Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Impact of Technology and the Internet on Modern Warfare

humblescribe
Verified:

Re: Impact of Technology and the Internet on Modern Warfare

Post by humblescribe »

Notaperson wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:19 am
Volkonski wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:44 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:20 pm :snippity:
Just how the Confederates during the peninsula campaign used to make phony cannon out of tree trunks to intimidate General McLellan.
According to a documentary I saw a while back, the U.S. used a similar tactic when preparing to invade Germany in WW2. It involved inflatable tanks, IIRC.
Don't forget the Ruperts parachuting from the sky east of the Normandy beaches and north of the Seine.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Just how the Confederates during the peninsula campaign used to make phony cannon out of tree trunks to intimidate General McLellan.
According to a documentary I saw a while back, the U.S. used a similar tactic when preparing to invade Germany in WW2. It involved inflatable tanks, IIRC.
Yeah. Not just tanks, but planes too, and lots of other fake hardware, all on show to fool German spies. Bazillions of them. And all of them under George Patton's command.

Arguably the best General the Allies had, in charge of a giant ghost army. Eisenhower was a phuccing genius.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

keith wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:12 am Not just tanks, but planes too, and lots of other fake hardware, all on show to fool German spies. Bazillions of them. And all of them under George Patton's command.

Arguably the best General the Allies had, in charge of a giant ghost army. Eisenhower was a phuccing genius.
Not sure how correct this is (I'm no military historian) but I read/heard that fairly early in WW2 British intelligence determined that every German agent in Britain has been identified and turned, removed or used as a channel for false intelligence. It wasn't spies these tricks were aimed at but reconnaissance units and fighting units – the Brits had fake airfields for the German bombers and sometimes would light to attract bomb aimers away from the real targets.

The feints for the Normandy landings were impressive and (it seems) sacred significant Allied lives because German command to find to believe that the actual landings weren't the feint.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

They also deployed the mighty First United States Army Group under Patton in that operation. There was no actual unit but it was successful in making the Germans think that Patton was getting ready to invade Calais with them. Not sure if he slapped any soldiers in that group.
101010 :towel:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I am posting this here for a reason.

I'm wondering if there are computer controlled production / research systems involving flammable liquids at these facilities?

Is this (my order of likely hood)
1 - Internal Russian political discourse?
2 - high tech hacking sabotage?
3 - coinky-dink? (Or just general corruption)
4 - Old fashioned Kyiv Cocktail sabotage by spies?
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Here is one other fire

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

And the third

johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:50 am I am posting this here for a reason.

I'm wondering if there are computer controlled production / research systems involving flammable liquids at these facilities?

Is this (my order of likely hood)
1 - Internal Russian political discourse?
2 - high tech hacking sabotage?
3 - coinky-dink? (Or just general corruption)
4 - Old fashioned Kyiv Cocktail sabotage by spies?
While all these fires could be some combination of #1, #2 or #4, we should assume #3 (coincidence) until a very hard look at the data proves otherwise.

I looked up incidence of structure fires for non-residential buildings in the US. According to the National Fire Prevention Association (https://www.nfpa.org/News-and-Research/ ... Facilities), there are an average of 37,000 fires at industrial facilities in the US every year. They have separate categories for restaurants, office, and a bunch of other non-residential building types. If I took the time to total that, we'd probably come up with north of 50,000 non-residential building fires per year, or about 135 fires per day.

The US population of 330 million is 2.3x the Russian population of 144 million. Proportionally, we'd expect to see about 60 fires per day in Russia in non-residential structures. You could argue that we're more industrialized, but you could equally well argue that Russian fire codes and enforcement of them might be a little more ... flexible ... than in the West.

My take: incidence per million population is likely to be significantly higher in Russia, given what we've seen lately about Russian corruption and institutional incompetence. I'm sure lots of factory managers diverted the $$ for fire sprinklers to their Black Sea dacha fund, and merely paid small bribes to fire inspectors to certify non-existent fire sprinkler systems in their buildings.

We have a situation where people are on pins and needles and paying more attention to Russia than usual, so there's a filtering effect where Russian screw-ups are likely to be noticed in the West and amplified through social media and news networks much more than they normally would.

I'd certainly be cheering on Russian war opponents or Ukranian sabotage squads if that's what's actually happening, but I'd urge caution about assuming much until there are significantly more data points. This is like the thing about cancer clusters -- often they're just random (even for very rare cancers), though sometimes cancer clusters are indicative of a real problem. You have to be careful to restrain yourself from jumping to conclusions on too few data points. I don't know what the right number of data points would be for spectacular fires in Russia, but it's probably greater than three.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Another view

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/4 ... n-t-a-tank
Ukraine update: The most important vehicle on the battlefield isn't a tank

In a sea of tanks, armored personal carriers (APC), infantry fighting vehicles (IFV), armored fighting vehicles (AFV), Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) Vehicles, it can be easy to overlook the vehicles that are most often responsible for getting soldiers where they need to be on the battlefield—Infantry Mobility Vehicles. Also known as Jeeps.

Well, not actually Jeeps. But these are the vehicles that serve the role somewhere between Willy’s Jeeps and the 6×6 truck “Jimmy” trucks that were workhorses of U.S. forces in World War II. They get soldiers from bases to units a lot faster and more reliably than a lumbering APC. They deliver critical spare parts to where they’re needed. They patrol towns and villages behind the front lines. Depending on the level of armor and equipment, they can even become surprisingly involved in combat.

When Russia invaded, there were already a number of vehicles serving this role in Ukraine. That included the home grown Kozak-2 and Novator, and one that might be surprising—American Humvees.

When the U.S. announced it’s latest package of assistance, it included 200 more Humvees. This may have seemed like another of those “we’re only adding to the complexity of their supply chain” moments, but Ukraine already had about 350 Humvees playing various roles in their military. The reason that Humvees are showing up in some of the images of vehicles destroyed in Mariupol and eastern Ukraine is not because these are vehicles that rolled off the plane outside Lviv and somehow driven through Russian lines to reach the Azovstal plant. It’s because these are what Ukraine was using already.

It’s also one of their principle needs. Missiles, drones, planes, and tanks may all get more press, but IMVs are almost as central to a functional army as food and ammo. When you look at those videos of the Russian military rolling down the road, and see a huge variety of poorly-maintained, cobbled-together vehicles serving in this role, that’s one of the best signs that the Russian military has enormous issues. When it comes to an actual light armored infantry mobility vehicle, Russia has both tens of thousands and almost none. The GAZ Tigr and Iveco LMV theoretically fill this role, but the later has been quite a rare sighting in Ukraine. 80 GAZ Tigr are known dead.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Hacking Russia was off-limits. The Ukraine war made it a free-for-all.
... the third month of war finds Russia, not the United States, struggling under an unprecedented hacking wave that entwines government activity, political voluntarism and criminal action.

Digital assailants have plundered the country’s personal financial data, defaced websites and handed decades of government emails to anti-secrecy activists abroad. One recent survey showed more passwords and other sensitive data from Russia were dumped onto the open Web in March than information from any other country.

The published documents include a cache from a regional office of media regulator Roskomnadzor that revealed the topics its analysts were most concerned about on social media — including antimilitarism and drug legalization — and that it was filing reports to the FSB federal intelligence service, which has been arresting some who complain about government policies.

A separate hoard from VGTRK, or All-Russia State Television and Radio Broadcasting Co., exposed 20 years of emails from the state-owned media chain and is “a big one” in expected impact, said a researcher at cybersecurity firm Recorded Future who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss his work on dangerous hacking circles.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Spying.. always have been but easier remotely...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-02/ ... /101032206

Mobile phones belonging to Spain's Prime Minister and Defence Minister were infected with Pegasus spyware last year, Spanish officials have said.

Key points:
Spanish officials say the phones were targeted in May and June last year which resulted in a significant amount of data being obtained
Authorities have not disclosed who could be behind the attack
It comes as Spain's government is under pressure to explain why Pegasus infected the mobile phones of those linked to the Catalan separatist group
Chilidog

crowdstrike, starlink and the future

Post by Chilidog »

this is terrifying.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:09 pm ...
sims.jpg
sims.jpg (247.3 KiB) Viewed 714 times
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”