Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Art: I know it when I see it.

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Art: I know it when I see it.

Post by bill_g »

This one remonds me of Banksy.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

These are fun to show to kids! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Thank you, Matisse.
287972368_1803544123181901_6373627627442755758_n.jpg
287972368_1803544123181901_6373627627442755758_n.jpg (33.61 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

It always amazes me how simplicity can be so expressive.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Cats of Yore @CatsOfYore wrote: One of my favorite sub-genres of art is Cats Stealing Food in Still Life Paintings. It’s so wonderfully disrespectful. So here is a thread celebrating the need for snacks triumphing over art. First, Still Life with Cat. Alexandre-Francois Desportes, 1705. https://thegreatcat.org/the-cat-in-art- ... desportes/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer

Bravo! The replies add more ancient and current art. :biggrin:
Tiredretiredlawyer

This entire article is worth a read.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/so ... r-AA12IKLX
So Vermeer did not paint ‘Girl With a Flute.’ Why think less of it?
Philip Kennicott - Friday

The National Gallery of Art’s painting “Girl With a Flute” has been hovering on the edges of the authentic Vermeer canon for decades. Friday’s announcement that new research, including sophisticated imaging analysis, has definitively proved the work to be the product of someone likely close to Vermeer, but not the painter himself, may finally push the work out of contention for authenticity. Or maybe not. It has been in and out of the canon for so long it is unclear whether any research would ever convince all the skeptics.

Since the rediscovery of the 17th-century Dutch painter’s work in the 19th century, the authentic Vermeer catalogue has both shrunk and occasionally grown, though the larger trend has been to get smaller. In 1866, the painter’s great early champion, Théophile Thoré-Bürger, published a list of Vermeers that ascribed more than 70 painted works as possibly by the artist, though the author felt confident about only 49 of them. Today, that number is about 34 or 35. Just as the National Gallery’s “Girl With a Flute” has long been suspect, another painting, “Young Woman Seated at a Virginal*,” also has a long history of both doubt and support.

Authenticating paintings is increasingly a scientific process, with scholarly judgment making the final call. But for centuries, authenticity has also been a matter of desire and suspicion, avarice and fraud, and vast amounts of honest confusion and uncertainty. In the 20th century, the Dutch painter Han van Meegeren created forgeries that he passed off as the work of Pieter de Hooch, Gerard ter Borch and Vermeer. He managed to convince even top Vermeer experts that a 1937 painting called “The Supper at Emmaus” wasn’t just by Vermeer, but was also one of the greatest works the artist ever produced. Thus, the Vermeer canon grew, for a while, before the fraud was detected and definitively debunked.

Passing off a forgery as authentic can bring enormous financial rewards to the con artist. But there are other motivations, too. Artists learn by copying, and copying is a form of deep looking. Faking an artist’s work is a way of understanding it, even loving it, paying it homage through the flattery of imitation. It may also be a form of aggression, as the deceiving artist proves himself equal to the master, or even superior (at least in his eyes). The sale of the work, or its accession into a respected public or private collection, only affirms the triumph of overcoming another artist’s genius.
AA12IScd.jpeg
AA12IScd.jpeg (45.65 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
*A musical instrument similar to a piano.
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Steve Miller is on the 79 watch as of this year.
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... s-nigeria/
Several Benin bronzes that have been in Washington museums for decades are finally headed home to Nigeria — 125 years after British troops plundered them from present-day Nigeria, 62 years after Nigerian independence brought calls for their return, and two years after a nationwide reckoning with institutional racism gave renewed attention to those calls.

At a ceremony Tuesday at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African Art, officials of the museum transferred ownership of 29 bronzes and the National Gallery of Art handed over one to representatives of Nigeria’s National Commission for Museums and Monuments. Nine will remain in Washington on long-term loan.

“The Smithsonian is humbled and quite honored to play a small part by transferring ownership to helping to bring long-delayed justice, long-delayed visibility, long-delayed objects brought back to Nigeria,” Smithsonian Secretary Lonnie G. Bunch III said at the ceremony. “We realize as an institution that we are shared stewards of these collections. We are not owners.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

:clap:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Off Topic
I am daily proud of the Biden administration.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://mymodernmet.com/milena-braid-hairstyles/
German Teenager Creates Amazing Hairstyles That Look Like Intricate Crochet Patterns

You don't always need expensive supplies to make incredible art. Germany-based 17-year-old Milena has become Instagram-famous for her incredible braids. Using a mannequin head, she transforms the model's hair into a variety of mesmerizing designs, like flowers, hearts, and even crochet-like patterns.

Milena describes herself as a self-taught hairstylist who uses her hair as a way to express herself. Among the artist's most popular creations are her rose-style buns, where the hair is gathered in numerous layers that resemble flower petals. Milena also braids long hair into intricate arrangements that look like woven textiles. While many of her fascinating hairstyles seem impossible to create, the young artist also makes video tutorials on how to make her iconic 3D braid as well as how to make seven types of easy buns.

Scroll down to see more fabulous hairstyles by Milena and follow her on Instagram to keep up to date with her latest braided creations.
milena-hairstyles-3.jpg
milena-hairstyles-3.jpg (74.7 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Very cool stuff! I've always wanted hair long enough to do fancy braiding with - especially like the stuff you might see on "Vikings", of course :mrgreen: :thor:

Unfortunately, my hair is thin, brittle and grows VERY slowly. Plus, because of the way my shoulders are screwed up, I can't really brush the left side of my head, so I tend to keep it very short. So, while my husband has a lovely waist-length mane, I've not had mine cut on the right side in probably 4 or 5 years and it's only to my shoulder. :pout:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Gorgeous!
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://mymodernmet.com/pastry-art-mini ... o-stucchi/
Brilliant Food Artist Turns Boring Cakes into Imaginative Miniature Scenes of Life

Italian pastry chef Matteo Stucchi creates desserts that not only look delicious, but they also double as fantastical miniature worlds. The 26-year-old’s playful culinary creations feature tiny figurines that are cleverly placed among his cakes to appear as though they’re farming candied land and exploring sugary terrains.

Stucchi has a dedicated Instagram fan base of over 200,000 followers, and it’s clear to see why. Each week, he posts a new creation, showcasing his endless imagination and impressive pastry skills. His portfolio of pastry art includes a cheesecake topped with tiny bricklayers who appear to be smoothing out the chocolate “cement.” In another creation, tiny climbers attempt to ascend a sugar-dusted “Mount Pavlova,” and Stucchi has even created an ocean scene atop of a blue mirror-glazed cake, complete with a tiny sailboat.

Scroll down to see some of Stucchi’s whimsical desserts and check out more from his portfolio on Instagram.
Tiredretiredlawyer

From above article.
food-art-mini-worlds-matteo-stucchi-7.jpg
food-art-mini-worlds-matteo-stucchi-7.jpg (60.45 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

VERY cool!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

"Art: I know it when I see it." - You could be wrong ;)
Mondrian painting has been hanging upside down for 75 years
Despite the discovery, the work, titled New York City I, will continue to be displayed the wrong way up to avoid damaging it

Philip Oltermann in Hamburg
Fri 28 Oct 2022 12.23 BST
  • Image in article:
    On the left: Mondrian painting as it was hung incorrectly; right: how it should look.
A painting by abstract Dutch artist Piet Mondrian has been hanging upside down in various museums since it was first put on display 75 years ago, an art historian has found, but warned it could disintegrate if it was hung the right side up now.

The 1941 picture, a complex interlacing lattice of red, yellow, black and blue adhesive tapes titled New York City I, was first put on display at New York’s MoMA in 1945 but has hung at the art collection of the German federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia in Düsseldorf since 1980.

The way the picture is currently hung shows the multicoloured lines thickening at the bottom, suggesting an extremely simplified version of a skyline. However, when curator Susanne Meyer-Büser started researching the museum’s new show on the Dutch avant garde artist earlier this year, she realised the picture should be the other way around.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... r-75-years
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Microsoft co-founder’s collection poised to raise $1bn in ‘largest art auction in history’
Proceeds from sale of 150 works owned by the late billionaire Paul Allen will go to charity

Rupert Neate Wealth correspondent
Sat 5 Nov 2022 07.00 GMT

The vast private art collection of the late Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen is expected to fetch a record-breaking $1bn (£890m) when it is auctioned next week.

The collection of more than 150 masterpieces includes Georges Seurat’s Les Poseuses, Ensemble (petite version) and Paul Cézanne’s landscape La Montagne Sainte-Victoire, which are both expected to sell for more than $100m, and Gustav Klimt’s 1903 work Birch Forest, which has an auctioneer’s estimate of $90m.

The collection, which is being sold by Christie’s over two nights next week, also includes works by Botticelli, Renoir, David Hockney, Roy Lichtenstein, Francis Bacon, Lucian Freud, and JMW Turner. Allen personally selected all the works, which span more than 500 years, rather than relying on an art buyer to pick them out as some billionaires do.

“When you look at a painting you’re looking into a different country, into someone else’s imagination, how they saw it,” Allen said of his collection when some of his works went on show in 2016.

Christie’s said the sale was “poised to be the largest and most exceptional art auction in history”, eclipsing the $922m achieved by the sale of the Macklowe collection in May, after the divorce of the property tycoon Harry Macklowe from his wife, Linda.

All the proceeds will be donated to charity, as was stipulated by Allen, who died in 2018 aged 65 from complications of non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

Marc Porter, the chair of Christie’s Americas, said Allen’s collection “brings together masterpieces in support of philanthropy on an epic scale”.

“It’s hard to imagine that this is the result of one man’s passionate pursuit of excellence, but Paul G Allen was indeed a visionary, and he was drawn to artists who shared his genius for seeing our world in new ways and explaining it to us by new means.”

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... ty-auction
Tiredretiredlawyer

Here is a video of the collection. It's well done.

https://www.christies.com/en/events/vis ... n/overview
Tiredretiredlawyer

Dawe06-2_kindlephoto-50921222.jpg
Dawe06-2_kindlephoto-50921222.jpg (173.72 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
https://mymodernmet.com/gabriel-dawe-thread-art/
Interview: Artist Stretches Delicate Strands of Thread to Produce Awe-Inspiring Rainbows Indoors

Artist Gabriel Dawe creates awe-inspiring thread art that is seemingly magic. Simply put: he makes rainbows indoors. Known for delicate site-specific installations, the massive pieces span sections of art galleries—but that’s not all! His work also appears in places where anyone can see it, including airports and office buildings. No matter its locale, the stretched thread pieces conjure the same effects: they dazzle with reflected light and send even the most casual passerby into a momentary state of wonder.

Dawe’s textile art is the product of following a creative intuition that began as a way to challenge the constraints of masculinity and the patriarchy. As a child, he remembers his grandmother teaching his sister to embroider, but not him because he was a boy. In his adult years, he realized that, if he wanted, he too could acquire this skill. Learning embroidery and attending graduate school ultimately lead him to the installations that have earned him worldwide acclaim.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Oh, wow! I will have to find out where I can see one of these. Totally different medium, but Chihuly came to mind.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Yes.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://digitalsynopsis.com/design/13-a ... pankowska/

I can't copy and paste.

Title is "13 Colorful Animal Logos Made From 13 Perfect Circles".

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”