What Do You Hate About Owning A Motor Vehicle?

sugar magnolia

Re: What Do You Hate About Owning A Motor Vehicle?

Post by sugar magnolia »

John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:28 pm I am developing an intense dislike of all things automotive.

I've been trying since the middle of January to get a motor replaced in a Nissan Pathfinder. Between finding someone willing to do it, finding somebody willing to do it for less than 3 times the value of the thing, finding a replacement motor that has a useful warranty, finding a shipping company to get tje thing here to getting the shipping company to deliver the damn thing, I still don't have a running truck.

)#$(@#$)(@#&*$ &()Y!@#$!@#_)#()_#%)R@
I have a '95 Pathfinder that I've been trying to have the motor replaced in for almost a year now. We have found 3 but they were sold before we could get to them. I have a mechanic lined up to do the work, we just can't get our hands on the freaking engine.

Best vehicle, hands down, I've ever driven, and I'd happily drop the $2-3 grand to get it running again.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

You original mechanic is not interested in your $2500 motor that you discussed in Feb?
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:40 am
I have a '95 Pathfinder that I've been trying to have the motor replaced in for almost a year now. We have found 3 but they were sold before we could get to them. I have a mechanic lined up to do the work, we just can't get our hands on the freaking engine.

Best vehicle, hands down, I've ever driven, and I'd happily drop the $2-3 grand to get it running again.
If you cant get the goofy bastards to ship it, engines-transmission.com is not a bad place to look. 5 year warranty.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

bill_g wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:52 am You original mechanic is not interested in your $2500 motor that you discussed in Feb?
No, he wanted his engine because he could charge markup, quoted in writing $6,000.

Found one and a mechanic, but it still sits an hour away in a FedEx warehouse and FedEx customer support is ineffective.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

After 101 days I have a functional 2005 Nissan Pathfinder in my driveway.

Quoted costs from local shops were between $7,000-$11,000.

Actual cost was $3,480.

Skilled relatives are freakin' awesome!
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

I changed my battery the other day. it's one of those things you don't think about until you go to start the car and all it does is click, the dome light doesn't come on, and you have no radio.

Found the right battery, went and picked it up at Advanced Auto Parts (they loaned me the tools. So very nice of them.)

My battery is in the freaking trunk. :smoking: :crazy: :shock: Finally got it out and the new one in. Didn't shock myself, the car didn't blow up when I started it, and all is well. So far. :pray:
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

In the trunk?

6 years ago I bought a battery, cost me $70 for a name brand. Last year I went to buy one and the bloody thing was $130.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

jez wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:03 pm My battery is in the freaking trunk. :smoking: :crazy: :shock:
Back in the early 90's, my 1978 Audi (also known as my Ouchie) had the battery under the back seat. You had to remove the seat (though tools not required) to give it a jump start.

My current Jeep Grand Cherokee has the battery under the passenger seat. At least they have advanced. They provide a remote terminal in the engine compartment in case you need to give it a jump. I have not needed to jump start it.
101010 :towel:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

jez wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:03 pm I changed my battery the other day. it's one of those things you don't think about until you go to start the car and all it does is click, the dome light doesn't come on, and you have no radio.

Found the right battery, went and picked it up at Advanced Auto Parts (they loaned me the tools. So very nice of them.)

My battery is in the freaking trunk. :smoking: :crazy: :shock: Finally got it out and the new one in. Didn't shock myself, the car didn't blow up when I started it, and all is well. So far. :pray:
Well done Jez.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

northland10 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:25 am
jez wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:03 pm My battery is in the freaking trunk. :smoking: :crazy: :shock:
Back in the early 90's, my 1978 Audi (also known as my Ouchie) had the battery under the back seat. You had to remove the seat (though tools not required) to give it a jump start.

My current Jeep Grand Cherokee has the battery under the passenger seat. At least they have advanced. They provide a remote terminal in the engine compartment in case you need to give it a jump. I have not needed to jump start it.
Super common these days to have the battery tucked somewhere else out of the engine compartment entirely. Euro cars started it. Everyone else followed as it got more and more crowded around the motor. In the 50's there was room to raise kids under the hood. Now you're lucky to pass a strip of paper in there.

OTOH I am amazed at how easily our upfitting shop can disassemble and reassemble a vehicle destined to be a cop car / school bus / ambulance to add the required equipment.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

bill_g wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:55 am
jez wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:03 pm I changed my battery the other day. it's one of those things you don't think about until you go to start the car and all it does is click, the dome light doesn't come on, and you have no radio.

Well done Jez.
Thank you, Bill. :)

*bows*

There is also the remote terminals under the hood for jumping when necessary, so I don't have to take everything out of the trunk to do anything. Not much in there anyway. Had a bolt of fabric I forgot about, emergency kit, lighter-outlet electric blanket, and a couple of small odds and ends. So, chucked into the lowered backseat and done.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

All I can say is thank God for AAA. And a nearby dealership.
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

What do I hate about NOT owning a vehicle: emergencies.

W2 and I have Covid.

1. W2 came down with it first, mere hours before we were to board a bus to visit Verbalobe and Listeme. If we had gone up to FEMA #626, and subsequently become ill, how could we get home?

2. So we are miserable, no cough syrup. No car so can’t do curbside pickup. Had to do Instacart with a $35 minimum, 6.00 service charge, tip, and fuel surcharge.

3. W2 gets to have monoclonal antibodies tomorrow AM. Fortunately, there’s a medical taxi to take him both ways.

4. I’ll find out tomorrow if I can get a prescription for something. Getting it here is another hurdle.

I think this is why people have kids.
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Oh, W4.. So sorry to hear. Get well soon.

And very good points about vehicle needs. Some places you can almost do without and others, basically not.

In some communities/groups, there are folks ready to jump at a moment's notice. I remember at some point in the last few years an announcement in a community email blast (in this case a church community but others are similar). The people in need had stated they were just fine with dinners and such and so please stop bringing them.
101010 :towel:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

northland10 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:58 am Oh, W4.. So sorry to hear. Get well soon.

And very good points about vehicle needs. Some places you can almost do without and others, basically not.

In some communities/groups, there are folks ready to jump at a moment's notice. I remember at some point in the last few years an announcement in a community email blast (in this case a church community but others are similar). The people in need had stated they were just fine with dinners and such and so please stop bringing them.
We had to buy a freezer and rearrange the kitchen because we had so much food dropped off here when I was in the hospital.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

This Florida Man hates stick shift.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/fl ... uxbndlbing
Florida Ford GT Owner Crashes Because He's "Unfamiliar" With Manual Transmission

A Ford GT owner in Boca Raton, Florida crashed his recently purchased supercar into a tree Friday evening because he was "unfamiliar with how to drive stick shift," police say.

The driver, 50-year-old Robert J. Guarini, told police he lost control after downshifting while leaving his housing development at around 6 p.m. This led to a head-on collision with a palm tree. Guarini then told a nearby security worker that he did not have his phone and needed a ride back to his house, where he spoke to police via landline after leaving the vehicle unattended, police say.

Facebook user John Peddle's photos from the crash site show that the damage is limited to the front third of the car. The hit was substantial enough to trigger multiple airbags and disable the vehicle. It's unclear how fast Guarini was going when the crash occurred, but the GT slid far enough after hitting the tree that it blocked a nearby sidewalk.

The car was not registered or insured when the crash occurred. The listed VIN indicates that the car was purchased at a Barrett-Jackson auction in Palm Beach for $704,000 in early April, about the going price for a 2006 Heritage Edition GT. That would make replacement a very expensive endeavor.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:o an American in the wild without his phone :?:

more pictures:
https://fordauthority.com/2022/05/flori ... -purchase/

PS. Switzerland has two driver licenses. Automatic only, or handy work which also includes automaric after completing thee exams.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”