X -Where Twitter goes to die.

MN-Skeptic

Re: Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I wonder what kinds of lawsuits Musk is envisioning.

I'm just thinking back to the legal department in the company I worked for. We made a product which could be quite dangerous if you didn't follow safety procedures. So our legal department did work associated with developing our product (patents, etc.) and defending us when sued for damages caused by the product.

I imagine that Tesla has the basic legal department every manufacturer has - everything related to patents and issues relating to their manufactured product.

So what lawsuits is Musk thinking of?

I know our corporation used outside law firms, for example, when dealing with the IRS went beyond what the tax department handled. I imagine you use an outside law firm if you are sued for discrimination.

Is Musk thinking of lawyers working on his own personal issues? That's what I'm thinking.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:54 pm Do grown men actually call it a wiener?
Who said Elon is a grown man?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:43 pm I wonder what kinds of lawsuits Musk is envisioning.

So what lawsuits is Musk thinking of?
I’m guessing he’s going full Lindell on some topic or other.

And possibly suing anyone accusing him of anything.

I knew nothing of him other than a cameo on The Big Bang Theory. Now I know he’s narcissistic, not bright, and immature.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

He really is the Mike Lindell of electric vehicles. For instance, he has a history of forcing customers to sign NDAs in order to get warranty work done on their vehicles. No kidding.

Actually I guess that has nothing to do with Lindell.

But still. NDAs for warranty work!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:58 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:49 pm
bob wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:16 pm
:fingerwag:

Musk is assembling a hardcore litigation department; in addition to its easy-mode department. :roll:

For his Tesla's litigation-as-combat needs.
I think this legal department is à la Mike Lindell.
You may be on to something. I've seen speculation that Musk shopped his plans around to real lawyer firms and was roundly turned down, thus rolling his own. :shrug:
:think: :think: :think: he plans to run for a public office and needs a trusted team to counter a stolen election, perhaps :confuzzled:

I know some lawyers who are out of business and still waiting for thei cheques to arrive ...
raison de arizona

RTH10260 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:27 am
raison de arizona wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:58 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:49 pm
I think this legal department is à la Mike Lindell.
You may be on to something. I've seen speculation that Musk shopped his plans around to real lawyer firms and was roundly turned down, thus rolling his own. :shrug:
:think: :think: :think: he plans to run for a public office and needs a trusted team to counter a stolen election, perhaps :confuzzled:

I know some lawyers who are out of business and still waiting for thei cheques to arrive ...
Shoot, I missed this addition.
Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: Looking for hardcore streetfighters, not white-shoe lawyers like Perkins or Cooley who thrive on corruption.

There will be blood
:roll: So yeah, wouldn’t be surprised if he shopped around and was roundly turned down.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Looks like Musk is gone way too deep into his stash of Cocaine.
Hic sunt dracones
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Musk has been Red Pilled, as the conservative Right calls it. His tweets are in full throated support of the Big Lie and the world’s richest man now seems determined to “own the Libs” and, in a reply that observed that he seems “out for blood” with liberals, Musk actually replied that he certainly was “out for blood”.

He seems deranged. I don’t know how much impact it will have in the future, but it cannot be a good thing for person of his resources with his personality traits to be going this flavor of crazy.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Danraft wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:45 am Musk has been Red Pilled, as the conservative Right calls it.
No, he hasnt. He is just full of shit and a master attention whore. After reading this article I wont believe a word the guy says ever again. Basically the media has moved from one full of shit media whore onto another, and they are tapdancing to the same crap again

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/elon-m ... ull-of-sht
Elon Musk Is Pathologically Full of Sh*t

As someone who’s been telling liberals for years that their green energy hero Elon Musk is a pathological liar and a charlatan, it’s been extremely annoying to hear conservatives now accuse critics of Musk of disliking him because he’s a free speech crusader or – lately – some kind of conservative.

My distrust of the Tesla Motors CEO has nothing to do with his views on censorship or his politics – if he even has any. Rather, it is his long track record of being pathologically full of shit.

Take the latest performance in the interminable Musk circus.

An editor at Insider said the publication contacted Musk on Wednesday at 9 a.m. ET for a comment on a story about him that it would be running.

The story tells of a $250,000 severance package paid to a female former flight attendant at SpaceX, where Musk is CEO. Her friend told Insider the woman was sexually harassed by Musk, who allegedly exposed himself to her. At one point Musk reportedly offered to buy the woman a horse because he was apparently having a totally normal one.

Musk replied to Insider by saying there’s “a lot more to this story” and asked the outlet for more time to respond. Insider agreed and extended its deadline. But instead of following up with Insider, Musk took to Twitter to announce he’d be voting Republican and predicted Democrats would engage in “dirty tricks” against him.

Skeptics of the man immediately sensed bad news was coming down the pike for Musk, who is a masterful manipulator of the media.

And so, the Insider story dropped the next day. Musk has denied the allegations. Many Tesla fans and conservatives have dismissed or downplayed the story and have taken Musk’s bait – hook, line, and sinker. Musk is being unfairly maligned, they say, just as the Oracle of Fremont/Austin/Mars prophesied.

Musk’s tweet was driven less by politics, and more by a desire to spin the narrative. When he tweeted he’ll be voting Republican, he wasn’t really making a political statement, but rather shaping the discourse. His ability to do this successfully is unparalleled thanks to an embarrassingly credulous media, not to mention his fanboys.
Rest at the link
Hic sunt dracones
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

I’d suggest reading his tweets and replies firsthand. No need to have someone tell you what to think. Anyhoo, I stand by my statement.
Suranis wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:56 pm
Danraft wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:45 am Musk has been Red Pilled, as the conservative Right calls it.
No, he hasnt. He is just full of shit and a master attention whore. After reading this article I wont believe a word the guy says ever again. Basically the media has moved from one full of shit media whore onto another, and they are tapdancing to the same crap again

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/elon-m ... ull-of-sht
Elon Musk Is Pathologically Full of Sh*t

As someone who’s been telling liberals for years that their green energy hero Elon Musk is a pathological liar and a charlatan, it’s been extremely annoying to hear conservatives now accuse critics of Musk of disliking him because he’s a free speech crusader or – lately – some kind of conservative.

My distrust of the Tesla Motors CEO has nothing to do with his views on censorship or his politics – if he even has any. Rather, it is his long track record of being pathologically full of shit.

Take the latest performance in the interminable Musk circus.

An editor at Insider said the publication contacted Musk on Wednesday at 9 a.m. ET for a comment on a story about him that it would be running.

The story tells of a $250,000 severance package paid to a female former flight attendant at SpaceX, where Musk is CEO. Her friend told Insider the woman was sexually harassed by Musk, who allegedly exposed himself to her. At one point Musk reportedly offered to buy the woman a horse because he was apparently having a totally normal one.

Musk replied to Insider by saying there’s “a lot more to this story” and asked the outlet for more time to respond. Insider agreed and extended its deadline. But instead of following up with Insider, Musk took to Twitter to announce he’d be voting Republican and predicted Democrats would engage in “dirty tricks” against him.

Skeptics of the man immediately sensed bad news was coming down the pike for Musk, who is a masterful manipulator of the media.

And so, the Insider story dropped the next day. Musk has denied the allegations. Many Tesla fans and conservatives have dismissed or downplayed the story and have taken Musk’s bait – hook, line, and sinker. Musk is being unfairly maligned, they say, just as the Oracle of Fremont/Austin/Mars prophesied.

Musk’s tweet was driven less by politics, and more by a desire to spin the narrative. When he tweeted he’ll be voting Republican, he wasn’t really making a political statement, but rather shaping the discourse. His ability to do this successfully is unparalleled thanks to an embarrassingly credulous media, not to mention his fanboys.
Rest at the link
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Danraft wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:23 am I’d suggest reading his tweets and replies firsthand. No need to have someone tell you what to think. Anyhoo, I stand by my statement.
I would suggest that if he has a history of saying contradictory shit for attention, then you have to take that into account, rather than just what he is saying now. Otherwise it's like taking TGFs statements that he would never go back on Twitter at face value.
Hic sunt dracones
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Danraft wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:45 am Musk has been Red Pilled, as the conservative Right calls it. His tweets are in full throated support of the Big Lie and the world’s richest man now seems determined to “own the Libs” and, in a reply that observed that he seems “out for blood” with liberals, Musk actually replied that he certainly was “out for blood”.

He seems deranged. I don’t know how much impact it will have in the future, but it cannot be a good thing for person of his resources with his personality traits to be going this flavor of crazy.
He has TFG's shark eyes.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

His… I don’t know what to call it, mugging for the cameras?… at the Met Gala this year nearly had me throwing shoes. It was the MOST cringe-worthy thing I’ve seen in a while.

I can’t believe I once defended him. “He’s our only genius, leave him alone!” I’m so sorry. Now I think he’s just another asshole billionaire.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

:yeahthat:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
raison de arizona

SEC confirms probe of Elon Musk’s Twitter share purchase disclosures
Musk initially filed as a passive investor, despite making pronouncements about how the company should change

The Securities and Exchange Commission confirmed on Friday it had asked Tesla chief executive Elon Musk about irregularities in how and when he disclosed his investment in Twitter.

In a letter dated April 4, the day Musk’s investments in the company became public through a filing, the regulator asked him why he listed his stake as passive while making public statements about the company. It also asked him why he missed a 10-day deadline for disclosing his investment.

Musk changed his investment status to active the following day.

The letter confirms that the SEC is investigating the circumstances of Musk’s purchase of Twitter shares, which began in early 2021 and has culminated in his deal to take over the entire company for $44 billion. The investigation could lead to a fine, but is unlikely to affect the deal itself. The Wall Street Journal reported earlier in May that the SEC was investigating Musk’s purchases.
:snippity:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... c-twitter/
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Twitter to pay $150 million fine over deceptively collected data
The Federal Trade Commission and Justice Department announced the company will also have to implement a new security program

By Cat Zakrzewski
Updated May 25, 2022 at 6:46 p.m. EDT|Published May 25, 2022 at 5:50 p.m. EDT

Federal regulators Wednesday announced that Twitter will pay a $150 million fine to settle allegations that it deceptively used email address and phone numbers it had collected to target advertising, in one of the largest privacy settlements federal regulators have reached with a tech giant.

The Federal Trade Commission and the Justice Department said the company also will be banned from profiting off the “deceptively collected” data and be required to notify the more than 140 million users who were affected that it used their phone numbers and email addresses for advertising, according to a news release about the settlement. And the company will be required to implement and maintain a new privacy program that will require the company to review the security risks of new products.

“The $150 million penalty reflects the seriousness of the allegations against Twitter, and the substantial new compliance measures to be imposed as a result of today’s proposed settlement will help prevent further misleading tactics that threaten users’ privacy,” Associate Attorney General Vanita Gupta said in a release.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... -fine-ftc/
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

That’s fine. He can pay his billion dollar breakup fee and go home.

Here’s his whine SEC filling: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... ex99-o.htm
June bug

Post by June bug »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:58 am That’s fine. He can pay his billion dollar breakup fee and go home.
He’s looking to beat down the price. And he may very well succeed.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Long time Friend of The FogBow, Dave Weigel gets a month off from WaPo for a ReTweet.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:58 am That’s fine. He can pay his billion dollar breakup fee and go home.

Here’s his whine SEC filling: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... ex99-o.htm
Musk may have already determined to walk away. Making data/analysis requests that Twitter may not be able to respond to (in a way that satisfies Musk) could be an effort to avoid paying the break-up fee, or at least create significant litigating hazards should Twitter seek to enforce it.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I don't know how these merges things work in terms of break-up fees. I am not even sure to who the fees would go. If it was Twitter, could they just say, here give us this smaller amount and just go away? I don't know about any banks that are participating in the funding.

JPC to the White Courtesy Phone, please, JPC to the White Courtesy Phone, please. No, the White Courtesy Phone.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

Twitter is reportedly not going to allow Musk to walk away from the deal unscathed, if possible. In an attempt to end his whining about bots, and his repeatedly not accepting their data and algorithms for same, they are reportedly giving him access to the full "firehose" of Tweets, and he can then figure it out himself. Or whatever. But what he can't do, is claim they didn't give him access to the data.
Twitter Said to Agree to Give Elon Musk Access to Stream of Tweets
The move may make it tougher for Mr. Musk, who has said he is not getting enough information from the company, to end the $44 billion acquisition.

Elon Musk has threatened to pull out of a $44 billion deal for Twitter, saying the company has refused to give him information about its fake accounts.

So Twitter now plans to give Mr. Musk access to a large swath of its data, potentially down to its very last tweet.

The social media company has agreed to allow Mr. Musk direct access to its “firehose,” the stream of millions of tweets that flow through the company’s network on a daily basis, according to a person with knowledge of the decision. Whether Mr. Musk will get full or partial access to that “firehose” is unclear.

The information would give Mr. Musk the tools to discern how many accounts on Twitter’s platform may be fake. But it isn’t likely to help him reach Twitter’s conclusion that 5 percent of its active accounts are fake, since the company uses a different methodology involving proprietary data and human analysis to get to that figure. Mr. Musk has said he doesn’t believe that just 5 percent of Twitter’s active accounts are fake.

Twitter’s move may make it more difficult for Mr. Musk to terminate the deal. On Monday, his lawyers sent a letter to the company, accusing it of stonewalling his efforts to obtain information that was essential to closing the acquisition. For weeks, Mr. Musk has also tweeted increasingly barbed comments about Twitter’s fake accounts, appearing to lay the groundwork to renegotiate or get out of the agreement.
:snippity:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/08/tech ... weets.html
raison de arizona

Tell me you've never worked with big data without telling me you've never worked with big data.
Brianna Wu @BriannaWu wrote:Starting to think Space Karen isn’t that smart. I’ve barely used the Twitter API, and the number of ways this is false is truly mind blowing.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”