Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

TESLA and Elon Musk - anything not elsewhere

jemcanada2

Re: TESLA anything

Post by jemcanada2 »

neeneko wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:59 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:46 pm Also, the studies I've read indicate that WFH increases production by 20%+. I know in my case, it becomes less of an "I work from home" thing and more of a "I live at work" thing, and that is hard to combat. I try to leave my computer in a room I'm not going to enter and walk away from it by 6pm every day. It's hard when you think of something you can knock out "real quick" at 8pm though, and the tools are right at your fingertips.
Something I have been _trying_ to do is shut off my work computer when I am done in the evening. It has been a struggle to disconnect like that.. esp when my boss treats this job like a hobby so he often will not start work till the evening and starts shooting off emails.
Ontario just enacted a “right to disconnect” law that prevents employers from making employees check emails, texts, phone calls, etc. outside of work hours.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8888631/onta ... employees/
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

jez wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:26 pm I don't understand the demand that people be in an office. I realize that there are some jobs that would require you to be onsite. Being a Network Admin is one that I can think off the top of my head.
The areas I can think of off the top of my head that came in during the lockdown were some IT, security contractors, and facilities. I may be missing a couple, but almost everyone else could and did work from home.

It was actually charming calling customer service because they were working from home. "I'm checking on that order now," rep says. Kids start yelling, dogs bark, chaos ensues. "Sorry about that; the neighbor kids just got home . . ."

We also found out some co-workers have children on the autism spectrum. They would talk about their challenges since the kids were no longer in their comfortable routines. I have a better understanding of what it means when children who aren't wired to go with the flow don't have a choice.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

jez wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:26 pm I don't understand the demand that people be in an office. I realize that there are some jobs that would require you to be onsite. Being a Network Admin is one that I can think off the top of my head.
A close friend of mine is a co-founder of a tech-based company. It was started a few years pre-COVID and a majority of the employees they hire are remote workers. It works for them because they can hire from anywhere without signing bonuses, relocation expenses and additional office space.

It seems to be working for them. They still schedule retreats and fly employees out to something a few times a year for team building.

Most of their employees are computer nerds and they generally like the solitude.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

My husband has been working from home since the scourge started and they'll never go back to the office because Xerox decided they didn't need an entire 6 story building and all the added costs when they could do just as well with half a floor of offices and some conference rooms. They bought everyone new laptops right off the bat and sent them home. It took them a year to decide to offload the building and tell everyone to stay home though.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

neonzx wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:17 pm
A close friend of mine is a co-founder of a tech-based company. It was started a few years pre-COVID and a majority of the employees they hire are remote workers. It works for them because they can hire from anywhere without signing bonuses, relocation expenses and additional office space.

It seems to be working for them. They still schedule retreats and fly employees out to something a few times a year for team building.

Most of their employees are computer nerds and they generally like the solitude.
So, if my gig with the bank goes south, think your friend might need a technical writer? :daydreaming:
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:08 am My husband has been working from home since the scourge started and they'll never go back to the office ...
Very cool. My niece's husband works above his garage, it's been turned into a nice office, on Bainbridge Island, across the sound from Seattle. He does go in to Seattle to his office at Starbucks once a week or so, just to check in and I reckon there are a few things that he can't do at home, but for him, his wife and 4 year old son (and the new babby girly), it's a wonderful arrangement.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
tek

Post by tek »

from the underlying article:
Up until Biden took office, however, NHTSA took very much a standoff approach to regulating Tesla. An investigation in 2016 into its Autopilot even concluded that crash rates were reduced by 40% in those vehicles equipped with the technology. Tesla happily cited NHTSA’s findings for its own marketing purposes, until the study was later retracted as fundamentally flawed.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Tesla anything?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Similar to Elmer Stewart Rhodes' entire family ditching him.
raison de arizona

Tesla sued by former employees over 'mass layoff'

Former Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) employees have filed a lawsuit against the U.S. electric car company alleging its decision to carry out a "mass layoff" violated federal law as the company did not provide advance notice of the job cuts.

The lawsuit was filed late Sunday in Texas by two workers who said they were terminated from Tesla's gigafactory plant in Sparks, Nevada in June. According to the suit, more than 500 employees were terminated at the Nevada factory.

The workers allege the company failed to adhere to federal laws on mass layoffs that require a 60-day notification period under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, according to the lawsuit.
:snippity:
"It's pretty shocking that Tesla would just blatantly violate federal labor law by laying off so many workers without providing the required notice," Shannon Liss-Riordan, an attorney representing the workers told Reuters.
:snippity:
https://www.reuters.com/business/tesla- ... 022-06-20/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
tek

Post by tek »

"It's pretty shocking that Tesla would just blatantly violate federal labor law by laying off so many workers without providing the required notice,"
Bless your heart.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“New Tesla factories losing billions of dollars, Musk says”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61905276

“Elon Musk says Tesla's new factories in Germany and the US are "losing billions of dollars" due to battery shortages and supply disruptions in China.
The multi-billionaire also called the plants in Berlin and Austin, Texas "gigantic money furnaces".”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
tek

Post by tek »

Uninformed wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:15 am “New Tesla factories losing billions of dollars, Musk says”:
Wut? The planet's most brilliant genius didn't see this coming and doesn't know what to do about it?

I'm shocked!

PS: the Twitter kerfluffle is also a gigantic money furnace.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Uninformed wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:15 am “New Tesla factories losing billions of dollars, Musk says”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61905276

“Elon Musk says Tesla's new factories in Germany and the US are "losing billions of dollars" due to battery shortages and supply disruptions in China.
The multi-billionaire also called the plants in Berlin and Austin, Texas "gigantic money furnaces".”
Factories in their first year(s) tend to be money burners until they finally streamline production without hickups. The German factory only officially opened March 22, 2022, aka this year, a few months ago.
JPMorgan forecasts that the factory would build around 54,000 cars in 2022, ramping up to 280,000 in 2023 and 500,000 by 2025.
in an article on opening the Berlin plant https://insideevs.com/news/575024/tesla ... t-model-y/
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

While it may have opened a few months ago, as of May, the Austin plant still had cranes around it and some big gaping holes in the wall. It appears to be open but with construction still ongoing there would be no chance they could be up to full capacity yet, even with a battery storage.
101010 :towel:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

in case anyone was wondering…

Elon Must is a white man.
► Show Spoiler
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Body aside, his face looks like it's melting from the plastic surgeries.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:36 pm Body aside, his face looks like it's melting from the plastic surgeries.
Never knew he had work done. It's an epidemic.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:11 pm
neonzx wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:36 pm Body aside, his face looks like it's melting from the plastic surgeries.
Common in California according a friend of mine. She's more left than I but thinks Elon is "handsome".
raison de arizona

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:11 pm
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Tesla sells most of its Bitcoin holdings”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62246367

“Tesla, which made waves last year when it revealed a major investment in Bitcoin, has now sold off most of its holdings.
The electric carmaker said it had offloaded 75% of its Bitcoin, which was worth about $2bn at the end of 2021.”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
raison de arizona

Uninformed wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:49 pm “Tesla sells most of its Bitcoin holdings”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62246367

“Tesla, which made waves last year when it revealed a major investment in Bitcoin, has now sold off most of its holdings.
The electric carmaker said it had offloaded 75% of its Bitcoin, which was worth about $2bn at the end of 2021.”
tl;dr
  • Tesla invested $1.5B in Bitcoin.
  • Tesla stopped accepting Bitcoin for purchases.
  • Tesla said it wouldn’t sell its Bitcoins. ("Tesla will not be selling any Bitcoin" -Musk)
  • Tesla’s investment ran the Bitcoin value up to $2M by the end of 2021.
  • Tesla sold 75% of its Bitcoin for $936M in 2022.
  • Tesla stock has fallen 40%.
  • Lolz
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:think: Enough disinvestment to compensate Twitter shareholders for dumping them :?:

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”