Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Starlink - Is anyone using it yet?

Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Starlink - Is anyone using it yet?

Post by Reality Check »

I am hoping we can get Starlink soon at our summer place in rural Colorado. Has anyone been able to sign up yet?

So far our place is not in a cell where it shows coverage is available so that means going on a wait list that could take a year. I had Hughesnet for 2 years and to say it sucks is an insult to sucking. I have read on some forums that you can jump the line by picking a service address where Starlink shows coverage and then getting the kit shipped to your real address. I would hate to do that and chance having a $600 kit that will not work.

Yes, I hate Elon Musk and his customer service stinks but it would be a game changer if we can get it.
Estiveo
Verified:

Re: Starlink - Is anyone using it yet?

Post by Estiveo »

I think Listeme & Verbie got it so you might give them a shout.
Image Image Image Image
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

You can find them on the other FB.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:37 pm You can find them on the other FB.
Thanks. I have see them there.
Chalan

Post by Chalan »

Sadly, I was inattentive to my email (35K unread and counting...) and MISSED the notice that I could now have Starlink - I only noticed it when my deposit was refunded - alas - perhaps NEXT year when my place in line comes up again, I will have it - for my RV.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

35K emails?!!

I think I'd just get a new address and start over. ;)
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

use a mail client that supports filters (like Mozilla Thunderbird) and separate known senders into separate subfolders. The Thunderbird one allows rules to be applied against the inbox, not only on freshly arriving mail, and can sort out valuable mail. Then the rest can be put into the round folder.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

but what about your car warranty?
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I have been neglectful and not updated my Starlink situation. Back in late May after two weeks of enduring miserable internet using my phone on ATT as a hot spot I decided to use a trick I had read about to try to get Starlink. I changed my service address to a random location about an hour away where the Starlink map should service was available. Voila! The order button popped up. I had the kit shipped to my real address.

Of all things a late May blizzard delayed FedEx a couple of days but it arrived finally. I set it up and Starlink determined I was not at my service address so I had to add roaming at $25 per month to activate the service. That worked and I had service in about 15 minutes.

I won't go into a lengthy review here but speeds range from over 200 MB download down to 20-30 MB during peak times in the evening. Upload speeds also vary but are anywhere from 5 MB to 15 MB. I do not have an ideal location for DIshy since several large ponderosa pine trees are obstructing the northern view where the dish needs to see. However, I stream YouTube TV and other services almost flawlessly. I use WiFi calling for phone and have used Facetime video a few times. I average 2 - 3 minutes total outage time in any given 12 hour period according to the Starlink app

I eventually changed my service address to here and dropped the roaming charge. They never actually billed me for the week or so that I used it. Last month I checked the Starlink map and they have actually changed my cell to available over the summer.

There is just no comparison to Hughesnet, which I had until last fall. We could not stream or use any VOIP service much less video calling on Hughesnet. I expect Starlink to only get better over time as more of the new satellites are launched.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Chalan wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:57 pm Sadly, I was inattentive to my email (35K unread and counting...) and MISSED the notice that I could now have Starlink - I only noticed it when my deposit was refunded - alas - perhaps NEXT year when my place in line comes up again, I will have it - for my RV.
My neighbor ordered RV service for their home and used it over the summer before our area showed it was available. They said it worked fine.

He uses it for a lot of Zoom calls and said it worked great compared to Viasat. He is staying with RV service since they are part timers like we are. I am considering converting to RV service since we will be gone 7 months and will not need it.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Not available in my area yet, but I’m signed up and paid the deposit. They’re saying 2023. Can’t wait. We’re using ATT hotspot now. It’s OK but not great.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Just a note: from viewing YT of (small) yacht owners it works well for them, even on the move at sea if in reception area. One signed up with their home marina base, then at the time used it outside of contract terms on the move. Had the original antenna DIY attached to the ship roof with slghtly altered fittings. I understand Skylink since introduced a mobile license.

Return to “Computers and Internet”