Gun Control

Dave from down under

Re: Gun Control

Post by Dave from down under »

According to

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... arm-survey

Privately owned firearms are stolen in America with alarming frequency: between 300,000 and 600,000 every year, according to a new survey of gun ownership by researchers at Harvard and Northeastern universities.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I am sure there is a simple explanation for that. Scarcity of steel on the global markets... Just look where your car catalysator disappears to...

:twisted:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:38 pm
I saw Crocodile Dundee where some city mongrels in the outback hunting roos – or was it drop bears? 8-) – from the back of a ute were ambushed by a roo packing some serious firepower. Those drongos scarpered when the roo shot out the lights on the ute. Crocodile Dundee was a documentary, wasn't it?
Of course! It was also the inspiration for my favorite fishing technique in Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dave from down under

I’m guessing that it was an upward trend - regardless of COVID.

Though having people at home longer with guns probably does increase the likelihood hood that they will use the 2A remedy to any situation
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Dave from down under wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:17 pm I’m guessing that it was an upward trend - regardless of COVID.

Though having people at home longer with guns probably does increase the likelihood hood that they will use the 2A remedy to any situation
Yep, from 2014 on there was a sharp increase in the firearm homicide rate. 2013 saw the lowest rate since at least 1968 (data didn't go any further back than that).
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:38 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:29 pm
Dave from down under wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:16 pm Not a common thing down here…

I can’t think why…

:whistle:
It's 'cause y'all ride kangaroos around instead of cars and the roos viciously protect their gun pouches, isn't it?
I saw Crocodile Dundee where some city mongrels in the outback hunting roos – or was it drop bears? 8-) – from the back of a ute were ambushed by a roo packing some serious firepower. Those drongos scarpered when the roo shot out the lights on the ute. Crocodile Dundee was a documentary, wasn't it?
Roo ambushes aint nothing compared tho Wallaby ambushes.

The effing Yellowfooted Rock Wallaby attacks cars just for fun.

J mean tnere you minding you own business going a mere 25 or 30 klicks over the limit when one of the fkrs charges at you and then when you stand on the brakes like you've never stood on your brakes before the attacker dissapears into thin air. And this is in broad daylight, not dusk or after dark.

Then you just have to sit there while you body relearns how function again.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Dave from down under

:eek:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

I don't know, but my buddy who was stationed in Australia for 3 years says the most terrifying thing is being confronted by an Emu while on foot...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:27 pm I don't know, but my buddy who was stationed in Australia for 3 years says the most terrifying thing is being confronted by an Emu while on foot...
Was he buying insurance?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I love those LIMU Emu commercials. The helicopter one and the new wedding one are a riot. Will I buy yhe insurance? NO. Bad political contributions.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Houston-area company says Biden Administration's 'ghost gun' policy will put them out of business
Gabrielle Banks, St. John Barned-Smith, Staff writers
May 10, 2022 Updated: May 11, 2022 10:43 a.m.

A Houston area gun parts manufacturer is facing off against the Justice Department and the ATF this week in one of the first lawsuits in the country challenging what it says is an unlawful Biden administration policy that stripped the company of its livelihood in violation of the Second Amendment.

The legal team behind the federal lawsuit includes Michael Sullivan, a former acting director of the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, who served under President George W. Bush. It targets Attorney General Merrick Garland and the current head of ATF on behalf of Division 80, a company in Galveston County that makes gun kits, and just registered as a limited liability company in November. The plaintiff doesn’t appear to have a website, an address or any trappings of a business.

Manufacturers make gun parts known as “80 percenters,” “lower receivers,” or “receiver blanks” that customers can purchase to assemble their own firearms. They come in kits that shipped to gun stores across the country are sometimes called as “ghost guns” because it’s difficult for law enforcement to trace their origins. The businesses that make these parts are not regulated by the ATF and do not require a federal firearms license to sell them as do gun stores.

Sullivan, who lives in Boston, and Austin-based co-counsel Cory Liu, who previously worked as assistant general counsel to Gov. Greg Abbott and as a law clerk to Sen. Ted Cruz, said in a joint statement the aim of this suit is “to prevent the Biden Administration from politically weaponizing the ATF and adopting an unlawful (regulation, know as the) Final Rule without Congress’s approval.” The company thinks the new regulation “unlawfully seeks to put law-abiding American companies like Division 80 out of business.”

President Joe Biden had promised on the campaign trail and in subsequent statements that the White House would push Congress to close the loophole that allows the sale of the kits. But in his first year and a half in office, no such law has passed.

The lawsuit highlights what the company sees as the White House’s backdoor solution to this policy conundrum — businesses like Division 80 were forced by the Biden’s Justice Department and ATF to heed a revised federal regulation that limits their rights. The company says this new rule “unlawfully rewrites federal law and repudiates ATF’s longstanding legal position on receiver blanks.”

Businesses were forced to comply with the new mandate that the former classifications of these parts are no longer “valid or authoritative,” despite the fact that no law prevents them from operating, the company says.

“Frustrated with the constitutional process of bicameralism and presentment, President Biden politically pressured (the Justice Department and ATF) to take unilateral executive action to accomplish his failed policy agenda,” the suit says.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 162341.php
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Let's talk about "grooming".

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

That one of Massie is a photoshop, original under the spoiler.
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Massie is, just by coincidence, the Representative of the district that includes part of Argillite. My cousins and I are trying to figure out which one of us should run against him. :lol:

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

A1C7A6FC-4BE5-4BBE-AD9C-F782B581ACB2.jpeg
A1C7A6FC-4BE5-4BBE-AD9C-F782B581ACB2.jpeg (79.98 KiB) Viewed 393 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:21 pm
Houston-area company says Biden Administration's 'ghost gun' policy will put them out of business
Gabrielle Banks, St. John Barned-Smith, Staff writers
May 10, 2022 Updated: May 11, 2022 10:43 a.m.

A Houston area gun parts manufacturer is facing off against the Justice Department and the ATF this week in one of the first lawsuits in the country challenging what it says is an unlawful Biden administration policy that stripped the company of its livelihood in violation of the Second Amendment.

The legal team behind the federal lawsuit includes Michael Sullivan, a former acting director of the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, who served under President George W. Bush. It targets Attorney General Merrick Garland and the current head of ATF on behalf of Division 80, a company in Galveston County that makes gun kits, and just registered as a limited liability company in November. The plaintiff doesn’t appear to have a website, an address or any trappings of a business.

Manufacturers make gun parts known as “80 percenters,” “lower receivers,” or “receiver blanks” that customers can purchase to assemble their own firearms. They come in kits that shipped to gun stores across the country are sometimes called as “ghost guns” because it’s difficult for law enforcement to trace their origins. The businesses that make these parts are not regulated by the ATF and do not require a federal firearms license to sell them as do gun stores.

Sullivan, who lives in Boston, and Austin-based co-counsel Cory Liu, who previously worked as assistant general counsel to Gov. Greg Abbott and as a law clerk to Sen. Ted Cruz, said in a joint statement the aim of this suit is “to prevent the Biden Administration from politically weaponizing the ATF and adopting an unlawful (regulation, know as the) Final Rule without Congress’s approval.” The company thinks the new regulation “unlawfully seeks to put law-abiding American companies like Division 80 out of business.”

President Joe Biden had promised on the campaign trail and in subsequent statements that the White House would push Congress to close the loophole that allows the sale of the kits. But in his first year and a half in office, no such law has passed.

The lawsuit highlights what the company sees as the White House’s backdoor solution to this policy conundrum — businesses like Division 80 were forced by the Biden’s Justice Department and ATF to heed a revised federal regulation that limits their rights. The company says this new rule “unlawfully rewrites federal law and repudiates ATF’s longstanding legal position on receiver blanks.”

Businesses were forced to comply with the new mandate that the former classifications of these parts are no longer “valid or authoritative,” despite the fact that no law prevents them from operating, the company says.

“Frustrated with the constitutional process of bicameralism and presentment, President Biden politically pressured (the Justice Department and ATF) to take unilateral executive action to accomplish his failed policy agenda,” the suit says.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 162341.php
Berlin-area company says new 1945 law banning gas chambers will put them out of business.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Thought it might be worthwhile posting the link to Stonekettle’s suggestions for an initial approach to gun control:

https://www.stonekettle.com/2015/06/ban ... anity.html

…and in a lighter vein, Stephen Colbert:

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

raison-

Thank you for the poem. I have spread it far and wide.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

We need some Chris Rock wisdom here. Goddam, every sentence of this is solid gold.

Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

This is pretty good and deals with.. familiar arguments.

Hic sunt dracones
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Texas School Shooting: Senator Ted Cruz challenged on gun reform
May 26, 2022 Senator Ted Cruz brushes off questions from a Sky Correspondent about gun control reform at a vigil held to mourn the 21 people killed in a mass shooting at a primary school in Texas.

Mr Cruz was there with the state's Governor Greg Abbott, as well as other Republican politicians who have blocked Democratic attempts to change gun laws.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”