The Fractally Clueless White House

pipistrelle

Re: The Fractally Clueless White House

Post by pipistrelle » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:06 pm

It’s Miller. But seriously. Can this even happen?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:07 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:02 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:41 am
RTH10260 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:05 am

Nice, NOT, from the guy who skipped the Vietnam war, intending to evict their former allies.
This is truly evil. :madguy:
It's so evil that I cannot think that Trump has the mental capacity to bring up this idea on his own. :brickwallsmall:
It stinks of Stephen Miller.
“A black woman can invent something for the benefit of humankind.” -Bessie Blount-Griffin, physical therapist, inventor of devices for disabled WWII veterans, and forensic scientist.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:54 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:07 pm
RTH10260 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:02 pm
Volkonski wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:41 am

This is truly evil. :madguy:
It's so evil that I cannot think that Trump has the mental capacity to bring up this idea on his own. :brickwallsmall:
It stinks of Stephen Miller.
Yes. It. Does.

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:05 pm

BuzzFeed News: The US Wants To Keep Deporting Vietnamese Refugees But Admits Vietnam Won't Take Them

A Trump administration official said the US had reached a new agreement with Vietnam to take deportees who arrived before 1995, but then backed away from the claim.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:06 pm

Addie wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:05 pm
BuzzFeed News: The US Wants To Keep Deporting Vietnamese Refugees But Admits Vietnam Won't Take Them

A Trump administration official said the US had reached a new agreement with Vietnam to take deportees who arrived before 1995, but then backed away from the claim.
BuzzFeedNews wrote:"We will indeed continue to seek to remove the pre-1995 population," a spokesperson with the department told BuzzFeed News.
It's also called ethnical cleansing .... :blackeye:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:13 pm

The Atlantic article mentioned in article above
Trump Moves to Deport Vietnam War Refugees
The White House again wants to expel certain groups of protected immigrants, a reversal after backing away from the policy months ago.

CHARLES DUNSTKRISHNADEV CALAMUR
DEC 12, 2018
Updated at 10:20 a.m. on December 13, 2018.

The Trump administration is resuming its efforts to deport certain protected Vietnamese immigrants who have lived in the United States for decades—many of them having fled the country during the Vietnam War.

This is the latest move in the president’s long record of prioritizing harsh immigration and asylum restrictions, and one that’s sure to raise eyebrows—the White House had hesitantly backed off the plan in August before reversing course. In essence, the administration has now decided that Vietnamese immigrants who arrived in the country before the establishment of diplomatic ties between the United States and Vietnam are subject to standard immigration law—meaning they are all eligible for deportation.

The new stance mirrors White House efforts to clamp down on immigration writ large, a frequent complaint of the president’s on the campaign trail and one he links to a litany of ills in the United States.

The administration last year began pursuing the deportation of many long-term immigrants from Vietnam, Cambodia, and other countries who the administration alleges are “violent criminal aliens.” But Washington and Hanoi have a unique 2008 agreement that specifically bars the deportation of Vietnamese people who arrived in the United States before July 12, 1995—the date the two former foes reestablished diplomatic relations following the Vietnam War.

The White House unilaterally reinterpreted the agreement in the spring of 2017 to exempt people convicted of crimes from its protections, allowing the administration to send back a small number of pre-1995 Vietnamese immigrants, a policy it retreated from this past August. Last week, however, James Thrower, a spokesperson for the U.S. embassy in Hanoi, said the American government was again reversing course.

Washington now believes that the 2008 agreement fails to protect pre-1995 Vietnamese immigrants from deportation, Thrower told The Atlantic. This would apply to such migrants who are either undocumented or have committed crimes, and this interpretation would not apply to those who have become American citizens.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... es/577993/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:53 pm

crossposting a post of Mr. V and highlighting differently
Volkonski wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:58 pm
Damian Paletta @damianpaletta

NEW in the White House's scramble to fix mistakes in their shutdown plans: HUD officials failed to renew housing contracts before a Jan. 1 deadline, putting thousands of tenants at risk.
https://t.co/DVDFoWH58Z
The Department of Housing and Urban Development sent letters to 1,500 landlords Friday as part of a last-minute effort to prevent the eviction of thousands of tenants. A lot of those tenants live in units covered by a HUD program that many agency officials didn’t realize had expired on Jan. 1 and that they are now unable to renew.

The letters instruct the landlords to use their reserve accounts so that no one is evicted, HUD spokesman Jereon Brown said. He said the budget and contract staff are “scouring for money” to figure out how to fund the contracts on an interim basis.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:02 am

Ben Carson sees that as a feature, not a bug.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:23 am

"Didn't realize," my ass.
ImageImageImage x4

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:56 am

Chilidog wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:02 am
Ben Carson sees that as a feature, not a bug.
Exactly. Many of the Departments that are shutdown have a Trump appointed head that is ecstatic about the fact their department can not operate. That is what Trump means by "they support the shutdown". He simply fails to mention they are the Cabinet members whose objective always has been to impede the normal operations of the department they oversee.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:41 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:23 am
"Didn't realize," my ass.
:yeah:
In the day and age of computers one might assume that even with aging federal IT infrastructure the workers would have received a notice a few months in advance that some contracts are expiring. Either to renew them or get the tenants depending on subsidies into other housing. :brickwallsmall:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:57 am

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show ... d_ms_tw_ma
One year ago this month, the Trump administration’s Justice Department and the Department of Homeland Security issued a report with an unsubtle title: “Protecting the Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry Into the United States.” The document insisted, among other things, that three-quarters of the people convicted on international terrorism charges in the U.S. were foreign born.

In other words, if we want to stop terrorism, we’re going to have to stop dangerous immigrants.

It wasn’t long, however, before people started reading the report and noticing some rather flamboyant deceptions. In order to arrive at their conclusions, for example, Trump administration officials counted people accused of committing terrorist acts on foreign soil, but who were brought to the United States for prosecution. The administration also arbitrarily decided to exclude instances of domestic terrorism, despite their severity.

The Justice Department eventually acknowledged errors and deficiencies in the findings, but as the Washington Post reported, “officials declined to retract or correct the document.”
That’s a problem, of course, but it’s an even bigger problem that Donald Trump and his team continue to use fear of terrorism as a justification for a giant border wall.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:04 pm

another crosspost of a post by Mr. V.
Volkonski wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:22 pm
Trump Literally Did Not Understand What a Shutdown Would Do

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/01/ ... -know.html
Just as Trump did not expect to win the election and neglected to plan for his transition, he shut down the government on a whim, after right-wing media complained about his plan to approve a government funding bill. Nobody in the administration had a clear understanding of just what a shutdown would entail. Two devastating reports in the Washington Post over the weekend detail the horrifying scope of their ignorance. The administration did not realize that 38 million Americans lose their food stamps under a shutdown, nor did it know that thousands of tenants would face eviction without assistance from the Department of Housing and Urban Development.

Administration officials “recognized only this week the breadth of the potential impact,” reports the Post, and was “focused now on understanding the scope of the consequences and determining whether there is anything they can do to intervene.” First Trump shut down the government, and then the Trump administration started looking into what effect this would have.
:snippity:

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:16 pm

I am snipping and highlighting the cringe worthy portions (IMO).
Trump trade chief changes terminology after president contradicts him

President Trump's top trade negotiator agreed Friday to modify the terminology he uses about a trade agreement with China after the president contradicted him in an Oval Office meeting.

The debate between Trump and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer over the meaning of a so-called memorandum of understanding, or MOU, played out in front of cameras.

Trump, Lighthizer and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin were among those in attendance for a televised discussion with a Chinese trade delegation about ways to try to end an economic feud with Beijing.
Trump told reporters they would “be very short term. I don’t like MOUs because they don’t mean anything. To me, they don’t mean anything.”

“An MOU is a binding agreement between two people,” Lighthizer responded.
Turning to members of the news media assembled in the Oval Office, he continued, “It’s detailed. It covers everything in great detail. It’s a legal term. It’s a contract.”

“By the way I disagree,” Trump fired back. “We’re doing a memorandum of understanding that will be put into a final contact, I assume. But to me, the final contract is really the thing Bob, and I think you mean that too, is really the thing that means something. A memorandum of understanding is exactly that, it’s a memorandum of what our understanding is.”

“The real question is, Bob … how long will it take to put that into a final binding contract?”
Chinese Vice Premier Liu He laughed as the exchange carried on. <SNIP>
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... -president

a tweet with video at the link. I am NOT getting any audio so I didn't post it here.
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:30 pm

Dolly wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:16 pm
I am snipping and highlighting the cringe worthy portions (IMO).
Trump trade chief changes terminology after president contradicts him

:snippity:
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... -president

a tweet with video at the link. I am NOT getting any audio so I didn't post it here.
IOW the trade delegations of the US and of China have presented the final results of the trade discussions fixed in the MOU. Teh Donald ought to have affirmed that these in effect were the results he was asking for. But :doh: dotus goes off on his construction business understanding of a MOU, well, we might erect a structure along these lines, but in the final contract I will say what I all want to have done, differently of course. :brickwallsmall:

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:01 pm

Trump shows his ignorance and looks the fool to other world leaders and treaty negotiators. What an absolute embarrassment.
MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:31 pm

The Chinese are laughing at how stupid he is.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:54 am

Chilidog wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:31 pm
The Chinese are entire world is laughing at how stupid he is.
FIFY
Birfers are toast

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed May 08, 2019 6:47 pm

I am posting this here cuz I am tired of looking for another thread. :twisted:
Trump officials target authority of judges to issue national injunctions

Vice President Pence on Wednesday announced that the administration will challenge the ability of federal district court judges to issue nation-wide injunctions that halt policies advocated by President Trump.

The administration's move – aimed at pushing back at unfavorable decisions from lower courts across the country – would set the stage for a vast legal debate and battle over the role that national injunctions play in the courts.

Pence argued to supporters at an event hosted by the conservative Federalist Society that the Trump administration has been “unfairly” targeted by injunctions issued by lower courts, saying the rulings have prevented officials from implementing policies and regulations.

The vice president said that in the coming days, administration officials will seek pathways to put the issue before the Supreme Court.

“So I say to all those gathered here, for the sake of our liberty, our security, our prosperity and the separation of powers, this era of judicial activism must come to an end,” Pence said. “The Supreme Court of the United States must clarify that district judges can decide no more than the cases before them.”

“It’s remarkable to think a Supreme Court justice has to convince four of their colleagues to uphold an injunction, but a single district court judge can issue one, effectively preventing the duly elected president of the United States from fulfilling what he believes is a constitutional duty,” Pence said.

“This obstruction at the district level is unprecedented,” he added.
< SNIP >

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-ba ... s-to-issue
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed May 08, 2019 7:34 pm

So what happens when they just ignore decisions they don't like?

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu May 09, 2019 11:49 am

You'd think there'd be at least one proofreader in the (white) house.
ImageImageImage x4

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu May 09, 2019 11:59 am

Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:49 am
:brickwallsmall:

Do we know yet if they'll be served cold burgers and fries?

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu May 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Kendra wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:59 am
Slim Cognito wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:49 am
:brickwallsmall:

Do we know yet if they'll be served cold burgers and fries?
I was wondering that. If they are, they'll be skewered, and rightly so, and if they serve actual food, they'll be accused of playing favorites.

They're screwed either way and I'm good with that.
ImageImageImage x4

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu May 09, 2019 7:36 pm

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/11 ... 4125371392
First, the White House calls them the “Red Socks.” Now, they seem to be the “World Cup Series Champions”

Return to “Trump Administration”