Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Georgia Guidestones Attack

These people suck. They are bad people.
Dr. Ken

Georgia Guidestones Attack

Post by Dr. Ken »

I wasn't sure where to put this as we don't have a general conspiracy theorists topic that I could find in the search. Anyway this has been a conspiracy by nutters for years surrounding the tablets in Georgia. Well today someone tried to blow them up

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Dr. Ken

Re: Georgia Guidestones Attack

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Never heard of them and now it's not clear to me if anyone is caught they would be charged — the landowner is the county?
Domenico

Post by Domenico »

I think that Kandiss Taylor did it. If you haven't already seen it, John Oliver did a story on the guidestones a few weeks ago. I have cued it up to the guidstones bit, but it is worth watching the whole thing (only 17 minutes).

Domenico

Post by Domenico »

Domenico wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:04 am I think that Kandiss Taylor did it. If you haven't already seen it, John Oliver did a story on the guidestones a few weeks ago. I have it set to start at the guidstones bit, but it is worth watching the whole thing (only 17 minutes).

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Weird. The same text was written in eight different languages on the faces of four slabs, so the massage was left intact, but now only in six languages. I wonder which languages the bomber targeted?

A few years back, I and a group were talking about a proposal to build a warning sign for atomic waste. It was supposed to last thousands of years and the messages were to be designed so future generations would have a good chance of deciphering them. Somebody said something to the effect of don't write anything in arabic, because who cares about them. (He was kind of a pathetic person). I just wonder if who ever bombed the monument had a similar sentiment.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

From Wiki

---------------------

On July 6, 2022, an explosion hit the stones, destroying the Swahili/Hindi language slab and causing significant damage to the capstone.

On May 1, 2022, Kandiss Taylor, a candidate running in the Georgia Republican gubernatorial primary, released a campaign ad calling for the destruction of the Guidestones. Taylor later attributed the partial destruction of the Guidestones to an act of God.

----------------------

I'm surprised that GOD :oldman: needs man made explosives... :shrug:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I'm rather conflicted about this.

On the one hand, its an art installation with an interesting backstory and should be left alone to be enjoyed.

On the other hand, its messages are clearly promoting eugenics and should be wiped out so as not to be spreading filth.

On the other foot, RWNJ's have glommed onto it as a Satanic Portal so it should be kept in place to keep their focus on something other than their neighbour's wombs.

On the other foot, I understand it was erected on County land without permission, and really shouldn't be there.

I dunno. Wheels within wheels.

How about using it for the local militia hand grenade training ground and paint ball battle field?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

keith wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:06 am

On the other foot, I understand it was erected on County land without permission, and really shouldn't be there.
The 5-acre (2-hectare)[2] site was apparently purchased by Christian on October 1, 1979,from farm owner Wayne Mullenix.
:snippity:
Christian later transferred ownership of the land and the guidestones to Elbert County.[2]
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

keith wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:06 am I'm rather conflicted about this.

On the other hand, its messages are clearly promoting eugenics and should be wiped out so as not to be spreading filth.
I'm not clear that's true of all the messages, or that that's what the messages as a whole mean. I highlighted the troublesome one. Unless I'm missing something, the rest are fairly benign. I like "personal rights with social duties"-a concept that pootdom has rejected. The last one isn't bad either.
Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity.
Unite humanity with a living new language.
Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason.
Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
Balance personal rights with social duties.
Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
Be not a cancer on the Earth — Leave room for nature
As noted, the land went to the county later, with the farmer retaining grazing rights.

I suspect tourism for this county will be reduced.

It'd be interesting if Kandiss what's-her-name hired someone with campaign money.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

And even that statement isn't awful. It's not like Eugenicists of the past. It's moderate by comparison - keep the population down to a manageable size, promote health, and promote diversity. Simple advise. Eugenicists were closeted bigots that rose out of the ashes of the Civil War trying to say white people were the master race without saying that. They didn't want diversity beyond blond or brunette.

The fact that this thing garnered so much attention suggests it challenged Left and Right principles, which also suggests it was too close to the truth to stand. It was just a matter of time before someone destroyed it.

The fact it happened in these times suggests a Trumpy Christian did it. This was their Taliban tearing down Idols moment to chasten non-believers.

If we treat this like a TV murder mystery, the perp was nearby watching the police and media as they combed for clues. They have ties to the area. They are not expert at demolition.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:25 am And even that statement isn't awful. It's not like Eugenicists of the past. It's moderate by comparison - keep the population down to a manageable size, promote health, and promote diversity. Simple advise. Eugenicists were closeted bigots that rose out of the ashes of the Civil War trying to say white people were the master race without saying that. They didn't want diversity beyond blond or brunette.
I can see it as being construed as pro-abortion-don't finish out pregnancies where there's trouble. That's a big issue for many-some don't want to have a disabled child; others feel blessed by them. I know some people in the latter category who are happy they didn't choose abortion but they don't quite get that they aren't everyone. They don't want abortion to be available because someone else might make the same mistake they almost did-and not realize it was a mistake because they'd made it. (Yeah, figure that out.)

I like the tenor of most of these messages and wonder where they came from (the mystery part). I wonder if they're "satanic" because they're in different scripts and languages vs. being in just plain 'murcan.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Also, I can see this as not flying among evangelicals:
Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I think if people are trying to bash the messages into supporting one side of a cause or another, then they succeeded in being centrist and vague enough to piss everyone off.
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I just hope this doesn't inspire a bunch of copycats going after other monuments they don't agree with.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:49 am I just hope this doesn't inspire a bunch of copycats going after other monuments they don't agree with.
Yeah, but I could see that being said of the dismantling of Confederate, Columbus, and other monuments. "You just didn't agree with them!"
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I have no objection to the removal of monuments done legally by the owners. I worry about individuals bombing anything they don't happen to like.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Stone Mountain could do with some renovations :whistle:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

It's just doing fine just now - the fifth figurehead was not approved :twisted:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:02 am I have no objection to the removal of monuments done legally by the owners. I worry about individuals bombing anything they don't happen to like.
No argument from me. I wonder if they’ll get caught or be ignored/get a light slapping.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Off Topic
I didn't save the link (sorry), but I saw a headline this morning stating that America's Stonehenge was blown up. I'm not familiar with the Georgia structure and how it's thought of locally, but for completeness (as Bob would say), IMHO this Stonehenge replica in WA State is more to my thinking of America's Stonehenge :biggrin:

https://www.maryhillmuseum.org/outside/ ... e-memorial

Very, very cool place to visit, as is the Maryhill museum and grounds.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:45 am
Off Topic
I didn't save the link (sorry), but I saw a headline this morning stating that America's Stonehenge was blown up. I'm not familiar with the Georgia structure and how it's thought of locally, but for completeness (as Bob would say), IMHO this Stonehenge replica in WA State is more to my thinking of America's Stonehenge :biggrin:

https://www.maryhillmuseum.org/outside/ ... e-memorial

Very, very cool place to visit, as is the Maryhill museum and grounds.
The Georgia structure *might* be considered a megalith, but it's definitely not Stonehenge nor does it seem to have a ceremonial purpose.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Snopes printed an AP article about this

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2022/07/07/ge ... r-bombing/

It made me laugh reading that the Pseudonym used by the erector was "R.C. Christian." Gives one explanation why it would be called satanic in certain circles :mrgreen:
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:05 am Stone Mountain could do with some renovations :whistle:
Easy peasy. Spray it with seeds, is my understanding. It takes a lot of work to keep it plant and weed free.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”