💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Slim Cognito
Verified:

The 118th Congress with Kevin "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker /Clowns

Post by Slim Cognito »

My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... r-AA1cxMcN
The House is expected on Wednesday to take up a censure resolution against California Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff for his role in investigations of the former president.

The resolution, sponsored by GOP Rep. Anna Paulina Luna of Florida, is expected get called up at the end of an afternoon vote series – around 3:45 p.m. ET.

House Democrats are expected to offer a motion to table – or kill – the resolution. For that to happen, a majority of the House must vote in favor of the motion. Republican leaders believe that there’s a good chance that enough GOP lawmakers will vote with Democrats to stop the resolution.

Republicans have long criticized Schiff over congressional inquiries into the former president, arguing that he has made reckless and unsubstantiated claims. Democrats have dismissed GOP criticisms of the California Democrat as partisan and unfounded. The resolution claims that Schiff “exploited his positions on HPSCI (House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence) to encourage and excuse abusive intelligence investigations of Americans for political purposes.”
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:17 pm
Luna says if DOJ doesn’t hold FBI Director Wray accountable for whatever latest thing he did to upset House Republicans, they are going to seek to eliminate the position of FBI Director.
So, repealing 28 U.S. Code § 53x, then?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Rep. Luna’s resolution to censure Adam Schiff and fine him 16 million dollars is stopped 225-196
20 Republicans join with Democrats to table it
bob

Post by bob »

Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

James Comer on Maria Bartiromo's show says MSNBC has "a low IQ audience"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Pot, meet kettle. :lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Kendra wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:08 am https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1669342526107709440
James Comer on Maria Bartiromo's show says MSNBC has "a low IQ audience"
I guess Faux News audience ought to stop digging :lol:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://apnews.com/article/trump-indict ... 0dde9100a9
WASHINGTON (AP) — Moments after Donald Trump pleaded not guilty to federal charges that he hoarded classified documents and then conspired to obstruct an investigation about it, the Republicans in Congress had his back.

Speaker Kevin McCarthy dashed off a fundraising email decrying the “witch hunt” against the former president and urging donors to sign up and “stand with Trump.”

Across the Capitol, Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell steered clear of criticizing the former president, saying only, “I’m not going to start commenting on the various candidates we have for president.”

And at a public meeting in the Capitol basement, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene compared the case against Trump to the federal prosecution of people at the Jan. 6, 2021 insurrection, suggesting in both instances it was the Justice Department, not the defendants, under scrutiny.

The mounting legal jeopardy Trump finds himself in has quickly become a political rallying cry for the Republicans, many of whom acknowledged they had not fully read the 49-page federal indictment but stood by the indicted former president, adopting his grievances against the federal justice system as their own.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://wapo.st/3NztQKM

Gift link. Nicolle Wallace just did a deep dive on this story.
Donald Trump could not have asked for a nicer arraignment-day celebration.

During the very same hour in which the former president surrendered to federal authorities in Miami, his Republican allies in the House were, in their most visible and official way yet, embracing as heroes and martyrs the people who sacked the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, in hopes of overturning Trump’s election defeat.

In the Capitol complex, Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), with sidekick Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) and four other far-right lawmakers, held a “hearing” that honored participants in the riot, family members of Jan. 6 rioters and organizers of the attempted overthrow of the 2020 vote.

Technically, Gaetz couldn’t call such a hearing, because he isn’t a committee chairman. But House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, who is trying to win back the support of extremists such as Gaetz, let it happen anyway.

Gaetz did his all to make the proceedings look official. There were congressional seals on his nameplate and on the big screen behind him. A meeting room in the Capitol visitor center was arranged to appear like a committee room, with lawmakers facing the witnesses. Gaetz advertised the “field hearing” as part of how “the 118th Congress is investigating the weaponization of the federal government.”
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I watched that, and it was shameful and disgusting.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:18 pm I watched that, and it was shameful and disgusting.
I hope more reporters pick up on that story, plus the Hill reporters getting in McCarthy's face for allowing that sham hearing :mad:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kendra wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:27 pm https://wapo.st/3NztQKM

:snippity: :snippity: :snippity:
Deadline White House @DeadlineWH wrote: "It makes a mockery of our rule of law and our justice system... the people who were invited to speak, many of them have been arrested on felonies for their participation in January 6th so they're being honored for being criminals" - @FrankFigliuzzi1 w/ @NicolleDWallace
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:18 pm I watched that, and it was shameful and disgusting.
Agree. When will this nightmare end. Vote, vote, vote.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:?: :?: :?:

Wouldn't CSpan have covered this, or did the private guest room BS skirt that?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The DOJ reiterated to House Judiciary Chairman Jim Jordan on Friday it will not give him info that could compromise ongoing special counsel investigations into Trump, per a series of letters responding to his requests.

DOJ did share some new details.

w/
@AnnieGrayerCNN
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:11 pm
Kendra wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:27 pm https://wapo.st/3NztQKM

:snippity: :snippity: :snippity:
Deadline White House @DeadlineWH wrote: "It makes a mockery of our rule of law and our justice system... the people who were invited to speak, many of them have been arrested on felonies for their participation in January 6th so they're being honored for being criminals" - @FrankFigliuzzi1 w/ @NicolleDWallace
A lot of Confederate soldiers were honoured and are still being honoured to this day for being traitors.

Why shouldn't their descendants and fellow travellers be honoured too?
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
bob

Post by bob »

The magistrate judge who issued the search warrant last year was hired by the court, and not nominated by anyone.

But the point stands.
Image ImageImage
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

House to vote on Biden impeachment and Schiff censure

https://www.axios.com/2023/06/21/biden- ... ce=twitter
The House will vote this week on a pair of resolutions impeaching President Biden and censuring Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.).

Why it matters: Both measures were introduced by members of the right-wing House Freedom Caucus, who have proven increasingly willing to try to force votes that could divide their party.

That was demonstrated last week, when 20 Republicans helped to kill an iteration of the Schiff censure last week that included a $16 million fine.

Driving the news: Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) introduced a privileged motion on Tuesday to force a vote on her two articles of impeachment against Biden.

The resolution charges Biden with abuse of power and dereliction of duty over his handling of the U.S.-Mexico border.

Rep. Anna Paulina Luna (R-Fla.), meanwhile, is making another run — without the fine — at passing her resolution to censure Schiff over his claims about former President Trump's ties to Russia.

The state of play: While Luna's resolution appears to have the votes to pass now that she has removed the fine, Boebert's resolution is treading into uncharted territory.

Some centrist and swing-district Republicans have balked at the idea of impeaching Biden's cabinet secretaries, let alone Biden himself, without clear evidence of wrongdoing.

"I don't think that impeachment is something that should be taken lightly," Biden-district Rep. Nick LaLota (R-N.Y.) told Axios last week. "I think the House should only impeach when it is likely ... to have the votes in the House and the Senate."
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I hope the theater turns off independents.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:07 am I hope the theater turns off independents.
The lastest polling shows Independents disapprove of Trump by 85%. That doesn't necessarily mean they approve of Biden, but even Republican support for Trump has diminished by 10 points in less than a month. Biden is not creating chaos and is starting to show up in places with large numbers of obvious support.

I don't think anyone other than hard core Republicans are watching Jordan's bullshit carnival show. The rest of us are watching the Democrats on the committees making serious points that actually comport with what we see with our own eyes.
“A know-it-all is a person who knows everything except for how annoying he is.”

— Demetri Martin
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

In addition to the Durham clown show...

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:crazy:

Return to “Current Politics”