The Fractally Clueless White House

User avatar
Kendra
Posts: 13960
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#726

Post by Kendra » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:42 pm

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/08/intern ... his-words/
Internet goes wild over ‘obviously drunk’ Larry Kudlow on FOX: ‘He’s lying while slurring his words’

User avatar
Gregg
Posts: 2884
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:09 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH USA
Occupation: We build cars

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#727

Post by Gregg » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:23 pm
Gregg wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:04 pm
I'm still thinking about banging Liz Hurley, too. And I have a better chance of her paying for the dinner than Trump does of buying Greenland.
Been there, done that. It's not all it's cracked up to be.
I don't believe you, there is no way you got a decent dinner in England.

:lol:
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

User avatar
ZekeB
Posts: 15911
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Northwest part of Semi Blue State

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#728

Post by ZekeB » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:20 pm

Gregg wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:11 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:23 pm
Gregg wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:04 pm
I'm still thinking about banging Liz Hurley, too. And I have a better chance of her paying for the dinner than Trump does of buying Greenland.
Been there, done that. It's not all it's cracked up to be.
I don't believe you, there is no way you got a decent dinner in England.

:lol:
Nonsense Gregg. I see my your post that you would have been happy with bangers and mash.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

User avatar
Gregg
Posts: 2884
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:09 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH USA
Occupation: We build cars

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#729

Post by Gregg » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Guilty
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

User avatar
Fortinbras
Posts: 2917
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#730

Post by Fortinbras » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:37 pm

At first, it appeared that the talk about Trump wanting to buy Greenland was a joke, then it appeared that Trump himself had been pranked into taking this seriously. Now it appears that Trump won't let go of the idea notwithstanding both Denmark and the inhabitant of Greenland are against the sale.

IF the US should acquire Greenland, a lot of its inhabitants would move to Denmark itself rather than give up their socialized medicine and peacetime military. But some Greenlanders would stay for the transfer, anticipating that they would automatically and instantly become US citizens and thereby able to move to much warmer places, like Florida and Hawaii.

Trump would be gratified at an influx of thousands of Danes - nice, educated, healthy, many of them English-speaking, white folk. Trump has shown a fascination with Nordic immigration. American high schools would probably be able (and be required) to add Danish to their foreign language offerings.

But these new Americans would want socialized medicine ... and lot of other socialized things. And they'd be disinclined to become the Cops of the World and some other things that US voters have become used to.

User avatar
Dan1100
Posts: 3470
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#731

Post by Dan1100 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:33 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:37 pm
At first, it appeared that the talk about Trump wanting to buy Greenland was a joke, then it appeared that Trump himself had been pranked into taking this seriously. Now it appears that Trump won't let go of the idea notwithstanding both Denmark and the inhabitant of Greenland are against the sale.

IF the US should acquire Greenland, a lot of its inhabitants would move to Denmark itself rather than give up their socialized medicine and peacetime military. But some Greenlanders would stay for the transfer, anticipating that they would automatically and instantly become US citizens and thereby able to move to much warmer places, like Florida and Hawaii.

Trump would be gratified at an influx of thousands of Danes - nice, educated, healthy, many of them English-speaking, white folk. Trump has shown a fascination with Nordic immigration. American high schools would probably be able (and be required) to add Danish to their foreign language offerings.

But these new Americans would want socialized medicine ... and lot of other socialized things. And they'd be disinclined to become the Cops of the World and some other things that US voters have become used to.
Most of the people who live in Greenland are Inuit (read Eskimo) not white, speak Greenlandic (an Inuit language) as their first language and Danish as their second language, can already move to Spain or the South of France if they want to get out of the cold, and at least some are well armed because of the polar bears.

If I had to guess, all the Inuit would stay, Greenland would declare independence, and they would fight rather than be sold.
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

User avatar
Whatever4
Posts: 12130
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:36 am
Location: Mainely in the plain
Occupation: Visiting doctors.

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#732

Post by Whatever4 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:59 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:23 pm
Gregg wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:04 pm
I'm still thinking about banging Liz Hurley, too. And I have a better chance of her paying for the dinner than Trump does of buying Greenland.
Been there, done that. It's not all it's cracked up to be.
Your track record with Brits is looking pretty bad.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

User avatar
Hurtzi
Posts: 377
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:52 am

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#733

Post by Hurtzi » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:21 am

Dan1100 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:33 pm
Fortinbras wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:37 pm
At first, it appeared that the talk about Trump wanting to buy Greenland was a joke, then it appeared that Trump himself had been pranked into taking this seriously. Now it appears that Trump won't let go of the idea notwithstanding both Denmark and the inhabitant of Greenland are against the sale.

IF the US should acquire Greenland, a lot of its inhabitants would move to Denmark itself rather than give up their socialized medicine and peacetime military. But some Greenlanders would stay for the transfer, anticipating that they would automatically and instantly become US citizens and thereby able to move to much warmer places, like Florida and Hawaii.

Trump would be gratified at an influx of thousands of Danes - nice, educated, healthy, many of them English-speaking, white folk. Trump has shown a fascination with Nordic immigration. American high schools would probably be able (and be required) to add Danish to their foreign language offerings.

But these new Americans would want socialized medicine ... and lot of other socialized things. And they'd be disinclined to become the Cops of the World and some other things that US voters have become used to.
Most of the people who live in Greenland are Inuit (read Eskimo) not white, speak Greenlandic (an Inuit language) as their first language and Danish as their second language, can already move to Spain or the South of France if they want to get out of the cold, and at least some are well armed because of the polar bears.

If I had to guess, all the Inuit would stay, Greenland would declare independence, and they would fight rather than be sold.
No way that Denmark would even think about selling a part of the Kingdom. There would be the European Court in Strasbourg as well.

Otoh Greenlanders are lovers, not fighters. Inuit people are extremely peaceful when sober.
The "water bear" is the first creature to live on the moon.

User avatar
neonzx
Posts: 6110
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:27 am

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#734

Post by neonzx » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:57 am

Danish PM: Trump’s idea of buying Greenland is ‘absurd’
Greenland is not for sale and U.S. President Donald Trump’s idea of buying the semi-autonomous Danish territory in the Arctic from Denmark is “an absurd discussion,” Denmark’s prime minister said.
...
Mette Frederiksen, who was visiting the world’s largest island to meet Premier Kim Kielsen, told reporters: “Greenland is not Danish. Greenland is Greenlandic. I persistently hope that this is not something that is seriously meant.”
...
Thankfully, the time where you buy and sell other countries and populations is over. Let’s leave it there. Jokes aside, we will of course love to have an even closer strategic relationship with the United States,” Frederiksen said.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

DrIrvingFinegarten
Posts: 682
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#735

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:12 am

Here's a not-so-smart person trying to explain why buying Greenland isn't such a stupid idea.


User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 9859
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#736

Post by Chilidog » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:16 am

The hypocrisy in this is that the only reason anyone associated with Trump would want own Greenland is because of its potential future as climate change progresses.

User avatar
RTH10260
Posts: 21747
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Near the Swiss Alps

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#737

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:17 am

Anyone where the US turns up as a buyer will make their due dilligence test and come up with the conclusion that the debt level is not suggestive that they could pay cash for a purchase. Of course there is always the Rumsfeld conclusion that Iraq will pay for their invasion. Greenlanders will surely appreciate their new colonialist owners wish to plunder their resources.

User avatar
pipistrelle
Posts: 6711
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#738

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:22 am

I have little interest in the opinion of Greenland government officials or of the head of the Greenland Business Association.
Coincidentally, I have no interest in the blathering of this guy.

User avatar
Gregg
Posts: 2884
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:09 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH USA
Occupation: We build cars

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#739

Post by Gregg » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:52 am

Fortinbras wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:37 pm
At first, it appeared that the talk about Trump wanting to buy Greenland was a joke, then it appeared that Trump himself had been pranked into taking this seriously. Now it appears that Trump won't let go of the idea notwithstanding both Denmark and the inhabitant of Greenland are against the sale.

IF the US should acquire Greenland, a lot of its inhabitants would move to Denmark itself rather than give up their socialized medicine and peacetime military. But some Greenlanders would stay for the transfer, anticipating that they would automatically and instantly become US citizens and thereby able to move to much warmer places, like Florida and Hawaii.

Trump would be gratified at an influx of thousands of Danes - nice, educated, healthy, many of them English-speaking, white folk. Trump has shown a fascination with Nordic immigration. American high schools would probably be able (and be required) to add Danish to their foreign language offerings.

But these new Americans would want socialized medicine ... and lot of other socialized things. And they'd be disinclined to become the Cops of the World and some other things that US voters have become used to.
Get Denmark to start taking in as many people as they can from Central America first.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

User avatar
ZekeB
Posts: 15911
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Northwest part of Semi Blue State

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#740

Post by ZekeB » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:50 am

“It would be a great real estate deal.” Typical trump. It’s all about the real estate and the people don’t matter. Why would the citizens of Greenland want to be a part of a country with a constitution that allows people of trump’s calibre to serve as president?
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

User avatar
SLQ
Posts: 2906
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:33 am

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#741

Post by SLQ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:03 am

And the walk-back begins (along with some mafia-like threats and face saving). In this video, as the twitter headline says, he does say
Well, a lot of things can be done, I mean, essentially it's a large real estate deal. A lot of things could be done
As though buying a country and a population, as Denmark's PM said, is just buying real estate and not ridiculous. He also says three times that "we protect Denmark," because, yeah, it'd be a shame if something were to happen to your precious Greenland over there. He also downplays it:
Well, Greenland, I don't know, it got released somehow. It's just something we talked about.
:snippity:
It's not number one on the burner, I can tell you that.
:snippity:
Note the interesting flip, not just from previous reports, but from the first part of this sentence to the rest:
In fact, I'm supposed to stop, I'm thinking about going there, I'm not necessarily definitely going there, but I may be going, we're going to Poland and then we may be going to Denmark, not for this reason at all. But, uh [shrugs shoulders], we're looking at it, it's not number one on the burner.
I'm guessing there ain't no way he is going to Denmark at this point. They might have protests or something. Maybe even get a trump baby baloon.

One other thing I found interesting is that he says Denmark is "losing $700 million a year, carrying it," giving this as a reason "we're looking into it." Right, because it makes sense for Trump to want to buy another island territory with a lot of brown native people that he loves giving money to. Like. Puerto. Rico.



President Trump acknowledges discussing the U.S. potentially buying Greenland: "Essentially, it's a large real estate deal" http://cbsnews.com/live

Edit: clarity, typos
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

User avatar
tek
Posts: 3603
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Happy Valley, MA
Occupation: Damned if I know

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#742

Post by tek » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:45 pm

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senior White House officials are discussing the possibility of a temporary payroll tax cut in an effort to boost the economy in the face of a potential slowdown, the Washington Post reported on Monday, citing three people familiar with the discussions.
There's no way back
from there to here

User avatar
SLQ
Posts: 2906
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:33 am

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#743

Post by SLQ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:54 pm

tek wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:45 pm
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senior White House officials are discussing the possibility of a temporary payroll tax cut in an effort to boost the economy in the face of a potential slowdown, the Washington Post reported on Monday, citing three people familiar with the discussions.
Oh yeah. Make the people think they are getting more money in each paycheck, only to get hit owing in April (six months before the election). That should work.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

User avatar
MN-Skeptic
Posts: 2815
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:36 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#744

Post by MN-Skeptic » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:09 pm

SLQ wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:54 pm
Oh yeah. Make the people think they are getting more money in each paycheck, only to get hit owing in April (six months before the election). That should work.
No, it would be a temporary reduction in social security taxes like what was done under Obama during the Great Recession.

Need I add... Trump is an idiot.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 44727
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Over the drawbridge

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#745

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:12 pm

:shh:

User avatar
RTH10260
Posts: 21747
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Near the Swiss Alps

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#746

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:29 pm

SLQ wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:03 am
:snippity:

https:// twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1163189748300734464?s=20

President Trump acknowledges discussing the U.S. potentially buying Greenland: "Essentially, it's a large real estate deal" http://cbsnews.com/live

Edit: clarity, typos
Just some thoughts, 0.02CHF of them:

Dotus once again forgets that his words are not only heard in the USA but worldwide. And all will see how he thinks its a plain real estate deal and no one asks the tenants opinion. It just doesn't wouldn't like that.

First of course in Greenland where there would be a referendum to see if anyone even would consider to switch their association from Denmark to the USA. Even then there will be a referendum in Denmark to confirm the proposed deal. The US emissaries would have to speak to the Greenlanders themselves, dotus cannot just speak with Denmarks PM over coffefe and chocolate cake and the deal is fixed. What if Greenland would not just want to become another possesion like Puerto Rico but a full fledged state with voting representation in Congress?

Then the rest of the world, especially the "Third World" countries owned by former colonial powers. They will see not a potential allie but a new colonial power in the US, who buys countries will also sell them off without asking the opinions of the locals. Russia and China now have a talking point to discourage any alignment of countries in their sphere of interest, the US is out left field. Maybe Afghanistans government in Kabul needs to rethink their position while the US is selling them out to the Taliban.

User avatar
pipistrelle
Posts: 6711
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:26 am

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#747

Post by pipistrelle » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:40 pm

Why Greenland? Did he overhear something about geothermal power?

Why not buy Canada? It's closer, it has resources, and it would make Alaska contiguous. And it would get rid of Trudeau, who has the audacity to be younger, athletic, and better looking.

User avatar
Estiveo
Posts: 8041
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Trouble's Howse

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#748

Post by Estiveo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:58 pm

68752197_2356773234538477_7227785602404450304_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image Image Image Image

User avatar
Dolly
Posts: 14070
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#749

Post by Dolly » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:11 pm

This article does contain a lot of the info posted already. The first reports I read about this purchase mentioned Trump's interests in their resources.
Trump postpones meeting with Denmark's leader over Greenland comments
...................
Trump was scheduled to visit Denmark on Sept. 2 following a trip to Poland. The president was expected to meet with the Queen of Denmark, other leaders and business officials.

He was also expected to meet Greenland's prime minister, Kim Kielsen.

But the trip was complicated last week after it was reported that Trump had floated the possibility of purchasing Greenland.
................
Still, Trump said Sunday that he'd be interested in the island for strategic purposes. He said he would broach the subject with Danish leaders, but that the purchase was "not number one on the burner."
.......
A senior administration official said last week that they were "fairly certain" the reason for the meeting was not so Trump could discuss the Greenland purchase with Danish leaders, and Trump confirmed as much on Sunday.

The U.S. Air Force has a base in Northern Greenland that is roughly 750 miles south of the North Pole. It is the country's northernmost Air Force base, and serves as part of an early warning system to detect ballistic missiles.
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... -greenland
Off Topic
Years ago, I worked with a woman whose husband was stationed in Thule, Greenland. She pronounced it "too-lee" and told me it was the origin of the expression "out in the "toolies".
In classical and medieval literature, ultima Thule (Latin "farthermost Thule") acquired a metaphorical meaning of any distant place located beyond the "borders of the known world". ..
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thule
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Dave at Sea
Posts: 515
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:48 am
Location: Sand Sun Surf
Occupation: Busy

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

#750

Post by Dave at Sea » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:51 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-21/ ... s/11434302

Donald Trump postpones meeting with Danish Prime Minister because she has 'no interest' in selling Greenland

Key points:
Denmark's Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said the idea of selling Greenland to the United States was absurd
Mr Trump said Ms Frederiksen had saved both nations "a great deal of expense and effort" by being so direct
Mr Trump previously acknowledged he was "strategically" interested in the deal

Post Reply

Return to “Trump Administration”