The United States Women's National Soccer Team

Volkonski
Verified:

The United States Women's National Soccer Team

Post by Volkonski »

Yesterday the USNWT won the SheBelieves Cup for the 2nd time in a row. The US was undefeated beating Canada, Brazil and Argentina.

Not many people noticed. :(

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2021/0 ... -standings
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Suranis

Re: The United States Women's National Soccer Team

Post by Suranis »

Welcome to Women's sports. I love Women's Rugby but becasue they don't have the build of ballerinas with big tits and don't have 98% Skin exposure, no-one cares. And shockingly when they accidentally put it on TV it gets a massive audience.

But in Beach Vollyball they have to wear bikinis...
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... pay-battle
US women’s soccer team reach landmark $24m settlement in equal pay battle
Agreement ends six year legal battle for USWNT
US Soccer also agrees to equal bonuses for World Cup
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:clap:
The U.S. men's and women's soccer teams will be paid equally under a new deal

The U.S. Soccer Federation announced Wednesday that it has reached a deal to pay the U.S. Men's National Team and the U.S. Women's National Team equally, eliminating a contentious pay gap that saw female players earning less.

The new collective bargaining agreements will run through 2028 and include the "equalization" of World Cup prize money, the organization announced.

In February, the governing body and the women's team announced a settlement to resolve the longstanding pay dispute, with the federation agreeing to pay the two teams equally in the next union contract and give the women's team $22 million in back pay.

Becky Sauerbrunn, a player on the women's team and president of the United States Women's National Team Players Association, said achieving equal pay was the result of gains players had made both on and off the field.

"We hope that this Agreement and its historic achievements in not only providing for equal pay but also in improving the training and playing environment for national team players will similarly serve as the foundation for continued growth of women's soccer both in the United States and abroad," Sauerbrunn said.
:snippity:
https://www.npr.org/2022/05/18/10996977 ... ment-women
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bunny:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Suranis wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:52 pm Welcome to Women's sports. I love Women's Rugby but becasue they don't have the build of ballerinas with big tits and don't have 98% Skin exposure, no-one cares. And shockingly when they accidentally put it on TV it gets a massive audience.

But in Beach Vollyball they have to wear bikinis...
I am a volleyball fan, I used to play myself. I was better than average, a deadly server, a pretty good setter, pretty good digger, lousy blocker, lousier spiker (I'm short, OK? its not my fault), But I once had the chance to stand up as cannon fodder against the US Olympic team during a training session.

Anyway, I love women's volleyball both indoor and beach. I also like looking at athletic women in bikinis. Put the two together and I'm good. Really I am.

But I have always disagreed that women volleyballers (and beach handball too!) should be FORCED to wear bikinis. In the past, they have been fined and barred from play for not wearing a bikini - and that is just plain WRONG. Athletes should wear the uniform that is most comfortable for them in their competition (all athletes not just volleyballers), not what some TV exec thinks is going to draw the male gaze.

You'll be happy to know that the IVF changed its rule ahead of the 2020 Olympics to allow athletes to wear whatever uniform made them comfortable. So while many, perhaps most, women continue to wear bikinis, they can wear shorts, tank tops, ballerina tutu's (well maybe not), or whatever they choose.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I became friends with a woman volleyball player when I was in my first year of law school at USC, and I'd go watch her games. I couldn't believe what I saw. I thought I knew how to play volleyball. What those ladies were doing was a whole different game, so exciting, so athletic, so amazing. If Keith was a good player, that means he is a HELL of an athlete.

And the last sports event I watched from beginning to end on the Tee Vee was the 1999 World Cup, when the US Women's National Soccer Team defeated China. I don't watch sports much today. :blackeye:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

You should watch Women's Rugby sometime. They go in harder than any guy.
Hic sunt dracones
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

I've been a fan of the USWNT since before 1999. My youngest daughter played soccer (goalie :eek:) and that's when I started watching our ladies play. This year I'm watching many the National Women's Soccer League games on Paramount Plus. They have tons of talent including international players. Women's professional soccer in the U.S. has had it's ups and downs, but I think the NWSL is here to stay thanks to the continued success of the USWNT and international women's soccer in general. USA! USA! USA!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 6:38 am I became friends with a woman volleyball player when I was in my first year of law school at USC, and I'd go watch her games. I couldn't believe what I saw. I thought I knew how to play volleyball. What those ladies were doing was a whole different game, so exciting, so athletic, so amazing. If Keith was a good player, that means he is a HELL of an athlete.

And the last sports event I watched from beginning to end on the Tee Vee was the 1999 World Cup, when the US Women's National Soccer Team defeated China. I don't watch sports much today. :blackeye:
No, thats way over stating it. 'Good' is many, many levels below 'helluva'.
Has everybody heard about the bird?

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”