Weather Alerts

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Impressive video!

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Forecast here today is "a high near 106". :eek:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Damn. Tornado sirens are sounding. I’m in the basement.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Stay safe!

I am in KS

a couple weeks ago was WAY too close to me.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

It’s good now. Twitter showed some trees uprooted in a nearby suburb, there were some folks with water in their basements, some street flooding, some folks without power. But I survived.

It’s supposed to get up to 90 tomorrow with a repeat of the storms tomorrow night. Some rain is nice. The rest can just skip me.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

For example…

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Venice, Italy, can give advice how to use gondolas in narrow water ways :twisted:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

A week ago on May 12 a storm front crossed West-Central Minnesota with windspeeds of 100+ miles per hour and included tornado touchdowns.

Farmers were just preparing to put in spring crops.

Aftermath as reported by a farmer i follow on Youtube.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:03 am A week ago on May 12 a storm front crossed West-Central Minnesota with windspeeds of 100+ miles per hour and included tornado touchdowns.

Farmers were just preparing to put in spring crops.

Aftermath as reported by a farmer i follow on Youtube.
Interesting!

My sister-in-law’s elderly mom lives in that part of the state and those storms knocked down two trees on her property, one across her driveway. She also lost electricity. Her neighbors helped her get the tree moved and her garage door open so she could get her car out. Since her place is in the country, she needs electricity to power the well for water, so she relocated to my brother and SIL’s until the power was back on at her house.

I have a niece who is getting married this summer and her fiancé grew up in west central MN. I was at her bridal shower on Saturday and her future mother-in-law commented that, like the farmer in your videos, it’s just too wet for her husband to get out in the fields.

I saw other relatives, from northern Iowa, on Sunday. Fortunately their weather has been much better, and almost all their crops have been planted.

I’ll have to see if these relatives have heard of this Millennial Farmer.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/tornadoes-mi ... 32ea6eca5d
GAYLORD, Mich. (AP) — A rare northern Michigan tornado tore through a small community on Friday, killing at least one person and injuring at least 23 others as it flipped vehicles, tore roofs from buildings and downed trees and power lines.

The twister hit Gaylord, a city of about 4,200 people roughly 230 miles (370 kilometers) northwest of Detroit, at around 3:45 p.m.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I've driven through Gaylord quite often.
GAYLORD, Mich. (AP) — A tornado that hammered a northern Michigan town has injured at least 23 people and killed at least one person.

Munson Healthcare spokesman Brian Lawson said Friday that he had no details about the person who was killed or the conditions of those who were hurt by the tornado that rushed through Gaylord, a city of about 4,200 roughly 230 miles (370 kilometers) northwest of Detroit at around 3:45 p.m.

Michigan State Police released some updated information about the injured and the one fatality on Twitter: “Patients have been taken to Otsego Memorial Hospital (OMH) in Gaylord, Grayling Hospital, and McLaren Northern Michigan Hospital in Petoskey. At this time we can confirm 23 patients were treated at OMH. We have one confirmed dead at this time.”

Lawson said the pace of people being brought to Gaylord-Otsego Memorial Hospital had slowed since the hours right after the storm.

“From what I’m gathering things have stabilized a bit,” he said.

The tornado tore through the small Northern Michigan community just before 4 p.m. on Friday, inflicting injuries, flipping vehicles, tearing the roofs off buildings and causing other damage.
https://www.mlive.com/news/2022/05/1-pe ... MhW39_e9j4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:( :(
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

A local friend was visiting family and left a few hours before the storm hit. Family is okay, other than hail damage to the car. ( :notworthy: no, not that kind of hail)
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:37 pm I've driven through Gaylord quite often.
GAYLORD, Mich. (AP) — A tornado that hammered a northern Michigan town has injured at least 23 people and killed at least one person.

Munson Healthcare spokesman Brian Lawson said Friday that he had no details about the person who was killed or the conditions of those who were hurt by the tornado that rushed through Gaylord, a city of about 4,200 roughly 230 miles (370 kilometers) northwest of Detroit at around 3:45 p.m.

Michigan State Police released some updated information about the injured and the one fatality on Twitter: “Patients have been taken to Otsego Memorial Hospital (OMH) in Gaylord, Grayling Hospital, and McLaren Northern Michigan Hospital in Petoskey. At this time we can confirm 23 patients were treated at OMH. We have one confirmed dead at this time.”

Lawson said the pace of people being brought to Gaylord-Otsego Memorial Hospital had slowed since the hours right after the storm.

“From what I’m gathering things have stabilized a bit,” he said.

The tornado tore through the small Northern Michigan community just before 4 p.m. on Friday, inflicting injuries, flipping vehicles, tearing the roofs off buildings and causing other damage.
https://www.mlive.com/news/2022/05/1-pe ... MhW39_e9j4
I was in Gaylord yesterday evening -- I chair a meeting of my recovery group on Fridays and we have a poker game Friday evenings. The entire north side of the town (including downtown) was blocked off by police with a 7pm curfew (we were in the city limits, but south of the area that was locked down). One of my friends showed me a picture of the view from his front steps on his phone -- it's the same apartment complex shown at the beginning of the video I linked below. His car would have been parked in the middle of that pile of debris if he had been there when the tornado hit. Another of my friends was saying that a trailer park had been devastated by the tornado (there were still a few homes in the front and the back, but the ones in the center were gone). A bunch of the businesses on main street were destroyed -- I'm not sure if the Big Boy that I frequently have dinner at on Friday nights is still standing, the Culver's just down the road is a total loss and a big new Goodwill store nearby was pretty much wrecked. When I was on my way up -- I live about 1/2 hour drive to the south -- a couple of hours after the tornado hit I passed a bunch of wreckers and flatbeds on their way to the scene and emergency vehicles were going past all night on their way in from downstate. A good part of the town is without electricity or gas (and probably will be for several days). As far as I know, none of my friends were injured or had their homes destroyed, but several live in the area that is locked down. It's going to be quite a while before this small community recovers from this.

Too, also, this was an unusual event -- it was chilly in the morning and then the temperature got up into the 90s before cooling off into the 50s in the evening. There apparently wasn't much warning either -- some people got phone alerts, but, as I understand it Gaylord doesn't have a tornado siren and the severe weather seems to have come up pretty quickly. Not to mention that last week there were wildfires to the north and east of town. Both this year and last year we haven't really had a "spring" -- it's gone pretty much straight from winter into summer with little to no transition. It definitely seems like the climate is becoming more chaotic...

https://www.accuweather.com/en/videos/im8IMDNr
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

From my Weather Underground page comes the least surprising headline....ever.

Trailer Park Demolished by Deadly Michigan Tornado
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... io-quebec/
A line of violent thunderstorms tore across the most populous corridor of Canada on Saturday, killing at least five people and cutting power to nearly a million people.

The storms carved a path of destruction from southern Ontario to southeast Quebec, passing close to or directly through three of Canada’s four largest cities: Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa. Pearson International Airport, which serves the Toronto metro area
and is the largest in the country, measured a wind gust of about 75 mph. Ottawa International Airport, another major hub, also recorded a 75 mph gust.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our north Texas primary residence is safe from hurricanes but as always our North Fork cottage is not. Its location on a narrow peninsula is great in good weather but not so great when named storms come up the Atlantic coast. Also not great during nor'easters.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

West of Lubbock in the lower part of the panhandle.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

and people driving right towards it.....???????
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:39 am and people driving right towards it.....???????
I'm not sure if it's an idiot, a storm chaser, or an idiot storm chaser.
101010 :towel:

Return to “General Stuff”