Viva la Résistance

Whatever4

Viva la Résistance

Post by Whatever4 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:55 pm

Be the #greenshirtguy we all need right now.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... rotesters/

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Viva la Résistance

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:36 pm

680 people arrested here today, in the largest single-state immigration raid in US history. On the first day of school. With no thought to the children who would be arriving home to an empty house and no idea where their parents were. Churches and neighbors and total strangers stepped up to corral the abandoned kids as their parents were shipped off to Jena, LA. No idea when or how of even if they will be reunited. For a goddamned non-violent misdemeanor. Just so a bunch of heartless Republican bastards can get on television and crow about "enforcing the law" against people who are just trying to feed their families. $8/hr at a fucking chicken plant and they act like they're terrorists bent on crippling America. The only people crippling America are the heartless Republican bastards that are doing this. There aren't 680 good ole white boys in the entire state that would be willing to do the jobs these people were doing.
Fuck these assholes. FUCK. THESE. ASSHOLES. And fuck every single person who supports what they are doing. Fuck every single person who even has no opinion on what they are doing. As a matter of fact, if you aren't actively and vocally supporting these immigrants and their families, fuck you too.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:33 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:36 pm
680 people arrested here today, in the largest single-state immigration raid in US history. On the first day of school. With no thought to the children who would be arriving home to an empty house and no idea where their parents were. Churches and neighbors and total strangers stepped up to corral the abandoned kids as their parents were shipped off to Jena, LA. No idea when or how of even if they will be reunited. For a goddamned non-violent misdemeanor. Just so a bunch of heartless Republican bastards can get on television and crow about "enforcing the law" against people who are just trying to feed their families. $8/hr at a fucking chicken plant and they act like they're terrorists bent on crippling America. The only people crippling America are the heartless Republican bastards that are doing this. There aren't 680 good ole white boys in the entire state that would be willing to do the jobs these people were doing.
Fuck these assholes. FUCK. THESE. ASSHOLES. And fuck every single person who supports what they are doing. Fuck every single person who even has no opinion on what they are doing. As a matter of fact, if you aren't actively and vocally supporting these immigrants and their families, fuck you too.
:yeah: x100
The girls prepare for our Jaws drive(way)-in movie tonight. ImageImageImage x4

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:03 am

And nothing ever happens to the employers. They will pay a minimal fine, hire more undocumented workers, claim they had no idea the workers were undocumented, then they will get raided again. Rinse and repeat. Just like the semi-automatic guns issue, NEVER get at the root of the problem, just scapegoat others.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:21 am

TexasFilly wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:03 am
And nothing ever happens to the employers. They will pay a minimal fine, hire more undocumented workers, claim they had no idea the workers were undocumented, then they will get raided again. Rinse and repeat. Just like the semi-automatic guns issue, NEVER get at the root of the problem, just scapegoat others.
According to the local news reports, most (if not all) of those arrested had been run through E-verify, so at least part of the fault lies with the gov't itself. The chicken plants around here have been frequent targets of immigration raids, including the second largest round-up in US history of 600 people a couple of years ago, so they are generally pretty careful with hires. If the gov't says "here's this program and you have to use it or you will be in violation of federal law" and the companies use it and it doesn't do what it's supposed to do I'm sort of at a loss as to what comes next.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:55 am

That reminds me of all of the articles about Trump's properties where the management would advise the undocumented workers how to get better fake papers for continued employment. If the local news reports are accurate, then E-Verify is seriously fucked up. Maybe intentionally so. It will be difficult to convince me that the plant managers and owners weren't aware of the immigration status of 600 plus employees.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:19 am

TexasFilly wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:55 am
That reminds me of all of the articles about Trump's properties where the management would advise the undocumented workers how to get better fake papers for continued employment. If the local news reports are accurate, then E-Verify is seriously fucked up. Maybe intentionally so. It will be difficult to convince me that the plant managers and owners weren't aware of the immigration status of 600 plus employees.
It wasn't 680 people in one plant, or even one company. They had raids all over the state.

The last time they did this, they shut down a Vietnamese restaurant with 40 something arrests. A week later it was announced that only 3 of those arrested were actually undocumented. Didn't stop the restaurant from going out of business, or the trauma to those arrested. They're already releasing people from the current raid because ooops, we fucked up.

I wonder if the reaction would be the same if everyone with a misdemeanor warrant was rounded up and shipped off someplace else. Better take care of those shoplifting fines and parking tickets asap.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:18 am

Noted. But these plants are not small businesses. They know, but now apparently have cover with an E-Verify system that doesn't work (or does, depending on your perspective). If Fat Nixon really cared about this, he'd fix the things his government controls. But he'd rather ruin lives and see blood on the floor.

annrc

Post by annrc » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:38 am

Thank you, Sugar Magnolia. I wish this man (?), was gone! My first thought after the raids was, “what about the children”! My heart grieves for this country, for all the individuals caught up in the show of domineering lunacy by our leaders.

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:47 am

America First is good documentary on the 2008 Postville raid, at that time the biggest immigration raid in US history. The owner of the meatpacking plant which was raided eventually went to prison on charges unrelated to the raid and his sentence was eventually commuted by Donald Trump (on, reportedly, the advice of Alan Dershowitz).

But besides the devastation wrought on the lives of the immigrants who worked at the plant, the whole town was devastated
"The demographic impact was huge. The town lost almost half of its population after the raid. It was also devastating economically. The plant that was the main economic motor of the town went bankrupt and later reopened under a foreign owner. Many workers didn't get paid for months and eventually lost their jobs. A lot of local businesses closed down. The whole county, not only the towns, suffered, immigrants and nonimmigrants alike. That's what we heard during our reporting for months."
— Almudena Toral, producer
https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2018/07 ... ocumentary
My first thought after the raids was, “what about the children”!
The effect on kids is dramatic. There's been studies in Postville about low fertility rates afterwards and the psychological impact it had on children. In this case, the girl that we profiled … she is the only one in her family that was born in the U.S. Her family is from Guatemala. Her dad was arrested and put in prison for six months, and later deported during the Postville raid. Her mom, [who was] also undocumented, wasn't at the meatpacking plant but got really really scared and ended up going back to Guatemala with the girls, with her daughters. And the difference is striking. [Her] sisters in Guatemala don't even go to school. One of them is 5 years old. The other one is 15 and the other one is 16. So she has the whole pressure of sustaining her family in the future. There's a lot of hopes put on her, but it's also extremely difficult psychologically for her. She even mentions at some point [in the] documentary, ‘I don't even have anybody to give me hugs.’
How deep could the Deep State go if the Deep State could go deep?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:56 am

annrc wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:38 am
Thank you, Sugar Magnolia. I wish this man (?), was gone! My first thought after the raids was, “what about the children”! My heart grieves for this country, for all the individuals caught up in the show of domineering lunacy by our leaders.

:madguy:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:14 pm

I just dropped off 20 lbs of fresh fruit (double my usual weekly donation), granola bars and fruit drinks. Everyone in the office looked incredibly stressed and I barely made it back to the car without bursting into tears.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:20 pm

:bighug:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:23 pm

This is way over the top and I'm not endorsing it but it's pretty damn funny!

Avatar Photo: Rusty, the All American Squirrel, was given Karl P. Koenigs' gun. Rusty: "Sucks to be you, Karl."
Don't miss Fogbow's favorite show, "Mama June: From Not To Hot: "The Road To Intervention"

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:16 pm

Jerk.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:02 pm

not sure where this goes.
We the People March
Public · Hosted by Amy Siskind and KA McRae
Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 11 AM – 4 PM EDT
Washington DC Freedom Plaza (13th and Pennsylvania Ave NW)

Details
We will be hosting a march on our nation's capital on September 21. Our website, coming soon, will list transportation being arranged to DC and solidarity marches around the country. We will also be listing details and updates on this event page.

Our Mission Statement:
"We the People are marching to be seen and heard. We are marching to remind our elected officials that they work for us. We are marching because Donald Trump is a threat to our democracy and values. We are marching to demand action. Silence and inaction are complicity. “

493 Going · 3.7K Interested
53 posts in the discussion

Amy Siskind
Yesterday ·

We are a go!
WE THE PEOPLE MARCH in DC on September 21!
KA McRae and I are working with some fabulous volunteers to get a website up in the next few days.
We will be listing solidarity marches, and transportation that folks are arranging to get to DC, as well as info on the march itself, etc. Will also open a Facebook event page for those who want to stay posted here. Stay tuned and SPREAD THE WORD! #WeThePeopleMarch

Thanks to Lisa Amowitz for the beautiful graphic.

FB event page: https://www.facebook .com/events/461490171371500/?ti=icl
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:53 pm

San Diego Indivisible
· 7 hrs ·

😷We have the cure ! VOTE 🗳 2020🇺🇸🌊🌊🌊
► Show Spoiler
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Return to “The Resistance”