Ron DeSantis

These people suck. They are bad people.
Danraft

Re: Ron DeSantis

Post by Danraft »

Biden is worse than Trump by comparison (approval ratings… see link in this post)
Trump was never popular, but at least peoples retirement accounts were healthy
This has more to do with “direction of country”
Yikes
Yikes
2313C595-986D-48F8-8380-E07AB23D4806.jpeg (370.99 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
Presidential_approval
Presidential_approval
8CC52105-C7C2-4DDD-958E-1C4D5E958937.jpeg (250.91 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
Trump hasn’t announced or won the candidacy. Biden is the de facto candidate (by tradition).

I have daily contact with a wide range of peeps, but most clearly with the younger people is disenchantment with having those at the top end of American life expectancy as president. See thread “Getting old sucks” for context.

But, yes, let’s all put on “optimistic” hats and lose a crucial election by unforced error.
Suranis wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:33 am
Danraft wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:46 pm I am sure you at least aware of Biden approval ratings?
Yes, just like I was aware of Obama's "Historically low" approval ratings in his second year. All Presidents have low approval in their Second year, it's just the way it goes.

They are still better than the Lard in Marry Lardo managed through his entire Presidency. And somehow people over there have been convinced he is gonna win. :shrug:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Danraft wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:46 pm To me, this is a Jimmy Carter moment ...
I don't know what that means. IIRC, Jimmy lost in 1980 to Ronald Reagan. And then ... :?:
But, yes, let’s all put on “optimistic” hats and lose a crucial election by unforced error.
Do we have to decide this week? Because it sure seems like there are more than two years before the next presidential election.

:think:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Danraft wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:54 am Biden is worse than Trump by comparison (approval ratings…
The point was that Trump NEVER had an uptick in his Presidency. Saying he is worse RIGHT NOW would only be concerning if the election was tomorrow not 2 and a half years away. Every President has a down patch in the middle of his term then he gets more popular as election gets closer. Even Carter.

The Mighty Reagan trended down from 68% till he hit 35% in January 28-31st 1983 (day 741) when he started going up again, according to Gallup. https://news.gallup.com/interactives/18 ... enter.aspx

Barack Obama? Hit a low of 40% on August 8-14 2011 (day 943) and then started trending up.

And yet people behave like Tramp would be a shoe in and its all inevitable. Bull Shit.

PLUS "what the hell does "concerned with the direction of the country" mean anyway. If you were a confirmed NRA humper you could be concerned that Gun Control laws are spreading across the country, for example. That guy would never vote for Biden anyway. Its a vague and useless metric.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I am certainly concerned about the direction of our country. I think all urban liberal weenies like myself should be.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:10 am I am certainly concerned about the direction of our country. I think all urban liberal weenies like myself should be.
Ya but it could be that you are blaming republicans for obstruction. It does not mean you are blaming Biden.
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Suranis wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:11 am
Foggy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:10 am I am certainly concerned about the direction of our country. I think all urban liberal weenies like myself should be.
Ya but it could be that you are blaming republicans for obstruction. It does not mean you are blaming Biden.
A political analyst told me American voters dislike a deadlocked congress so things aren't getting done, and they also dislike one party in control of both executive and legislative. I have yet to reconcile those two things.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I think the best way to reconcile them is to realize that Americans are generally grumpy.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:28 am I think the best way to reconcile them is to realize that Americans are generally grumpy.
Yep, and as much as I hear relatively well-off people I know whine about gas and inflation and food costs and Let's Go Brandon, I don't see them starving.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:23 am
Suranis wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:11 am
A political analyst told me American voters dislike a deadlocked congress so things aren't getting done, and they also dislike one party in control of both executive and legislative. I have yet to reconcile those two things.

Flat Earther Astronomy Club
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

This may be better somewhere else, but what are the various deadlines? Each state has deadlines to be on their ballot (for president), and prior to that quite a bit happens.

Setting aside all interpretations of what poll8ng means, etc., if Biden became convinced, for whatever reason, by what point does that need to happen to allow for debates and the entire nomination process to work correctly?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Even if a candidate loses the primary in a given state, they will be on the ballot in November in that state if they win the primaries/caucuses in other states, and win the nomination.

So when you ask about deadlines, they're the same as always - the primary elections, followed by the nomination conventions.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I hate surveys which only tell part of the story. The survey which asks Americans "Are you happy with the direction the country is going?" is a reasonable question IF you follow it up with a question about what direction it should be going in. I'm certainly not happy with the direction this country is going in, but that's because of the idiotic MAGAs and the horrible Supreme Court. That does NOT mean that I want to vote out Biden or the Democrats who represent me in Congress.

It reminds me of the often cited statistic of "national labor force participation rate." Without asking why the rate is increasing or decreasing, people make assumptions. As the economy recovered under Obama, the unemployment rate dropped, so Republicans could not use that to criticize Obama. Instead they turned to the national labor force participation rate and criticized Obama for not increasing that participation. I would point out to those folks that a drop in the rate could have indicated a positive economy wherein people felt comfortable enough to retire, to stay at home with their young children, or to attend school rather than drop out to work. But, without asking follow up questions as to why people were not working, you're left guessing and forming your own conclusions to support whatever position you're pushing.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Danraft wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:02 pm ... if Biden became convinced, for whatever reason ...
Convinced to what?
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:12 pm I hate surveys which only tell part of the story. The survey which asks Americans "Are you happy with the direction the country is going?" is a reasonable question IF you follow it up with a question about what direction it should be going in. I'm certainly not happy with the direction this country is going in, but that's because of the idiotic MAGAs and the horrible Supreme Court. That does NOT mean that I want to vote out Biden or the Democrats who represent me in Congress.

It reminds me of the often cited statistic of "national labor force participation rate." Without asking why the rate is increasing or decreasing, people make assumptions. As the economy recovered under Obama, the unemployment rate dropped, so Republicans could not use that to criticize Obama. Instead they turned to the national labor force participation rate and criticized Obama for not increasing that participation. I would point out to those folks that a drop in the rate could have indicated a positive economy wherein people felt comfortable enough to retire, to stay at home with their young children, or to attend school rather than drop out to work. But, without asking follow up questions as to why people were not working, you're left guessing and forming your own conclusions to support whatever position you're pushing.
:yeahthat:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

As with everything Desantis, his constant travels around the country raising money from rich GOP donors was unannounced, no press allowed, nobody commenting, and the money keeps pouring in. Wonder what Trump thinks of him continuing to siphon off his cash?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I'm telling ya....

Mark Leibovich says Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' reelection isn't 'a sure thing,' as Republicans increasingly view him as a potential 2024 presidential contender
Leibovich ... remarked on DeSantis' gubernatorial race this fall, where he will face either Democratic Rep. Charlie Crist — who previously served as the state's governor from 2007 to 2011 and was initially elected as a Republican — or Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried.

In 2018, DeSantis narrowly defeated his Democratic challenger, then-Tallahassee mayor Andrew Gillum, by 0.4 percentage points, or a little over 32,000 votes out of more than 8.2 million ballots cast.

"The state is pretty swingy," Leibovich said. "DeSantis' reelection is not a sure thing right now."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/mark-leibovi ... 52003.html

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Off Topic
Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:33 am mr520 read recently about a Jefferson Family reunion to which one descendent invited the Sally Hemings branch of the family tree. The white Jeffersonians refused to allow them to attend.
I'm just catching up on this thread, but this makes me irrationally angry. Or rationally. Assholes. It's one thing to deny history, it's another to deny living breathing humans.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:18 pm
Off Topic
Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:33 am mr520 read recently about a Jefferson Family reunion to which one descendent invited the Sally Hemings branch of the family tree. The white Jeffersonians refused to allow them to attend.
I'm just catching up on this thread, but this makes me irrationally angry. Or rationally. Assholes. It's one thing to deny history, it's another to deny living breathing humans.
FWIW I'm pretty sure the Hemings descendants are welcomed by some of the "official" family, notably by Lucian Truscott IV, a writer who I've long admired. Not only did he write Dress Grey, he was one of the original West Point cadets to sue over mandatory chapel attendance at the Military Academies. (which SCOTUS did not finally kill until 1972.)

I checked, here is the wiki about it
Wiki wrote:After the DNA study was made public, Association member Lucian Truscott IV met some of his Hemings cousins on The Oprah Winfrey Show and invited them as guests to the associations' 1999 annual meeting. The president of the association did not allow a vote on whether to include the descendants as honorary members, saying this status was reserved for persons at the University of Virginia and the Thomas Jefferson Foundation. A majority of the association members voted to require additional studies before deciding on membership of Hemings descendants. Members such as Lucian K. Truscott IV and some others publicly disagreed with this decision. The association's decision precluded Hemings' descendants from burial at the privately owned Jefferson family cemetery at Monticello, a privilege reserved to members.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

'Inner circle'? He sells himself pretty low, doesn't he?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Desantis. Circles Of Hell, free adaption of Dante Alighieri.

though it seem that Desantis got stuck in the darker side of the Middle Ages.

:twisted:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Less than half what The Mad King charges!

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

From Politico quoting J.B. Pritzker of Illinois attacking fellow Guv Ron DeSantis of Florida:

“[Former Illinois Governor Bruce] Rauner and [Billionare GOP-backer Ken] Griffin claim that they don’t come from the Donald Trump wing of the Republican Party,” Pritzker said. “Instead, they would say that they’re DeSantis Republicans, which is a little bit like saying that you’ve never been a fan of Darth Vader but you support the Empire’s political agenda.”
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:12 pm I hate surveys which only tell part of the story.
This is the nature of surveys. The answers are shaped by the questions asked, and what they do or don't include. Even when the pollster is trying to be completely forthright, it's too easy for observers to pick and choose whatever result they want. Waste of time, the lot of them.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

She says, "Full stop." But, we all know what the rest of it was, "That is why the State of Florida and my husband Ron DeSantis will be making it illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to read or possess a Bible. They will also be removed from libraries and hotel rooms."
Casey DeSantis @CaseyDeSantis wrote: Speaking on behalf of A LOT of moms across the state, we do not want our children exposed to inappropriate sexualized content. Full stop.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Worst of the Right-Wing Pieholes”