Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

2022 Ohio Senate Race

pipistrelle

Re: Ohio Senate race

Post by pipistrelle »

SuzieC wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:34 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:23 pm
SuzieC wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:19 pm Oh yeah! I got this today too. And donated.
Me too. The Act Blue account makes it so easy.
Thanks so much for donating in our Ohio Senate race! I really do think we have a good pickup opportunity here. My husband, who is a Dem but not a passionate one like me, thinks Vance is a ridiculous phony. I hope his view resonates among Ohio voters.
He is a complete phony. His fiction sucks too.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I don’t know where he is going with this exactly, but I don’t like it.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:32 pm I don’t know where he is going with this exactly, but I don’t like it.
I know where he’s going with it, and it’s somewhere between Father Knows Best and Leave it to Beaver.

And he’s a PHONY.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Cuz stay-at-home moms don't work 90 hours a week?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
bob

Post by bob »

538 hasn't integrated that poll, but it predicts Vance will most likely win.
Image ImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bob wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:03 pm 538 hasn't integrated that poll, but it predicts Vance will most likely win.
I don't trust Nate Silver.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Hey Foggy and/or Mod type persons, can you go ahead and merge these two?

https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1233

ETA: I didn't see this earlier thread started by Suzie.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:28 pm
bob wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:03 pm 538 hasn't integrated that poll, but it predicts Vance will most likely win.
Pretty sure a poll in July is not predicting a win in November, is it? More of an "if the election were held today."
bob

Post by bob »

p0rtia wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:33 pmPretty sure a poll in July is not predicting a win in November, is it? More of an "if the election were held today."
538's model is more sophisticated; it does forecast, considering variables such as the time between the poll and the election. But as more data is known, it also updates the chance of winning.

So it can change, sometimes wildly. Especially if there is an October Surprise, like the FBI director deciding to call a candidate an unindicted criminal. :kickface:

So I wouldn't say "if the election were held today" exactly, but I also wouldn't not say "if the election were held today." :towel:

(This is among 538's tricks to be able to say they're very rarely technically wrong.)
Image ImageImage
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

p0rtia wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:33 pm
Pretty sure a poll in July is not predicting a win in November, is it? More of an "if the election were held today."
Silver said something on Twitter a while back that removed the trust I already didn't have in him.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:41 pm
p0rtia wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:33 pm
Silver said something on Twitter a while back that removed the trust I already didn't have in him.
OMG, he is a twelve year old on twitter: socially inept and fond of making grandiose pronouncements on social issues that are just dumb.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

jez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:35 pm Hey Foggy and/or Mod type persons, can you go ahead and merge these two?

Sure.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

2022 Ohio Senate Race

Post by jez »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:48 pm
jez wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:35 pm Hey Foggy and/or Mod type persons, can you go ahead and merge these two?

Sure.
Thank you so very much my! You da Rooster!
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: 2022 Ohio Senate Race

Post by Foggy »

I overcame my evil nature through great effort.

:whisper: See Jez's signature.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Your efforts will be taken into consideration when ringing at the pearly gates.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Innovation Ohio poll released on Friday had Tim Ryan up over JD Vance 46% to 41%.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Republicans are starting to think JD Vance is blowing it in Ohio
:thumbsup:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:43 am
This article made me glad that I am a TDB subscriber. It was my lunchtime reading at work today.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I suspect he doesn't want to mix with potential actual hillbillies.
raison de arizona

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:55 pm I suspect he doesn't want to mix with potential actual hillbillies.
What are you saying, that he wasn't rubbing elbows with them at *checks notes* Yale? Or working in corporate law? Shirly when he was a principal at Peter Thiel's venture capital firm, I would think?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:03 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:55 pm I suspect he doesn't want to mix with potential actual hillbillies.
What are you saying, that he wasn't rubbing elbows with them at *checks notes* Yale? Or working in corporate law? Shirly when he was a principal at Peter Thiel's venture capital firm, I would think?
Oh, when he was writing his book with "hillbilly" in the title with only vague references to hillbilly country or anything hillbilly. Yep, he dang sure missed Kentucky so dang much he mentions it in a passing way that I could have managed with five minutes online. And his poor impoverished hillbilly registered nurse mother. Oh.

My favorite moment from his book was when he was so tired from working he forgot to pick up his paycheck that he desperately needed.

Back in the day I was actually on the poor side, and all I would have been thinking of was getting off work so I could get that paycheck.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

He grew up 15 miles from me, it's a lot closer to the neighborhood from The Brady Bunch than actual DTA* Appalachia. Middletown is a suburb of Cincinnati and was defined as a town pretty much by a steel mill. There are a lot of people from Appalachia in Middletown, and in Cincinnati in general. A lot of us have pretty close ties to our ancestral roots a hundred miles or so away. But as much as I and JD both like to talk about our hillbilly past, it's not ours, it's our parents and more our grandparents.

JD is like me in a lot of ways. Our families are from Eastern Kentucky, and we both grew up in the suburbs and went to Ivy League schools. I suspect the big difference is I was in the Army for 9 years and I was in Argillite earlier this month.

*Down Town Argillite

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Gregg wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:55 pm He grew up 15 miles from me, it's a lot closer to the neighborhood from The Brady Bunch than actual DTA* Appalachia. Middletown is a suburb of Cincinnati and was defined as a town pretty much by a steel mill. There are a lot of people from Appalachia in Middletown, and in Cincinnati in general. A lot of us have pretty close ties to our ancestral roots a hundred miles or so away. But as much as I and JD both like to talk about our hillbilly past, it's not ours, it's our parents and more our grandparents.

JD is like me in a lot of ways. Our families are from Eastern Kentucky, and we both grew up in the suburbs and went to Ivy League schools. I suspect the big difference is I was in the Army for 9 years and I was in Argillite earlier this month.

*Down Town Argillite

He didn't describe Kentucky. He doesn't even talk about his supposed hillbilly past. His complaints, and they are mostly complaints, are about his supposedly crazy family except for his wonderful gun-toting grandma. Little of what he talks about is related to his surroundings. It didn't sound especially like a steel town. It could have been anywhere. It was a bizarre.

At one point early he mentions the Scots-Irish tradition of Appalachia and I think, great, he's going to expand on that, maybe go into the musical influences, etc. But yeah, again it was something he probably saw online.

I think an actual hillbilly would make him afraid of cooties.

Return to “U.S. Senate”