific in Feces transfer. It always sounded very practical to me.
Hic sunt dracones
keith

Post by keith »

OK, this needs a little unpacking.

First, eating shit is not the same as gut biota transplant anymore than sticking a knife into the ribs is the same as open heart surgery.

Second, the new polio patient has apparently not been out of the country, which means he/she has not been playing in the local sewage pond in Mombasa.

This leaves the possibility that some Nigerian Alt-witchdoctor is selling miracle gut-biota cures over the internet.

I suspect that there may be a few other possibilities, but they are probabily more scientific than my suggestion, and you know better than to trust science.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Azastan wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:43 pm Baby animals eat feces in order to get the correct bacterial fauna in their guts.
To be honest I've never seen baby livestock do that.
Hic sunt dracones
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Had the US citizen who contracted polio been immunised using the US approved vaccine - then he almost certainly would not have contracted it.

Which is why Anti-vaxxers are so dangerous.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

keith wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:14 pm OK, this needs a little unpacking.

First, eating shit is not the same as gut biota transplant anymore than sticking a knife into the ribs is the same as open heart surgery.
Well...it is with horses LOL.

Literally.

Foals will eat mom's manure in order to get the proper fauna in their gut. This tends to freak people out when they see it for the first time.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ok. I was never around Foals. :) Baby Cows don't do it, or at least I lever saw it.
Hic sunt dracones
keith

Post by keith »

Azastan wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:06 pm

Literally.

Foals will eat mom's manure in order to get the proper fauna in their gut. This tends to freak people out when they see it for the first time.
And thats like open heart surgery how?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

keith wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:17 am
Azastan wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:06 pm

Literally.

Fecal microbiota transplant (FMT), also known as a stool transplant,[1] is the process of transferring fecal bacteria and other microbes from a healthy individual into another individual. FMT is an effective treatment for Clostridioides difficile infection (CDI).[2][3] For recurrent CDI, FMT is more effective than vancomycin.[2][4]

Side effects may include a risk of infections, therefore the donor should be screened.[5] FMT involves restoration of the colonic microflora by introducing healthy bacterial flora through infusion of stool via colonoscopy, enema, orogastric tube, or by mouth in the form of a capsule containing feces from a healthy donor, which in some cases is freeze-dried.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

I was answering your question about transfaunation seriously, no need to wander off into the bushes. :confuzzled:
keith

Post by keith »

Azastan wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:56 am
I was answering your question about transfaunation seriously, no need to wander off into the bushes. :confuzzled:
I dint ask no questions! :shrug:

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”