Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Supply Chain Bottlenecks

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Re: Supply Chain Bottlenecks

Post by Frater I*I »

Azastan wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:47 am Why are there no supply chain bottlenecks for fireworks?
Perhaps this Rise of China video will explain...

"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

China's economy may not actually be 99.1 percent dependent on fireworks, but the United States sure DOES depend on China shipping them here.

90% of all fireworks in the United States are imported from China.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Azastan wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:59 pm China's economy may not actually be 99.1 percent dependent on fireworks, but the United States sure DOES depend on China shipping them here.

90% of all fireworks in the United States are imported from China.
Fireworks are not perishable goods (if you can keep smokers away). They can be shipped thruout the year. I guess that products for July 4 will have been received by March, in time for distribution to the retail channels.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I have leftover fireworks I'll never use. :(
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I wish there were. A neighbor three doors up set off fireworks for half an hour this evening. We all live in the woods. No one ever set them off around here until he moved in here five years ago. Our last dog, who has been gone a long time, used to be absolutely terrified of them. I'm glad he didn't live here then.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Azastan wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:47 am Why are there no supply chain bottlenecks for fireworks?
Around these here parts, a few cities cancelled their firework shows for lack of fireworks for purchase, and many cities had smaller shows than usual for the same reason. YMMV.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:14 pm

Around these here parts, a few cities cancelled their firework shows for lack of fireworks for purchase, and many cities had smaller shows than usual for the same reason. YMMV.
That's probably because my idiot neighbour down the road, the one who was lighting off aerials and M-80s for THREE HOURS STRAIGHT had them all*. No shortage of illegal fireworks on the reservations.

*I didn't know until yesterday that my next door neighbour had also reported the same two neighbours for illegal fireworks. His dogs, tranquilized as they were, were still shaking and panting, and I spent the entire three hours holding onto my new foster horse so that she wouldn't run through my fencing.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:04 pm
Now that's good news for over-population problem of the world. Maybe the one-child policy is finally bearing fruit?
raison de arizona

Azastan wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:18 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:14 pm

That's probably because my idiot neighbour down the road, the one who was lighting off aerials and M-80s for THREE HOURS STRAIGHT had them all*. No shortage of illegal fireworks on the reservations.

*I didn't know until yesterday that my next door neighbour had also reported the same two neighbours for illegal fireworks. His dogs, tranquilized as they were, were still shaking and panting, and I spent the entire three hours holding onto my new foster horse so that she wouldn't run through my fencing.
What a nightmare. Things were gratefully fairly quiet around here in AZ, but the kid is with his Grandma on Long Island and he had to go stay with his Uncle in town because he was unable to sleep due to the explosions. For two nights straight. One of those nights was put on by the cop in the cul-de-sac, so there was zero that could be done about that one.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:21 pm
What a nightmare. Things were gratefully fairly quiet around here in AZ, but the kid is with his Grandma on Long Island and he had to go stay with his Uncle in town because he was unable to sleep due to the explosions. For two nights straight. One of those nights was put on by the cop in the cul-de-sac, so there was zero that could be done about that one.
Oh, I'd be steamed about that.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Jim wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:20 pm
Volkonski wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:04 pm
Now that's good news for over-population problem of the world. Maybe the one-child policy is finally bearing fruit?
The one-child policy has been bearing fruit for a while, especially in rural areas. But other factors are also in play, which are common to most industrialized countries. As a nation's population urbanizes (and humanity recently reached the milestone of 50% living in cities), the birth rate always falls. The one child policy started the process before the Chinese population started to urbanize but urbanization is a bigger contributor now.

Financial issues, often centered around high urban real estate prices and cost of child care for two working parents, are causing people to worry more, to buy smaller apartments, and to avoid having kids. Changing the one-child policy has done nothing to accelerate the fertility rate, even if significant cash incentives are provided.

This report uses the official 2020 Chinese census data and other sources. But some detailed data that came out this year suggests that the actual population peak was earlier than the 2020 data, and that the Chinese government has overcounted its population significantly. That means the 50% population decline date might be as early as 2050 or 2060.

The only continent that's adding population is Africa, but that's urbanizing rapidly so growth ought to go negative there as well in a generation or so. I haven't tried to figure out when, but it will happen.

The Russian invasion of Ukraine has taken off the market a lot of grain that both countries export. Key customers are Egypt, Lebanon, Pakistan and many other Arab countries, as well as many Sub-Saharan countries in Africa. Most of those get the vast majority of their grain from UKR and RUS. We could have a major global famine this year, accelerating the transition to population decline in some countries that had been seeing rapid population growth.
Jim

Post by Jim »

And that's why I love this board. Thanks JPC
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I wonder if another factor in the decline in the population is China is the imbalance of males to females. I remember how the one-child rule resulted in a higher ratio of boy babies being born compared to female babies.
raison de arizona

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:14 pm I wonder if another factor in the decline in the population is China is the imbalance of males to females. I remember how the one-child rule resulted in a higher ratio of boy babies being born compared to female babies.
I can't imagine it isn't a factor.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've needed a new computer for a while now. I went online to Costco tonight, and inventory is very low with a lot of computers out of stock. There were only a few in my price range, and going up pretty much left me with just Macs, which I didn't want. I went to my saved items, and they had a Dell I was interested in, still $150 off. I pick it up on Thursday! :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:14 pm I wonder if another factor in the decline in the population is China is the imbalance of males to females. I remember how the one-child rule resulted in a higher ratio of boy babies being born compared to female babies.
I was going to joke that the one-child rule isn't bearing fruit for that reason.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:04 pm I've needed a new computer for a while now. I went online to Costco tonight, and inventory is very low with a lot of computers out of stock. There were only a few in my price range, and going up pretty much left me with just Macs, which I didn't want. I went to my saved items, and they had a Dell I was interested in, still $150 off. I pick it up on Thursday! :thumbsup:
The chip shortage, I think, or maybe a lens/glass one, has stopped a possible purchase I was considering. I was thinking about getting a Canon PowerShot so I had something with a much more usable zoom than a phone yet not my big Digital Rebel. I was thinking about that mid-way point camera that is quicker to grab than my bigger one but has better features.

Out of stock. Sigh. I guess I shall wait.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

California truckers protest 'gig worker' law at busiest U.S. seaport

Lisa Baertlein
Thu, July 14, 2022 at 1:17 AM

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Independent truckers who ferry goods to and from the nation's busiest seaport complex in Southern California on Wednesday stopped work to protest a state law that makes it harder for businesses to treat workers as independent contractors rather than employees.

Their actions come at a critical time for California ports involved in high-stakes West Coast labor talks. Retailers, food producers and other shippers are sweating those often-contentious negotiations because any breakdown could upend the fragile U.S. supply chain and stoke soaring inflation. Trucking disruptions threaten to add to that anxiety.

The U.S. Supreme Court last month declined to take up a challenge to California's law known as AB5. Backers say AB5 helps clamp down on labor abuses by companies that use freelance or other so-called "gig" workers. The trucking industry warns that it would devastate the nation's fragile supply chain.

"It is creating enormous uncertainty for truckers who are trying to figure out how they can keep working," said the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA), which represents California's estimated 70,000 independent truckers.

The California Trucking Association (CTA) says AB5 is blocked by federal regulations governing the industry. It asked the U.S. Supreme Court to review a 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling that found that AB5 it is not preempted by the Federal Aviation Administration Authorization Act (FAAAA). That law, which also applies to the trucking industry, prohibits states from regulating prices, routes and services offered by trucking companies.

https://finance.yahoo.com/finance/news/ ... 33684.html
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm sure it's all Biden's fault.

[/sarcasm/
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -shipments
The Rhine Is Inches From Being Too Shallow for Shipments
By

Jack Wittels
18 July 2022 at 18:08 IST

The Rhine Is Inches From Being Too Shallow for Shipments

As Europe bakes in a heatwave, about 14 1/2 inches of water are now all that’s preventing parts of the continent from being effectively cut-off from supplies of vital commodities.

That’s the gap -- just under the height of a bowling pin -- between the current water level at a key bottleneck on the Rhine in western Germany and the point at which barges can usefully navigate the river. A further drop is forecast for tomorrow -- though it’s less than two inches.

The current 77 centimeter (30 inches) water level at the bottleneck, called Kaub, is the lowest seasonally since at least 2007. If it drops a further 37 centimeters or more, it becomes uneconomical for barges carrying commodities to sail past this point, according to Joerg Belz, a representative for Germany’s Federal Institute for Hydrology.

Vital River

Millions of tons of commodities are shipped up and down the Rhine, which flows for roughly 800 miles (1,288-kilometers) from Switzerland to the North Sea.

The lack of water is already hampering the shipment of coal and oil products up the river. Historical data show that Kaub’s water level tends to keep on falling from now until early October.

See also: Lack of Water in Europe’s Most Important River Starts to Bite

In reality, barges may be able to pass through Kaub when the water is at 40 centimeters, or even lower -- but the tiny amount of cargo they will be able to carry will mean it’s not worth the journey, given the costs of fuel, crew and other expenses, Belz said.
Article from last week
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Yeah - happens every so often. Not necessarily to the point where barge movements come to a stop. More often in advance to this barges cannot be fully loaded making shipping costs rise per unit transported to the point where captains will lose out getting no contracts. This hurts the supply chain into Switzerland massively. The alternate railway transports for bulk goods from the sea ports like Rotterdam don't have the reserve capacity to take over.
raison de arizona

Ford Delays F-150 Deliveries Due to a Shortage of Blue Oval Badges: Report
Supply-chain issues rear their head yet again as Ford struggles to find blue ovals and model badges to put on new vehicles.

It’s a story that’s become familiar since the start of the pandemic and continues to this day: Ford is holding back vehicles due to a parts shortage. Mainly, the automaker has run out of its trademark blue-oval badges, along with vehicle model nameplates.

Ford is currently holding back as many as 45,000 vehicles due to parts shortages, though the automaker declined to comment on how a shortage of blue-oval badges plays into the delays. Sources told the Wall Street Journal that is indeed the case:
:snippity:
https://jalopnik.com/ford-f150-delayed- ... 1849574563
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I know what I'm about to say is heresy to Car lovers, but cant they just paint on the Badge and ship them? :bag:
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Economy”