Cars, Trucks, and other forms of personal transportation

jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

I've been casually looking around at vehicles that are for sale. Just for gits and shiggles I went and priced a new Audi with everything I could possibly want. Ended up over $90k. Yeah, don't think I'll be getting something like that.

I've been driving Chevy's for almost 30 years (if you count Saturn and Geo as Chevy products) with only a break for a company car that was an Olds. Anyway, I'm looking for something a bit different.

I want something that is bit roomier then what I have now, which is a 2007 Chevy Cobalt. It's a good car, still runs well with only a few minor issues that are just generally annoying but not safety issues. So, I have been looking a bit more in earnest the last few months and I think I've narrowed it down.

Jeep - maybe a Renegade?
Toyota - Rav4 or Corolla Crossover. Roommate has a Rav4 and it's a good drive.
Chevy - Of course. Maybe a Malibu (if they are still making them) or Impala. Also have looked at the Equinox.
Subaru - I've heard good things about them.

So, any opinions or thoughts? For the record, I drive less than 3000 miles in a year. I work from home and do mostly local driving. I've even considered a lease, but I prefer to own cars until stuff starts falling off while driving.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Phoenix520
Verified:

Re: Cars, Trucks, and other forms of personal transportation

Post by Phoenix520 »

If you’re considering the RAV, you might also consider a used Lexus, both made by Toyota. They’re reliable and cheap to maintain, esp if you can get an extended warrantee for it. Look for a lease return from a dealership. They’re generally well-maintained and only a couple of years old.

I bought my first one that way. Had it for 13 years and the hybrid battery lasted the whole time. I loved to drive it! It had a lot of power, the best turning radius of any car I’ve owned, comfortable.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Check with rental car companies too. They usually sell them after 2 years or so and have good maintenance records.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Jeep Cherokee rides into the automotive sunset

Stephen Williams
Thu, March 23, 2023 at 10:23 PM GMT+1

After making a name for itself nearly a half-century ago, the Jeep Cherokee, which has endured off and on through a number of iterations, has been chopped from the lineup. But the name will live on. Sort of.

What started life as a body-on-frame SUV in 1974 later morphed into the resilient XJ built from 1984 to 2001, when it was replaced by the Liberty. The Cherokee also lived on through licensed production in China through 2014, when Jeep reintroduced the Cherokee name back into its North American lineup with a midsize crossover. But the Cherokee by then had lost its luster.

On March 1, Stellantis idled the Belvidere Assembly plant in Illinois, where the Cherokee was made. There were suggestions that the plant be shuttered permanently depending on future negotiations with the United Auto Workers.

Cherokee watchers could divine the end coming two months ago, after Jeep product planners radically slimmed down the Cherokee lineup to only two and reduced engine choices to a naturally-aspirated inline-four and a 270 horsepower turbo. If the Cherokee reemerges in some form, it will likely be in zero-emissions form, as Jeep has made it clear that it will build electrified variants of all Jeep brands by 2025.

At any rate, the Cherokee’s legacy (and its name) live on the Grand Cherokee, a large, upscale SUV that was renewed with high-tech touches and a plug-in hybrid offering in 2022.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/jeep-cherok ... 00056.html
(original: Autoblog)
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Ben Collins, "The Stig" from Top Gear, runs a 6-wheeled F1 car:

jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

I believe I have made a decision. Thanks to the company I work for, the Subaru would be at Dealer Invoice. I'm not sure how much of a discount that is, because it varies from dealer to dealer. And if there is any holdback from the manufacturer. It doesn't matter. It isn't MSRP, and I know the stuff that is bull pucky when it comes to upselling.

The only thing is the Impreza or the Crosstrek. I'm leaning towards the Impreza RS mostly because it's within my price range fully loaded with all the gadgets, even at MSRP. I will have a down payment of about $3k cash. Still debating on whether to turn my car into them or not and get the $50 it's worth. :rotflmao:

Either way, I should have a new car by the end of the month. And yes, I looked at used, lease buy backs, former rentals, etc. The cost of a used is almost the same as a new. And I'll be driving this car for the next 15-20 years, so not too worried about depreciation.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

jez wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:48 pm I believe I have made a decision. Thanks to the company I work for, the Subaru would be at Dealer Invoice. I'm not sure how much of a discount that is, because it varies from dealer to dealer. And if there is any holdback from the manufacturer. It doesn't matter. It isn't MSRP, and I know the stuff that is bull pucky when it comes to upselling.

The only thing is the Impreza or the Crosstrek. I'm leaning towards the Impreza RS mostly because it's within my price range fully loaded with all the gadgets, even at MSRP. I will have a down payment of about $3k cash. Still debating on whether to turn my car into them or not and get the $50 it's worth. :rotflmao:

Either way, I should have a new car by the end of the month. And yes, I looked at used, lease buy backs, former rentals, etc. The cost of a used is almost the same as a new. And I'll be driving this car for the next 15-20 years, so not too worried about depreciation.
If it runs but isn't worth the time or trouble to sell or trade in, ask around to your friends and someone will know a single mother, struggling father, driven college student, other person who will get more than you could ever imagine out of it. And then just give it to them. The blessings flow both ways.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

jez wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:48 pm I believe I have made a decision. Thanks to the company I work for, the Subaru would be at Dealer Invoice. I'm not sure how much of a discount that is, because it varies from dealer to dealer. And if there is any holdback from the manufacturer. It doesn't matter. It isn't MSRP, and I know the stuff that is bull pucky when it comes to upselling.

We've got two Subarus in the garage. My 2020 Outback is 3.5 years old with 43k miles on it and has been flawless. My wife's 2022 Impreza Limited (previous generation from what you're looking at) had a problem with the right front airbag sensor not synching last year that took a few months to fix because the problem was the 4th thing down the list and they were still dealing with parts availability issues. Other than that it's been great and it's a lot of fun to drive. The RS has a retuned version of the 2.5l boxer that's in my Outback but in a much smaller car. It should be a real hoot to drive. They gave us a new Crosstrek to drive while my wife's car was in the shop and neither one of us liked it as much. It would probably be the better car in bad weather owing to the higher ground clearance and all terrain tires but it wasn't nearly as much fun to drive.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

If all works out, by the end of the month I will be the proud owner of a V8 police interceptor...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:14 pm If all works out, by the end of the month I will be the proud owner of a V8 police interceptor...
Does it got a lot of pickup?
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:43 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:14 pm If all works out, by the end of the month I will be the proud owner of a V8 police interceptor...
► Show Spoiler
Fix the lighter.
101010 :towel:
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Ford 428?
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Does a black suit, fedora, and pack of cigarettes come with it?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

northland10 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:52 am
raison de arizona wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:43 pm
► Show Spoiler
Fix the lighter.
Beat me to it... :lol:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:38 pm Does a black suit, fedora, and pack of cigarettes come with it?
"We got two honkeys out there dressed like Hasidic diamond merchants..."

I already got all those...up next I'll be on a mission from Dog... :lol:

Trent Reznor
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

roadscholar wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:38 am
Ford 428?
No it won't be that old, it'll be a Crown Vic....but if I can pull together enough cash I might go for a Charger....

Trent Reznor
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Toll bill too high? Your windshield might be to blame

NBC Bay Area
29 Mar 2024

Is your car's windshield making you pay when you're carpooling? The windshields on some cars are keeping drivers from getting toll tag discounts. Chris Chmura reports.

Return to “General Stuff”