The Fractally Clueless White House

Hurtzi

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

Post by Hurtzi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:21 am

Trump - stranger than fiction.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:25 am

I wonder if Denmark would be interested in a trade, like maybe the island of Midway. Or Guam, straight up. :daydream:
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:26 am

Dolly wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:11 pm
Off Topic
Years ago, I worked with a woman whose husband was stationed in Thule, Greenland. She pronounced it "too-lee" and told me it was the origin of the expression "out in the "toolies".
In classical and medieval literature, ultima Thule (Latin "farthermost Thule") acquired a metaphorical meaning of any distant place located beyond the "borders of the known world". ..
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thule
Thats where my son was this summer, Thule. To the Inuit, it’s “Pituffik."

The base is a staging area for many Science teams

He had a great time hanging out with “the NASA boys” as he called them. I believe that they were studying glaciers

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:47 am

Perhaps trump should cancel all future visits with Kim until he agrees to sell NK to the US. It honestly would be of strategic importance.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:53 am

Cross-posting

WaPo
Danes furious over postponement of Trump’s visit, call his behavior ‘insulting’

BERLIN — Danish lawmakers on Wednesday reacted in fury to President’s Trump’s postponement of his two-day visit in early September to Denmark after its prime minister said she was not interested in selling him the autonomous island of Greenland.

Parliamentarians and former government ministers slammed the president’s behavior as juvenile, undiplomatic and insulting, though the government itself has yet to comment on the visit’s cancellation and instead scheduled a news conference for the afternoon.

“It’s an insult from a close friend and ally,” Michael Aastrup Jensen, a member of the Danish parliament with the influential center-right Venstre party, told The Washington Post. He said Trump’s interest in purchasing Greenland took the country by surprise and was initially widely considered to be a joke, before Danes realized the full extent of “this disaster.”

Jensen said Danish lawmakers felt misled and “appalled” by the president, who “lacks even basic diplomatic skills,” he said. “There was no word [ahead of time] about: ‘I want to buy Greenland and that’s why I’m coming.’”
Adding:
The Week: Coincidentally, Obama is visiting Denmark in late September ...

Meanwhile, a month before Trump's visit, thousands of people had "already signed up for a demonstration against him," the Copenhagen Post reported last week. "So it looks like the Danes prefer Obama over Trump after all. ..." Apropos of nothing.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:02 am

Foggy wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:25 am
I wonder if Denmark would be interested in a trade, like maybe the island of Midway. Or Guam, straight up. :daydream:
Ha - now that would be a deal in the liking of a certain New Yorker business man: sell those islands to Denmark and let them melt down Greenland and see their other territories drown under rising sea levels :shh:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:11 am

:confused: I still don't understand why a purchase of Greenland would help in a strategic way. The US can already now station troops there, as a good allie (if you don't cacel state visits) they would offer more locations. It's just not a location where the military would think of staging advance troop formations, half a year locked into their barracks due to adverse weather conditions. Dotus never spoke in advance with any of "his generals" about this nonsense brainfart of his.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:19 am

Right. Buying Canada makes the most sense. For one thing, we'd probably get Pretty Hektor back here at TFB, to my joy. :-D By then, who knows?, he might be able to watch the Russkis from his porch.
RTH10260 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:11 am
:confused: I still don't understand why a purchase of Greenland would help in a strategic way. The US can already now station troops there, as a good allie (if you don't cacel state visits) they would offer more locations. It's just not a location where the military would think of staging advance troop formations, half a year locked into their barracks due to adverse weather conditions. Dotus never spoke in advance with any of "his generals" about this nonsense brainfart of his.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:14 am

In the past 24 hours Trump cancelled a trip to Denmark because it wouldn’t sell him Greenland, referred to American Jews who vote Democratic as disloyal, and tweeted Israeli Jews view him as the “second coming of God” and the “King of Israel.”

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:27 am

Kendra wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:14 am
In the past 24 hours Trump cancelled a trip to Denmark because it wouldn’t sell him Greenland, referred to American Jews who vote Democratic as disloyal, and tweeted Israeli Jews view him as the “second coming of God” and the “King of Israel.”
And the sad thing is that NONE of this qualifies as a surprise.

If he buys Greenland, he can always default on the payments, and then declare bankruptcy like he has every other time. Except I think Norway would demand Kroner up front being sensible people.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:53 am

:roll:
Andrew S. Weiss
@andrewsweiss
French diplomats say Trump (who will be the host of next year's G7 summit) tried to enlist Macron yday to support inviting Putin to the meeting. No way Putin wants to come smack dab in the middle of US presidential race...yet Trump can't restrain his desire to do solids for him.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:27 am
Kendra wrote:
And the sad thing is that NONE of this qualifies as a surprise.

If he buys Greenland, he can always default on the payments, and then declare bankruptcy like he has every other time. Except I think Norway would demand Kroner up front being sensible people.
Among the 400 reasons his little squirrel brain thinks it would make sense to buy Greenland is Denmark currently pays a bunch of money to support it (maybe they should up the rent on the US bases there to balance the books) and he wants to buy it and then jigger the books around and say he made a great deal and he runs Greenland so much better than Denmark ever did.

Using that logic, I say we should trade Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Oklahoma and Montana for Greenland, they all cost us a lot more than Greenland costs Denmark.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:24 am

stop viewing once the vpn advertisment begins

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:06 am

Kendra wrote:
Back in the good old days that Trump's base wants to return to, people that spoke like this got put into locked
wards and medicated.
I've heard this bull before.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:25 am

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:53 am
:roll:
Andrew S. Weiss
@andrewsweiss
French diplomats say Trump (who will be the host of next year's G7 summit) tried to enlist Macron yday to support inviting Putin to the meeting. No way Putin wants to come smack dab in the middle of US presidential race...yet Trump can't restrain his desire to do solids for him.
Didn't I read somewhere a few weeks back he wants to hold it at Maralago? What are the chances of that happening?

And I can totally see trump extending a public invitation to Putin to attend.
The girls prepare for our Jaws drive(way)-in movie tonight. ImageImageImage x4

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:03 am

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:06 am
Kendra wrote:
Back in the good old days that Trump's base wants to return to, people that spoke like this got put into locked
wards and medicated.
From RawStory:

The president is “batsh*t crazy,” according to a Republican operative — and there’s apparently nothing Americans can do about that until next year’s election.

Trump supporters, and much of the mainstream media, once believed the president’s outrageous and outlandish remarks were part of some psychological strategy to “own the libs,” wrote GOP strategist Rick Wilson for The Daily Beast, but “only idiots and zealots believe that now.”

The howling vacuum of need within Trump’s soul had already distorted every normal human emotion for decades, but now the stress of the presidency and the realities of his lasting failures have pushed him closer to a very public mental breakdown,” Wilson wrote.

Trump could paper over his failures as a celebrity businessman, but the presidency is different.

His rising mania and rage come from the sure knowledge that history’s cold, brutal eye will allow no later revision, no long-term rethinking of his legacy, or even wry nostalgia over the grim era in which he presides,” Wilson wrote. “His failures, cruelty, caprice, corruption, and hairstyling tips will be graven in stone as a warning to future Americans.”
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:00 pm

That analysis has a whiff of over-thinking to me. We know Trump craves adulation (well, I think we do), but is there any indication that he is interested in what history books will have to say about him?

As for him being a failure, yeah, noooo … he's acquired the means to live a luxurious lifestyle, have access to all the celebrities, movers and shakers that he wanted, he has millions of adoring fans in the country, he has powerful people kissing his ring (or rings … :-D ) and he's become President of the United States. Is that really failure? If it is failure, what does success look like?

I'm not trying to boost the obnoxious orange execrescence. I know many of his enterprises have gone belly-up (without snaring him though), and his contributions to societal progress are negative. He is a disgusting person and his morals are appalling. But I still think calling him a "failure" is wrong thinking.

Mr Brolin

Post by Mr Brolin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:32 pm

What the Great Sand Worm did was tap into and (if not appeal) nor repulse a number of existing, seemingly disparate, yet interlinked threads in the US political landscape

Evangelicals who were more than happy to ignore his misogyny, affairs, whore mongering, love of Mannon, economic hubris and wholly non Christian ethos 'cause he was gonna get abortions outlawed

Republican's (generic) wanted that sweet, sweet tax cuts and judicial stuffing to hopefully keep the like minded in power another generation

General voters both undecided, and blue dog Democrat et-al who had and still have a deep seated distaste for the "politics and corruption as usual" that has become the hallmark of Senate and Congress where the position is all and damn the actual electorate, the US and it's needs and requirements. Maybe just maybe the coarse, foul mouthed "billionaire" would "drain the swamp"

Poorer, blue collar and manual labor workers, typically older and whiter who hark back wistfully to an imaginary time of Leave it to beaver" and where "folks" knew their damn place

Millennials and the like who have been brought up in a world of social media, fake news, celebrity as a goal and snack size sound bites who have massive school debt and a poor grasp of the difference between Sound and Noise. "Hey he can't be as bad as they say...have you seen "insert fact free meme of choice"

These groups, along with....

A perfect storm of a massive 20-30 years of gerrymandered districts, social media pressure by other countries and a Democratic candidate that wasn't actually liked enough (irrespective of competence) to cut sufficiently across non traditional voters left us with this travesty and bloated empty suit.

He is CUNNING, APPEARS successful, is EFFECTIVE as a conman and has an well honed ability to outrage. Hopefully the American people have grasped that lies, venality, malicious intent and hot air do not a country make

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:11 pm

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/201 ... 4U.twitter
The U.S. should obviously buy Greenland, and anyone who doesn't see that is blinded by disdain for the president, U.S. Sen. Tom Cotton said Wednesday.

Cotton, R-Arkansas, said he broached the topic with the Danish ambassador to the United States several months ago. He also recommended to President Donald Trump that he should try to buy the territory from Denmark.
Blame it on Tom?

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:17 pm

He is CUNNING, APPEARS successful, is EFFECTIVE as a conman and has an well honed ability to outrage....
Yes, the abilities he has, he has in spades. The abilities of a con artist: Weaseling around hard questions. Making people like him and want to be like him. Tenacity. Seeming to agree with anyone at different times, when it is to his advantage. Talking strangers into disbelieving their families and advisers and into swallowing the BS Trump has always peddled, trusting only him.

But I realized the other day what Trump has done all his life: he is the living embodiment of the plot of The Producers.

Talk up a project to investors as a guaranteed success. Use their money (as little as possible) to form a half-baked project that manages to look good for a while, while skimming off the investors' money (as much as possible) and then letting the project fail, wallowing in debt, so there is little or nothing for the investors to recover. And that includes banks.

He's done it all the way to his most recent project: a fake, intentionally dysfunctional, administration.

But success is not uniformly laudable, especially when it becomes known that it was, and is, fraudulent. Sure, he got laid by gorgeous women and gold-plated his toilet. People kissed his ass. He was on T.V. He cheated at golf with celebrities. Yes, he lived the high life...

As did Jeff Epstein. And Bill Cosby. And O.J. Simpson. And Bernie Madoff.

But now, right now, how is their "success" seen? Would you trade places with them? Live their life instead of yours?

I know I wouldn't.

Barack Obama was a success. Bill Gates was a success. Paul Newman was a success. Toni Morrison. Arnold Schwartzenegger. Oprah Winfrey. Johnny Carson. Heck, I could list a couple hundred names just off the top of my head whose successes are as enviable as the former ones are repugnant.
X3

Clairez

Post by Clairez » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:58 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:06 am
Kendra wrote:
wards and medicated.
or burned at the stake! :torches:

Hurtzi

Post by Hurtzi » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:06 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:17 pm
He is CUNNING, APPEARS successful, is EFFECTIVE as a conman and has an well honed ability to outrage....
Yes, the abilities he has, he has in spades. The abilities of a con artist: Weaseling around hard questions. Making people like him and want to be like him. Tenacity. Seeming to agree with anyone at different times, when it is to his advantage. Talking strangers into disbelieving their families and advisers and into swallowing the BS Trump has always peddled, trusting only him.

But I realized the other day what Trump has done all his life: he is the living embodiment of the plot of The Producers.

Talk up a project to investors as a guaranteed success. Use their money (as little as possible) to form a half-baked project that manages to look good for a while, while skimming off the investors' money (as much as possible) and then letting the project fail, wallowing in debt, so there is little or nothing for the investors to recover. And that includes banks.

He's done it all the way to his most recent project: a fake, intentionally dysfunctional, administration.

But success is not uniformly laudable, especially when it becomes known that it was, and is, fraudulent. Sure, he got laid by gorgeous women and gold-plated his toilet. People kissed his ass. He was on T.V. He cheated at golf with celebrities. Yes, he lived the high life...

But now, right now, how is their "success" seen? Would you trade places with them? Live their life instead of yours?

I know I wouldn't.

Barack Obama was a success. Bill Gates was a success. Paul Newman was a success. Toni Morrison. Arnold Schwartzenegger. Oprah Winfrey. Johnny Carson. Heck, I could list a couple hundred names just off the top of my head whose successes are as enviable as the former ones are repugnant.
That is scholarly in the good sense. I would not want to trade places with Trump even for the best hours of his life.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:33 pm

Yes, RoadScholar, that's the point: some vague terms like "success" and "failure" carry inherent value judgements which are not always appropriate. "Successful" implies "good" and a sense of approval but a successful thief, conman or hitman is not a good person nor doing a good thing.

There's a natural tendency to try to load all bad attributes onto a despised person, and Trump exacerbates that tendency by having so many bad attributes. For example, we've had that before here: some people want all bullies to be cowardly—but many are not.

I wouldn't call Trump a "success". And I consider him a failure as a moral person. But I have enough respect for the challenges involved in becoming US President that I cannot comfortably apply the term "failure" to anyone who has achieved that. Will Trump's presidency be a failure? Of course it will, it already is! Will Trump be a failure as a president? Of course, he already is! But him as a "failure" without elaborating on the term? No.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:42 pm

I beg to differ. His accomplishing the presidency is a success in the same way a rapist is successful at mating.

Both got what they wanted by cheating, lying, damaging... being willing to disregard the well-being of anybody but himself.

That's not success to me. That's effectiveness.

I consider both to be failures, as men and as human beings.
X3

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:50 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:17 pm

I know I wouldn't.

:like:

Return to “Trump Administration”