Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Post by Volkonski »

:roll:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Asshat. So many of these.
4BBCD610-35EF-485F-B643-A52348AC874B.png
4BBCD610-35EF-485F-B643-A52348AC874B.png (447.01 KiB) Viewed 584 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

08B1F8F5-C219-4DDF-9D92-DA02F741D86F.jpeg
08B1F8F5-C219-4DDF-9D92-DA02F741D86F.jpeg (128.42 KiB) Viewed 562 times
A7E3A1A1-1080-425A-B113-36947ABCE6D2.jpeg
A7E3A1A1-1080-425A-B113-36947ABCE6D2.jpeg (118.28 KiB) Viewed 562 times
57B0F9B6-12FC-43AA-A833-C243DA8C4D3E.jpeg
57B0F9B6-12FC-43AA-A833-C243DA8C4D3E.jpeg (23.34 KiB) Viewed 562 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Abortion choice is ancient.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Question:

Is the Hyde Amendment in effect if Roe is overturned? IANAL
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:10 pm Question:

Is the Hyde Amendment in effect if Roe is overturned? IANAL
IANAL but I assume it is in effect still, I really popped in here to point out that Biden left it out of the upcoming budget. FWIW. Still could be added back in, of course.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Lani wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:38 am Such a painful day. And it's not over yet. I'm having flashbacks to when I was a young woman in the 70's.
You persisted. And we're all here for it. :bighug:
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

As another young woman living in the 70’s I carried a dead child in my womb for two months. No late term abortions were allowed. The child was to be carried full term, dead or alive. So sad.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Annrc wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:34 pm As another young woman living in the 70’s I carried a dead child in my womb for two months. No late term abortions were allowed. The child was to be carried full term, dead or alive. So sad.
A teacher at the parochial school my kids went to (one of the 1st grade teachers) carried a dead baby for several months. The difference being, she told the kids about it. Not in any graphic detail sort of way, but they all knew what was going on. Several parents complained (my kid was in the other class) and/or requested their child be moved out of her class. The school said nope and the church backed her up. When she finally delivered, the whole family took pictures holding the dead baby and she kept the photos on her desk in the classroom.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Lani

Post by Lani »

Annrc wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:34 pm As another young woman living in the 70’s I carried a dead child in my womb for two months. No late term abortions were allowed. The child was to be carried full term, dead or alive. So sad.
I want to give you a hug. :brokenheart:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-28/ ... /101188494

Louisiana and Utah judges have blocked statewide bans on abortion in their respective states, after the US Supreme Court overturned the constitutional right to the procedure nationwide.

Key points:
Louisiana Judge Robin Giarrusso issued a temporary restraining order blocking the state enforcing its ban
A Utah judge temporarily blocked that state's near-total abortion ban after a challenge
Clinics in Kentucky and Idaho also asked courts in their states to block the trigger laws
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

LAPD needs to be disbanded or turned into an Army unit.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:01 am LAPD needs to be disbanded or turned into an Army unit.
There are a lot of seriously bad criminals in LA. When I lived in the dangerous part of the city, I used to think, "If only 10% of the noises I hear every night that sound like gunshots are really gunshots, I'm hearing dozens of real gunshots every night."

I could read the gang graffiti that delineated the various gang territories surrounding my neighborhood.

It's unfortunate, but an LAPD officer who doesn't act like a soldier in a war zone won't last very long on the streets.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I'm not cooling down. I seem to be getting angrier, day by day. :smokeears:

It's all going to come down to turnout this November.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:18 am
pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:01 am LAPD needs to be disbanded or turned into an Army unit.
There are a lot of seriously bad criminals in LA. When I lived in the dangerous part of the city, I used to think, "If only 10% of the noises I hear every night that sound like gunshots are really gunshots, I'm hearing dozens of real gunshots every night."

I could read the gang graffiti that delineated the various gang territories surrounding my neighborhood.

It's unfortunate, but an LAPD officer who doesn't act like a soldier in a war zone won't last very long on the streets.
They should be smart enough to know the difference between a gang and unarmed protestors. They aren’t.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Because they spend a lot more time with the gangs.

I was a dope-smoking hippy, and not a big fan of the cops, until I became an attorney and started having to understand them, whereupon I gained a huge amount of respect.

And we are lucky enough to have a really good (former) cop right here on Fogbow, who gives us a lot of context to understand the news stories.

I now believe, in general terms, that there's nobody better than a good cop and nobody worse than a bad one. But the bad ones - and they are a small percentage - make the headlines.

And in LA, they have 1) a huge force, with all the accompanying politics, and 2) a community - even the law obeying, wealthy people - who know they're a paramilitary force, and they have to be in order to survive, and so they are treated as completely alien to the community that they are risking their lives to protect.

I've been a protester, in our nation's capital and in The City, and I've been tear-gassed by the best (the Civil Defense Unit folks in DC). I still think the LAPD has a tough row to hoe.
Edit: Some of the LA gangs are now 70, 80 years old, begun before WWII. They tend to be a bit entrenched.
raison de arizona

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:23 am
Foggy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:18 am

They should be smart enough to know the difference between a gang and unarmed protestors. They aren’t.
Just in the last week I've seen far too many videos of the LAPD violently attacking unarmed protesters, often female, to cut them any slack. Also, too, is the huge problem of LASD gangs that no one seems to want to address.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I haven't seen the video, but I know LASD is a different problem. They have a history that attracts the wrong kind of cops.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My mom carried a dead baby to term for more than three months in the 50's. Also, she was Catholic and her doctor was male. It affected her deeply. She was still angry and felt victimized when she told my siblings and I about it in the 70's.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Current Politics”