Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
humblescribe
Verified:

Re: Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Post by humblescribe »

keith wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:45 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:33 pm

Hablan ustedes espanol?
Muy pocito, y muy mal
Muy poquito, amigo mío.

El adjectivo es poco, así el diminutivo será poquito.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

humblescribe wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:39 pm
keith wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:45 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:33 pm

Hablan ustedes espanol?
Muy pocito, y muy mal
Muy poquito, amigo mío.

El adjectivo es poco, así el diminutivo será poquito.
Oops.

I toldja I was bad at it, and I was on my tablet
Has everybody heard about the bird?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Internet Winner of the Day.

Possible Internet Winner of the Year.

chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

:like:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rap ... 34342.html
Rape Victims Should Be Forced to Have Rapist’s Baby, GOP Gov. Openly States

If Roe v. Wade is overturned by the Supreme Court, Nebraska Governor Pete Ricketts wants to ban abortion in his state, and he wants that ban to apply to victims of rape.

When are they going to change our gender status from Female to Incubator?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:29 pm https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rap ... 34342.html

If Roe v. Wade is overturned by the Supreme Court, Nebraska Governor Pete Ricketts wants to ban abortion in his state, and he wants that ban to apply to victims of rape.

When are they going to change our gender status from Female to Incubator?
That’s unofficial. What happens when you are past incubator?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Then we obviously have no further purpose.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Fuck you Pete Ricketts you fucking piece of shit.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:29 pm

I have such mixed feelings about this... none of them good, but a mix at least.

The thing that unsettles me is that this is a morally self consistent stance, but a politically difficult one. If your claim is that a fetus is a person, then rape/incest exemptions do not make moral sense since you are saying it is ok to kill a fetus depending on how it was conceived, at which point you might as well add in things like 'out of wedlock'.

So publicly enforcing this viewpoint is a signal that they feel they are in a strong enough position to not need coalition building or compromise... and that is terrifying.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I believe a woman should be able to get an abortion prior to viability if she wants one, but my heart goes out to women and girls who have been raped. The rape is traumatic enough, but then be forced to carry that trauma, see it in the mirror every day, explaining the bulging belly to fellow workers, or worse, middle schoolers. And that's not to mention all the aches and pains in pregnancy, then downright agony giving birth, and (some) people think her feelings don't matter? There will be suicides over this and these rat bastards don't give a shit. Hell, they don't give a shit what happens after the birth. Not their problem.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:34 pm :snippity: There will be suicides over this and these rat bastards don't give a shit. Hell, they don't give a shit what happens after the birth. Not their problem.
:yeahthat:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Ben Franklin Put an Abortion Recipe in His Math Textbook

In this week’s leaked draft of a Supreme Court opinion overturning Roe v. Wade, Justice Samuel Alito wrote, “The inescapable conclusion is that a right to abortion is not deeply rooted in the Nation’s history and traditions.” Yet abortion was so “deeply rooted” in colonial America that one of our nation’s most influential architects went out of his way to insert it into the most widely and enduringly read and reprinted math textbook of the colonial Americas—and he received so little pushback or outcry for the inclusion that historians have barely noticed it is there. Abortion was simply a part of life, as much as reading, writing, and arithmetic.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

neeneko wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:08 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:29 pm

I have such mixed feelings about this... none of them good, but a mix at least.

The thing that unsettles me is that this is a morally self consistent stance, but a politically difficult one. If your claim is that a fetus is a person, then rape/incest exemptions do not make moral sense since you are saying it is ok to kill a fetus depending on how it was conceived, at which point you might as well add in things like 'out of wedlock'.

So publicly enforcing this viewpoint is a signal that they feel they are in a strong enough position to not need coalition building or compromise... and that is terrifying.
Except the law already recognizes various exceptions to homicide-related crimes that allow for the death of another party without it being a criminal offense. The law recognizes that certain deaths are either de jure or de facto allowable -- self-defense/castle doctrine/stand your ground matters allow killing the offender; cops only literally do not get away with murder more often than not because the law defines it as not-murder when they do it, even if they fucked up doing it; and if I take sufficient precations to ensure that there's nobody in my house (for example) before fumigating it, I would never be charged if some random person decided that was the day they were going to break into my basement for a nap and were poisoned and/or asphyxiated.

I bring up the last because I foresee a lot of 'accidental' miscarriages in the days ahead where 'oops, I didn't even know I was pregnant and you can't prove otherwise' is going to be the hard line.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Good news for Michiganders (and neighboring states Indiana): a judge just issued a preliminary injuction against enforcement of our 1931 anti-abortion law - the same law that rendered my grandmother sterile when my uncle died in utero and she was forced to let his corpse rot for a week because she didn't immediately miscarry.
LANSING — A Michigan Court of Claims judge on Tuesday preemptively suspended enforcement of the state's 1931 abortion ban, which would have gone into effect if the U.S. Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade.

In a 25-page opinion issuing a preliminary injunction, Judge Elizabeth Gleicher wrote that if the landmark case that made abortion a federal right is overturned, Planned Parenthood of Michigan and their patients "face a serious danger of irreparable harm if prevented from accessing abortion services."

Anti-abortion groups may well challenge the injunction to the Michigan Court of Appeals. They had asked Gleicher to recuse herself because she has donated money to Planned Parenthood of Michigan and represented the abortion provider as a volunteer attorney for the ACLU in the 1990s.

In its suit, Planned Parenthood argues Michigan's 1931 abortion ban violates the due process and equal protection clauses of the Michigan Constitution, along with state civil rights laws. Gleicher has not yet ruled on those larger arguments, but said the injunction was warranted because Planned Parenthood has a "strong likelihood" of winning the case.
https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-gover ... m=facebook

There's still a long Roe to hoe, but it's a start!
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Yes, she's hawking a $2 study, but the summary is compelling.
Diana Foster @Dianagfoster wrote: Banning abortion will not dramatically increase the “domestic supply of infants” for adoption. It also won't have a big effect on birth rates. How do I know this? Because I led the Turnaway Study.
ansirh.org
The Turnaway Study
The Turnaway Study is ANSIRH’s prospective longitudinal study examining the effects of unwanted pregnancy on women’s lives. The major aim of the study is to describe the mental health, physical...

It's not because everyone will find a way to get an abortion anyway. Not at all. MANY people will carry unwanted pregnancies to term.

What we find is that when people can't get wanted abortions, they don't place the child for adoption.

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Adoption Decision Making among Women Seeking Abortion - PubMed
Among women motivated to avoid parenthood, as evidenced by abortion seeking, adoption is considered or chosen infrequently. Political promotion of adoption as an alternative to abortion is likely not...

That's because once someone has gone through the literally life-threatening process of staying pregnant and giving birth, 90% choose to parent the child.

And here's why banning abortion won't affect birth rates in the long run. When people are forced to have children before they are ready, they are less likely to have wanted pregnancies later under better circumstances.

sciencedirect.com
Intended pregnancy after receiving vs. being denied a wanted abortion
To understand how having or being denied an abortion affects the likelihood of trying to become pregnant, overall pregnancy rates, and the rate and ti…

Those better circumstances? They rarely happen. The Turnaway Study shows that when women can’t get abortions, they become poorer, they have lower quality romantic relationships and they are less able to achieve other aspirations.

Read all about our findings for $1.99 this week only
https://twitter.com/Dianagfoster/status ... 8458493952
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:rimshot:

jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Had a rather interesting conversation with my Dad last night. We normally don't talk politics, because he's rather Conservative and, well, I'm not. But last night he started by saying "I don't know what you think of this whole Roe Abortion thing..." and my first reaction was a facepalm and the decision to let him rant and end the call early. But nope. He surprised me.

My father, born in 1943, is almost militantly Pro-Choice. He doesn't think anyone (especially men) should be making laws about someone else's choice and that it is between the woman and her doctor. He even sent letters to the ND delegation about how he will never vote for them because of their stance on abortion. He included Pro-Choice stickers. :boxing:

Color me surprised.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My son-in-law's grandmother was a staunch Catholic. She had a friend in (a Catholic) high school who died from a botched abortion. She was as strong as a pro-choice Catholic as was possible.

I have a cousin who is very anti-abortion. Her first pregnancy was ectopic. I'm sure she is rejoicing about the upcoming decision. Under it, she would likely be dead.

I have a friend whose daughter recently had to have an abortion. The fetus had a condition that would have killed it and its mother. She's also a staunch Catholic, but had she not had the abortion, she would have left a three-year-old born three months premature with ongoing heart problems and other problems related to her premature birth. She has had three pregnancies in the last four years that have nearly killed her, including the premature birth, a miscarriage a few months later where she almost bled out, and the fetus that had to be aborted. The pregnancy that had to be aborted was the only one that didn't come close to killing her.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

Talk about "the domestic supply of infants" means someone is unhappy that more children aren't being abandoned; someone is complaining that more and more children are wanted children.

In thew meantime there are many thousand youngsters - not newborns - in orphanages and foster care who are in need of adoption and not being adopted.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Fortinbras wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:10 am Talk about "the domestic supply of infants" means someone is unhappy that more children aren't being abandoned; someone is complaining that more and more children are wanted children.
Well, christian adoption agencies have been pretty upset that they are incredibly being banned from various countries, so it would not surprise me if they are indeed upset about the state of the domestic supply. I imagine Barrett brought that up in discussion...
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

In the old days, (mid 20th century) it was assumed these fallen angels would give the baby up for adoption and hide their shame for the rest of their life. Many didn't want to give the baby up, they were forced by family, the father or society at large.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Dang, I should have saved the link. I saw a link on Twitter yesterday to an article about a study on abortions. The tweets discussing the article pointed out that attitudes have changed and that nowadays it’s much rarer for a mother to give up a baby when denied an abortion. Also, forcing women to proceed with pregnancies does not significantly increase the number of children born. It just ends up with women having their children while younger and poorer.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

The phrase you use when humans are just another commodity :mad:
“the domestic supply of infants”

Return to “Current Politics”