Coronavirus: Vaccines

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
RVInit

Re: Coronavirus: Vaccines

Post by RVInit »

From Lowe's corporate website:
8/2 UPDATE: The health and safety of our associates and customers continue to be our highest priority. Because of the increased cases of COVID-19 and the rapid spread of the delta variant, effective August 2, Lowe’s associates are required to wear masks indoors at all U.S. locations and while working in a customer’s home or business – regardless of vaccination status. Lowe’s will continue to abide by all state and local mask mandates. Stores will have signs encouraging customers to wear masks, and free masks will continue to be available for customers who request them.
"It actually doesn't take much to be considered a difficult woman. That's why there are so many of us."

--Jane Goodall
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

neonzx wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:41 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:17 pm
Sounds like BS. No HR dept would out such a statement.
That was my thought as well, but one can hope!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:41 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:17 pm
Sounds like BS. No HR dept would out such a statement.
John Deere has had a policy in place for decades that says if you take the flu vaccine and get the flu anyway, they pay all medical expenses and your time off for getting sick, however long it takes. If you don't get it and catch the flu, your time off is unpaid beyond any accrued leave you have at the time, and you only get what insurance covers for your medical costs. No reason other companies can't follow suit.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona

:bag:

And bummer.

At least the idea is floating around.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
filly

Post by filly »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... mised-fda/
Federal health officials are racing to ensure that millions of Americans with weakened immune systems can get additional shots of coronavirus vaccines to protect them against the highly contagious delta variant.

The actions could mean the extra shots would be authorized in days or weeks, according to federal officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the plan has not been announced.

The stepped-up activity reflects increased urgency by the Biden administration to shield some of the nation’s most vulnerable adults as coronavirus cases rise sharply. The pressure has grown as several countries have taken steps to get shots to people who are immunocompromised or older, and as some Americans pursue additional shots on their own.
I also saw, but can't remember where, that people over 65 might be getting a booster later in the year or early next year.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
filly

Post by filly »

I have thought about getting a third shot. I’ve heard some docs are already giving them to some patients.
tek

Post by tek »

ms.tek was just a shot while off chemo when she got her first 2-jab (moderna) vax.

her oncologist had her tested for 'spikes,' no response found. he said she needs to get another jab (J&J). It was difficult to get that third jab, because "not authorized by CDC or FDA".. but she finally found a doc-in-a-box who said "sure, doctor prescribed it, I'll do it" ..

She got her new spike results two days ago, very strong response.

And now this third-dose news.

Her onc was ahead of the curve on this.. she's happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

tek wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:12 pm ms.tek was just a shot while off chemo when she got her first 2-jab (moderna) vax.

her oncologist had her tested for 'spikes,' no response found. he said she needs to get another jab (J&J). It was difficult to get that third jab, because "not authorized by CDC or FDA".. but she finally found a doc-in-a-box who said "sure, doctor prescribed it, I'll do it" ..

She got her new spike results two days ago, very strong response.

And now this third-dose news.

Her onc was ahead of the curve on this.. she's happy.
:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... -vaccines/
The nation’s passenger railroad will require employees to be vaccinated against the coronavirus or submit to weekly testing, Amtrak announced Wednesday.

The company’s mandate will apply to its more than 18,000 employees.

“Because vaccines are the best way to protect ourselves, our families, and our customers, we have made some important decisions regarding Amtrak vaccination requirements,” William Flynn, Amtrak’s chief executive, wrote in a memo. “Many employees have shared reasons why they are apprehensive about getting the COVID-19 vaccine. We understand these concerns and encourage everyone to consult with a medical professional and seek out facts from reputable sources.”

Amtrak’s announcement comes amid a rise in coronavirus cases fueled by the more transmissible delta variant. The spike spurred the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to reverse recommendations on mask-wearing and advise that vaccinated people wear masks in indoor public settings in areas with high transmission.

Several major U.S. companies, including Google, Facebook and Walt Disney, have announced requirements for employees to be vaccinated.
I heard that three of the major US airlines will not require vaccination for their employees. From what I've read, both airplanes and train cars are safer than people assume, but I'd rather the employees of both were vaxxed.
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:30 pm I heard that three of the major US airlines will not require vaccination for their employees. From what I've read, both airplanes and train cars are safer than people assume, but I'd rather the employees of both were vaxxed.
As of now, I believe Southwest, American, and Delta are not requiring vax, but United is.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-vacci ... 57070.html
A new preprint study that raises concerns about the mRNA vaccines' effectiveness against Delta — particularly Pfizer's — has already grabbed the attention of top Biden administration officials.

What they're saying: The study found the Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against infection in July, when the Delta variant was dominant. "If that's not a wakeup call, I don't know what is," a senior Biden official told Axios.

Driving the news: The study, conducted by nference and the Mayo Clinic, compared the effectiveness of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines in the Mayo Clinic Health System over time from January to July.

Overall, it found that the Moderna vaccine was 86% effective against infection over the study period, and Pfizer's was 76%. Moderna's vaccine was 92% effective against hospitalization and Pfizer's was 85%.

But the vaccines' effectiveness against infection dropped sharply in July, when the Delta variant's prevalence in Minnesota had risen to over 70%.

Moderna was 76% effective against infection, and Pfizer was only 42% effective.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I had an appointment with my PA for my annual physical yesterday and she told me then that it looks like the Moderna vaccine is doing much better against the Delta variant. Mrs. Shizzle and I both have the Moderna vaccine. She also told me to stay home as much as possible and stay away from crowds. The trends they're seeing points to an emerging spike in cases of the Delta variant locally (south Indy) and we've been quiet for a while now. One of the local hospitals, which normally has plenty of capacity, ran out of room in the ICU three times last week.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

So, I'm ready for a booster shot. Just stick it in my arm!
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:45 pm But the vaccines' effectiveness against infection dropped sharply in July, when the Delta variant's prevalence in Minnesota had risen to over 70%.

Moderna was 76% effective against infection, and Pfizer was only 42% effective.
My sister-in-law got Covid earlier this year. I don't know if she's vaccinated yet. She was trying to find a site which gave the Pfizer vaccines. I think the Mayo Clinic was using Pfizer vaccines and that's who their health plan is with.

Back in December my doctor said "It doesn't matter which vaccine you get. Just get the first one you can." So I did. It happened to be Moderna. I guess I'm glad for that now.
Tim Walz’ Golden Rule: Mind your own damn business!
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Suranis wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:29 pm I'm still masking up, screw the idiots.
:yeahthat:

Federal health authorities are encouraging folks to upgrade to a very good mask. Because ... Delta.

Here's an excellent article about counterfeit N95, KN95, and KF95 masks and how to avoid them.

How to Buy a Real N95 Mask Online
A year into the coronavirus pandemic, buying a heavy-duty medical mask online remains downright maddening.
:snippity:

But these masks have been far from easy to buy on the internet. When the pandemic hit last year, they immediately became scarce as health care workers and governments rushed to obtain them. The demand was so intense that a gray market sprang up for them.

Yet even after supplies have improved, it is often not easy to find authentic N95s and KN95s online. That’s because there are few brand-name makers, so it can be hard to know which of the dozens of manufacturers are reliable. And counterfeiters continue to flood the market, even on trusted sites like Amazon.

The result is frequently frustration, when wearing a heavy-duty mask is more important than ever. Last week, federal health officials emphasized the need for all of us to have tightfitting masks because of new fast-spreading coronavirus variants.

“People don’t know what’s legit, and they don’t know which suppliers are legit,” said Anne Miller, an executive director of Project N95, a nonprofit that helps people buy protective coronavirus equipment. “We’ve had that issue since the very beginning of the pandemic.”

I recently spent hours comparing masks online and almost bought a pack of counterfeits on Amazon. Thankfully, I avoided falling into the trap and eventually found legitimate, high-quality masks from a trustworthy online retailer.

Along the way, I learned plenty about how to spot fraudulent mask listings and how to sidestep fake reviews. So here’s how to home in on real medical-grade masks that will keep you and your loved ones safe.

Pick a mask
My journey began on the website for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There I found charts of N95 and KN95 masks that the agency has tested, including the make, model number and filtration efficiency.

After some reading, I learned about the trade-offs between the two types of masks. The N95s typically have bands that strap over the back of your head, which is what makes them snug. They can be uncomfortable to wear for long periods.

The KN95s, which the Food and Drug Administration has approved for emergency use by health care workers, have ear loops for a tight fit that is slightly more comfortable than an N95. The downside is that the KN95 leaks a bit more air than an N95.

If you are often in high-risk areas like hospitals, N95s may be more suitable. But if you just need a protective mask for more casual use, like the occasional trip to the grocery store, KN95s are probably sufficient.

After doing the research, I decided a KN95 mask from Powecom, a Chinese brand, was best for my purposes. The mask scored 99 percent filtration efficiency in the C.D.C.’s tests.

From there, I visited Amazon, where I buy everything from dog food to batteries in the pandemic. That’s when things went awry.

Beware of Amazon
When I typed “Powecom KN95” into Amazon’s search box, the masks instantly popped up with a rating of 4.5 stars. I quickly clicked “Add to Cart.”

But before checking out, I scrolled down to read the reviews. There were about 130 — including a handful of one-star reviews from aggrieved buyers who said the masks were most likely fake. I emptied my shopping cart.

How had I almost bought a counterfeit? Saoud Khalifah, the founder of Fakespot, a company that offers tools to detect fake listings and reviews online, said a third-party seller had probably taken control of the product listing and sold fakes to make a quick buck.

“It’s a bit of a Wild West,” he said. “The normal consumers that shop on Amazon do not know that they just bought a fake mask. This is the biggest critical problem: You think it’s real, and suddenly you get sick.”

Mr. Khalifah presented other examples of questionable masks that were being sold on Amazon:

A pack of 50 masks was highlighted on Amazon this week as the No. 1 new release in women’s fashion scarves. Obviously, masks are not scarves, which was a giveaway that something was off. The listing description also replaced all of the letter A’s with accented characters. This was a technique used to bypass Amazon’s fraud detection systems, Mr. Khalifah said. Amazon removed the listing after I called about it.

Another pack of 20 masks looked attractive and was described as approved by the C.D.C. It even had positive reviews with an average of 4.4 stars. But the reviews revealed that most customers had received the masks for free, probably an incentive to leave positive feedback. One lukewarm review from someone who had paid for the product noted that the masks were “thin and very, very big.”

Mr. Khalifah’s software also detected that the reviewers of another pack of 100 masks, which had unanimous five-star ratings, had a history of writing promotional reviews for other brands.

Amazon said in a statement that it prohibits the sale of counterfeit products and invests to ensure its policy is followed. It said it had specific policies for N95 and KN95 masks, including a process for vetting inventory and taking action on those who sold fakes.

Amazon also said it had addressed the questionable Powecom mask that I nearly purchased, as well as the mask advertised as a scarf. It added that there was no evidence that the pack of 20 masks was counterfeited and did not comment on the pack of 100 masks.

Mr. Khalifah cautioned that the fakes he spotted on Amazon could just as easily be on websites for other big retailers, such as Walmart and eBay, that allow third-party sellers to ship products. To buy authentic masks, he said, I should take a less traditional approach to shopping online.

Order from an authorized source
Armed with this advice, I continued my search for the Powecom mask.

I visited the manufacturer’s website, which listed steps for verifying that a mask is real. That involved scanning a bar code on the package with a phone camera. Then I did a web search for the mask, which brought me to bonafidemasks.com, an online retailer that shows documentation stating that it is an authorized distributor of Powecom masks in the United States.

That was more reassuring. So I ordered a pack of 100 for $99. When the package arrived in the mail, I scanned the bar codes to confirm their authenticity. They were the real deal.

Another path I could have taken was to order masks directly from the manufacturer. Verified mask producers like DemeTech, in Miami, and Prestige Ameritech, in Texas, sell N95s through their websites.

But ordering directly from a manufacturer presents other challenges. Often you have to buy a large quantity to reduce the cost.

So what if you just want to buy a few to try on? Ms. Miller’s nonprofit Project N95 buys bulk orders of masks and breaks them up so people can buy smaller batches. “It’s a very painstaking process to go through,” she said.

No kidding.
Project95

I plan on either double masking with my disposable medical masks* or wearing a KN95 or KF95 (from Korea).

*Please forgive me for creating mask waste. I haz asthma.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I got the Moderna, too, but I'm not feeling too complacent about it. Maybe in a month or two it won't be as efficient.

My daughter and son-in-law are the only other ones in the family that got the Moderna.
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

LM K wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:39 pm
Suranis wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:29 pm I'm still masking up, screw the idiots.
:yeahthat:

Federal health authorities are encouraging folks to upgrade to a very good mask. Because ... Delta.

Here's an excellent article about counterfeit N95, KN95, and KF95 masks and how to avoid them.

:snippity:
*Please forgive me for creating mask waste. I haz asthma.
I was able to buy 20 real 3m N95 masks off of ebay for around $30. If they aren't real, then they are perfect forgeries, because they look and feel exactly like my pre-Covid n95's I've been treating like gold for the last year.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

I really wish I'd received the Moderna now that Delta is here. I received the Pfizer vaccine.

That said, it was predicted that boosters would be needed to maintain full vaccine efficacy.

I got the first vaccine I could. And I'm still thrilled to have received the Pfizer. The Pfizer might not protect me as fully from infection, but I'll still be able to fight covid.

Now that Pfizer is going to receive full approval, I expect boosters to be in our near future.

My Mister and I are back to our pre-vaccine lifestyle. We're going to rotate our emergency food store, stay home as much as possible, and stop being lazy about bleach wiping stuff, etc. We're upgrading our masks. I'm going to be the sole shopper/pharmacy errand runner.

I was really disappointed to be scheduled to teach online instead of in person this fall. I miss the classroom so much. Now I'm relieved to be working from home. I doubt my campus will stay open all term.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
raison de arizona

Well this is a good sign for Houston.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-he ... 7ec80cc3ea

WASHINGTON (AP) — Warning of tough days ahead with surging COVID-19 infections, the director of the National Institutes of Health said Sunday the U.S. could decide in the next couple weeks whether to offer coronavirus booster shots to Americans this fall.

Among the first to receive them could be health care workers, nursing home residents and other older Americans.

Dr. Francis Collins also pleaded anew for unvaccinated people to get their shots, calling them “sitting ducks” for a delta variant that is ravaging the country and showing little sign of letting up.

“This is going very steeply upward with no signs of having peaked out,” he said.

Federal health officials have been actively looking at whether extra shots for the vaccinated may be needed as early as this fall, reviewing case numbers in the U.S. “almost daily” as well as the situation in other countries such as Israel, where preliminary studies suggest the vaccine’s protection against serious illness dropped among those vaccinated in January.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”