Freshwater Giants

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Freshwater Giants

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/06/20 ... 655751525/
661-pound stingray caught in Cambodia dubbed world's largest freshwater fish

Scientists with the Wonders of Mekong research project said they were installing underwater receivers to track migratory fish in the Mekong River in northern Cambodia and had asked local fishermen to get into contact if they made any significant catches.

The group was contacted by a 42-year-old fisherman who landed a 661-pound giant stingray in the Stung Treng area.

The scientists paid the fisherman for his catch and released the stingray after they weighed, measured and tagged the fish.

Wonders of Mekong researcher Zeb Hogan, a fish biologist at the University of Nevada and host of National Geographic's Monster Fish TV series, said the massive fish could help researchers learn more about giant stingrays.

"You have a fish that's now the record holder for the world's largest freshwater fish, and we know little about it," Hogan told NBC News.

The stingray took the record for largest freshwater fish from a 646-pound Mekong giant catfish caught in Thailand in 2005.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Freshwater Giants

Post by Foggy »

:o
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Freshwater Giants

Post by bill_g »

Off Topic

Ever since seeing this video, when I hear Mekong, I think of the River God. Totally not for everyone to watch.

Return to “Science”