President Trump

RTH10260

Re: President Trump

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:03 pm

GreatGrey wrote:Right now the United States has no ambassadors. Anywhere.
yes:
As many as 80 ambassadors for countries, agencies and issues - such as the ambassador for global women's issues - have been discarded at once.

The move now threatens leaving many countries without Senate-confirmed envoys for months and cutting off a direct line to the President, and some in countries which have sensitive relations to the US.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 38256.html

And I know of only one designated new ambassdor, for the UK:
Trump taps NY Jets' owner as UK ambassador
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/19/polit ... index.html

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:13 pm

noblepa wrote:
RoadScholar wrote: "Well, you know, it's a good thing we still have those 'second amendment solutions,' like Sarah Palin talked about."

After I let them sputter a bit, I tell them "I wasn't serious... I in no way support violence against people in government, or anywhere. But how did it feel? That moment when someone implied a hypothetical assassination of your president, just like your guys did to ours?"

The Golden Rule sometimes needs a mirror.
The trouble is, those people will never see or understand the hypocrisy. They will merely see your use of the phrase "second amendment solutions" as proof that that is the correct way to engage in political discourse. "Everybody does it".
That would be true if I just let it lie there, as though I were serious. That I can't do. I always follow up with the contextualizing disclaimer.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:14 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
GreatGrey wrote:Right now the United States has no ambassadors. Anywhere.
yes:
As many as 80 ambassadors for countries, agencies and issues - such as the ambassador for global women's issues - have been discarded at once.

The move now threatens leaving many countries without Senate-confirmed envoys for months and cutting off a direct line to the President, and some in countries which have sensitive relations to the US.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 38256.html

And I know of only one designated new ambassdor, for the UK:
Trump taps NY Jets' owner as UK ambassador
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/19/polit ... index.html
Mr Trump’s first wife, Ivana Trump, has reportedly expressed her interest in becoming ambassador for the Czech Republic.
In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:16 pm

There are competent State Department officers in most or all of those embassies. They do not have the money or the celebrity status of the ambassadors that Trump will appoint, but they will represent the U.S.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Pompeed

Post by Pompeed » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:20 pm

May we have a moment of silence, please.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my Country was assassinated today.

It's already past the time to get out.

PatGund

Post by PatGund » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:23 pm

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:27 pm

TollandRCR wrote:There are competent State Department officers in most or all of those embassies. They do not have the money or the celebrity status of the ambassadors that Trump will appoint, but they will represent the U.S.
Yup - but iirc they usually have little competence, espcially they would not act without instructions, while the ambassador can go ahead and implement government policies.
Wikipedia wrote:A chargé d'affaires (French pronunciation: ​[ʃaʁʒe dafɛʁ]), often shortened to chargé (French) and sometimes to charge-D (abbreviated in colloquial English), is a diplomat who heads an embassy in the absence of the ambassador. The term is French for "charged with (in charge of) matters". A female diplomat may be designated a chargée d'affaires, following French declension.
A chargé enjoys the same privileges and immunities as a regular ambassador. However, chargés d'affaires are outranked by ambassadors and have lower precedence at formal diplomatic events.[1] In most cases, a diplomat would only serve as a chargé d'affaires on a temporary basis in the absence of the ambassador. In unusual situations, a chargé d'affaires may be appointed for an indefinite period, in cases where disputes between the two countries make it impossible or undesirable to send agents of a higher diplomatic rank.

Judge Mental

Post by Judge Mental » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:30 pm

TollandRCR wrote:There are competent State Department officers in most or all of those embassies. They do not have the money or the celebrity status of the ambassadors that Trump will appoint, but they will represent the U.S.
.....and they have always done most of the work anyway even when the Ambassador is there :-D

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Judge Mental wrote:
.....and they have always done most of the work anyway even when the Ambassador is there :-D
But they all have been contaminated by 8 years of the Obama State Department and Secretary Clinton.
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:46 pm

Jay Franzone Verified account
‏@JayFranzone

It’s only been 25 min and the Dept. of Labor’s report on Advancing LGBT Workplace Rights has been taken down.
https://www.dol.gov/asp/policy-developm ... report.pdf
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Some of the permanent State Department staff have been faced with enormous challenges, such as Joseph Kennedy's willingness to deal with Hitler while serving as FDR's Ambassador to the Court of St. James.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:47 pm

PatGund wrote: :snippity: for space
:rotflmao:

But I truly wish this is what he is really doing today. I don't even want to hear what the Executive Orders are about. :notlistening: :nooo: How many think he will outpace pretty much every modern day president in number of executive orders signed :mememe:

OK, another serious question - how many believe he will embarrass himself by putting out executive orders that have to be "rescinded" because he's attempting to do something beyond what is allowed for an EO?

Funny or Die has this photo with a caption: President Trump breezing through stacks of EO's the way you agree to new iTunes terms and conditions.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:53 pm

The new President couldn't be bothered to do much of what is expected during the transition, but he sure did plan ahead to dismantle all past attempts to extend basic human rights to non-white, non-Christian, non-heterosexual, etc. No surprises here, either, I'm afraid.

I should have stayed home today. And drank. Alcohol.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:00 pm

:rotflmao:

Politico
First White House petition demands Trump release tax returns

The “We the People” petition site created by the Obama Administration has been kept live by President Donald Trump’s team as it relaunches the White House website, and the only petition now on the site, which has been wiped clean of Obama-era requests, demands that the new commander in chief release his tax returns.

“The unprecedented economic conflicts of this administration need to be visible to the American people, including any pertinent documentation which can reveal the foreign influences and financial interests which may put Donald Trump in conflict with the emoluments clause of the Constitution,” the petition reads.

Trump’s taxes were a key issue during the 2016 presidential campaign. Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Democrats repeatedly pointed out that Trump, by not releasing his taxes, defied his own pledge and the precedents of major party nominees going back decades. Trump has said that he is being audited by the IRS and that he will release his returns when any audits are over.

The petition calling for Trump to publish his returns gathered 2,762 signatures in the first three hours after Trump was inaugurated. The current site policy calls for petitions that get over 100,000 signatures to get a response from the White House.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:05 pm

Addie wrote::rotflmao:

Politico
First White House petition demands Trump release tax returns

The “We the People” petition site created by the Obama Administration has been kept live by President Donald Trump’s team as it relaunches the White House website, and the only petition now on the site, which has been wiped clean of Obama-era requests, demands that the new commander in chief release his tax returns.

“The unprecedented economic conflicts of this administration need to be visible to the American people, including any pertinent documentation which can reveal the foreign influences and financial interests which may put Donald Trump in conflict with the emoluments clause of the Constitution,” the petition reads.

Trump’s taxes were a key issue during the 2016 presidential campaign. Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Democrats repeatedly pointed out that Trump, by not releasing his taxes, defied his own pledge and the precedents of major party nominees going back decades. Trump has said that he is being audited by the IRS and that he will release his returns when any audits are over.

The petition calling for Trump to publish his returns gathered 2,762 signatures in the first three hours after Trump was inaugurated. The current site policy calls for petitions that get over 100,000 signatures to get a response from the White House.
I keep trying to sign the petition but am getting an error message to try later. Is that because it's overrun with signers?
Goldie reports the party a success and all zombies inebriated eliminated.
ImageImageImage x4

bloP

Post by bloP » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:08 pm

I'm having the same issue. On both available petitions. And the total signature counts for each haven't increased since I started trying...

Pompeed

Post by Pompeed » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:13 pm

bloP wrote:I'm having the same issue. On both available petitions. And the total signature counts for each haven't increased since I started trying...

Same problem of the system being over-run. Tried again in a few minutes and got both signed.

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:14 pm

Same here. Can it be that the new white house is having technical problems that involve not releasing Donnies tax returns?
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:16 pm

It's up to over 5900 signatures now. I am actually terrified to sign with my real name and an email address that I currently use. I have an old one that I rarely use and it uses a "name" that doesn't give a clue to my identity. I never have been concerned about signing petitions before and have always done it under my own real name. Now, I am even more angry. :evil:
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Edit: Actually I misread it. Its the amount needed that's written there
And I just got this message from my Anti-virus.

"Access to this website has been revoked as the following certificate has been revoked - api.whitehouse.gov"

Can it be that the Whitehouse has been infected with a Russian virus hack? Or has been declared a risky website?

What the fuck is going on in the Whitehouse? Well they probably don't have any staff there right now...
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm

I signed the petition with an old email account I rarely use. I was directed that I have to go to my Inbox and click the link to verify. But...there is no email to click the link to verify. I have signed other petitions on this White House page and they always worked before.
Edit: Something very strange is going on. When I first went to that petition, it had over 5,900 signatures. I successfully signed it, but never got the link to verify my email address. Now, it is down to 4,965.

Edit again - It's now up again - 7569. I think it's getting hit fairly hard now.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:29 pm

RVInit wrote:I signed the petition with an old email account I rarely use. I was directed that I have to go to my Inbox and click the link to verify. But...there is no email to click the link to verify. I have signed other petitions on this White House page and they always worked before.
Edit: Something very strange is going on. When I first went to that petition, it had over 5,900 signatures. I successfully signed it, but never got the link to verify my email address. Now, it is down to 4,965.
I have the same problem with the e-mail verify issue.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:26 pm

It had 10,080 sigs a few minutes ago.
Democracy is a garden that has to be tended. -Barack Obama

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Trump’s WhiteHouse.Gov Disappears Civil Rights, Climate Change, LGBT Rights
WhiteHouse.gov immediately wiped pages on LGBT rights, civil rights, climate change, and health care from its “issues” section after Donald Trump took the oath of office.

The page on climate change was replaced with a page entitled “An America First Energy Plan” that ignores climate change entirely and says, “President Trump is committed to eliminating harmful and unnecessary policies such as the Climate Action Plan and the Waters of the U.S. rule.”

The new “America First Foreign Policy” page made no mention of Russia or China, instead discussing the defeat of ISIS and the renegotiation of NAFTA and other trade deals. “If our partners refuse a renegotiation that gives American workers a fair deal, then the President will give notice of the United States’ intent to withdraw from NAFTA,” the page read. The same language was repeated on the new “Trade Deals Working for All Americans” page on Whitehouse.gov.

The page on civil rights was replaced with a page entitled “Standing Up For Our Law Enforcement Community” that replaces concerns with how police act with a demand for more cops. It also paints predominantly black inner cities as shooting galleries.
“In our nation’s capital, killings have risen by 50 percent,” the page claims, which is false: homicides in Washington, D.C. were down in 2016 over 2015.
Whitehouse.gov.http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ights.html
Birfers are toast

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:46 pm

On Melania's page you'll find you can buy her trinkets on QVC.
In the Trump era anything is true if enough people believe it.

Return to “Trump Administration”