Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Cyborgs

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Cyborgs

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... ar-AAYwfu6
The Tragic Death Of The English Scientist Known As The World's First Human Cyborg

Morgan was an American-British scientist known as the world's first full cyborg. In 2017, Scott-Morgan was diagnosed with motor neuron disease (MND), also called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). MND is a rare condition that affects the nerves and brain. Some of its symptoms include weak legs, slurred speech, muscle cramps, and a weak grip (via National Health Service UK). Currently, there is no known cure for the disease, but patients with MND can undergo treatments to alleviate its symptoms.

Dr. Scott-Morgan was given two years to live when he was diagnosed in 2017. Despite his progressing illness, he remained optimistic about life and found ways to cope with his condition. He always believed that technology will be able to save him. "All my early science education came from 'Dr. Who' and 'Star Trek.' They taught me that if you're smart enough, brave enough, and have access to technology, anything's possible," he stated, according to Input Magazine. Scott-Morgan decided that he was going to do whatever he can to live longer, and he did that by undergoing a series of surgeries to transform himself into a cybernetic organism, part human and part machine. "I am a prime candidate for the fast track to death, but I will pass on the offer. I am frankly far too busy having fun," he said.

Dr. Peter Scott-Morgan had the idea to remove the functions of his organs before they started failing due to MND. As reported by the National Health Service UK, an MND patient's symptoms increasingly worsen over time. Moving, swallowing, and even breathing eventually get harder as time passes. Patients undergo a combination of treatments including physiotherapy and occupational and speech therapy, as well as a well-balanced diet.

Scott-Morgan developed an avatar of his face before his muscles failed to function. The idea was for the robotic face to correspond with the movements of the body with the use of artificial intelligence. He then went under the knife for a triple-ostomy in 2018, per Input Magazine. He worked with physicians, designers, and technology experts to be able to function. His goal is to rely on artificial intelligence to give solutions to people who have to live with extreme forms of disabilities. Initially, doctors were hesitant to work with Scott-Morgan about his plans, as there were risks involved that could progress the disease or even leave him dead. However, the optimistic scientist was adamant, and he eventually found people to support him.

Next, he had his voice box removed to prevent him from aspirating on his own saliva. He developed a way to communicate using a voice synthesizer, and it turned out sounding almost like his real voice and not too robotic (via Times Now News). In 2019, Scott-Morgan bid farewell to his former self and completed his transformation into a full cyborg that he called Peter 2.0.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Cyborgs

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/0 ... ut-cancer/
Scientists hacked a locust’s brain to sniff out human cancer
The cyborg insects could one day be used in a breath test to screen for disease—or inspire a new type of device.

“These changes are almost in parts per trillion,” says Saha, a neural engineer at Michigan State University. This makes them hard to pick up even with state-of-the-art technologies, he adds. But animals have evolved to interpret such subtle changes in scents. So he and his colleagues decided to “hijack” an animal brain instead.

The researchers chose to work with locusts because these insects have been well studied in recent years. In a preliminary setup, they surgically exposed the brain of a living locust. Saha and his colleagues then inserted electrodes into lobes of the brain that receive signals from the insects’ antennae, which they use to sense odors.

The team also grew three different types of human oral cancer cells, as well as human mouth cells that were cancer-free. They used a device to capture gas emitted by each of the cell types, and delivered each of these to the locusts’ antennae.

The locusts’ brains responded to each of the cell types differently. The patterns of electrical activity recorded were so distinct that when the team puffed the gas from one cell type onto the antennae, they could correctly identify whether the cells were cancerous from the recording alone.
All I could think of is explaining your job on a first date.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Science”