Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The Murdaugh Murders (podcast)

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: The Murdaugh Murders (podcast)

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm a little late to this, but this is now on Discovery ID tonight. The first hour started at 9 PM Eastern. Three hours tonight, more tomorrow.

Edited to add: Nope. It was only the three hours tonight.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Murdaugh is a malignant narcissist and sociopath. Scary guy.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:13 am Murdaugh is a malignant narcissist and sociopath. Scary guy.
It sounded as if his son could have been worse. He sounded like a serial killer in the making.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

:eek:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:42 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:13 am Murdaugh is a malignant narcissist and sociopath. Scary guy.
It sounded as if his son could have been worse. He sounded like a serial killer in the making.
Buster is the only one left now who isn't dead or incarcerated.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I just read the Wikipedia article about this.

That is quite the soap opera.

The pod cast has 38 episodes?!?!

Who could possibly listen to that much mayhem without going postal themselves?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.investigationdiscovery.com/ ... ly-mystery
Death, Drugs & Deceit: A Timeline of the Murdaugh Family Mystery
Alex Murdaugh found his wife and son murdered in June 2021, but his troubles started years earlier.

Alex Murdaugh made national news in June 2021 after his wife, Margaret, and their son, Paul, were discovered dead on the family’s South Carolina estate. But the double homicide was one of the many dark mysteries and problems plaguing the family — both past and present — that were about to come to light. A timeline detailing the extent of the family’s troubles stretches back years.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... r-charges/
South Carolina authorities have informed the family of Alex Murdaugh, the disgraced patriarch of a legal dynasty in the state, that criminal charges will be brought against him for the double murder of his wife and son, Murdaugh’s brother told local media.

The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) has been investigating the killings of Murdaugh’s wife, Maggie, 52, and son Paul, 22, who were fatally shot outside the family’s Islandton, S.C., home in June 2021. The double homicide, which has rocked the small rural community in the state’s southern Lowcountry, was even more striking because of the Murdaugh family’s prominent status in South Carolina, where three generations of Murdaughs once served as elected prosecutors for 87 consecutive years.

John Marvin Murdaugh, Alex’s younger brother, told the Post and Courier in Charleston that SLED met with the Murdaugh family Tuesday to give them a heads-up that criminal charges would be presented to a grand jury this week.

“The entire family has been consistent that regardless of what goes on, we want the truth,” the brother said to the newspaper.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Whaddya bet that with all the charges racking up against him, plus other suspicious incidents from his past that have been reopened and gaining momentum, that some time down the road he'll be found hanging in his cell?
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Tiredretiredlawyer

IMHO, he is a malignant narcissist who would never kill the light of the world (himself).
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:22 am IMHO, he is a malignant narcissist who would never kill the light of the world (himself).
He's already tried once but his hired hit man was a lousy shot.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Maybe his "hit" man was paid to miss to turn law enforcement in a direction away from Murdaugh.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:50 am Maybe his "hit" man was paid to miss to turn law enforcement in a direction away from Murdaugh.
That was the impression I got from watching the ID special.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Former Palmetto State Bank CEO and alleged Richard "Alex" Murdaugh co-conspirator Russell Lucius Laffitte was found guilty on all six federal criminal charges after a late-night jury session Nov. 22.

Laffitte was found guilty of bank fraud, wire fraud, conspiracy to commit fraud, and three counts of misapplication of bank funds after a trial that began Nov. 8.

The verdict was delivered around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Charleston. After a couple of jurors were replaced, including one who was described as a "hostile" juror, and alternates were put in, the verdict was unanimous, according to Charleston media outlets.
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 673348007/
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... h-carolina
Disgraced former attorney Alex Murdaugh faces trial next week on charges of murdering his wife and son, part of a sprawling case that has exposed a seamy underside to political power and influence in South Carolina’s lowlands.

It is a bizarre and southern Gothic tale of brutal murders, still unsolved deaths, an apparently faked assassination attempt, a family fortune and layers of small town corruption going back generations. Not surprisingly, it has gripped America and attracted the interest of numerous documentary makers.

The trial, being heard in the courthouse in the town of Walterboro, is no more than 10 miles from the dog kennel at the family’s 1,700-acre hunting property near Islandton – known locally as Moselle – where 52-year-old Maggie Murdaugh and her son, 22-year-old Paul Murdaugh, were found on 7 June 2021, after Murdaugh made an emergency call saying he had found them slain.

The charges against Murdaugh – two counts of murder and two counts of possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime – were brought by a grand jury in July. Court documents allege Murdaugh shot his wife with a rifle and his son with a shotgun.
Tiredretiredlawyer

pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

I found this thread in my search but didn’t seem to have “reply” post capability………
Now I see I can, tx.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
pjhimself wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:22 am ... didn’t seem to have “reply” post capability………
Anybody else seeing that? I never imposed (or lifted) any permissions on the thread or anything.

Maybe that will sort itself out when I do repair, optimization, and backup of the database on Sunday morning ...
Out from under. :thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:30 am
Off Topic
pjhimself wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:22 am ... didn’t seem to have “reply” post capability………
Anybody else seeing that? I never imposed (or lifted) any permissions on the thread or anything.

Maybe that will sort itself out when I do repair, optimization, and backup of the database on Sunday morning ...
I can see quote but not reply.
Edit: Looks like that's true on all threads.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Post Reply is towards the bottom left below the most recent post.
Attachments
fbreply.jpg
fbreply.jpg (256.46 KiB) Viewed 416 times
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Post Reply is towards the bottom left below the most recent post.
Yep, except for the first time I tried to post on this thread.
Retired lawyer cross referenced my YouTube and the “reply” function appeared, as you say.
I was willing to admit to user error til pip had the same problem (and since reported it).

The other thought I had was that all of the older posts referenced podcasts though that didn’t make much sense to me. Ah well, Foggy is on the case.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I've been listening to the murder trial via bluetooth on a YouTube feed while I go about my daily business taking care of mom. Wowee, what a mess. The defense opened the door to the prosecutor bringing in some of the money scams because they started asking questions regarding character. Thursday and Friday have quite a bit of testimony outside of the jury, they got part of both days off and they are coming in at 11:30 AM CST in order for the prosecutor to bring in more of what they propose to present to show "bad character". That was really sloppy of the defense.

I have also started listening to Mandy's podcast. What a sordid mess. Some of the financial stuff was really such a mess. Alex is being represented by attorney's that are also personal friends, and he also scammed personal friends, so in addition to the whole story being a major head screw, the court case is a major head screw with defense attorney's attacking their former friends who are testifying for the prosecution. Alex did a number not only on clients, business partners, and friends. But now he has his attorney friends attacking his friends that he screwed financially. He is indeed a narcissistic sociopath and maybe even a psychopath.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

Another recap:

At about the nine minute mark of the YouTube, a tape recording of Alex is discussed.
Not being a lawyer, I wondered why the defense was allowed to play the same evidence at one third speed.
Seems like a distortion should not be considered.
I’m also not sure if the jury is present at this playback.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

pjhimself wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:45 am Another recap:

At about the nine minute mark of the YouTube, a tape recording of Alex is discussed.
Not being a lawyer, I wondered why the defense was allowed to play the same evidence at one third speed.
Seems like a distortion should not be considered.
I’m also not sure if the jury is present at this playback.
the jury was present during that playback. I was very surprised the judge allowed it. It is very distorted at the defense playback speeds. It seems that a majority of people agree that he's saying "I did him bad", not "they did him bad". All the YouTube lawyers were doing polls and it run upwards of 80% that believe Alex slipped and said "I" in that recording.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

. the jury was present during that playback. I was very surprised the judge allowed it. It is very distorted at the defense playback speeds. It seems that a majority of people agree that he's saying "I did him bad", not "they did him bad". All the YouTube lawyers were doing polls and it run upwards of 80% that believe Alex slipped and said "I" in that recording.
Tx. If I was on the jury (and in a way we are here), I’d have to think that presenting distorted audio was trying to “cook the books” and would influence my take on a verdict.

Among the things I take away:
- lotsa YouTube testimony without the jury present (don’t understand why)
- prosecution seems to have a lot of damaging evidence
- Alex lawyers are making lotsa money
- Alex money seems subject to recovery by others, how’s he gonna pay (assuming conviction)

The son of the housekeeper testimony seems killer to me, along with the kennel audio.

Sorry, caught up too much. More will unfold to marvel us. Stay tuned.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”