Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Food but not recipes

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by AndyinPA »

One of my absolute favorite pies! :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Her first, she got tired of the ones we buy in Sunset Beach on our annual vacation. Those are expensive and she didn't want to wait until July for her next key lime pie.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Tea eggs... I have never had them before. I'm in love. :lovestruck:
101010 :towel:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

beware your teeth - on the Old Continent the other kind of "tea egg"
► Show Spoiler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

northland10 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:54 pm Tea eggs... I have never had them before. I'm in love. :lovestruck:
Never had one myself. I must seek them out.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

jez wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:36 pm I made salmon for the first time ever, and it's the first time I've eaten any in years. But, need to switch up the diet to something more anti-inflammatory, which means less mammal meat and more fish. Going pretty much pescatarian, it seems. :)

The salmon turned out very very yummy. Flaky, moist, flavorful, and freaking easy to make! Foil packets for the win!
BBQ is the only way to go. Get a nice piece with the skin on, lightly coat with olive oil. Use the solid plate on the BBQ on HOT. Start with the skin side and get it nice and crispy. Then brown on the other sides until cooked through.

This is not a recipe. This is a method.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:40 pm Yeah, I've been told everything from rattlesnake to guinea pigs tasted like chicken. They don't.
The thing is that chicken tastes like rattlesnake.

Which is not much taste at all.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

8 weeks! :eek:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

They need first to restock their own warehouses so that wholesale delivery to the foodchains can be done equally.

Moms ought to learn how to scrub the carrots and make puree again.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

They said on the news at noon here today that after six months of age, a baby can be given up to 24 ounces of cow's milk a day. Didn't catch who was recommending.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
tek

Post by tek »

pretty sure carrots aren't a milk substitute for infants, but IANAP
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Did i miss something? Only milk replacement gone sour? Or all baby foods?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:47 pm They said on the news at noon here today that after six months of age, a baby can be given up to 24 ounces of cow's milk a day. Didn't catch who was recommending.
American Academy of Pediatrics.
https://www.wsaz.com/2022/05/16/babies- ... perts-say/
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:55 pm Did i miss something? Only milk replacement gone sour? Or all baby foods?
Up until about 6 months of age, infants are usually only on formula, and a combination of formula and food until about a year old. A baby under 6 months old would be malnourished without formula or breast milk due to the lack of vitamins and stuff in the formula that pureed carrots and other foods don't have. Infants also don't have the muscle control to eat food until about 4 months at the earliest.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:42 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:47 pm They said on the news at noon here today that after six months of age, a baby can be given up to 24 ounces of cow's milk a day. Didn't catch who was recommending.
American Academy of Pediatrics.
https://www.wsaz.com/2022/05/16/babies- ... perts-say/
Thank you! I never dealt with formula.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 12:36 pm They need first to restock their own warehouses so that wholesale delivery to the foodchains can be done equally.

Moms ought to learn how to scrub the carrots and make puree again.
:? Maybe that was snark.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:15 pm https:// twitter.com/AP/status/1527049509926223873
BREAKING: President Biden invoked the Defense Production Act to speed production of infant formula and authorized flights to import supply from overseas. The domestic shortage was caused by the closure of the country's largest formula manufacturing plant.
apnews.com
Biden invokes Defense Production Act for formula shortage
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Joe Biden on Wednesday invoked the Defense Production Act to speed production of infant formula and authorized flights to import supply from overseas, as he faces
:think: how does this help speed up production? There is only a single plant getting back in action with the nod of the FDA. Procedures cannot be forced to be faster without endangering food safety. One cannot throw more people at a automated plant. Does the act allow for otherwise limited imports, circumventing FDA product approval? Rather late at this stage and foreign resources will be limited as they never intended to produce for the US market.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Nearly 200 Republicans vote against bill to ease baby formula shortage

By Eugene Scott and Felicia Sonmez
Updated May 19, 2022 at 3:44 p.m. EDT|Published May 19, 2022 at 2:07 p.m. EDT

House GOP leaders were among the 192 Republicans who voted against providing $28 million in aid to the Food and Drug Administration to address the shortage of baby formula — within days of criticizing President Biden for not doing enough on the issue.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (Calif.), Whip Steve Scalise (La.) and Conference Chair Elise Stefanik (N.Y.) voted late Wednesday against the measure to provide new FDA funding, which the House approved on a largely party-line vote of 231 to 192. Twelve Republicans broke ranks and joined with Democrats in backing the money.

On a separate bill, the House voted Wednesday overwhelmingly to ease the burden on low-income parents by allowing the federal Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program — a major national purchaser of formula — to source it from more foreign suppliers. The vote was 414 to 9 with all the opposition coming from Republicans. The Senate approved the legislation Thursday by voice vote. It now heads to Biden, who will sign it into law.

In recent days, Republicans have assailed Biden and the administration about the nationwide shortage that has forced parents to scramble to find formula to feed their infants. On Wednesday, Biden invoked the Defense Production Act to address the issue, tapping a Korean War-era law to ramp up domestic manufacturing rapidly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... y-formula/
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

I have not been following the war tightly, but these days picked up a news item that Ukrainian produce stocks got pilfered and ended up in Syria, not the regular customers.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

NOT your family size

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That was interesting. They look very well fed!

Return to “General Stuff”