The Ahmaud Arbery case

Sugar Magnolia

Re: The Ahmaud Arbery case

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

neonzx wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:21 pm
The officer provided the phone number of a nearby resident, telling the owner to call it the next time his motion-sensing security cameras whirred into action.
Larry English's life just got a whole lot more complicated.
Why? The article plainly says the officer sent the text to him and gave him McMichael's contact info after McM volunteered to check on the house for him. If they already knew each other, or had any contact, McM could have just told English himself, or been put on the alarm list or whatever. Based on available info, McMichael inserted himself into the whole situation by volunteering to check things out if English would alert him.

I can literally hear that conversation between McM and the cop. McM shows up when he sees the cop, IDs himself as one of them and asks what's going on. "Oh hell, man, y'all have enough to deal with without a bunch of bogus alarms so just give the owner my info and I'll run down here and check it out for you and call if there's anything to it." And Barney does as he suggests because he's a lazy piece of shit with stars in his eyes.

Cowboy up, motherfucker. Hope it was worth it to you.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bob wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:16 pm
neonzx wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:21 pm
The officer provided the phone number of a nearby resident, telling the owner to call it the next time his motion-sensing security cameras whirred into action.
Larry English's life just got a whole lot more complicated.
Respectfully disagree.

When the homeowner is inevitably sued, he can now draw the local government into the lawsuit. The homeowner's insurance carrier's deep pockets are no longer at risk; the government's are.

This is why this story is coming from the homeowner's lawyer.
I didn't mean more complicated from a legal or financial liability stance. If his attorney is being truthful, English is in ailing health and the new house on the water was a "bucket list" item to spend his days fishing.

Stress is not helpful for someone who is ill. You can bet at least a part of him regrets installing those cameras. (but I'm glad he had them).

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

Speaking of lawyers..

"Attorneys for the elder Mr McMichael, Franklin and Laura Hogue, said in a statement there had been a rush to judgment before the "full story" was known.

His son's lawyer, Bob Rubin, said in a news release that "Travis has been vilified before his voice could even be heard"."

from
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-17/ ... c/12256826

To those lawyers I have 2 things to say:
Your Clients haven't helped the story be known
and
Arbery's voice will never be heard because your client shot him 3 times with a shotgun.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

He means a full story like the one where an unarmed Trayvon Martin attacked Zimmerman, the good-intentioned armed stranger twice his size, cleverly using the sidewalk as a deadly weapon.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Dave at Sea wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:02 pm
Speaking of lawyers..

"Attorneys for the elder Mr McMichael, Franklin and Laura Hogue, said in a statement there had been a rush to judgment before the "full story" was known.

His son's lawyer, Bob Rubin, said in a news release that "Travis has been vilified before his voice could even be heard"."

from
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-17/ ... c/12256826

To those lawyers I have 2 things to say:
Your Clients haven't helped the story be known
and
Arbery's voice will never be heard because your client shot him 3 times with a shotgun.
They had two months of freedom to get the "full story" out.

Not heard of any efforts on it during that time.

Lani

Post by Lani »

The killer's sister posted pictures of Ahmaud's bloody body on social media. And mean people are threatening her and her family. NY Post. Can't bring myself to post that link. Different source below.
On Monday, The Daily Beast reported that Lindsey McMichael, the sister and daughter of the men who shot and killed Ahmaud Arbery in Georgia, posted pictures of his dead body on Snapchat — reportedly because she is a “huge fan of true crime.”
:snippity:
Lee Merritt, a lawyer for the Arbery family condemned Lindsay’s actions, saying it was ‘very disturbing and very disturbing to the family,’ adding, ‘it also highlights that there are probably more video and more images of before, during and after Ahmaud’s murder — these images aren’t meant for public consumption in this way. It actually fits in with the pattern of the McMichael family engaging in a weird, violent form of voyeurism.'
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/05/sister ... me-report/

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/man ... wlxOlHT3NI

Arbery murder film artist charged! Most excellent.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Another William Bryan, off to the Big House. LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP! :cheer1:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I haven't followed the nitty gritty that closely. What was the role of the videographer?

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:41 pm
I haven't followed the nitty gritty that closely. What was the role of the videographer?
It looks likely that since he was part of the vigilante posse he has also been charged - From the link

——
SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — The Georgia man who filmed cellphone video of Ahmaud Arbery’s fatal shooting was arrested Thursday and charged with murder in his death.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said 50-year-old William “Roddie” Bryan was arrested on charges of felony murder and criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment.
——

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Thanks but I was trying to find out what he did. According to Ari Melber he aided the gun wielding father-son team in blocking Arbery from escaping the scene. That would make his involvement direct. Such conduct deserves a felony murder charge.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Of course.

But, I have to admit his attorney did a fine job at trying to present Bryan as just an innocent bystander.

And one less of those William Bryans loose on our streets, the better. I'll sleep well tonight.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:59 pm
Thanks but I was trying to find out what he did. According to Ari Melber he aided the gun wielding father-son team in blocking Arbery from escaping the scene. That would make his involvement direct. Such conduct deserves a felony murder charge.
If I recall, the initial encounter was not at the shooting scene. Arbery was approached at a different location first. Arbery turned around and ran the other way. In the police report taken of Gregory, he said 'Roddy' tried to cut him off when he was fleeing. That's not on video

It was a minute or two later where they caught up with Arbery again, which is where Bryan's video records the ending.

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

the sister taking pictures should also be charged. That is horrible

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

neonzx wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:13 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
If I recall, the initial encounter was not at the shooting scene. Arbery was approached at a different location first. Arbery turned around and ran the other way. In the police report taken of Gregory, he said 'Roddy' tried to cut him off when he was fleeing. That's not on video

It was a minute or two later where they caught up with Arbery again, which is where Bryan's video records the ending.
Do you have a link for that? I thought I was following the public info pretty closely but totally missed that bit.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:17 pm
neonzx wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:13 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:

Do you have a link for that? I thought I was following the public info pretty closely but totally missed that bit.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... eport.html

I'm not sure why this has redactions.
4edr54.PNG
The first encounter wasn't where he was killed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Lee Merritt, a lawyer for the Arbery family condemned Lindsay’s actions, saying it was ‘very disturbing and very disturbing to the family,’ adding, ‘it also highlights that there are probably more video and more images of before, during and after Ahmaud’s murder — these images aren’t meant for public consumption in this way. It actually fits in with the pattern of the McMichael family engaging in a weird, violent form of voyeurism.'
:shock:
Does this sound as if Bryan and the McMichaels planned and executed Arbery’s murder for a voyeuristic purpose, and have done similar things before? Could this be why the scoundrel Bryan was arrested?

Oh, Lordy, let’s see ALL their tapes.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Man who filmed Ahmaud Arbery video charged with murder

By Christian Boone

William “Roddie” Bryan, who shot the video capturing the final seconds of Ahmaud Arbery’s life, has been arrested and charged with his murder, the GBI announced Thursday.

Bryan, 50, has maintained his innocence. On Monday, his attorney, Kevin Gough, insisted his client had no communication with the McMichaels the day of the shooting. “If there was a lynch mob or posse, Mr. Bryan was unaware of it,” Gough said.

Action News Jax interviewed Bryan recently: Bryan’s [sic]mclaimed he got involved only after hearing the commotion generated by the pursuit of Arbery. That appears to contradict what Greg McMichael told police on Feb. 23, the day Arbery was fatally shot. McMichael -- charged, along with his son Travis McMichael, with felony murder and aggravated assault -- said they believed Arbery was connected to an alleged string of break-ins inside Satilla Shores, the neighborhood where they and Bryan resided. Greg McMichael said Bryan had tried to block Arbery “but was unsuccessful.”

Waycross Judicial Circuit District Attorney George Barnhill, the second prosecutor assigned to investigate Arbery’s death, also mentioned Bryan in a letter sent to Glynn County police in April. Barnhill recused himself from the case but not before expressing his opinion that no charges should be brought against the McMichaels or Bryan. The three neighbors were in “hot pursuit” of Arbery, Barnhill wrote, based on probable cause that the 25-year-old was a burglar on the run.
https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/bre ... zu6QiK46K/
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

Coverage in Australia
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-22/ ... y/12275140

Including - -
----------------------
His attorney, Kevin Gough, previously insisted Mr Bryan played no role in Mr Arbery's death.

"Roddie Bryan is not now, and has never been, more than a witness to the shooting," Mr Gough said in a statement on the case issued on Monday.

"He is not a vigilante. Roddie did not participate in the horrific killing of this young man.
---------------------

bob

Post by bob »

I think a certain member flounced, but, if not, may appreciate this lawsplaining from YouTube lawyer Devin "Legal Eagle" Stone:

Unsurprisingly, Stone agrees with the lawsplainers here.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

bob wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:46 pm
I think a certain member flounced, but, if not, may appreciate this lawsplaining from YouTube lawyer Devin "Legal Eagle" Stone:

Video now unavailable.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

bob

Post by bob »

"Hmmm":
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

ZekeB wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 8:55 pm
bob wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:46 pm

Video now unavailable.
There's an error in the link, but the video is available on his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpa-Zb ... PP1Dx_1M8Q
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Preliminary hearing for Travis McMichael, Greg McMichael, and Roddy McDaniel Bryan currently in progress live here:

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/cr ... c82cac8e85

They are going over the evidence. The GBI agent is on the stand.
-- Yoda

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Adding: The McMichaels are appearing virtually. Roddy waived appearance, but his attorney is in the courtroom. The attorney I think is Roddy's tried to make a motion at the beginning, while the prosecutor was giving his opening statement, but the judge told him to sit down.
-- Yoda

Return to “Current Events”