Recipes!

Volkonski

Re: Recipes!

Post by Volkonski »

Yesterday afternoon after resting on the bed for a while I came downstairs to the aroma of something frying. Mrs. V. had gotten out the cast iron skillet. She started with a recipe for chicken francese.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyl ... pe-1951951

Then she substituted chicken thighs for the breasts, almond flour for wheat flour, red wine for white wine and mushrooms for the spinach. She added lots of chopped onion.

The result- Chicken Mrs. V. :-D It was delicious.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

kate520

Post by kate520 »

I’m drooling. Pulled pork is so worth the babysitting time!1!

Adding pork butt to the shopping list now.

We have an old, cranky GE stovetop range with separate oven. The range has an electric grill on the left. It didn’t work properly when we moved in but in scrubbing down the range I noticed that the previous owner had stuffed the holes of the plug for the heating element with something. Unplugged, it works just fine. Artichoke, asparagus, steak successfully cooked. I had worried about smoke and the smoke detector, but it has a powerful fan. I think I’ll try peaches tonight...
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

My pulled pork came out so tender and juicy I didn't even have to pull it apart, it literally fell apart when I pulled off the skin. I guess it was well worth brining for 36 hours! I probably ate enough for two sandwiches right off the bone taking it apart. Not surprisingly I had a meathead dog on each side of me drooling! Luckily there were two bits of bone which were taken outside and enjoyed thoroughly flopped in the soft grass and warm sunshine! (I don't know who's more spoiled, the dogs or the grandkids!) :lol:

Here's the recipe again, in case any BBQ lovers missed it. As many BBQ recipes I've tried over the years, this is by far the best!
https://www.kevinandamanda.com/pulled-pork-recipe/
Birfers are toast

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I looked at the recipe for the pulled pork. It looks like a keeper, and it certainly made me hungry for a pulled pork sandwich. :daydream:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Lani

Post by Lani »

Tonight I made Korean coffee again. This time correctly and in under 5 minutes. 1/4 cup of water, granulated sugar, and instant coffee. Used my powered whisk. Poured soy milk into a mug, added a jigger of vodka (secret ingredient), heaped a bunch of what I call coffee mousse on top, lightly stirred, and enjoyed. Covered the remainder for tomorrow. YaY me!

I have a big jug of maple syrup from Costco for the rare times I have waffles. So I decided to make maple candy, which I love. Shockingly, it was easy! Boil syrup to 245F, remove from heat, cool to 175F, then stir like crazy (I used my hand blender) until its color is lighter and it's thick and creamy. Pour into molds. I got it right the first time! Unfortunately, ate it all in 24 hours. :(
maple-candy-1.jpg
Tomorrow I'll make it again, but will add walnut bits before pouring into the molds.

Yeah, I'm not much of a cook. To me, the kitchen is enemy territory, but I'm trying.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Mrs. V's keto chili-

Fairly easy to make.

In a large skillet fry 1 lb of ground beef and a chopped whole onion until the meat is browned.

Add 1 can roasted chopped tomatoes, 1 small can green chilies (include the liquid from the can), 1 small can tomato paste and 1 can black soybeans (drain and rinse first). Add chili powder to taste. Stir well and let simmer until it reaches your desired thickness.

Serve with your favorite grated cheese. I also add sriracha sauce to my portion.

The black soybeans only have 1 net carb per serving.

Depending on availability you can substitute fresh tomatoes and green chilies.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Wasn't going to do Mexican, but was overruled.

Al pastuer tacos and refried beans.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

A friend just brought over some fresh veggies, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, onions, peppers and, I think, yams. They have white flesh, not orange. I never liked candied yams so I'm looking for other ideas but when I google yams, I either get candied yams (yuck) or sweet potato recipes like pie or quick bread.

Any suggestions? A quick bread recipe intrigues me but I'm open to all suggestions.
ImageImageImage x4

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I like yam or sweet potato mashed potatoes. There are lots of things you can add, according to your taste or whim. Since I'm usually making it for a vegan, I substitute sour cream with vegan cream cheese. I've seen eggs added, but I don't add that either. Maple syrup is nice to add a little sweetness if you like.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

tek

Post by tek »

You can just bake 'em like a baked potato. That's how we usually make them here..
I don't think the skin is edible tho, could be wrong on that..
There's no way back
from there to here

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

tek wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:20 pm
You can just bake 'em like a baked potato. That's how we usually make them here..
Don't know about yams, but my mom used to bake sweet potatoes and the skin was delish. I think there's lots of fiber in the skin, but don't quote me on that.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

TexasFilly wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:26 pm
tek wrote:
Don't know about yams, but my mom used to bake sweet potatoes and the skin was delish. I think there's lots of fiber in the skin, but don't quote me on that.
Yeah, they are great just baked!

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:36 pm
TexasFilly wrote:
tek wrote:
With lots of butter. :lovestruck:
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

You can fry sweet potatoes like french fries.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:04 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:36 pm
TexasFilly wrote:

With lots of butter. :lovestruck:
And cinnamon. :lovestruck:

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Sweet potatoes and yams are vile, disgusting, vomitous and an offense against all that is good and pure in this reality and any adjacent realities.

Blech. Crummybuttons.

ETA: sweet potato pie being the one and only possible exception to the rule.
Image Image Image Image Image

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Estiveo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:59 pm
Sweet potatoes and yams are vile, disgusting, vomitous and an offense against all that is good and pure in this reality and any adjacent realities.

Blech. Crummybuttons.
Surely, you jest!

:rotflmao:

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Estiveo wrote:

Blech. Crummybuttons.
Naw, they good food. I like to cook A sweet potato in the microwave (5 min or so) and have half of one with leftover rice for breakfast. Also great roasted with other veg.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

One thing I know from my family. You either love them or hate them. ;)

Cranberries seem to be the same.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Chacun à son goût!
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:like:

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Estivio has obviously never had sweet potato fries. They’re absolutely, decidedly, positively delish. I too bake sweet potatoes and add butter.

There was one sweet potato recipe I used to make when my kids were younger; a Thanksgiving tradition of mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallows. I remember using the regular size in the middle of the ‘casserole’ and completely covering the top with minis. Now THAT was yech!
M A C A Making America Care Again :daydream:

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Screenshot_20200519_122237.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image Image Image Image

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:11 pm
One thing I know from my family. You either love them or hate them. ;)

Cranberries seem to be the same.
As a proud Swamp Yankee from Plymouth County Massachusetts I say cranberries are the finest berries to be found on this planet.

Naturally low in sugar, cranberries are packed with antioxidant polyphenols, essential vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber. Eat some today! :thumbs:

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Estiveo wrote:

Blech. Crummybuttons.

ETA: sweet potato pie being the one and only possible is NO exception to the rule.
:yeah:

FIFY
Birfers are toast

Return to “The Lounge”