Live Coverage - Protests In Multiple Cities Over George Floyd's Death -- Moving Toward The White House 5/29 Onward

Addie

Re: Live Coverage - Protests In Multiple Cities Over George Floyd's Death -- Moving Toward The White House 5/29 Onward

Post by Addie »

WaPo: CIA veterans who monitored crackdowns abroad see troubling parallels in Trump's handling of protests

The scenes have been disturbingly familiar to CIA analysts accustomed to monitoring scenes of societal unraveling abroad — the massing of protesters, the ensuing crackdowns and the awkwardly staged displays of strength by a leader determined to project authority.

“I’ve seen this kind of violence,” said Gail Helt, a former CIA analyst responsible for tracking developments in China and Southeast Asia. “This is what autocrats do. This is what happens in countries before a collapse. It really does unnerve me.”

Marc Polymeropoulos, who formerly ran CIA operations in Europe and Asia, was among several former agency officials who recoiled at images of Trump hoisting a Bible in front of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Washington after authorities fired rubber bullets and tear gas to clear the president’s path of protesters.

The seeming hypocrisy in the U.S. position has not been lost on foreign targets of American pressure or criticism.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Bill_G

Re: Live Coverage - Protests In Multiple Cities Over George Floyd's Death -- Moving Toward The White House 5/29 Onward

Post by Bill_G »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:07 am

Her biggest concern for the last week has been what day TJMaxx and IKEA reopen. Because there's nothing else going on that's important.
Yeah. Common concern. The US Senate thinks starting the Russia investigation into Biden et al is more important than anything else.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

But thanks for "cornfield mansion" Sugar. That made my day.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Addie wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:53 am
Looks like they are Special Ops Disturbance Control Teams from the Federal Bureau of Prisons:

https://www.correctionsone.com/riots-an ... Rt9UCBbM0/

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neeneko wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:55 am
Addie wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:53 am
Looks like they are Special Ops Disturbance Control Teams from the Federal Bureau of Prisons:

https://www.correctionsone.com/riots-an ... Rt9UCBbM0/
Several on Twitter claimed they are prison guards but it’s exhausting determine fake accounts so couldn’t verify.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

There are at least five separate law enforcement agencies within the DOJ, including the BOP, FBI, ATF, DEA, and US Marshalls. I'm seeing a lot of people on facebook freaking out about the "we're with DOJ" line. Transparency would be a good look for the government right now. What's wrong with just saying, look, we need help from people who have specialized training?
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I took a walk in the Reston Town Center last night around 10:30 pm. They were boarding up the windows on the Sephora. I read that some Sephora locations, including in Philly, NYC, and Arizona, have been looted. I don't know if Sephora's policy now is to just board up all of their stores, in which case boarding the store in the Reston Town Center would make sense. But I was a little surprised to see it. I haven't heard of any protests in Reston lately (although we had a group of protesters protesting my former next-door neighbor, who owns a security company and had a contract with ICE to relocate unaccompanied minors). Better safe than sorry, I suppose, particularly since they're not open right now.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

From the Washington Post

Pentagon chief breaks from Trump over use of active-duty military forces to quell unrest
Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper said Wednesday that he does not support the use of active-duty military forces in quelling countrywide unrest — a statement that puts him at odds with President Trump, who has threatened to send troops into U.S. cities.

Trump’s warning, in response to waves of protest over the police killing of George Floyd, would require the invocation of the Insurrection Act to give members of the military the power to arrest. Esper said the measure should be used only as a “last resort and only in the most urgent and dire of situations.”

“We are not in one of those situations now,” he said. “I do not support invoking the Insurrection Act.”

Esper’s announcement comes after a week of increasingly violent unrest gave way to largely peaceful protest Tuesday evening. Brutal clashes between police and the public seemed to subside, and there were only sporadic reports of looting and other mayhem across the nation.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... e-updates/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess Pentagon brass had some serious discussions with their civilian boss about the ramifications of moving troops into a position of fighting their own relatives just to fullfill cadet bonespurs wet dreams.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

The cynic in me says that this is all theater, and that cooler heads have prevailed based on the public response. But in an effort to avoid Trump appearing weak, Esper is appearing to buck Trump. The narrative will be that Trump wanted to use the active duty military, and the only reason he's not is because he wants to avoid problems in the DOD.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Maybenaut wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:14 pm
There are at least five separate law enforcement agencies within the DOJ, including the BOP, FBI, ATF, DEA, and US Marshalls. I'm seeing a lot of people on facebook freaking out about the "we're with DOJ" line. Transparency would be a good look for the government right now. What's wrong with just saying, look, we need help from people who have specialized training?
So of course they activate the unit that does nothing but "dominate" prison riots, where the inmates have nothing to lose and must be quelled by sheer force. If they turn those guys lose on the protesters they will swarm and completely overwhelm anyone in their way, injuries or deaths be damned. At least now the report I saw several days about "prison guards" makes more sense. These guys are not your ordinary "prison guards" in any sense of the word..

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Heard on TV yesterday (no link) that there were people in those ranks from DHS and Customs and Border Patrol too. Saw ICE vans collecting people in NYC last night who had been arrested for curfew violations (they did not appear to be anything but plain vanilla white people). Just a matter of time before someone leaks out WTH is going on.

Also, too, just saw on the Miami Herald site that DeSantis is sending 500 National Guard troops from Florida to DC. :roll: More ridiculous theatre at great expense. :evil:
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/3-cops-c ... 20204.html
3 More Former Cops To Be Charged In The Killing Of George Floyd
It sounds morbid, but I'm wondering which will be the first to eat his gun.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Three more officers are charged in George Floyd’s death, and officials upgrade charges against Derek Chauvin.

Minnesota officials charged three additional police officers on Wednesday in the death of George Floyd, and added a new enhanced charge against the officer who held his knee to Mr. Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes, according to court filings.

The three former officers, Thomas Lane, J. Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao, were charged with aiding and abetting murder, court records show.

The fourth officer, Derek Chauvin, 44, who was arrested last week, faces an increased charge of second-degree murder.

All four officers were quickly fired from the Minneapolis Police Department after video of the encounter emerged. Officers arrested Mr. Floyd on the evening of May 25 after a store employee called the police, saying that someone had used a counterfeit $20 bill to buy cigarettes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/us/l ... k-1f8001df

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The statue of a former mayor, criticized for years as a symbol of racism, was removed in Philadelphia.

The City of Philadelphia on Wednesday morning took down a statue of the former mayor Frank Rizzo, a champion of conservatives who aggressively policed black people and gay people in the 1960s and ’70s and whose likeness has long been criticized as a symbol of racism and oppression.

The statue, which sat on the steps of a municipal services building, had remained for more than two decades since its unveiling in 1999. It was often vandalized, and protesters in recent days have tried to take it down and light it on fire.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/us/l ... k-27156bff

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Boogaloo Bois/open carry advocates say they, just like people of color, are oppressed.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Now the Greeks. Seems the whole world is aroused about this.

Greek demonstrators hurl firebombs towards U.S. embassy in Athens

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-minn ... ce=twitter
Demonstrators hurled firebombs in a march towards the U.S. Embassy compound in Athens on Wednesday in a protest over the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

Reuters journalists saw demonstrators throwing several flaming objects which erupted into flames on the street towards the heavily-guarded embassy in central Athens and police responding with rounds of teargas.

The embassy itself was cordoned off with rows of blue police buses.

Demonstrators were holding banners and placards reading “Black lives matter” and “I can’t breathe”.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

Every revolutionary's favorite mixed drink....the Molotov Cocktail....
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Frater I*I wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:43 pm
But you need to at least 21 to correctly consume it
viewtopic.php?p=1185768#p1185768

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:51 pm
Frater I*I wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:43 pm
But you need to at least 21 to correctly consume it
viewtopic.php?p=1185768#p1185768
Perhaps. But you can be consumed *by* it at any age, whether you want it or not.

bob

Post by bob »

The three former officers, Thomas Lane, J. Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao, were charged with aiding and abetting murder, court records show.

The fourth officer, Derek Chauvin, 44, who was arrested last week, faces an increased charge of second-degree murder.
Lawsplainers on Twitter are lawsplaining that, in Minnesota, one can't aid ("and abet") third-degree murder because aiding is a specific-intent crime and third-degree murder doesn't require an intent to kill (or, rather, intent is imputed). Whereas second-degree murder does require an intent to kill, so you can aid in that.

"But the officer didn't intend anyone to die!" will be the defense. But the intent to kill can be formed quickly. In seconds, or even minutes -- like when the victim is pleading, "I can't breathe." And juries are asked to infer an intent from actions all the time.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

The DEA Has Been Given Permission To Investigate People Protesting George Floyd’s Death
The Justice Department gave the agency the temporary power “to enforce any federal crime committed as a result of the protests over the death of George Floyd.”

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ja ... government
The Drug Enforcement Administration has been granted sweeping new authority to “conduct covert surveillance” and collect intelligence on people participating in protests over the police killing of George Floyd, according to a two-page memorandum obtained by BuzzFeed News.

Floyd’s death “has spawned widespread protests across the nation, which, in some instances, have included violence and looting,” the DEA memo says. “Police agencies in certain areas of the country have struggled to maintain and/or restore order.” The memo requests the extraordinary powers on a temporary basis, and on Sunday afternoon a senior Justice Department official signed off.

:snippity:

The DEA is limited by statute to enforcing drug-related federal crimes. But on Sunday, Timothy Shea, a former US attorney and close confidant of Barr's who was named acting administrator of the DEA last month, received approval from Associate Deputy Attorney General Bradley Weinsheimer to go beyond the agency’s mandate “to perform other law enforcement duties” that Barr may “deem appropriate.”

:snippity:

“In order for DEA to assist to the maximum extent possible in the federal law enforcement response to protests which devolve into violations of federal law, DEA requests that it be designated to enforce any federal crime committed as a result of protests over the death of George Floyd,” Shea wrote in the memo. “DEA requests this authority on a nationwide basis for a period of fourteen days.”

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

https://mobile.twitter.com/kylegriffin1 ... 8787237890

Kyle Griffin✔@kylegriffin1
WASHINGTON (AP) — Esper has reversed decision to return active-duty troops deployed near DC to home bases, Army secretary tells AP
lol. Imma guessing Trump forced that reversal.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:41 pm
Three more officers are charged in George Floyd’s death, and officials upgrade charges against Derek Chauvin.

Minnesota officials charged three additional police officers on Wednesday in the death of George Floyd, and added a new enhanced charge against the officer who held his knee to Mr. Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes, according to court filings. :snippity:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/us/l ... k-1f8001df
For reference, the MN statute on submitting lesser included charges (seems they always get submitted and manslaughter is specifically a lesser included of murder).

https://codes.findlaw.com/mn/criminal-p ... 31-14.html

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Walter Shaub
@waltshaub
·
38m
This feels like an attempt to intimidate the Bishop and the priest who criticized Trump after he desecrated their church.
Quote Tweet

The Hill
@thehill
· 45m
#BREAKING: Two large military vehicles arrive at St. John's.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”