Re: DOJ Investigation: Re Jeffrey Epstein Plea Deal; 2008 SDFL; 2019 SDNY

Post by ZekeB » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:16 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:58 am
Kendra wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:47 am
Reran has not tweeted since the day before Epstein was found dead :smoking:
Who is Reran?
Has Reran ever been seen together with Epstein?
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:28 am

I thought it was a mangled Ronan (Farrow), who hasn't been heard from on twitter...but has a book coming out...
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:13 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:58 am
Kendra wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:47 am
Reran has not tweeted since the day before Epstein was found dead :smoking:
Who is Reran?
:bag: Damn autocorrect at 3AM before going back to sleep :bag:

Dersh for short which got me Reran.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:11 am

Daily Beast: The Man Who Could Inherit Jeffrey Epstein’s Millions

The unexplained wealth of artist-turned-real estate magnate Mark Epstein, the deceased sex offender’s younger brother, is likely to come under further scrutiny by the feds.
Adding:
Vanity Fair: “They’re Nothing, These Girls”: Unraveling the Mystery of Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein’s Enabler

She hired girls for him, shared his life with him, possibly hoped to marry him. And now she may be a target of a conspiracy charge.

neonzx

Post by neonzx » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Jeff Mason✔ @jeffmason1
.@realDonaldTrump says he wants to know if @BillClinton went to Jeffrey Epstein’s island, says that would say a lot. I asked him if he really thought the Clintons were involved in Epstein’s death. He said: I have no idea.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:11 am

The unexplained wealth of artist-turned-real estate magnate Mark Epstein, the deceased sex offender’s younger brother, is likely to come under further scrutiny by the feds.
Wow. Thanks for that.

jmj

Post by jmj » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:49 pm

neonzx wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Jeff Mason✔ @jeffmason1
.@realDonaldTrump says he wants to know if @BillClinton went to Jeffrey Epstein’s island, says that would say a lot. I asked him if he really thought the Clintons were involved in Epstein’s death. He said: I have no idea.
Judging by past tendencies, the fact that trump is accusing Clinton of visiting the island suggests strongly that Trump himself has visited the island. He always projects his own behavior onto others and accuses them of doing things that he himself has done.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:05 pm

jmj wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:49 pm

Judging by past tendencies, the fact that trump is accusing Clinton of visiting the island suggests strongly that Trump himself has visited the island. He always projects his own behavior onto others and accuses them of doing things that he himself has done.
:yeah: They did party together at Mar-a-Lago so there's fairly good chance he did, rich assholes so love to try and out do each other. And we know Trump has bragged about sexual assaulting and forcing himself on women, and I seriously doubt the bastard would have turned down anything that had been offered. God I hope there are photos somewhere :-
Birfers are toast

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:04 pm

Kendra wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:09 pm
And that, along with the termination (or reassignment) of a couple of guards will be the extent of it. But they'll claim that "heads rolled" anyway.

Jim

Post by Jim » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:08 pm

From Kendra's link

"As per @TheLastWord last night, funny that those who have been braying for years, for the Department Head (Secretary of State) to be held accountable for Benghazi (ie HRC), are now eerily quiet regarding accountability for the Head of the DOJ (ie Barr) in the death of Epstein."

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:11 am

Adding:
Vanity Fair: “They’re Nothing, These Girls”: Unraveling the Mystery of Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein’s Enabler

She hired girls for him, shared his life with him, possibly hoped to marry him. And now she may be a target of a conspiracy charge.
She also is the daughter of a man with supposed ties to Israeli intelligence.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:00 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rties.html

:crying: Not letting me copy/paste. More photos from the Naomi Campbell birthday party.

Also, new drone footage from Rusty Shackleford, this time some bits from yesterday's raid. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGF4cH ... e4OELMbDjg

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:31 pm

If true, HOLY SHIT! :eek2:

NBC News: 4chan user posted about Jeffrey Epstein's death before it was public
Less than an hour before the first news reports surfaced that Jeffrey Epstein had been found unresponsive in his jail cell, a post about his death mysteriously appeared on a far-right message board.

Authorities now want to know who was behind the post, which contained medically accurate details about the financier and accused sex trafficker.

The New York City Fire Department, for its part, has determined that the information in the post did not come from its records, a department spokesperson told NBC News. Fire officials reviewed the post on 4chan, a forum popular with internet trolls and people in the so-called alt-right movement.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/4c ... s-n1041931
Am I being detained?

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:39 pm

NotaPerson wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:31 pm
Not really. They could have gotten a text msg from a guard, or a staff member could have been on the phone with their spouse and told them. News like that would travel like wildfire with the people inside busting their asses to be the first one with the news. The last riot at our jail had inmates tweeting out info to the news people.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:24 pm

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:39 pm
NotaPerson wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:31 pm
Not really. They could have gotten a text msg from a guard, or a staff member could have been on the phone with their spouse and told them. News like that would travel like wildfire with the people inside busting their asses to be the first one with the news. The last riot at our jail had inmates tweeting out info to the news people.
Yes, a little while after I posted I realized I had overreacted. :oops: :bag:
Am I being detained?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:40 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/opin ... death.html
The death of the convicted pedophile and accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein does not end the criminal investigation of his associates or the civil cases against his estate. Indeed, in the days since his suicide, his victims, their lawyers and government officials have promised to push forward with the case.

But the cold truth is, the pursuit of justice in the Epstein case just got a lot harder. His suicide makes the path for his victims more difficult and the justice they could receive less complete.

Mr. Epstein’s criminal case will end soon. Prosecutors can’t pursue a criminal case against a dead person.

But Attorney General Bill Barr warned that “co-conspirators should not rest easy,” and on Monday, F.B.I. agents reportedly executed a search warrant on Mr. Epstein’s private island in the Caribbean.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 am

The New York Times
@nytimes
·
1h
Jeffrey Epstein's guards fell asleep and failed to check on him for about 3 hours, then falsified records to cover up their mistake
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/nyre ... tw-nytimes
The two staff members who were guarding the jail unit where Jeffrey Epstein apparently killed himself fell asleep and failed to check on him for about three hours, then falsified records to cover up their mistake, according to several law enforcement and prison officials with knowledge of the matter.

Those disclosures came on Tuesday as the two employees were placed on administrative leave and the warden of the jail, the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Manhattan, was temporarily reassigned, pending the outcome of the investigation into Mr. Epstein’s death, the Justice Department announced.

The two staff members in the special housing unit where Mr. Epstein was held — 9 South — falsely recorded in a log that they had checked on the financier, who was facing sex trafficking charges, every 30 minutes, as was required, two of the officials said. Such false entries in an official log could constitute a federal crime.

In fact, the two people guarding Mr. Epstein had been asleep for some or all of the three hours, three of the officials said.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:23 am

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 am
The New York Times
@nytimes
·
1h
Jeffrey Epstein's guards fell asleep and failed to check on him for about 3 hours, then falsified records to cover up their mistake
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/nyre ... tw-nytimes
The two staff members who were guarding the jail unit where Jeffrey Epstein apparently killed himself fell asleep and failed to check on him for about three hours, then falsified records to cover up their mistake, according to several law enforcement and prison officials with knowledge of the matter.

Those disclosures came on Tuesday as the two employees were placed on administrative leave and the warden of the jail, the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Manhattan, was temporarily reassigned, pending the outcome of the investigation into Mr. Epstein’s death, the Justice Department announced.

The two staff members in the special housing unit where Mr. Epstein was held — 9 South — falsely recorded in a log that they had checked on the financier, who was facing sex trafficking charges, every 30 minutes, as was required, two of the officials said. Such false entries in an official log could constitute a federal crime.

In fact, the two people guarding Mr. Epstein had been asleep for some or all of the three hours, three of the officials said.
I'm not usually a conspiracy theorists, but this case could turn anyone into a conspiracy theorist.

I mean, WTF?

And, yes, I realize incompetence is the most logical answer. I accept that. But I still want to know why Epstein was taken off suicide watch.
We’re in NYC this week. ImageImageImage x4

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:29 am

:waiting:

No autopsy yet? What is it now, four days? On Sunday MSNBC was saying it was coming out any minute now, and then it changed to coroner needed more info (or something like that). Now we're still waiting.

Lawsuits ahoy:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-cour ... n_20190814

:snippity: Araoz's case was not cited in the sex-trafficking indictment filed against Epstein in July. After his indictment and after she went public with her allegations, she was interviewed by both the FBI and federal prosecutors for the Southern District of New York as part of their investigation of Epstein. Araoz is continuing to cooperate as the criminal focus turns to any potential Epstein co-conspirators, her attorneys told NBC News. Araoz attorney Kimberly Lerner said Araoz has been assigned a victim number by the FBI, and has also been in touch with the Manhattan district attorney's office. :snippity:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:30 am

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorists, but this case could turn anyone into a conspiracy theorist.

I mean, WTF?

And, yes, I realize incompetence is the most logical answer. I accept that. But I still want to know why Epstein was taken off suicide watch.
:yeah:

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:36 am

I worked for a prison service for a number of years. If the guards were working multiple overtime shifts it means that there were budget freezes and/or a staffing shortage that cannot be blamed on the guards or even the warden.

And yes, it is unfortunately not uncommon to fake the log entries rather than walk around, climb stairs etc. You only get caught when something goes wrong.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:38 am

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:36 am
I worked for a prison service for a number of years. If the guards were working multiple overtime shifts it means that there were budget freezes and/or a staffing shortage that cannot be blamed on the guards or even the warden.

And yes, it is unfortunately not uncommon to fake the log entries rather than walk around, climb stairs etc. You only get caught when something goes wrong.
Thanks for that, and I do get that on some level. However, with such a high profile prisoner they couldn't be just a wee bit more careful?

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:56 am

Grumpy Old Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:36 am

I get it and don't blame the guards for catching a little shuteye if they were working multiple shifts. Sometimes you can't keep your eyes open and it's either nap or drugs. After all, somebody took Epstein off suicide watch and it wasn't the guards. (I used to work the 2nd shift at a hospital and many a night the graveyard shift employee didn't show so I had to pull 14 hours. Yes, I laid my head down on the desk and slept. The only way I'd get caught is if the Emergency Room called and I didn't wake up to answer. Or worse, one of the doctors come looking for me and find me sleeping. Luckily, that never happened, and even if it did, nobody would have died. Just a paperwork delay.)
We’re in NYC this week. ImageImageImage x4

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:58 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:23 am
► Show Spoiler

I mean, WTF?

Who put what into their coffee to make them both sleep sound for three hours?
One would expect that some internal alarm would go off if guards don't make certain actions within a certain time.

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”