SCOTUS

Suranis

Re: SCOTUS

Post by Suranis »

Tell him to look at what Goldwater actually believed. He would be called a screaming Liberal in the USA these days.
Hic sunt dracones
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

This specific court is compromised, too many defective members to be honest or effective.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

will Robert’s man up and tell Thomas to resign?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:01 am will Robert’s man up and tell Thomas to resign?
Why now? This and similar have been going on a long time.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:01 am will Robert’s man up and tell Thomas to resign?
No.

And if he did, Thomas would just ignore him,
filly

Post by filly »

June bug wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:04 am
No.

And if he did, Thomas would just ignore him,
Correct. And Roberts has no power to do so.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:04 am
the conflict of interest is fairly explicit at this point.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/25/politics ... index.html
Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was discharged from a Washington, DC, hospital Friday morning a week after he was admitted for what a court spokesperson described as an infection.

Thomas, 73, entered Sibley Memorial Hospital last Friday after experiencing flu-like symptoms.

The court’s public information officer did not say anything about Thomas’ condition when he was released and declined to offer any more details on his stay in the hospital.

Chief Justice John Roberts said Wednesday that Thomas would read briefs and transcripts of oral arguments. All nine justices are fully vaccinated and boosted against Covid-19.

The court announced Thomas’ hospitalization on Sunday and declined repeated requests for updates on his health since then.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Post by bob »

Chilidog wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:10 am
Unless 17 Republican senators suddenly find their spines, Thomas isn't going anywhere.
Image ImageImage
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Never say never.

People expect elected officials to lack integrity.

I'm thinking that Thomas won't be allowed to skate on this as easily.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

He may have a bumpy ride, but I think he'll skate.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I disagree somewhat. A month ago I’d have said he’ll skate, but the world keeps spinning. I never know what will break loose next.

This is too big a deal for him to skate.He’s toast.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I don't know, I can not see anything happening to Thomas. Given how much the GoP has invested in the Jan 6th insurrection being legitimate protest and the election being fraudulent, I have trouble seeing anyone who matters (to him) even raising a real criticism. I think this will be something that progressives get upset about for a week or two and then fades away, never really leaving that sphere.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neeneko wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:01 pm I don't know, I can not see anything happening to Thomas. Given how much the GoP has invested in the Jan 6th insurrection being legitimate protest and the election being fraudulent, I have trouble seeing anyone who matters (to him) even raising a real criticism. I think this will be something that progressives get upset about for a week or two and then fades away, never really leaving that sphere.
That’s how I see it.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Nothing is going to happen to Thomas. The only thing they can do is talk, and he is either going to ignore it and/or say something inane in response. He certainly isn't going to suddenly 1) resign, or 2) straighten up and fly right.

Nope. :nope:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I've been following this thread but apparently missed what is going on with Thomas aside from his hospitalization, and have been ignoring news channels for a few days for my mental health. Can anyone post a link or give a quick summation of what's up so I can search for it better?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

His wife was involved in the coup attempt. See the Ginni Thomas Mark Meadows thread.
Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:20 pm I've been following this thread but apparently missed what is going on with Thomas aside from his hospitalization, and have been ignoring news channels for a few days for my mental health. Can anyone post a link or give a quick summation of what's up so I can search for it better?
They caught his wife Ginni playing footsie with the insurrection and Q. Again.
viewtopic.php?t=1293&sid=bad92cc8c92a35 ... f1b6ea5ee2
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Estiveo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:31 pm His wife was involved in the coup attempt. See the Ginni Thomas Mark Meadows thread.
A lot of that was known, although not with this level of detail. What seemed to shock some journalists was she’s a Q-Anon and even got into the Iraqi dinar topic. RWNJ doesn’t even begin to cover it.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

New Turtle wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:55 pm Mitch is voting against her. My guess is she will get 50-52 votes when she should get all their votes.
50 for who and 52 for who?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bob

Post by bob »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:50 pm
New Turtle wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:55 pm Mitch is voting against her. My guess is she will get 50-52 votes when she should get all their votes.
50-52 votes to confirm Jackson to SCOTUS. I would be surprised if she got more than 52, and very surprised if she got less than 50.
Image ImageImage
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

bob wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:23 pm
Chilidog wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:10 am
Unless 17 Republican senators suddenly find their spines, Thomas isn't going anywhere.
Outsiders view: one would expect that Roberts advises Thomas to recuse himself of anything election related (personally I would hope that to go past presidential elections). And if things take a bad turn the most I can see that Thomas himself "retreats" to an "inactive position", he and the Republians will never allow a Democrat to have a say in selecting a replacement for him.
bob

Post by bob »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:57 pmOutsiders view: one would expect that Roberts advises Thomas to recuse himself of anything election related (personally I would hope that to go past presidential elections). And if things take a bad turn the most I can see that Thomas himself "retreats" to an "inactive position", he and the Republians will never allow a Democrat to have a say in selecting a replacement for him.
Despite "Chief" being in his title, Roberts has little authority to wield. Roberts is free to ask, and Thomas is free to ignore.

Nothing about Thomas' past suggests he'll be motivated by any of this to alter his behavior.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

:yeahthat: Thomas is going to ignore whatever they say or say something snotty back. He isn't going to back away from anything, not a chance.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

bob wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:55 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:50 pm
50-52 votes to confirm Jackson to SCOTUS. I would be surprised if she got more than 52, and very surprised if she got less than 50.
Thanks, bob. I read the original comment in the voice of Jack Elam as Jake in Support Your Local Sheriff.. "Forty percent for who and 60% for who?" Migraines don't help untangle words and numbers.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”