Hijack this thread

tek

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by tek » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:02 pm

The wheels have been set in motion, the house in the Happy Valley is on the market (well, on MLS as a preview, and under contract with a realtor).

BIttersweet.. been here 26 years, this is where daughter.tek grew up..

And I have two weeks to clean out all the accumulated stuff before it is officially open for showings..

Hey, I'd buy it!
Why should this house be your next home? Because it has everything you're looking for: a great location on a cul-de-sac in a highly desirable neighborhood surrounded by friendly and engaging neighbors, Town water and sewer, efficient propane gas utilities with an owned underground tank, an open floor plan that lends to easy entertaining, and an Executive Chef's Kitchen with all the expected high end accessories. Add that the house is in exceptional condition with a new roof, new deck, new patio, new asphalt driveway, and exterior paint all done since 2017. This spacious home has room for everyone with the master suite plus 3 additional bedrooms and second full bath upstairs while the finished basement hosts an in-law apartment or 5th bedroom and family room complete with another full bath and a kitchenette.
There's no way back
from there to here

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:11 pm

Larry King and Seventh Wife Shawn Divorcing After Nearly 22 Years of Marriage
The CNN host had previously been married seven times (to six other women), while Shawn was married three times before.
https://people.com/tv/larry-king-wife-shawn-divorce/

Man, if those 2 kids can’t make their love work, what hopes to the rest of us have? 8-)
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:00 pm

I've heard this bull before.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:47 pm

I'm pretty sure there's a very short list of things that should be glued to pregnant women. I honestly can't think of anything.
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:21 pm

High Cotton Inc. specializes in hilarious and occasionally sincere doormats and other products handy for expressing a funny, reflective, or occasionally off-color quip on the human condition. Perhaps that's a bit lofty - quip on things that happen or stuff people think, that's more like it. And all that while simultaneously offering a great product for necessary function. Their doormats are 100% olefin fiber with a vividly printed image and/or message that won't fade and can be easily cleaned.

P.K.
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.

Post by P.K. » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:30 pm

Yesterday I took Mr K for his neurosurgery followup from his head-bonking incident in late June. The good news: the subdural hematoma is gone, and his brain looks fine. Well, as fine as his brain gets.

The bad news - my anxiety is still through the roof. I had to take an Ativan while waiting for his CT scan. I have some cancer survivor friends who refer to "scanxiety" and it's the perfect term for how I feel when he's getting an MRI or CT scan.

I had to go to urgent care for another issue right after his appointment was done, and guess what, my blood pressure was high. So now I get to make an appointment with the blood pressure clinic. And my BP will be high because....wait for it...the BP clinic is in the hospital, which gives me anxiety because I spend so much time taking Mr. K to the hospital. Fun times.
IANALBIPOOTV - I am not a lawyer, but I've played one on TV. In fact, IANA (fill in the blank) but chances are I've played one on TV.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:14 pm

P.K. wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:30 pm
Yesterday I took Mr K for his neurosurgery followup from his head-bonking incident in late June. The good news: the subdural hematoma is gone, and his brain looks fine. Well, as fine as his brain gets.

The bad news - my anxiety is still through the roof. I had to take an Ativan while waiting for his CT scan. I have some cancer survivor friends who refer to "scanxiety" and it's the perfect term for how I feel when he's getting an MRI or CT scan.

I had to go to urgent care for another issue right after his appointment was done, and guess what, my blood pressure was high. So now I get to make an appointment with the blood pressure clinic. And my BP will be high because....wait for it...the BP clinic is in the hospital, which gives me anxiety because I spend so much time taking Mr. K to the hospital. Fun times.
My son has the same issue and after he explained it to them, they got a baseline for him that is higher than his normal BP. Explain to the doc and anybody else who will listen that you experience this.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:57 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:14 pm
My son has the same issue and after he explained it to them, they got a baseline for him that is higher than his normal BP. Explain to the doc and anybody else who will listen that you experience this.
My husband had the same issue. His physician referred to it as White Coat Syndrome. His doctor would spend several minutes just chatting with him and that helped bring his blood pressure down.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:43 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:57 pm
My husband had the same issue. His physician referred to it as White Coat Syndrome. His doctor would spend several minutes just chatting with him and that helped bring his blood pressure down.
I have that. Very grumpy nurses make my BP go up. Very pleasant nurses make my BP go up.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:25 am

Need some ideas for gifts ? Have a crawler in your fambly? Get the Baby Mop!

27 crazy inventions, you won't believe what you're about to see

https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/new ... out-to-see
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:20 pm

I've found my post-retirement life plan!

I've heard this bull before.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:14 pm

The approach of the thunderstorm that just rolled through.
Hudson River looking towards Weehawken, NJ

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:56 am

tek

Post by tek » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:49 pm

Today's excellent adventure was a private tour of the American Museum of Natural History in NYC.. One of our neighbors is a docent/guide there, and she took us around..

This was a great time all around.. our neighbor is a retired MD, and after her training and further reading she just knows everything.. including the several competing backstories on each exhibit..

One of the interesting things is that the AMNH is starting to look at some exhibits they have that are not purely "natural history" with an eye to stereotypical presentations.. the marquee project is https://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/addres ... elt-statue ... but to show a more concrete picture of how presentations of history can have a severe bias, there is this diorama re-interpretation: https://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/perman ... rk-diorama
This 1939 diorama depicts Dutch leader Peter Stuyvesant receiving a delegation of Lenape, including Oratamin, a sachem (leader) of the Munsee branch. But the depiction of the Lenape reflects common clichés and a fictional view of the past that ignores how complex and violent colonization was for Native people.
There's no way back
from there to here

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:18 am

Barcelona police spare bathers' blushes with clothing 'robbery kits'

Initiative particularly welcome among those who have clothes stolen on city’s nudist beaches
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... bbery-kits
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:40 pm

A Former Trump Hotel Partner Is Charged With Felony Theft

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/26/us/t ... Position=1
A former business partner of President Trump’s company was arrested last week on felony charges of stealing two pieces of luggage from the Memphis airport.

Dinesh Chawla and his brother were partners with the Trump Organization on multiple hotel projects in the Mississippi Delta until earlier this year.

Last year, The New York Times profiled Mr. Chawla, whose father, V. K. Chawla grew up in a refugee camp in Punjab, India, and started the family’s hotel business about three decades ago after seeking the advice of Mr. Trump, then a New York real estate developer.

According to police records, airport security footage recorded Dinesh Chawla on Aug. 18 removing another passenger’s suitcase from a baggage claim carousel and putting it in his car before taking a flight.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:17 am

Incoming Harvard Freshman Deported After Visa Revoked

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2019 ... I0.twitter
Ajjawi wrote that he spent eight hours in Boston before he was required to leave. Upon arrival, Ajjawi faced questioning from immigration officials along with several other international students. While the other students were allowed to leave, Ajjawi alleges an immigration officer continued to question him about his religion and religious practices in Lebanon.

The same officer then asked him to unlock his phone and laptop, and left to search them for roughly five hours, Ajjawi alleges. After the search, the officer questioned him about his friends’ social media activity.

“When I asked every time to have my phone back so I could tell them about the situation, the officer refused and told me to sit back in [my] position and not move at all,” he wrote. “After the 5 hours ended, she called me into a room , and she started screaming at me. She said that she found people posting political points of view that oppose the US on my friends list.”

Ajjawi wrote that he told the officer he had not made any political posts and that he should not be held responsible for others’ posts.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Jez

Post by Jez » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:13 pm

Kinda just need to vent, but also quite curious if this is common.

Psycho roommate (probably read my rants about here last year) has been in trouble with the law. Just some traffic violations, such as OVI (Ohio's version of DUI), driving without a license, leaving the scene, etc. Pretty much all misdemeanors. I ran across these cases looking to see if she had been sued by any other disgruntled, unpaid roommates (morbid curiosity on my part). So, D and I kinda followed them. It was months and months of continuances. I counted six until last month on one of them.

Now, a little back story. Psycho has pancreatitis. Of that I have no doubt. Now, everything I've read about pancreatitis is that it can be controlled by careful diet. Not entirely, but you can function in normal society, hold a job, etc. She doesn't bother to try and control it. Whenever she had a court date she was "too sick" to attend. She would go into the hospital with her issues so she would have an excuse. Right before the case was "Closed" due to "unavailability of defendant" the following entry was made (8/22):
ATTY [redacted] APPEARED BEFORE [Judge] WITHOUT DEF. ATTY INDICATED THAT OUT OF THE LAST 30 DAYS, DEF HAS BEEN IN THE HOSPITAL FOR 28 DAYS. ATTY STATED SHE HAS REQUESTED DOCUMENTATION FROM DEF BUT DEF HAS BEEN UNABLE TO PROVIDE IT BECAUSE SHE HAS BEEN HOSPITALIZED. ATTY [redacted] APOLOGIZED AND STATED SHE IS UNSURE HOW TO PROCEED BECAUSE OF DEF'S MEDICAL PROBLEMS. STATE REQUESTED A WARRANT FOR DEF'S ARREST AND REALIZES THAT ATTY [redacted] HAS BEEN PROACTIVE BUT IT APPEARS THAT SOMETIMES DEF GOES TO THE HOSPITAL TO AVOID COURT. PER [Judge], A WARRANT WILL BE ISSUED.
Since the case is now closed, does that mean nothing happens? She is just free to go about her life now? She is free to continue to drive on a suspended license in an uninsured vehicle? Or if the Warrant is ever acted upon, will the case(s) be reopened? I'm genuinely curious how these things work.

As an aside: I'm 99% sure that the in hospital 28/30 day is bullshit.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Jez wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:13 pm
Kinda just need to vent, but also quite curious if this is common.

Psycho roommate (probably read my rants about here last year) has been in trouble with the law. Just some traffic violations, such as OVI (Ohio's version of DUI), driving without a license, leaving the scene, etc. Pretty much all misdemeanors. I ran across these cases looking to see if she had been sued by any other disgruntled, unpaid roommates (morbid curiosity on my part). So, D and I kinda followed them. It was months and months of continuances. I counted six until last month on one of them.

Now, a little back story. Psycho has pancreatitis. Of that I have no doubt. Now, everything I've read about pancreatitis is that it can be controlled by careful diet. Not entirely, but you can function in normal society, hold a job, etc. She doesn't bother to try and control it. Whenever she had a court date she was "too sick" to attend. She would go into the hospital with her issues so she would have an excuse. Right before the case was "Closed" due to "unavailability of defendant" the following entry was made (8/22):
ATTY [redacted] APPEARED BEFORE [Judge] WITHOUT DEF. ATTY INDICATED THAT OUT OF THE LAST 30 DAYS, DEF HAS BEEN IN THE HOSPITAL FOR 28 DAYS. ATTY STATED SHE HAS REQUESTED DOCUMENTATION FROM DEF BUT DEF HAS BEEN UNABLE TO PROVIDE IT BECAUSE SHE HAS BEEN HOSPITALIZED. ATTY [redacted] APOLOGIZED AND STATED SHE IS UNSURE HOW TO PROCEED BECAUSE OF DEF'S MEDICAL PROBLEMS. STATE REQUESTED A WARRANT FOR DEF'S ARREST AND REALIZES THAT ATTY [redacted] HAS BEEN PROACTIVE BUT IT APPEARS THAT SOMETIMES DEF GOES TO THE HOSPITAL TO AVOID COURT. PER [Judge], A WARRANT WILL BE ISSUED.
Since the case is now closed, does that mean nothing happens? She is just free to go about her life now? She is free to continue to drive on a suspended license in an uninsured vehicle? Or if the Warrant is ever acted upon, will the case(s) be reopened? I'm genuinely curious how these things work.

As an aside: I'm 99% sure that the in hospital 28/30 day is bullshit.
If the case is closed why issue a warrant? I don’t know from procedure in Ohio, but it’s gotta mean something.

But in any case, a person is *always* free to drive on a suspended license or without insurance. They can arrest her, fine her, lock her up, and she can still go out and do it again. Scofflaws gonna scoff.

This kind of shit is infuriating though. I know someone who filed bankruptcy in order to discharge a debt to a family member. And now, just a couple years later, she’s all over Twitter and Facebook talking about people welching on their financial obligations.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

tek

Post by tek » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:53 pm

We're in the middle of the great move south.

We probably shipped more than we should have, which among other things has left the bookshelf in the kitchen bare.

ms.tek decided that it looked too empty and needed some books.. normally it would be chock-full of cookbooks, but all of those are 1500 miles away..

So she went downstairs to my office/lab/workshop which has not been packed yet to forage for books.

And I guess it looks a little less empty:
books1.jpg
But on closer inspection..

books2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's no way back
from there to here

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:31 pm

tek wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:53 pm
We're in the middle of the great move south.

But on closer inspection..

“Hmm... I’m all out of amplitude modulation. I wonder if I can substitute continuous wave.”
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:04 pm

Vacuum Tubes. I took the Second Class Radiotelegraph exam about 12 years ago and they had a ton of Vacuum tube questions on it. I got them all correct. The answers came back to me from AF training of almost 40 years before that.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:16 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:04 pm
Vacuum Tubes. I took the Second Class Radiotelegraph exam about 12 years ago and they had a ton of Vacuum tube questions on it. I got them all correct. The answers came back to me from AF training of almost 40 years before that.
I was a Radioman in the Coast Guard back in the day. I doubt I could pass an exam, though. I was more like a 911 operator — I knew what to do when the SOS came in, but I didn’t know how the radio worked (I was supposed to know - got tested on it for advancement but never used the info on the job and purged it from my memory as soon as the test was done).

ETA: I could probably still copy Morse code at 20 words per minute though.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:56 am

Maybenaut wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:16 pm
ETA: I could probably still copy Morse code at 20 words per minute though.
.... --- .-- / .- .-. . / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .. - .... / ... . -- .- .--. .... --- .-. . ..--.. ?

tek

Post by tek » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:48 am

I got my Radiotelephone First (as well as my Amateur Advanced) back when I was in college.. somewhere around 1977.. compared to what I was studying for my degree, studying for those writtens was a piece of cake..

I was never all that good at morse, so never got a commercial radiotelegraph ticket.. though I did eventually manage to do 20WPM well enough to get my Amateur Extra..

Those FCC tests has a lot of tube stuff on them, but back in EE school we never even heard about tubes.
There's no way back
from there to here

Return to “The Lounge”