trump spawn

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Gregg

trump spawn

Post by Gregg »

northland10 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:54 am
Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:32 am I think enough musicians complained that someone looked into the laws on compulsary licensing and explained them to someone in the Trump circle. "Oh, wait, we don't NEED their permission if we record a mostly faithful cover of the song ourselves? We just have to pay a fee per digital download?"

It's the paying of the fee per digital download that will trip them up, of course. Trump don't pay.
Actually, you would need permission for public performance though a great deal of music under copyright in my world allows for public performance without an extra license (labels and publishers can still be a pest and try to try and fine scout camps for singing a song written for the scouts).

However, recording or streaming can be different. We have a site license not only for reprinting music and text in the bulletin but streaming over Zoom (and a few older things on YouTube). For those where the author and composer have been dead for 70 years, those are generally public domain.

Just curious, but what about a recorded performance by a band that not all the members or even none of the members wrote the music? Think, most Beatles songs. Does the 70 years topll if by some event Paul McCarney dies*? How about their recording of "Twist and Shout which they made a big hit but none of them wrote? Do all of the Beatles have to die before their records start tolling?

I've always been kind of interested in that since I first read the story of Micheal Jackson buying Northern Songs while Paul McCartney was looking the other way in the 80s. Conrary to his nice guy image, Sir Paul is said to have had a throw things across the room hissy fit when he found out, he had been trying to buy Northern Songs, the Beatles Publishing subsidiary that Dick James beat them out of in 1968 sine then. There is even a few minutes of dialogue about this in part one of the Get Back film Peter Jackson did, Paul and John wondering out loud how Dick James is screwing them....

*Super secret they don't want you to know, he gets the same child blood transfusions as Keith Richards and will live longer than the cockroaches. :rotflmao:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

trump spawn

Post by raison de arizona »

Yes don, those are all words. That isn’t how they are normally put together though.
Donald Trump Jr. @DonaldJTrumpJr wrote: Anyone with even a basic understanding of the law should read the ruling and see for themselves how nonsensical and asinine the whole thing is. This is weaponized Blue State Marxist America, & another example of the sheer impossibility of a fairness & impartiality in these areas.
Cernovich @Cernovich wrote: Unrelenting use of legal system to frame Trump and his supporters. https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump ... ba5da74249
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

trump spawn

Post by northland10 »

Gregg wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:37 pm Just curious, but what about a recorded performance by a band that not all the members or even none of the members wrote the music? Think, most Beatles songs. Does the 70 years topll if by some event Paul McCarney dies*? How about their recording of "Twist and Shout which they made a big hit but none of them wrote? Do all of the Beatles have to die before their records start tolling?
Here is where I back away and plead ignorance on the pop/rock world since it becomes far more complex when music is composed sometimes by multiple ones and what is considered to be an arrangement or an original work. Also, the lawyers for labels and publishers often have their own opinion on what the law says.

Then there is the issue of different countries have different copyright laws.

Recordings are also treated differently than the original music, at least in the classical world. If I recorded a order by Tudor composer Tallis, the music is in the public domain by the recording rights (such as the right to publicaly play the recording) would be the performers rights, not Tallis. There may be rights needing to pay on the published edition of said Tallis piece unless you are using a public domain edition.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

trump spawn

It's a public record dipshit, the property was valued at $18M in 2011. Reality.
Donald Trump Jr. @DonaldJTrumpJr wrote: If my father tried claiming the property was worth $18 million, he would probably then get charged with trying to underpay his real estate taxes!

They’ve set the game up so it’s always lose/lose in these blue states. If you don’t abide by their narrative they will target you.
Cernovich @Cernovich wrote: Lmao imagine if @DonaldJTrumpJr and family inherited Mar-a-Lago and claimed it was worth $18 million. IRS would have a laugh.

One Soros AG or DA or crooked judge will say it’s worth nothing as a way to harm you. When no other agency would accept that valuation.
These continued assaults on simple reality really grind my gears and burst my britches!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

trump spawn

It's a statement of fact, not opinion.
Donald Trump Jr. @DonaldJTrumpJr wrote: If Mar-a-Lago is worth $18 million… I’ll take 10 please!!!
NSBill @Bill_nsb wrote: HEY MAGA, GET PAST YOUR BULLSHIT

THE JUDGE DID NOT RULE THAT MAL-A-LAGO IS WORTH $18 MILLION.

HE JUST NOTED THAT TRUMP'S CLAIM IT IS WORTH $1.5 BILLION IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS, BECAUSE THE ASSESSED VALUE FOR TAXES WAS $18-27 MILLION.
pipistrelle

trump spawn

Post by pipistrelle »

Isn’t it worth $X as a residence and $Y as a commercial property?
raison de arizona

trump spawn

Way to throw tfg under the bus Eric :thumbsup:
Suranis

trump spawn

Post by Suranis »

No, its because you are a Director of a company that committed fraud, you dipshit.
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

trump spawn

Post by pipistrelle »

They must all use the same playbook. “Nation in decline” is popping up everywhere.
chancery
Verified:

trump spawn

Post by chancery »

Suranis wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:29 pm No, its because you are a Director of a company that committed fraud, you dipshit.
Also the complaint alleges a fair amount of bad conduct by Eric, supported by documentary evidence, as well as by the fact that Eric took the fifth at his deposition. He held liable based on that evidence, as well as the justifiable inferences from his invocation of the fifth amendment.
noblepa

trump spawn

Post by noblepa »

chancery wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:57 pm
Suranis wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:29 pm No, its because you are a Director of a company that committed fraud, you dipshit.
Also the complaint alleges a fair amount of bad conduct by Eric, supported by documentary evidence, as well as by the fact that Eric took the fifth at his deposition. He held liable based on that evidence, as well as the justifiable inferences from his invocation of the fifth amendment.
IANAL, but it is my impression that, unlike a criminal trial, the jury (or the judge acting as "trier of fact", as in this case) is permitted to draw a negative inference from a witness's invocation of the 5th amendment in a civil proceeding. amirite?

I also find it a bit of chutzpah for R's to whine about anyone going after TFG's family, given their obsession with prosecuting Hunter Biden.
chancery
Verified:

trump spawn

Post by chancery »

noblepa wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:12 pm
IANAL, but it is my impression that, unlike a criminal trial, the jury (or the judge acting as "trier of fact", as in this case) is permitted to draw a negative inference from a witness's invocation of the 5th amendment in a civil proceeding. amirite?
That’s correct.
MN-Skeptic

trump spawn

Post by MN-Skeptic »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:30 pm Isn’t it worth $X as a residence and $Y as a commercial property?
It doesn't matter what it's worth as a residence if legally it can't become one.
tek

trump spawn

Post by tek »

raison de arizona

trump spawn

Thanks for that tek, neat link :thumbsup:

"Man of the people" :lol:
Donald Trump Jr. @DonaldJTrumpJr wrote: Man of the people 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Citizen Free Press @CitizenFreePres wrote: The GOP clown car is melting down about President Trump on Fox News while Trump is in Michigan shaking the hands of hundreds of auto workers who sat on his every word tonight.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

trump spawn

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:45 pm Thanks for that tek, neat link :thumbsup:

Citizen Free Press @CitizenFreePres wrote: The GOP clown car is melting down about President Trump on Fox News while Trump is in Michigan shaking the hands of hundreds of auto workers who sat spat on his every word tonight.
FIFH
sad-cafe

trump spawn

Post by sad-cafe »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:16 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:45 pm Thanks for that tek, neat link :thumbsup:

FIFH
Actually donnie jr-beavis

That quote should read "man buys people"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

trump spawn

Post by RTH10260 »

The nearest the former guy came to real workers

What Donald Trump Knew About Undocumented Workers at His Signature Tower
Gregg

trump spawn

Post by Gregg »

Citizen Free Press @CitizenFreePres wrote: The GOP clown car is melting down about President Trump on Fox News while Trump is in Michigan shaking the hands of hundreds of auto workers who sat on his every word tonight.
For the record, and I guess you have to live or work in Detroit to get how unright this whole thing was, but the company where he went, Drake Enterprises, has 125 employees and those in at least 2 shift, so at any given time less than 75 in the building. The rest of those people were not employees, not union (Drake is itself non-union) and the "Union Workers for Trump" signs were paid for and handed out by the Trump Campaign.

Not lost is that none of the people holding the signs would allow themselves to be interviewed on air. In Detroit is is almost impossible not to live down the street from someone in a car plant and the UAW guy down the street who knows you work at the bank or some other for sure non-union job is likely not to to be very friendly after he sees you mon TV bragging about being Union for Trump, especially when he's walking a picket line for an after tax check of $300 a week while you did it.

Also,, not to put too fine a point on it, that is the whitest crowd seen in Detroit since they desegregated Tiger Stadium. Absolutely no factory in Metro Detroit needs to go looking for the 4 guys to hold the "Blacks for Trump" signs :smoking:

Dr. Ken

trump spawn

Post by Dr. Ken »

Lara should have listened
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

trump spawn

Post by Maybenaut »

It’s not entirely clear to me that Lara Trump didn’t purchase the right to record the song. There are a number of agencies through which you can purchase recording rights to cover a particular song. Very few published artists retain personal control over who covers their work. So while I get that the Petty estate doesn’t like it, I doubt there’s much they can do about it.

Having said that, Apple doesn’t have to host it on its platform if it doesn’t want to.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Suranis

trump spawn

Post by Suranis »

And Lara Trump can howl about how persecuted she is if she wants to.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

trump spawn

Post by RTH10260 »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:36 pm It’s not entirely clear to me that Lara Trump didn’t purchase the right to record the song. There are a number of agencies through which you can purchase recording rights to cover a particular song. Very few published artists retain personal control over who covers their work. So while I get that the Petty estate doesn’t like it, I doubt there’s much they can do about it.

Having said that, Apple doesn’t have to host it on its platform if it doesn’t want to.
Apart she may have missed some minor small print if she actually bought a license. Like where to publish, and how to provide to Apple such credentials.
Gregg

trump spawn

Post by Gregg »

Suranis wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:49 pm And Lara Trump can howl about how persecuted she is if she wants to.
That's the B side of her record. Most people thought she was doing a Yoko Ono cover.

Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

trump spawn

Post by Flatpoint High »

northland10 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:13 am
Gregg wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:37 pm Just curious, but what about a recorded performance by a band that not all the members or even none of the members wrote the music? Think, most Beatles songs. Does the 70 years topll if by some event Paul McCarney dies*? How about their recording of "Twist and Shout which they made a big hit but none of them wrote? Do all of the Beatles have to die before their records start tolling?
Here is where I back away and plead ignorance on the pop/rock world since it becomes far more complex when music is composed sometimes by multiple ones and what is considered to be an arrangement or an original work. Also, the lawyers for labels and publishers often have their own opinion on what the law says.

Then there is the issue of different countries have different copyright laws.

Recordings are also treated differently than the original music, at least in the classical world. If I recorded a order by Tudor composer Tallis, the music is in the public domain by the recording rights (such as the right to publicaly play the recording) would be the performers rights, not Tallis. There may be rights needing to pay on the published edition of said Tallis piece unless you are using a public domain edition.
I was dinged by Facebook for using the Original recordings of some standards, since they are still being recorded w/the original arrangements.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”