Re: Fogbow Arts and Crafts Club

Post by Lani »

YIKES! Sharia Law!

How to Wrap a Keffiyeh
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to ... -Keffiyeh/

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My niece, who works in an emergency vet clinic, posted a video of a doctor talking about making your own face mask. It's similar to what we've seen, but the part I found interesting was that she used material from a furnace filter as a barrier insert. So I looked and found an article from the New York Times - What’s the Best Material for a Mask? - which stated that HEPA furnace filters scored well. It turns out that the furnace filters I use on my 40 year old furnace wouldn't qualify, but here is a link to 3M's website where they compare their furnace filters. The ones with an MPR (microparticle performance rating) of 1500 do filter out viruses.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

An article on creating a face mask using origami with a link to a pattern - Origami artist turns to folding face masks amid pandemic need.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:56 pm
My niece, who works in an emergency vet clinic, posted a video of a doctor talking about making your own face mask. It's similar to what we've seen, but the part I found interesting was that she used material from a furnace filter as a barrier insert. So I looked and found an article from the New York Times - What’s the Best Material for a Mask? - which stated that HEPA furnace filters scored well. It turns out that the furnace filters I use on my 40 year old furnace wouldn't qualify, but here is a link to 3M's website where they compare their furnace filters. The ones with an MPR (microparticle performance rating) of 1500 do filter out viruses.
And the vast majority of them contain microparticles of spun glass....better known as fiberglass. There's a reason they don't use that stuff for face masks.

Blue shop towels are the current filter du jour...but do you really want something that is designed to be absorbent getting sneezed on and then being stuck to your face for hours?

Coffee filters.....filter out around 20 microns. An N95 mask filters down to .03 microns.

The polypropylene bags are probably the most effective filters but you have to use 2 layers of them and they get hard to breathe through, which defeats the purpose of wearing a mask anyway if you continue to take it away from your nose and mouth to breathe. Adding any type of filter, beyond a flannel lining, buys you less than 10% improvement in efficiency and (except for the bags) either can't be washed, or can be washed a very limited number of times. They certainly won't withstand daily washing and maintain the filtering.

I'm not sure why everyone is so hell bent on using filters on non-medical mask applications anyway. The home sewn masks are NOT intended for use anywhere near someone who has tested positive. They are to protect other people from you, not to protect you from other people.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

And that wasn't directed specifically at you MN. Just a general rant about all the shit they're putting in people's lungs trying to find the "perfect" filter. To me, using stuff like furnace filters is akin to giving people untested drugs.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:43 pm
I'm not sure why everyone is so hell bent on using filters on non-medical mask applications anyway. The home sewn masks are NOT intended for use anywhere near someone who has tested positive. They are to protect other people from you, not to protect you from other people.
It's really pretty easy. People are scared and they want to protect themselves and their loved ones to the best of their ability. It's when people are scared the most that they'll believe anything which comes from a source they trust and makes sense to them. And that's what makes Trump and Fox News so very dangerous.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:54 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:43 pm
It's really pretty easy. People are scared and they want to protect themselves and their loved ones to the best of their ability. It's when people are scared the most that they'll believe anything which comes from a source they trust and makes sense to them. And that's what makes Trump and Fox News so very dangerous.
Good point. I didn't even think of that because it sounds more dangerous to me to use untested products than it does to leave out the filter.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

The conversation about sewing machines on another thread caught my eye.

I am not a sewer. The last time I sewed was in 8th grade home ec (about 1967). However, that did not stop me from buying a sewing machine in the early '80s, after we bought our house. If I remember right, it was a Sears. I seem to remember that I never could get the tension right on the threads so I just put the machine in the basement where is continues to reside, buried under other stuff in a back room.

So... is it worthwhile to dig that machine up and try to use it? Or should I consider buying a new sewing machine? Is there a good basic machine you could recommend? Are there any stores open which would carry a machine you'd recommend? Or is there a place to order one from? I have a flexible budget so I don't need to penny pinch; I would just want a decent machine that would work without overwhelming me.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Your old machine would probably not work. It might, but if you were frustrated before, it likely hasn’t gotten any better over time. You could get a decent-enough machine for under $200. They had some Brothers at my local Walmart today (but I’m in BFE, might be harder to find in town).
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:13 pm
The conversation about sewing machines on another thread caught my eye.

I am not a sewer. The last time I sewed was in 8th grade home ec (about 1967). However, that did not stop me from buying a sewing machine in the early '80s, after we bought our house. If I remember right, it was a Sears. I seem to remember that I never could get the tension right on the threads so I just put the machine in the basement where is continues to reside, buried under other stuff in a back room.

So... is it worthwhile to dig that machine up and try to use it? Or should I consider buying a new sewing machine? Is there a good basic machine you could recommend? Are there any stores open which would carry a machine you'd recommend? Or is there a place to order one from? I have a flexible budget so I don't need to penny pinch; I would just want a decent machine that would work without overwhelming me.
https://www.allbrands.com/
Look for the options you want and check out the daily deal or featured machines or whatever they call it. If you have a question, I have found them to be very responsive. Their customer service is great and I think shipping on my last new machine I bought from them was something stupid like $25. And then buy a Viking. :)

Your old machine might be fine. If it's a branded Kenmore, it was most likely made by either Janome or Viking during that time period.

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist »

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:13 pm
I am not a sewer.
Neither am I, despite having been told on multiple occasions that I am full of shit. Oh, wait...

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Ol' Wifehorn got us some masks made by someone she knows, and would like some feedback from the pros.

Front:

Closeup:

Back:

Some geezer weirdo pretending to wear it ...

It's pretty comfortable, and it seems sturdy enough to put in the washer and dryer. I think it's all cotton with like shoelaces for ties. Anything obviously wrong with it?
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

The most obvious problem I see are the gaps on the sides.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I don't understand. The black side pieces are pretty well sewn on to the main one. I didn't really tie it properly for the photo, my shoulder is still sore from crashing my bike. I could get it to wrap more tightly across my neck, is that what you mean?

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

It looks from the photo that there’s a gap between the side of the mask and your face.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Ah, yes there probably was. I didn't have it tied properly. I tried again, which was painful to my shoulder but it didn't leave that gap.

Still, I'm only going to wear it to the grocery store. Outdoors on the Greenway I don't think I need it.

Thanks, Maybenaut.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Remember, the purpose of masks is to protect others from you. If the mask is loose and you sneeze or coughs, those droplets would shoot out the sides.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

If I'm sneezing or coughing I won't be out in public. But of course I'll wear the mask properly in public, regardless. I plan NOT to be a spreader. If possible, I'm going to avoid the virus entirely. :pray:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:45 pm
If I'm sneezing or coughing I won't be out in public. But of course I'll wear the mask properly in public, regardless. I plan NOT to be a spreader. If possible, I'm going to avoid the virus entirely. :pray:
That’s my plan, too. I know this doesn’t hold true for everyone, but if I get it (assuming I don’t have it already, but I think it’s unlikely) it will be because I’ve been careless. I’ve got lots of food to eat and plenty to keep me occupied. I won’t need to come within a quarter mile of another human for quite some time.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

The sides are never going to lie correctly because of the width of the sides. They should be no more than 3" max. Basically the same distance as your ear where it connects to your face. And the width of the mask across your face should stop 1/2 to 1" in front of your ears.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Costco has a Janome Sewist 740DC for $500. Would that be a good choice?

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Foggy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:08 pm
Ah, yes there probably was. I didn't have it tied properly. I tried again, which was painful to my shoulder but it didn't leave that gap.

Still, I'm only going to wear it to the grocery store. Outdoors on the Greenway I don't think I need it.

Thanks, Maybenaut.
It appears as though the ties are free moving inside the side seams, so you should be able to easily "scrunch up" the sides to make it more snugly fitting.

I'm making mine pretty much the same except with pleats and instead of fabric ties I'm doing the same kind of side seams with elastic. Then, I'm using a polymer clay bead, which I'm making by the dozens, to pull the elastic through and then the bead is used to snug the elastic to the right size. My shoulder is also sore. After giving some to family and friends I'm inundated with orders and up all night after work making them. I need to lower my sewing table a smidge, which I will do tonight.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Thanks, Sugar M. and RVInit. I think these will be workable for going to the grocery store, which is about the only place I go now (and not often). Even there, I don't get within 2 meters of other Earthlings.

I have 50 disposable masks on the way from Amazon, but they won't be here until late April / early May. I ordered those a few weeks ago, before ol' Wifehorn ordered these. I don't think, unless someone in my family gets sick, that I'd have any use for N95 masks. 'Course, if one of us gets sick, we all will, before we know about it.

But I did pass the word to her, and she will pass it to the lady who sewed these, that the sides should be 3" and not as wide as she made these. :bighug:

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:59 pm
Another 75 today before I threw them all in the washer. Orders for about 40 for friends tomorrow, then back to the mass production for the state.

Today's total; 384
:thumbs:
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeah:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Return to “The Lounge”