It sucks growing old

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: It sucks growing old

Post by Foggy »

I'm not sure whether I got the new, second vaccine for shingles or not. Is it dangerous to have a second dose if I did get it already?

Asking as a genetically altered carbon-based cyborg lifeform and quantum bioweapon, of course. :batting:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

No Costco near you, maybenaut?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:42 pm No Costco near you, maybenaut?
There are two pharmacies in my town: Walmart and CVS. The only pharmacy that has a contract with my insurance is CVS. I’m not sure about pharmacies in other towns.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:37 pm I'm not sure whether I got the new, second vaccine for shingles or not. Is it dangerous to have a second dose if I did get it already?

Asking as a genetically altered carbon-based cyborg lifeform and quantum bioweapon, of course. :batting:
The way that it was 'splained to me was....

The original shingles vaccine was Zostavax or sumpin' like that. It was supposedly a two-year vaccine, so you needed to re-up every 24 months.

Then along comes the upstart Shingrix which is supposed to offer lifetime protection unless you live into your second century. The Shingrix is given in two installments at least 60 days apart.

So, Fogster, youse need to know whether you got Zostavax or Shingrix. If'n you got the former, you need a full compliment of Shingrix. If'n you got the latter, you might have to start all over if your first shot was too long ago.

I think that Shingrix burst onto the scene about four years ago, pre-COVID. But I am sure a search of the interwebs will provide more detail, and perhaps you can back into the date of your shot to see which flavor you received.

Answered as a dull, rules-following accountant with no particular mutations or bioweapons, save when beans were on the menu. :bag:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

OK, thanks humblescribe, now that you describe the Shingrix I know I didn't get it, because I surely would have remembered having to come back for a second dose after 60 days. I shall schedule the Shingrix at my earliest convenience.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

And as far as my torn biceps, in 9 days I get to swim in the Atlantic Ocean, so it better be healed up by then! :boxing:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
persephone

Post by persephone »

! Message from: Phoenix520
Are you playing a game with us Persephone? Where’s your post?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:31 pm And as far as my torn biceps, in 9 days I get to swim in the Atlantic Ocean, so it better be healed up by then! :boxing:
Remember the chicken carcass human body floats in salty water, ought to take the stress of the wing arm...
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:36 pm
Foggy wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:44 pm

Obviously, I need to stop taking off my socks. :idea:

Well, that's how I hurt it the second time! :oldman:
Fresh in my mind as hubby came home from rehab today.

Been using one of those to put on my socks for years now.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Don’t know if true for y’all but the two Shingrix vaccines I got are the only ones I had that hurt initially and for a couple days. Flu, pneumonia, tetanus-none of them hurt. Shingrix did. Don’t know if it’s the vaccine or if it was because it was administered by a pharmacist vs. a more experienced nurse.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:49 am Don’t know if true for y’all but the two Shingrix vaccines I got are the only ones I had that hurt initially and for a couple days. Flu, pneumonia, tetanus-none of them hurt. Shingrix did. Don’t know if it’s the vaccine or if it was because it was administered by a pharmacist vs. a more experienced nurse.
My Shingrix vaccine hurt a lot too. I usually have a sore arm after a shot, but I could barely move my arm for days after the Shingrix shot.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:28 pm OK, thanks humblescribe, now that you describe the Shingrix I know I didn't get it, because I surely would have remembered having to come back for a second dose after 60 days. I shall schedule the Shingrix at my earliest convenience.
I'm in your boat, Foggy (same age!). I'm doing my June doctor gauntlet, and brought this up with my PCP. We established that I'd had the single dose shingles vax in 2012, and he recommended getting ShingRix. In fact, I get my first shot Tuesday.

:bighug:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

The Valtrex is working. The shingles rash is pretty much gone. But I’m going to complete the course of medication, then get the vax next week.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:36 am The Valtrex is working. The shingles rash is pretty much gone. But I’m going to complete the course of medication, then get the vax next week.
Iirc this is a medication like antibiotics that needs to be taken the full program even when symptoms go away early.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

T'rific, Maybenaut.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Shingrix at my Costco is about $165. Curious as to how it compares with what one pays with insurance.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Don't put off the shingles shots. My brother had a bad case of it several years ago and still has occasional flare ups. It's apparently incredibly unpleasant. I got my shots a couple of years ago when I was in the doctor's office every few month for my diabetes. My wife got her second shot a few weeks ago when we both went in for our 2nd Covid booster.

I'm currently on a mountain of muscle relaxers and pain killers trying to recover from a 2 day trip to Dayton and back. We took a few of the grandkids over to Dayton to visit the National Air Force museum at Wright-Patterson and then spent a day at an indoor amusement park they have there. It was a good trip but walking around on concrete for 2 days really messed up my back. The only thing worse than walking around on concrete is just standing on concrete but I'll never understand what it is about being on a concrete floor for an extended period of time that causes me so much trouble. My wife always gets after me for moving heavy objects or rearranging furniture by myself but that kind of thing is only very rarely an issue. I've had minor back problems since I was in my 20s and chronic issues for the last 10 years. Prescription anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxers along with stretches and exercises generally keep it fairly well in check but it's easier to injure and much, much slower to heal than it used to be.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Concrete is well known for being hard on people's backs and feet (which, of course, then affects the back). When I'm on concrete for any period of time, I'm very careful about wearing really good supportive shoes; otherwise, I'm in deep trouble. I have a high arch, so my shoes are mostly that type. I don't wear orthodontic shoes, but I only buy brands that I know give me very good support.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:53 pm Shingrix at my Costco is about $165. Curious as to how it compares with what one pays with insurance.
Under Marketplace and most group insurance, under ACA should be no out of pocket in network. Walgreens has me on file and just jabbed me twice.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:53 pm Shingrix at my Costco is about $165. Curious as to how it compares with what one pays with insurance.
Medicare Advantage: $0.00
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Month or so ago SWMBO and I both went to our doc for annual blood test paperwork, flu shots, and shingle shots.

Everything was fine until the doc said they don't recommend Zostervax, which is free, anymore, but the new Shingrix costs 200 and you need 2 of them. Old one has more side effects and doesnt last as long.

So we say we'll study it and get back to you. A week later we have decided to go with the old free one. Family and friends have used old one with no issues.

Before we can get back to the doc, SWMBO comes down with shingles.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

The pharmacist said I could come in any Monday or Wednesday to get my first Shingrix.

Ol' Wifehorn: Everyone I know who got it became sick for days. In other words: Not the week before our 9-day combination vacation/funeral adventure that starts on Saturday morning.

When we return in mid-July, however ...
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

keith wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:08 pm Before we can get back to the doc, SWMBO comes down with shingles.
Oh no, I almost missed that. Sorry to hear about it, yikes. :eek:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

On the bright side, my new t-shirt is here - "Geezerhood Is Powerful".

Old doesn't necessarily mean uncool. 8-)
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”