Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Re: CPAC Conference(s) 2022

Post by Ben-Prime »

SuzieC wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:16 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:30 am
Suranis wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:50 pm

Because the "my body my choice" argument for Abortion is fucking stupid to begin with. Which was the point of them making that argument in the first place, to blow that stupid argument back to "the libs." Of course as is the nature of things they started using it seriously because freedumb, the same reasons Pro-abortionists use it; to pretend they are about freedumb. It makes zero sense for abortion and it makes just as much zero sense for anti-vaccers.

Watching the two of you practice high horseism while refusing to admit you are both using the same stupid argument is like Mitt Romney being "against Obamacare" when it was the same fucking scheme as the Romneycare he instituted in Massachusetts.

A pox on both your houses. I'm done.
I mean, I personally find that there is absolutely a difference between saying "My body my choice" within the context of "my neighbors are not the ones who have to bear the social cost of me undergoing this procedure" and saying it with the meaning of "my neighbors are the ones who have to bear the social cost of me not undergoing this procedure". I get why you don't, as you've been quite plain about being pro-birth. But to say there's no difference is ignoring context and subtext.
Wow. Unbelievable. Thanks for your measured and reasonable response Ben Prime.
Not gonna lie -- the original draft was longer, angrier, snarkier, and pushing the edge of allowable for this forum if not outright stepping over the line. I choked that response back, and went for the more reasonable answer because I realized that the alternative was not who I wanted to be at this point in my life and at this point in the discussion.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

:bighug: ---> Ben-Prime
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:21 am :yeahthat:

:bighug: ---> Ben-Prime
Absolutely. :clap: :clap: :clap:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The Ukraine Invasion Has Scrambled CPAC’s Brain
Attendees at the annual conference have spent its first two days trying to find a satisfying response to Putin's transgressions.

https://newrepublic.com/article/165512/ ... e-invasion
The American Conservative Union, the hosts and organizers of the event, obviously learned the lesson of the disastrous live anthem performance at CPAC 2021. This year, the anthem is pre-recorded. Every note is perfect. Things are going according to plan.

And yet, as the anthem reaches its crescendo—the rockets and the bombs—my mind is anywhere but this room. I am thinking of my sleepless eyes transfixed, along with the rest of the nation, on the horrific videos emerging from Ukraine. We watched as the hell of European war waged by a superpower for the purpose of territorial expansion descended upon us in fire and fury. Most of us have no living memory of such a thing. To the end, I was sure it would not happen. And yet all of us now live in a world in which Russia has unhinged its jaw to swallow its neighbor.

:snippity:

But this wan effort to paper over the Putin-lionizing in which many conservatives indulged in the run-up to the invasion is a far cry from a policy position, and twenty minutes later ACU senior fellow K.T. McFarland took the stage in an unscheduled appearance to try to weave this horrific development into the existing party line. CPAC speakers had planned to hammer Biden on inflation, and so McFarland told the crowd that skyrocketing oil prices under the Biden administration gave Putin the money he needed to launch his invasion. After years of framing China as America’s nemesis, she argued that the recent China-Russia pact has restored “the China-Soviet alliance [that] has bedeviled the free world.

But McFarland also deployed anti-Russian rhetoric not heard on a CPAC stage in many years. She framed Putin’s aggression as part of a “generational struggle not just about Europe,” asserted that the Russian dictator would continue to gobble up territory, and assured attendees that Putin’s endgame was the dissolution of NATO. Though she did not overtly call for military action, she emphasized the importance of standing with our allies.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

At Trump’s CPAC VIP Party, they are serving McDonalds.
:roll:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Trump is about to speak at CPAC 2022. My video thread begins here.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Garbage, just garbage.
Trump calls Putin smart, says NATO is not so smart, and calls our leaders dumb
Matt Gaetz @mattgaetz wrote: America First

I mean it

Consistently

This may be Ukraine’s 1776

It’s not ours

Our fight for freedom in America is ongoing here in our home
Anthony Zurcher @awzurcher wrote: After a few speakers at #CPAC (none elected politicians) told conservatives to care about Ukraine, Rep. Matt Gaetz pulls in other direction: “Why should Americans have to pay the cost of freedoms elsewhere when our own leader won’t stand up for our own freedom here?”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

If I was looking for a motivational speaker to come out and fire up the crowd on a Sunday morning to get people pumped up, Larry Kudlow would not be my first choice.
:yawn:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:roll:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:faint: :faint: :faint:
tek

Post by tek »

Don Jr begins his CPAC speech by attacking Hunter Biden for using drugs and allegedly grifting
As usual, it is all projection.
/ffs
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

Kendra wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:31 pm
This speech is going to age so well, I just know it. I want to save it in a file somewhere just for the eventual but inevitable schadenfreude.

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

So when's the next one?
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Foggy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:42 pm So when's the next one?
August 4-7 in Dallas.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

GOP is going full Putin.

Pro-Putin Strongman Orban To Headline CPAC Hungary
https://www.joemygod.com/2022/04/pro-pu ... c-hungary/
America’s most prominent conservative gathering, founded on ideals of personal liberty and limited government, convenes in Budapest next month to celebrate a European leader accused of undermining democracy and individual rights.

The May meeting of the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) is seen by some Republicans as a test of how closely American conservatives are willing align themselves with a global movement of far-right, Russia-friendly strongmen embraced by former U.S. President Donald Trump.

The event’s keynote speaker is Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban, a longtime supporter of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Orban's at the top of his game right now, fresh off his fourth "win." I posted in the Hungary thread a few days ago about how Orban got where he is. It's the republican dream.

viewtopic.php?p=95510&hilit=hungary#p95510

It makes me sick. Apparently, the 1956 Revolution has been forgotten. But Hungary doesn't really have a long history as an enlightened democracy.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

He would know. :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

He's right. Read it. See if your eyes bug out like mine did when I read the list of attendees.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It made me queasy to read that. :crying:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

p0rtia wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:59 pm He's right. Read it. See if your eyes bug out like mine did when I read the list of attendees.

The thing is, all that usually matters to TFG is whether they like him and say nice things about him. If so, he doesn't care whom else they hate.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Of course. It’s the rest of the pack that is chilling. Cf Meafows. Also, poor Hungary.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Trump will sour on CPAC as soon as its members start referring to Trump as America's leading follower of Orban. ;)

Return to “Current Politics”