Trump's Trade Follicy

Volkonski

Re: Trump's Trade Follicy

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:56 pm

So much winning. ;)

China imports from US plunge 31% in June amid tariff war

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireSto ... r-64286836
Imports of U.S. goods fell 31.4% from a year earlier to $9.4 billion, while exports to the American market declined 7.8% to $39.3 billion, customs data showed Friday. China's trade surplus with the United States widened by 3% to $29.9 billion, potentially giving its critics ammunition to demand Washington take a hard line with Beijing.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:35 pm

Yes, winning so ever bigly.....
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Speculative: how high would tariffs on Chinese goods need to be set to discourage the US markets form purchasing ?

TYOP woulf wuff wuff

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:10 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:48 pm
Speculative: how high woulf tariffs on Chinese goods need to be set to discourage the US markets form purchasing ?
I don't think you can make a general number. Every commodity would be different.

There would be 2 factors. How much would it cost to get the commodity someplace else (if you can get it someplace else) and the elasticity of demand for the commodity.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:26 am

Business Insider: Trump's trade war appears to be costing the US more money than it's saving

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:22 am

Many new job opportunities... :sarcasm:
Huawei's U.S. research arm slashes jobs as trade ban bites
Jane Lanhee Lee, Sijia Jiang

SANTA CLARA, Calif./HONG KONG (Reuters) - China’s Huawei Technologies laid off more than two-thirds of the 850-strong workforce at its Futurewei Technologies research arm in the United States, after being blacklisted by the government.

Futurewei, which has offices in Silicon Valley and the greater Seattle, Chicago and Dallas areas, said it cut more than 600 jobs. The unit, set up in part to work with universities and researchers, recorded $510 million in operating costs last year.

Huawei is the world’s largest telecommunications equipment manufacturers. The U.S. Commerce Department in May placed the firm on its “entity list” of organizations that pose security risks. The Justice Department has filed charges against the firm alleging theft of trade secrets and other crimes.

Huawei said the job cuts, effective July 22, were “due to the curtailment of business operations” caused by the U.S. government’s actions.

The trade blacklist has made it illegal for Futurewei to transfer sensitive technologies to its parent. The blacklist also restricts Huawei from purchasing products from U.S. technology companies.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-huaw ... SKCN1UH23D

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:31 am

Indulge me a bit of my very late night musings. I'm putting it here because of trump's trade war. Apologies if it's not appropriate.

We know Russia interfered to elect trump and will interfere again.

China is most likely waiting him out.* If Russia can sabotage our elections, China can sabotage our elections.

What happens if new best buds, Putin and Xi, find themselves on opposite ends of their desired 2020 election outcome?

*and if my not-expert opinion is incorrect, I'm sure somebody will let me know. I'm a good listener.
ImageImageImage x4

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:04 pm

Reuters
U.S. to pay $15 minimum per acre to farmers hurt by China trade war

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government will pay a minimum of $15 per acre to farmers hurt by President Donald Trump’s trade war with China under an aid package to be unveiled before the end of the week, Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said on Tuesday.

U.S. farmers, a key Trump constituency, have been among the hardest hit in the trade war between the world’s two largest economies. Soybeans are the most valuable U.S. farm export, and shipments to China dropped to a 16-year low in 2018.

A new aid program would be the second round of assistance for farmers, after the Department of Agriculture’s $12 billion plan last year to compensate for lower prices for farm goods and lost sales stemming from trade disputes with China and other nations.

The USDA has redesigned last year’s aid program based on feedback. The new package will have a single payment rate per county, calculated by the damages in that area, instead of a rate for every commodity across the nation.

much ado

Post by much ado » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:16 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:31 am
Indulge me a bit of my very late night musings. I'm putting it here because of trump's trade war. Apologies if it's not appropriate.

We know Russia interfered to elect trump and will interfere again.

China is most likely waiting him out.* If Russia can sabotage our elections, China can sabotage our elections.

What happens if new best buds, Putin and Xi, find themselves on opposite ends of their desired 2020 election outcome?

*and if my not-expert opinion is incorrect, I'm sure somebody will let me know. I'm a good listener.
Someone should write a screenplay based on that scenario right now.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:24 pm

Just a personal note.

Hubs inherited some farm land which he leases out. His current tenant has been very reliable but his annual lease payment is late. He called last week to tell Hubs he's quitting the farming business and he'll send the money as soon as he can.

I wonder if he voted for trump (it's a blood-red state, so probably). I wonder how he feels about that now.
ImageImageImage x4

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:32 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:24 pm
Just a personal note.

Hubs inherited some farm land which he leases out. His current tenant has been very reliable but his annual lease payment is late. He called last week to tell Hubs he's quitting the farming business and he'll send the money as soon as he can.

I wonder if he voted for trump (it's a blood-red state, so probably). I wonder how he feels about that now.
Rub in the salt and ask him. Be cruel. He may deserve it.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:58 pm

Hurtzi wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:32 pm
Slim Cognito wrote:
Just a personal note.

That's kind of fucked up.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:25 am

Someone mentioned the #noplant19 hashtag on Twitter if you want to hear directly about the farmers' plight -which I think is a good idea...There seems to be a lot of chatter about rising food prices...All of this is no good for anybody in the US, so yeah, y'all need to gather these people as the scales fall from their eyes regarding the Drumpf Non-Administration. Everything seems set for a real implosion sometime before the end of year, both economically, diplomatically and politically...sigh...
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:13 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:58 pm
Hurtzi wrote:
Slim Cognito wrote:
Just a personal note.

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:33 am

HST's Ghost wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:25 am
Someone mentioned the #noplant19 hashtag on Twitter if you want to hear directly about the farmers' plight -which I think is a good idea...There seems to be a lot of chatter about rising food prices...All of this is no good for anybody in the US, so yeah, y'all need to gather these people as the scales fall from their eyes regarding the Drumpf Non-Administration. Everything seems set for a real implosion sometime before the end of year, both economically, diplomatically and politically...sigh...
I just watchd a rant on a Youtube video where the author listed how many precentage of crops are produced in California for the US home market. And that the farmers start to miss their illegal workers who don't come for work, have left or have been picked up by ICE raids. The guy predicts rising food prices just cause there will be a shortage of produce without hard working labour in the fields. This government has done nothing to make it easier to get crop workers legalized.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:37 am

Lack of farmworkers is also a big problem here on the North Fork. :(

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:11 am

Hurtzi wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:13 am
Mikedunford wrote:
Hurtzi wrote:

A classical reference to one of the less civilized periods in the European history doesn't make the idea less fucked up now. If anything, it makes it worse - one would hope we'd have learned something by now.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:12 am

Hurtzi wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:13 am
Mikedunford wrote:
Hurtzi wrote:

Nihil enim est occidere aut mori, quod nulla religio est.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

woodworker

Post by woodworker » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:18 pm

HST's Ghost wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:25 am

Time for a war to distract the masses and to try to force the Dems to rally behind him.

Slightly OT question for the FB: If Trump ordered the use of nukes, (a) would the military comply, (b) would the cabinet implement the 25th and (c)(1) would the House immediately impeach and (2) the Senate convict (all assuming that Iran doesn't go batshit first and attack us)? Also, international response??? I may start a new thread for this.
Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:02 am

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:20 am

Shit when you have to pray for a steep recession to get rid of the madman.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:33 pm

It would be like, 30% or more, if it wasn't for the Very Bad Fed who keeps rates at historical highs!

/crazy
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:40 pm

BBC News
Trump threatens tariffs against 'foolish' Macron

US President Donald Trump has accused French President Emmanuel Macron of "foolishness" over a digital services tax, and hinted that he would tax French wine in retaliation.

Mr Trump voiced his anger in a Tweet on Friday, in response to French plans to tax multinational firms like Google.

French authorities argue that the firms pay little or no corporate tax in countries where they are not based.

The Trump administration has said the tax unfairly targets US tech giants.

"France just put a digital tax on our great American technology companies. If anybody taxes them, it should be their home Country, the US," Mr Trump wrote on Twitter.

"We will announce a substantial reciprocal action on Macron's foolishness shortly. I've always said American wine is better than French wine!"

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:44 pm

I thought a few or more of these companies were actually Irish based for tax purposes.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:24 pm

Business Insider: The US economy slowed sharply in the 2nd quarter as Trump's trade war raged

Return to “Trump Administration”