Rest in Peace

PaulG

Re: Rest in Peace

Post by PaulG »

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:49 am
It's all over now...

Marie Fredriksson is dead - turned 61
“It is with great sadness that we have to announce that one of our biggest and most beloved artists is gone. Marie Fredriksson died on the evening of December 9 in the suites of her former illness, ”writes Marie Dimberg, press contact and manager for Roxette and Gyllene times in a press release.

:snippity:

Is that a typo, a mistranslated word, or a really evocative Swedish idiom? I love it.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

PaulG wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:20 pm
DejaMoo wrote:
It's all over now...

“It is with great sadness that we have to announce that one of our biggest and most beloved artists is gone. Marie Fredriksson died on the evening of December 9 in the suites of her former illness, ”writes Marie Dimberg, press contact and manager for Roxette and Gyllene times in a press release.

Is that a typo, a mistranslated word, or a really evocative Swedish idiom? I love it.
I'm guessing a sentence that is missing between the words former and illness, maybe. This sentence is part of an article that quotes from some other source, so I think it's likely a sentence got dropped. Or, the translation to English could be somewhat garbled.

I loved her singing voice and her stage presence. :cry:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo »

PaulG wrote:
DejaMoo wrote:
It's all over now...

The article is in Swedish; I ran it through Google Translate, sorry.
I've heard this bull before.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image Image

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:52 pm
PaulG wrote:
DejaMoo wrote:
It's all over now...

The article is in Swedish; I ran it through Google Translate, sorry.
svit means "consequence", tidligare (tid = "time", -lig = "-ly", -are = "-er", the comparative, so literally "timelier") means both "former" and "earlier". It says she "died from the consequences of her earlier illness". The suite bit is rubbish translation.

So nothing idiomatic or interesting. Sorry.

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

Anna Karina at 79. French new wave actress

For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

MRich

Post by MRich »

TCM has posted their "Those we lost in 2019" tribute video. They have been updating it, but hopefully it's done for now:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Twice this week the local paper has printed obituaries for guys who grew up in our subdivision who our older daughter went to school with. :shock:

Mrs. V. sent our daughter copies of the obituaries.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

CBS News
@CBSNews
·
42m
'Mame,' 'Hello, Dolly!' composer Jerry Herman has died at 88 https://cbsn.ws/2Q3nmGh
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

:( Jerry was one of my heroes, knew him since my teenage years. What an incredible guy. He was 88 and lived with HIV for decades, it was incredible. Truly one of the musical theatre's giants. Lit a candle like Barbra and so many others are. Thank you Jerry!

Then, in 1983, he wrote the gay-themed hit La Cage Aux Folles, which won him a second Tony Award. Shortly after the show opened, Herman's companion, Marty Finkelstein, died of complications from AIDS. And Herman was diagnosed as HIV-positive at a time when that seemed like a death sentence. Herman was one of the first people to receive the complex cocktail of drugs that has kept so many HIV patients alive, and he helped raise millions of dollars for AIDS research. Co-author Marilyn Stasio says Herman's HIV status spurred him to write his memoirs — and to also set some things straight.

Jerry Herman.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
What you've heard about Mighty Spork is true. Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Good riddance to Imus. He was a racist asshole.

One of my former law partners had a massive heart attack on Christmas Eve and died.

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist »

Sue Lyon, who played the title role in Stanley Kubrick's 1962 "Lolita" dies at 73.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/27/movi ... -dead.html

chancery

Post by chancery »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:29 pm

One of my former law partners had a massive heart attack on Christmas Eve and died.
Sorry about your partner, Stern.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Good riddance to Imus. He was a racist asshole.

One less Trump voter.
I saw a video of that Mike Murphey guy, a GOP campaign guy for years. He was saying that the Trump demographic was literally dying off. I'd like to see some actual stats on this, although he made it seem like he'd seen some type of analysis.
Condolences on your former partner Stern.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Take a good look at the folks standing behind Trump at one of his klan rallies. It is disturbing how young some of them are. Yes, some are old and dying off, but there are plenty of 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 somethings. A frightening number of 20 and 30 somethings. They will be around for a long, long time.

And, while the statistic regarding military support was somewhat comforting, the percentage of military that support him is larger than the percentage of civilian that support him. So, it's not all good news there either, just somewhat better than it could be.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Good riddance to Imus. He was a racist, anti-Semitic asshole.
:yeah: FIFY
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

RVInit wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:09 pm
Take a good look at the folks standing behind Trump at one of his klan rallies. It is disturbing how young some of them are. Yes, some are old and dying off, but there are plenty of 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 somethings. A frightening number of 20 and 30 somethings. They will be around for a long, long time.

And, while the statistic regarding military support was somewhat comforting, the percentage of military that support him is larger than the percentage of civilian that support him. So, it's not all good news there either, just somewhat better than it could be.
how many just answered a casting call to make a few without having to donate plasma for their ramen diet in college ?

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

sad-cafe wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:57 am

how many just answered a casting call to make a few without having to donate plasma for their ramen diet in college ?
I'm wondering the same thing.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

Or bet someone they could get on tv behind The Chosen One?
ImageImageImage x4

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Or just adopting a conservative position to be contrary.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Year end lists of notable people who have passed away in 2019 -

Chicago Sun Times - Final goodbye: Recalling influential people who died in 2019 - Scroll down and you'll see a lot of notable people listed by month.

UPI - Notable deaths of 2019 - A slide show of 70 notable people. It's nice to see photos of the people who have passed.

I always find it interesting to look back because you get that "Oh yeah... they passed away this year, didn't they?" feeling for some of the people listed.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

ImageGrumpy Cat sits on a pillow at a special appearance at Bleecker Street Records in New York City on July 16, 2014. The Internet-famous feline, real name Tardar Sauce, died of complications from a recent urinary tract infection at the age of 7 on May 14.

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Neil Innes, 'Monty Python' collaborator, dead at 75

Rutles, Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, and of course, Monty Python.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Nick Gordon doesn't deserve rest. I literally grew up with Whitney; her Mom Cissy and one of my earliest clients did a show together and we ate chinese food (or 2nd Ave Deli) together every night waiting for the show to finish. She had the demo tape of Saving All My Love For You, I have a copy in storage, just Whitney and a synth piano. She got her Aunt Dionne (Warwick) to give it to Clive Davis and the rest was history. Many of the family think Nick killed Whitney. And when Bobbi Kristina died the same way, our hearts were broken. If there's evil, Nick Gordon was it. Hope he burns in hell. /rant

Bobbi Kristina Brown's ex-boyfriend Nick Gordon dies at 30 from drug overdose
https://ew.com/celebrity/2020/01/01/nic ... -overdose/
What you've heard about Mighty Spork is true. Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Return to “Current Events”