Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Re: King Charles (Heir Apparent, Scorpio) and Queen Camilla (Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Ben-Prime »

Gregg wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:39 am
Ben-Prime wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:53 am
Gregg wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:13 am

Is there no one in the world who appreciates pancakes anymore?
I have found -- for the most part -- that pancakes here in the UK aren't as good as American pancakes. Waffles likewise lack that oomph. And I've yet to find a Dutch Baby. I'm not quite saying that I would commit crimes that would get me declared persona non grata and sent back to the U.S. in disgrace with my Foreign Service career ended, in exchange for a OPH-style Dutch Baby, but I'm not not saying it.

I guess, actually, what I'm really saying is that when sea otter curry is what's on the menu, maybe you get to like it.

Dammit, now I gotta wrap my broken toes, get into something more decent than my bumming-around-the-house attire, and hobble to the nearest breakfast place that makes anything *resembling* a decent waffle in this corner of Greater London. >fistishake<

The Greggs in Tottenham Court Rd doesn't suck. And you really don't have to get dressed for it...
I live in Putney, just north of Wimbledon. There's actually a little cafe a few blocks from Clapham Junction station that I love for American style breakfasts, but it would involve at least wearing pants (instead of the around-the-house South Asian lunghis that I picked up during my Bangladesh tour) and taking two buses. I am probably doing that this morning, but the other day, my foot was still swollen enough that I couldn't justify it.

To keep this topical, said foot was also the reason, alas, I had to pass on several Jubilee-related parties, which is a shame. I was in a lottery to get a few Embassy tickets to some of the ritzier events last minute, but withdrew after breaking my toes as it would be unfair to accept them if I had won.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Re: King Charles (Heir Apparent, Scorpio) and Queen Camilla (Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Luke »

This video is adorable! It's hard to find the full version with Paddington Bear but here it is:

🇬🇧 Full Video: Absolutely delightful surprise for the Queen’s Jubilee: 👑 #QueenElizabeth has tea with #PaddingtonBear! Marmalade Sandwiches for everyone! 🐻 A secret months in the making. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-famil ... ar-really/ #PlatinumJubilee #PlatinumJubileePageant #Jubilee_Pageant #HM70

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

That is adorable. If you then go on to watch the full video with performance by Adam Lambert and Queen you will see another hot boy. I have adored Adam for many years and so happy to see him perform before a worldwide audience of millions.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

OZ got a prime time replay (of course).

We missed the Paddington Bear and Brian May opening, not sure how much else. The skit was good, though Betty seemed a little stilted, she did better at the Olympics. I need to dig up May's segment, I bet it was the best thing on the night.

I have to say I was NOT impressed with much of the show I did see. Especially every thing that came on before Andrew Lloyd Weber.

The sound recording was absolutely horrible.

The DJ was horrible and unintelligible. Whoever followed him was the same.
I think the "Hamilton" segment was in bad taste, and the performance wasn't very good.
The Andrew Lloyd Weber was OK, but entirely unintelligible. Fucking Jason Donovan looked, acted, and sang like he was back on drugs.
Rod Stewart was worse than the DJ guy.
I turned off after that, I take it that Elton John was supposed to be there, but I just couldn't take anymore.

Did I say that the sound was atrocious?

Edit: the tenor doing an aria from La Boheme was good.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Elton John wasn't there, he pre recorded "My Song" at Windsor Castle and it played on the "Buckingham Palace Imax"
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I assume the tenor was probably Andrea Bocelli. He was scheduled so I would assume he would do an operatic aria for this (he does not do much opera performance as his blindness can be an issue).
101010 :towel:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I watched to whole concert and it wasn't half bad. I spent most of the time trying to figure out the configuration of the stage in front of Buckingham Palace. In several shots they were clearly directly in front of the gate, but that would have blocked them from view of the spectators who were spread down Pall Mall behind the Victoria statue. In others shots, notably Queen, they had to be in front of the Victoria statue becaue Brian May rose from it while the show was in front of him, although the camera could have been shooting from the palace and it would have worked, for the TV show, all but a very few of the spectators would have been watching from backstage.

And where the heck were the VIP seating they kept cutting to (to show the Royal family in the front row) ? I may watch it again, just to try to figure out where the stages were.

Furthermore, am I the only one who thinks there were an awful lot of Americans performing? Nothing against Diana Ross but the The Cast of Hamilton was a strange choice to honor the successor to the Monarch who is kind of the Darth Vader role in the plot.

It's not like England and the rest of the UK don't have more singers than Queen and Elton John. I mean, if Elton can phone in a taped performance, why couldn't get Paul McCartney? Ed Sheeran, Eric Clapton? Adele even?

I know, people are busy, Mick and Keef were in Munich, Paul was in Syracuse New York? But the cast of a play about the guys who started the whole "What British Empire? We don't need no stinkin' British Empire" movement might have been a little odd.

Or I think so, at least.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

For instance....

Clearly between the Victoria statue and the gates of the Palace...

But clearly in front of the Statue,

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:lol: usually it's the prime ministers that are in the hot seat of the trebuchet...
keith

Post by keith »

Gregg wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:59 pm :snippity:

... But the cast of a play about the guys who started the whole "What British Empire? We don't need no stinkin' British Empire" movement might have been a little odd.

Or I think so, at least.
I agree completely. Like I said in my post above, I thought it was very bad taste.
keith

Post by keith »

Gregg wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:14 pm For instance....

Clearly between the Victoria statue and the gates of the Palace...

:snippity:

But clearly in front of the Statue,

:snippity:
I couldn't figure it out either. None of the angles make any sense to me. There are very long lenses involved, but still it seems impossible.
keith

Post by keith »

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Gregg wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:59 pm I
It's not like England and the rest of the UK don't have more singers than Queen and Elton John. I mean, if Elton can phone in a taped performance, why couldn't get Paul McCartney? Ed Sheeran, Eric Clapton? Adele even?
Perhaps a less subtle approach should have been used? "Those are nice knighthoods you have Sir Paul, Sir Mick, great CBE Eric, keep it polished, perhaps you'd like to upgrade your MBEs some time Ed and Adele? Great to have them, isn't it? On another completely unrelated matter, Her Majesty – you remember her, the lady who gave you your gong – is planning a big concert at Buckingham Palace and would very much appreciate your participation. You will be able to come, won't you?"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Just saying that the choice may not have been about amassing celebrities but offer Her Majesty a selection of sound bites of her liking.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shamelessly stolen from FB.
Attachments
thrown.jpg
thrown.jpg (65.7 KiB) Viewed 676 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

It's the Queen's English, if she wants to sit on a thrown, so be it.
keith

Post by keith »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:35 am Just saying that the choice may not have been about amassing celebrities but offer Her Majesty a selection of sound bites of her liking.
Except that she was reportedly NOT amused by May playing God Save The Queen from the roof
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

The queen is dead, long live the queen. :( :cry:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I don’t know why but your post got to me, raison, more than others. :brokenheart:
much ado

Post by much ado »

Actually, it should be

The Queen is dead; long live the King.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

I was afraid this was coming when I saw stories about Charles and William rushing to Balmoral. 70 years gone. Longer than Queen Victoria.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

PaulG wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:16 pm I was afraid this was coming when I saw stories about Charles and William rushing to Balmoral. 70 years gone. Longer than Queen Victoria.
I don't know why this has me so broken up, I'm American and have hardly followed the Royals over the years. I guess it has something to do with that she has been a fixture in my entire life. Always there, and now... I feel like a relative has died.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”