Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Costa Rica

AndyinPA
Verified:

Costa Rica

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-in ... t/2969825/
A ransomware gang that infiltrated some Costa Rican government computer systems has upped its threat, saying its goal is now to overthrow the government.

Perhaps seizing on the fact that President Rodrigo Chaves had only been in office for a week, the Russian-speaking Conti gang tried to increase the pressure to pay a ransom by raising its demand to $20 million.

Chaves suggested Monday in a news conference that the attack was coming from inside as well as outside Costa Rica.
Costa Rica is, literally, the last country I would expect to be dealing with this.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: Costa Rica

Post by Slim Cognito »

Costa Rica has been on my escape plan list for years.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

I know quite a few people who've opted for Belize, FWIW.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Costa Rica was our escape plan, too--until real, not envisioned, grandkids came along. It's got its issues, but it does a lot right.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

I have been here for 5 years, Costa Rica. As I tell friends it's not nirvana, because I can't afford nirvana. Now, I get to do the same things here (shopping, banking, dealing with government, etc) but now it's in spanish. But the weather is delightful, the people warm and friendly. Hardest to get used to is "pura vida" which can range from thank you to you have f*ked up. And procrastination is a lost art here. Nothing happens very quickly ...they use the decision by attrition model. (So no one will notice if their is a hostile takeover by some loons) But, I can watch the circus of the US and Canada, too (many Canadian friends here).
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Fiascoist wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:04 pm I have been here for 5 years, Costa Rica. As I tell friends it's not nirvana, because I can't afford nirvana. Now, I get to do the same things here (shopping, banking, dealing with government, etc) but now it's in spanish. But the weather is delightful, the people warm and friendly. Hardest to get used to is "pura vida" which can range from thank you to you have f*ked up. And procrastination is a lost art here. Nothing happens very quickly ...they use the decision by attrition model. (So no one will notice if their is a hostile takeover by some loons) But, I can watch the circus of the US and Canada, too (many Canadian friends here).
I lived in CR for several years before heading to Panama and then Patagonia. It was a lovely place back then. We had a home in Manuel Antonio, overlooking the Pacific. Year three and getting a seat on a bus was impossible during tourist season (Manuel Antonio to Quepos). I love the people. They also indicted two former presidents,and arrested them, quite publicly! It's a wonderful place. Got too crowded where we lived and the tourist and expats exploded prices and real estate. But the citizens seem to let it all roll.

Pura Vida, man.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”