Marches and Rallies - 2022

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
p0rtia

Marches and Rallies - 2022

Post by p0rtia »

Women's March - May 14 2022 - Roe Rally

Went to the women's march today in Ft. Myers. I'm not good at judging crowds--could have been 300, could have been 500. We lined MLK Blvd and waved signs, chanted, and encouraged cars to honk their horns for two hours.

My first march/rally since COVID, and boy was it good for the soul.

Asshole with a bull horn spouting hell fury as usual, but also six or eight Proud Boys present. That was a first for me. They strutted around and assumed threatening postures and hurled obscenities to anyone who looked at them cross-eyed or engaged with them (which many did).

It turns out that post-democracy I care less about personal harm than I used to. A realization that came to me when I found myself singing doggerel at them along the lines of "Poor boys, poor boys, what can we do with the pooooor boys!" I might also have said, in my booming voice. "Hey you seditious insurrectionists! Who let you out of jail?"

As I was touring, I came upon one of the Poor Boyz barking shit at a protester, so I stood just behind him and made talk-to-the-hand gestures every time he spoke. God that was fun. Got the white hats hooting with glee. So the four or five boyz behind me turned their attention, such as it was, on me (NB, what is the significance of being called a "hole"? Don't answer, I got it.)

So I laughed and walked away, but they started following me in single file, grunting shit. So I pretending to be playing a pipe and started jigging down the sidewalk with them following. Working out a LOT of bottled up anger, there. They must have gotten the Pied Piper imagery, because they melted away.

Seriously, this is NOT me, historically. I mean, I might think of behaving in such a way in my head, but not do it.

The Poor Boyz were staked out at the entrance to the parking lot after the rally, so everyone had to pass by them. I started singing Swing Low, Sweet Chariot (I have no idea why) with altered lyrics as I wandered slowly through their little gauntlet. I don't even remember what I sang, but I'm sure it brilliant mockery.

My only regret is not saying "Aren't you supposed to be in a truck circling DC?" I thought of that later.

I have an album of pix on Google Photos I want to share. I've forgotten how to link to the album, but will work on in below. Or some kind soul will remind me.

Excelsior!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Marches and Rallies - 2022

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

First try to link album. And a couple sample piccies!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kJgQCDX9GTmTmxie6

Don't mess with with women who grew up in the Sixties....
Coat hanger.jpg
Coat hanger.jpg (137.11 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Statue of Liberty was the wrong person to try to intimidate, Rat-face.
Attachments
Liberty v Poor Boy.jpg
Liberty v Poor Boy.jpg (106.96 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

p0rtia wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:15 pm Women's March - May 14 2022 - Roe Rally

:clap:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

p0rtia wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:15 pm Women's March - May 14 2022 - Roe Rally

Excelsior!
I award you a Brass Figlagee with bronze oak leaf palm for doing that! :thumbsup: :bighug:
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

Fantastic, I’m glad you had a good experience. I live in “Little Beirut” aka Portland where we seem to protest everything. :biggrin: A rousing protest def can do the soul some good. Keep it up!
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

There were three rallies in Las Vegas today. This is my probably favorite photo out of all that were shared on twitter.
Attachments
Coochie Boss.JPG
Coochie Boss.JPG (64.5 KiB) Viewed 433 times
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Brava, p0rtia!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Notice no police were hurt.
U.S. Capitol Police
@CapitolPolice
Thank you to all of our sworn and civilian employees for keeping everyone safe during the demonstrations yesterday.

We appreciate you and all our law enforcement partners!

#NationalPoliceWeek
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Shouldn't they have given a shout-out to the peaceful protesters?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:26 pm Shouldn't they have given a shout-out to the peaceful protesters?
Yep.

Return to “Current Politics”