Biology

Sam the Centipede

Re: Biology

Post by Sam the Centipede »

And, of course, it's a double dose of not being listened to for Black or other not white women.

With regard to the heart attack issue, there was conjecture when it was touched on in Old Fogbow that women present differently to men due to differences in vasculature and women's symptoms can be more subtle. I don't know if anything came of that or whether it was a load of procrustean hooey to explain away the misogynistic effect.
Off Topic
Caroline Criado-Perez's book Invisible Women is an interesting read, exploring les obvious ways in which the would is organized and calibrated for men. It's a while since I read it so I can't remember whether she discusses these medical diagnostic issues.
Good wishes to all on ameliorating their chronic conditions.

Lani

Post by Lani »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:42 pm
I remember this story. Everyone should read it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... sm/410515/
Excellent article, even though it triggered me.

And that's why I'm so happy with the women doctors who are now helping me. The lead doc read my medical records and knew immediately I had covid. She lined up a bunch of women doctors to check out everything possible and provide rehabilitation. :lovestruck:

PS: Not saying that all women doctors are better than the men. In the article I mentioned, A good percent of women doctors also don't listen to their female patients and take them seriously. However, it's a lot less than the men.

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Lani wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:15 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:42 pm
I remember this story. Everyone should read it.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... sm/410515/
Excellent article, even though it triggered me.
Sorry. :bag:

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Fibromyalgia: there is an article in the current (May 14th) issue of New Scientist about fascia tissue, the fascia being the membranes that hold our bits together. It apparently is under-researched, barely acknowledged as little more than an inconvenience when dissecting dead bodies or performing surgery on live bodies. Rather like the gut-brain axis, it appears to have metaphorical fingers in unexpected pies. The article mentions possible involvement in fibromyalgia and other of those messy, difficult to treat, disorders, such as back pain.

I haven't read the article properly (I'm not especially interested in the topic!), and there might be nothing there, but I thought I'd flag it up in case anybody who is more curious would like to follow it up.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thanks, Sam!!!!!!!! Fascia is well known to those who have earned medals of bravery in dealing with fibromyalgia! I look forward to reading this article!

ETA: This classic was published in 1998. Fibromyalgia and Chronic MyofascialPain: A Survival Manual 2nd Edition
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/fibromyal ... on=2519261

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Science”