Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Pennsylvania governor's race

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Pennsylvania governor's race

Post by RTH10260 »

Doug Mastriano, Far-Right Election Denier, Wins Pennsylvania Gubernatorial Primary
The Christian nationalist who was near the Capitol during the Jan. 6 insurrection was endorsed by former President Donald Trump.

Christopher Mathias
May. 17, 2022, 09:53 PM EDT | Updated 36 minutes ago

Doug Mastriano, the far-right state senator who attended the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection and has been at the center of efforts to overturn the fair results of the 2020 presidential election, won the Republican primary for governor in Pennsylvania on Tuesday — raising the prospect of an insurrectionist being governor of a key battleground state for the 2024 presidential contest.

Mastriano led the nine-person field with just over 40% of the vote on Tuesday when NBC News and The Associated Press called the race. He was beating his closest opponent, former U.S. Congressman Lou Barletta, by almost 20 points.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/doug-mas ... 4db72b0229
Notaperson

Re: Pennsylvania

Post by Notaperson »

Josh Shapiro, running unopposed, officially earns Democratic nod for Pennsylvania governor
Pennsylvania Democrats have made their choice for governor official, handing the nomination to second-term state Attorney General Josh Shapiro.

Mr. Shapiro was unopposed for the Democratic nomination. The incumbent, Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf, is term-limited.

Mr. Shapiro, 48, from the Philadelphia suburb of Abington, spent the primary campaign season raising money and working to boost his pick for lieutenant governor ahead of what is expected to be a grueling fall campaign.

He is a former state lawmaker and county commissioner whose record as attorney general includes the production of a 2018 report into child sexual abuse among the state’s Catholic churches.
https://www.post-gazette.com/news/polit ... 2205170129

I will lose what little hope I have left for America if Shapiro doesn't defeat the QAnon-pushing, election-denying Mastriano.

Please donate if you can: https://joshshapiro.org/meet-josh/ :boxing:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

One can only assume that “his” in this instance refers to Mastriano.
1CE349D7-1457-41C8-9201-055AB76C690A.jpeg
1CE349D7-1457-41C8-9201-055AB76C690A.jpeg (91.89 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

If Mastriano won, he would be right up there with Abbott and DeSantis.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... in-history
Pennsylvania Republicans have nominated state senator Doug Mastriano to be the next governor. Mastriano is one of the most radical gubernatorial candidates ever to receive a major party nomination.

Many Republicans have indulged Trump’s claims that Democrats stole the 2020 presidential election. But few have gone as far as Mastriano has to try to justify Trump’s fever dream.

On 25 November, Mastriano “staged a faux legal hearing in Gettysburg, in which Giuliani played prosecutor before a panel of Republican state senators and representatives”. Mastriano introduced a number of “poll watchers” who told unsubstantiated stories of “phantom ballots, hacked machines, and dead voters, which they claimed had all led to an election stolen from Trump”.

Five days later, after all of Trump’s legal challenges had failed and the Pennsylvania secretary of state had formally certified Biden the winner, Mastriano introduced a resolution urging Congress to ignore the official results. His plan was for the Pennsylvania legislature to ignore millions of votes and directly appoint electors pledged to Trump.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

...after all of Trump’s legal challenges had failed and the Pennsylvania secretary of state had formally certified Biden the winner, Mastriano introduced a resolution urging Congress to ignore the official results. His plan was for the Pennsylvania legislature to ignore millions of votes and directly appoint electors pledged to Trump.
A PAC needs to make this into a Star Wars intro style campaign ad. If they have the talent to spoof it, ala Space Balls or even That 70s Show, more power to them.
► Show Spoiler
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen @NoLieWithBTC wrote: NEW: The GOP nominee for Pennsylvania Governor, Doug Mastriano, just indicated he’ll steal the election in 2024 if he wins: “I get to appoint the Secretary of State, who [controls] the voting logs & everything. I could decertify every machine in the state with a stroke of a pen.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

He also says that if he's elected, he will make every voter in the state re-register to vote. He terrifies me.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:15 pm https:// twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1527331393415827461
No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen @NoLieWithBTC wrote: NEW: The GOP nominee for Pennsylvania Governor, Doug Mastriano, just indicated he’ll steal the election in 2024 if he wins: “I get to appoint the Secretary of State, who [controls] the voting logs & everything. I could decertify every machine in the state with a stroke of a pen.”
BUT... But... but... wouldn't that mean he just made his own election invalid? :shock:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... nsylvania/
Two decades before he was Republican nominee for Pennsylvania governor, Doug Mastriano warned in a master’s thesis that the United States was vulnerable to a left-wing “Hitlerian Putsch” that would begin with the dismantling of the U.S. military and end with the destruction of the country’s democracy.

The thesis, written in 2001 when Mastriano was a major at the Air Force’s Air Command and Staff College, is highly unusual for its doomsaying and often fearful point of view, and its prediction that only the U.S. military could save the country from the depredations of the country’s morally debauched civilian leaders. The paper is posted on an official Defense Department website and lists Mastriano as the author at a time when he said he received a master’s degree from the school.

In it, Mastriano adopts the point of view of a colonel who is living in 2018 — some 17 years in the future — and has taken refuge in an “isolated cavern” in the George Washington National Forest. The military’s collapse, in his telling, allowed a left-wing leader obsessed with “political correctness” and backed militarily by the United Nations and the European Union to rise to power in a struggle that led to the deaths of millions of Americans.

“Domestically, life was bleak with a rampant drug culture, hedonism and a plethora of ‘alternate’ religions dominating the American youth,” wrote Mastriano in the voice of his fictional colonel. “We were a people without vision or direction.”
raison de arizona

Well, at least you can say he is consistently :crazy:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Pennsylvania governor's race

Post by Foggy »

Slightly improved the thread title, we have a wonderful Senate race in Pennsylvania too also.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Foggy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:01 pm Slightly improved the thread title, we have a wonderful Senate race in Pennsylvania too also.
Thank you.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:47 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... nsylvania/
Two decades before he was Republican nominee for Pennsylvania governor, Doug Mastriano warned in a master’s thesis that the United States was vulnerable to a left-wing “Hitlerian Putsch” that would begin with the dismantling of the U.S. military and end with the destruction of the country’s democracy.

The thesis, written in 2001 when Mastriano was a major at the Air Force’s Air Command and Staff College, is highly unusual for its doomsaying and often fearful point of view, and its prediction that only the U.S. military could save the country from the depredations of the country’s morally debauched civilian leaders. The paper is posted on an official Defense Department website and lists Mastriano as the author at a time when he said he received a master’s degree from the school.

In it, Mastriano adopts the point of view of a colonel who is living in 2018 — some 17 years in the future — and has taken refuge in an “isolated cavern” in the George Washington National Forest. The military’s collapse, in his telling, allowed a left-wing leader obsessed with “political correctness” and backed militarily by the United Nations and the European Union to rise to power in a struggle that led to the deaths of millions of Americans.

“Domestically, life was bleak with a rampant drug culture, hedonism and a plethora of ‘alternate’ religions dominating the American youth,” wrote Mastriano in the voice of his fictional colonel. “We were a people without vision or direction.”
:o did anyone read the thesis paper?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I didn't, but I think it was accessible online on the link. WaPo is mostly not free, though.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:47 am I didn't, but I think it was accessible online on the link. WaPo is mostly not free, though.
What I meant to say, read by his academy tutors. How can this be considered a work to grant a diploms. :think:

The WaPo author made a copy available within the article. Cannot be separeted from the article.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:10 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:47 am I didn't, but I think it was accessible online on the link. WaPo is mostly not free, though.
What I meant to say, read by his academy tutors. How can this be considered a work to grant a diploms. :think:

The WaPo author made a copy available within the article. Cannot be separeted from the article.
Yes, I agree with both statements. It was for an Air Force academy, which is sort of considered to be the most "Christian" branch of the services. :(
raison de arizona

I read it. Apparently the beginning of the fall of America is when they let gays in the military.
:roll:

Having this guy in charge of anything more consequential than dog catcher is scary. And I wouldn’t want him to be dog catcher either.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a407262.pdf
raison de arizona

Why are people boycotting Martin’s potato rolls?

Those tasty Martin’s potato rolls that have been a staple of every sandwich, especially at Shake Shack, are now part of a political firestorm.

The reason: Members of the Martin’s family have financially supported Trump-backed Pennsylvania Republican gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano.

Philadelphia-based Billy Penn reported in May that executive chair Jim Martin has donated over $100,000 to Mastriano, who is a Pennsylvania state senator.

The senator is facing public backlash for his controversial behavior and statements, including for his attendance at the Jan. 6 rally at the U.S. Capitol, which has resulted in calls for his resignation. The rally led to the attack on the U.S. Capitol.
:snippity:
https://www.nj.com/news/2022/06/why-are ... rolls.html
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:44 pm
Why are people boycotting Martin’s potato rolls?

Those tasty Martin’s potato rolls that have been a staple of every sandwich, especially at Shake Shack, are now part of a political firestorm.

The reason: Members of the Martin’s family have financially supported Trump-backed Pennsylvania Republican gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano.

Philadelphia-based Billy Penn reported in May that executive chair Jim Martin has donated over $100,000 to Mastriano, who is a Pennsylvania state senator.

The senator is facing public backlash for his controversial behavior and statements, including for his attendance at the Jan. 6 rally at the U.S. Capitol, which has resulted in calls for his resignation. The rally led to the attack on the U.S. Capitol.
:snippity:
https://www.nj.com/news/2022/06/why-are ... rolls.html
This ... breaks my heart. Seriously, those potato rolls were, for awhile, the only bread on which my morning breakfast sammiches were made. During the happier days of my now dissolved marriage, they were the only rolls on which hot dogs and hamburgers were served when the ex and I would curl up on the couch having used the Foreman grill to whip up a quick dinner and downing that dinner with some pan-fried zucchini or potato slices and a bottle of cheap wine.

They were my happy memories.

I am inordinately sad.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:bighug:
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Off Topic
I ended up switching over to Schmidt's 'Old Tyme' Potato bread after Martin's offerings had some logistical issues supplying my local store, and ended up liking them better anyway.
tek

Post by tek »

ugh, not good news...

Martin's Potato rolls make the absolutely best pulled-pork or bbq-brisket sammiches.

But I'm sure I can survive.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I bought them in the past, won't again. :(
Out from under. :thumbsup:

Return to “Governors & State Elections”