🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Patagoniagirl

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Patagoniagirl »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:46 pm
Volkonski wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:40 pm Our older daughter's medical insurance stopped covering a pill she has taken daily for years. Wants her to use a generic that she does not tolerate well. :mad:

She's going to her doctor once she gets back to Texas next week.
When I was still working in family practice I sent all of our patients to the Costco pharmacy. I don’t know if there is a Costco anywhere near your daughter but they have the best prices of all on prescription drugs (or at least they use to) and you do not need a membership to use their pharmacy, it's open to the public. If there is one in her vicinity it would be well worth at least giving them a call to check the price.
I believe Costco still has a mail order pharmacy. When Mister and I were travelers, I ordered his meds (which were about $800+/month before Costco) and had them sent to my mother who reboxed and sent it on to wherever we were. Best pharmacy ever.
https://www.costco.com/pharmacy/about-h ... ivery.html
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:wave:

Hello, everyone. I've been gone for a while, lots of stuff going on, mostly not good, but some of it good. I won't get into gory and not good stuff, at leat not today. I grapple a bit with depression now and then, and have a tendency to cut off contact with the outside world during those times. I haven't been in a good place emotionally for a long time. I stopped in a couple of times to read a handful of posts now and then, but really wasn't in a good place to post anything myself.

But I did manage to make a move during this time as well. I moved much closer to my mother so I can help her out more without the long exhausting drive several times a week. I am a little less than a five minute drive to her house now. I take all the ingredients to make dinner to her house every night after work and cook dinner for the two of us with leftovers for lunch for both of us the next day. That is working out well. She has completely lost sight in one of her eyes, but still seeing well enough to slowly get around on her own and so far I don't think there is any danger for her to stay in her own home by herself. She keeps her house so hot I had to buy a portable fan to wear around my neck. It works pretty well! I even use it outside every now and then. It moves the air really well and the output vents go all around so the air comes out all around your neck. I rarely have to put it on the highest speed.

I'm slowly trying to climb out of the pit I've been in, dragged my camera and video equipment out and bought new batteries and chargers. Trying to get myself out and interacting with the world again. I guess it's a slow process.

It's good to read the posts, but my gosh I have a ton of catching up to do. I figure I can catch up in about a month or so if I stick with it. :lol:

Ok, just wanted to say hello after being gone a while. Carry on...
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Welcome back, and (((big hugs))) for you RV.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

RVInit wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:56 am :wave:

Hello, everyone. I've been gone for a while, lots of stuff going on, mostly not good, but some of it good. I won't get into gory and not good stuff, at leat not today. I grapple a bit with depression now and then, and have a tendency to cut off contact with the outside world during those times. I haven't been in a good place emotionally for a long time. I stopped in a couple of times to read a handful of posts now and then, but really wasn't in a good place to post anything myself.

But I did manage to make a move during this time as well. I moved much closer to my mother so I can help her out more without the long exhausting drive several times a week. I am a little less than a five minute drive to her house now. I take all the ingredients to make dinner to her house every night after work and cook dinner for the two of us with leftovers for lunch for both of us the next day. That is working out well. She has completely lost sight in one of her eyes, but still seeing well enough to slowly get around on her own and so far I don't think there is any danger for her to stay in her own home by herself. She keeps her house so hot I had to buy a portable fan to wear around my neck. It works pretty well! I even use it outside every now and then. It moves the air really well and the output vents go all around so the air comes out all around your neck. I rarely have to put it on the highest speed.

I'm slowly trying to climb out of the pit I've been in, dragged my camera and video equipment out and bought new batteries and chargers. Trying to get myself out and interacting with the world again. I guess it's a slow process.

It's good to read the posts, but my gosh I have a ton of catching up to do. I figure I can catch up in about a month or so if I stick with it. :lol:

Ok, just wanted to say hello after being gone a while. Carry on...
So glad you checked in. And I absolutely get the dropping out for a while. I have the same tendencies though I (sadly) found TFB the kindest, most understanding and helpful family evah. I'm hoping you soon find some good spaces.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Love you, RVInit, and my auto-complete still has you memorized! :lovestruck:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

You know the rule - if you can hear the party, you're invited.

On my after dinner walk last night, I saw one of my neighbors (and friends) was having a family thing of some kind. A *BIG* family thing. No one was dressed in black, a ton of kids were playing in the yard, and the teen yoots had clustered waaaaay over in a dark corner by the trees hammering on their phones. So, I felt comfortable to walk up the drive to check it out. Mrs_Neighbor's father was there to celebrate his 106 BD with his wife of +80 years. She's a spritely 99. Five generations spilling out of that house.

So, I went home to get my one and only bottle of Irish whiskey (Old Cork) and a handful of plastic cups to share. I emptied it in the first round. Salute! I got caught up with some of the people I've met in prior parties. All of us are older. I got introduced to new husbands and wives, new babies, and kids that aren't kids any more.

106 years old and they are both still getting around. Can you imagine?
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Feel good post, Bill!
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

keith wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:20 am
keith wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:23 am I gotz a code inda dose.
It aint a cold.

I did a RATS and I'm positive for the dreadded lurgy

Symptoms almost gone already, but I have to stay isolated till the 10th
Yeah, it's difficult to avoid catching it sooner or later with so many around the world having dropped many precautions.

So, I wasn't surprised to become a victim in February, even after being fairly careful, and now I expect it to happen again with some variants increasing in Europe. It's not going to go away, certainly not for a long while.

Glad to hear you only had mild symptoms. And :thumbsup: for planning not to spread it further, well done!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Hi RV! :wave: Have missed you!

It’s wise to withdraw from bad news and sad news for however long you need. We hold space for you in many ways.

I want to build a retreat in my back yard. It will have a hammock and speakers and diffusers, and the song ( which I’d like maybenaut to write) “La-La-La I Can’t Hear You” playing softly in the background. Come join me next time you’re out here.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:bighug: Thank you to everyone who responded here and in the Jan 6 thread, I am truly touched.

I would love to join you, "520", in that hammock with Maybenaut's song playing softly in the background. It's been a rough time, but I'm hanging on and starting to crawl out. :bighug:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
June bug

Post by June bug »

:bighug: :lovestruck:
Lani

Post by Lani »

RVInit wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:47 pm :bighug: Thank you to everyone who responded here and in the Jan 6 thread, I am truly touched.

I would love to join you, "520", in that hammock with Maybenaut's song playing softly in the background. It's been a rough time, but I'm hanging on and starting to crawl out. :bighug:
I really appreciate your post. You helped me. I just realized that I've been very withdrawn for 2 years.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lani wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:30 pm
RVInit wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:47 pm :bighug: Thank you to everyone who responded here and in the Jan 6 thread, I am truly touched.

I really appreciate your post. You helped me. I just realized that I've been very withdrawn for 2 years.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Hugs all around, Lani and RVinit. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

meanwhile on TX beaches

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Looking for a recommendation for a PDF to Kindle/similar converter. TIA.
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

There was a short video of Ronald Reagan walking down the Mall when the Marine Band knew just what to play.....

Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:48 am Looking for a recommendation for a PDF to Kindle/similar converter. TIA.
There's a "Send to Kindle" thing (not a phone app, it's for a laptop or desktop running Windows), you get it from Amazon, and then you can send PDFs to your Kindle, BUT NOTE: you can't adjust font size and stuff like a Kindle book. Some PDFs look great, others are hard to read. Have to experiment.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle
Edit: I forget if you have to install Kindle for Windows first,on your computer.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:40 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:48 am Looking for a recommendation for a PDF to Kindle/similar converter. TIA.
There's a "Send to Kindle" thing (not a phone app, it's for a laptop or desktop running Windows), you get it from Amazon, and then you can send PDFs to your Kindle, BUT NOTE: you can't adjust font size and stuff like a Kindle book. Some PDFs look great, others are hard to read. Have to experiment.
Yeah, I have that. I wasn't clear. I'm looking for an app that converts PDFs to something like epub, mobi, etc. (although Amazon's going to stop supporting mobi). I see mixed comments about Calibre.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I tried Calibre long ago, I forget whether I liked it or not, but I don't use it today.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

My ancient Kindle does PDF.

but search "pdf to mobi converter"

There will be some cloud / internet service offers.

ETA i see the references to Amazon terminating forwarding MOBI to the devices by August 2022.

Note: from desktop or notebook use usb cable to directly transfer files to the Kindle device.

from last year
We listened to your feedback and are making it simpler to publish eBooks on Kindle. Starting June 28, 2021, we will no longer support files in MOBI, PRC or AZK formats when publishing new reflowable eBooks or updating the content for previously published eBooks. Instead, we ask publishers to use EPUB, KPF (Kindle Create files), or DOC/DOCX (Microsoft Word files) files for reflowable eBooks. Please note MOBI files are still accepted for fixed-layout eBooks.
You don’t need to take any action for reflowable eBooks already published unless you are updating the eBook files. If you are uploading new or updated content, see our Kindle Publishing Guidelines: https://kdp.amazon.com/help/topic/G79CTKR8BX79E96L

https://the-digital-reader.com/2021/03/ ... s-in-june/
recently
Amazon Dropping MOBI Support on Send to Kindle Apps
May 3, 2022 by Nathan

Last week the news broke about Amazon now allowing Kindle users to send ePub files to Kindles by email, and how the Send to Kindle apps will be getting ePub support later in 2022 as well.

There was also a smaller news story that was revealed at the same time that’s worth discussing as well. While it’s good to hear Amazon is finally adding support for DRM-free ePub files to the Kindle Personal Documents Service, they also announced that they are going to be dropping support for the older MOBI format.

Books in MOBI format don’t have access some of the newer features like custom fonts and the ability to control font boldness. However, one of the nice things about sideloaded MOBI books is the book covers were shown, whereas other sideloaded formats just show a generic cover.

To be clear, they aren’t dropping support for MOBI format on Kindles. You’ll still be able to read MOBI files that you’ve added to your Kindle, but you just won’t be able to wirelessly send MOBI files to Kindles anymore using Amazon Kindle Personal Documents Service.

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2022/ ... ndle-apps/
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Kindle Create is the best way to create a Kindle ebook.

I use Calibre for almost everything else.

epub is the "similar" format you're probably looking for. Open source.

PM me if you want to discuss ebook creation.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The furries are back in town.

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “General Stuff”