Rudy Giuliani

Kendra

Re: Rudy Giuliani

Post by Kendra »

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE DOESN'T APPLY TO PEOPLE WHO DON'T WORK IN THE EXECUTIVE BRANCH!

:explode:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Giuliani's current now former attorney is at Nelson Mullins, where Trey Gowdy is a partner.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

fierceredpanda wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:43 pm
EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE DOESN'T APPLY TO PEOPLE WHO DON'T WORK IN THE EXECUTIVE BRANCH!
:explode:
You forget they're living in Trump Administration Reality™ wherein:

Federal Judges are stupid and easily tricked.
It is easy to get the upper hand with the Chinese in trade negotiations.
All Middle East issues can be resolved by an inexperienced family member.
North Korea can be reasoned with.
Deficits don't matter.
Foreign Heads of State can be quickly bullied and bluffed into submission.
If the President does it, it's not illegal.

etc. etc. ad :sick:
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Time for Jon Sale's attorney to lawyer up.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Is the House going wuss on this or get serious with contempt charges?
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ex-rep-ses ... eakingnews
A grand jury has issued a subpoena related to Manhattan federal prosecutors’ investigation intoRudy Giuliani,seeking documents from former Rep. Pete Sessions about his dealings with President Trump’s personal lawyer and associates, according to people familiar with the matter.

The subpoena seeks documents related to Mr. Giuliani’s business dealings with Ukraine and his involvement in efforts to oust the U.S. ambassador in Kyiv, as well as any interactions between Mr. Sessions, Mr. Giuliani and four men who were indicted last week on campaign-finance and conspiracy accounts, the people said.

Mr. Sessions’ knowledge of Mr. Giuliani’s dealings is a primary focus of the subpoena, the people said. Mr. Giuliani has denied wrongdoing and said he has had no indication his actions are being investigated by prosecutors.

There also is no indication that Mr. Sessions is a target of the investigation. Mr. Sessions is a longtime friend of Mr. Giuliani whose interactions with two of Mr. Giuliani’s associates, Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, was detailed in the indictment unsealed last week.

Matt Mackowiak, a spokesman for Mr. Sessions, said he is cooperating with the Manhattan U.S. attorney’s office and would be “providing documents to their office related to this matter over the next couple of weeks as requested.”

fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Some House members are arguing that getting bogged down in inherent contempt and/or a court fight over Giuliani's non-compliance would be taking their eyes off the ball. I find this argument persuasive. Realistically, what documents could Giuliani provide that would be more damning than the transcript and whistleblower report, to say nothing of the testimony from people at the State Department who are ignoring Mike Pompeo and marching to the Hill? The more focused they become on Giuliani, the easier it will be for Republicans to turn this into another process fight that takes months to resolve a la Mazars, McGahn, the Mueller grand jury evidence, etc. Time is not on the Democrats' side here.

Moreover, turning up the heat on Giuliani also does Trump the favor of setting up Giuliani as the fall-guy for the whole rotten enterprise. I know some people here think Barr will rescue Giuliani or Trump will pardon him. I couldn't disagree more. Barr is loyal to Trump and Trump alone, and Trump is loyal only to himself. Pardoning Giuliani gains Trump nothing but more problems for a blatantly obstructive pardon. Barr calling off the dogs while there's this much attention will cause a flurry of leaks at SDNY and main Justice at a time when reports are coming out about displeasure inside the FBI about how their procedures for investigating these kinds of national security issues have been circumvented. And again, saving Giuliani benefits no one except Giuliani. Even in the event that Rudy has to flip to save himself, is the testimony of a crazy old man who rants on TV and spews nonsense with every breath really that much worse than what we'd hear from distinguished diplomats (and credible people) like Hill, Kent, or Yovanovich? I would suggest not.

Rudy is going to be indicted precisely because no one will believe him if he talks, and Republicans will fall in line to throw the weight for the whole scandal on Rudy in an attempt to exculpate Trump. So why help that cause by fighting it out with Rudy over ignoring a subpoena? It's only a matter of time before he takes Five anyway.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya, I can see where you are coming from, and generally agree. Gulianni is just a life support system for a mouth at this point, chasing him is a waste of time. He's pretty much admitted enough to indict him anyway.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Kendra wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:38 pm
IANAL, just an editor. From where I sit, these words have zero conviction or persuasion. If a fiction writer suggested this as a lawyer's response to a subpoena, I would tell them to go do some research.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

Volkonski wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:07 am
Rudy is likely hiding somewhere in the White House basement.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I really, really want to know the dates and times those airline tickets were purchased. Especially Rudy's.

fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

Kendra wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:45 am
I really, really want to know the dates and times those airline tickets were purchased. Especially Rudy's.
Eh? I don't know how much stock I put in the "they were flying to Vienna to flee from the law" theory. First, not all of them bolted. Second, if you're gonna hop a plane out of the country before the federal indictment comes down, you don't fly to a country like Austria that is in the EU, has an extradition agreement with the US, and is generally on board with the whole international law enforcement concept. Even if the plan had been to land in Vienna and travel elsewhere by other means, Rudy of all people would know it's a trivial thing for DOJ to telex the legal attache in Austria and have the local cops there to meet you at the gate when you land. If they'd had tickets to somewhere like Belize or Russia, on the other hand...

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Scott Stedman
@ScottMStedman
BREAKING: FBI *counterintelligence* agents have been probing Giuliani’s dealings for months
Scott Stedman
@ScottMStedman
·
36m
Replying to
@ScottMStedman
This fits with my reporting from 2 days ago that federal investigators were tracking *the money* behind Parnas and tracked it back to Kremlin sources.
Quote Tweet

Scott Stedman
@ScottMStedman
· Oct 14
Two federal sources have told me that Parnas is paid by Russian businessmen close to the Kremlin and state-owned Russian institutions. The sources were tracking the money long before Giuliani popped up. “We know who pays Parnas and it isn’t pretty”
Show this thread
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Scott's come out of nowhere (at least for me), he's been wrong on a few big scoops. I think he's interesting and worth watching but he's pretty much a one man band it seems so I'd look for a second source. No disrespect to Scott or following him, just saw some errors last month and wanted to point it out.

Rudy's been doing criminal things since 2016 at least... seems like it's just a matter of time until all this catches up with him. Good.
What you've heard about Mighty Spork is true. Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

As the subject of an ongoing criminal investigation, Rudy can't possibly be dumb enough to do this, can he???

Matthew
.@LindseyGrahamSC will send @RudyGiuliani a formal invitation to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee as early as today, he tells @MKhan47. Format - public or private - still TBD.

tek

Post by tek »

The only plan I can see here is that Linds figures Rudy will go completely nutso in his testimony, and that will give Linds and the rest of the GOP cover to try to pin all this on Rudy. Which DJT will gladly support.

But that's bonkers.
There's no way back
from there to here

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Axios:
Rebecca Falconer 1 hour ago
Perry tells WSJ Trump directed him to contact Giuliani on Ukraine

Energy Secretary Rick Perry told the Wall Street Journal Wednesday that President Trump directed him to contact Rudy Giuliani in the spring about alleged Ukraine corruption concerns. Why it matters: Per the WSJ, Perry's comments on the phone call he had with Trump's personal lawyer Giuliani concerning unsubstantiated allegations that Ukraine interfered in the 2016 U.S. election demonstrates "how closely the president’s personal lawyer worked with the administration on Ukraine policy."

Giuliani’s contact with Perry "adds another cabinet secretary to the list of officials he dealt with in his efforts to push for investigations in Ukraine, which he has said he did at the president’s behest." The big picture: The House Intelligence, Foreign Affairs and Oversight Committees have subpoenaed Perry to turn over documents by Oct. 18 as part of their investigation into President Trump's alleged efforts to push Ukraine to investigate 2020 candidate Joe Biden.

Perry's phone conversation with Giuliani took place well before Trump's July 25 call between with Zelenskiy that's at the center of the House impeachment inquiry. Perry stressed there was no mention by the president, Giuliani or anyone at the Trump administration about investigating the former vice president or his son Hunter Biden. The Journal reports that the purpose of the call between Perry and Giuliani was to look at setting up a meeting between Trump and new Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. What they're saying: Giuliani told the WSJ he just told Perry to "be careful" with regards to Zelensky. Trump was concerned the Ukrainians hadn't "straightened up their act."

Per the Journal, Giuliani "blamed Ukraine" during the phone call "for the dossier about Mr. Trump’s alleged ties to Russia that was created by a former British intelligence officer" and claimed that Ukraine had 2016 Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s email server and "'dreamed up' evidence that helped send former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort to jail."

"I don’t know whether that was crap or what, but I’m just saying there were three things that he said. That’s the reason the president doesn’t trust these guys."
— Perry to the WSJ
https://www.axios.com/wsj-trump-directe ... 5c1ea.html

:P
perry-taitz-web.jpg
Go Perry.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
What you've heard about Mighty Spork is true. Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" Fri 9/8c. TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

I've been crap with my NFL predictions, but I have a hunch Rudy and his story will go full Chernobyl pretty soon.

Strange the world we live in. Dorothy, you're not in New York City anymore.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby »

I would almost feel sorry for all these people caught up in Trump's corruption, but they knew damned well he was corrupt and incompetent. They were so focused on self-promotion that they didn't care who they signed up with. I hope that being in the Trump cabinet, or a Trump political appointee, becomes a thing of shame that destroys your career. I suspect some of them are starting to see that and are focused on saving themselves. Once Trump is out of office, I think a lot of Republicans who support him out of knee-jerk reaction will no longer want to claim him. To paraphrase a joke I once heard, he's going to be a one-night stand that the whole republican party is going to be ashamed of.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:yeah:

As Lawrence O' Donnell said last night, these folks have enabled Trump.

They are blinded by what most enablers are - magical thinking. "He won't go any further." " I know his heart. " " I can control his actions . " " He's smarter than you think. "

The press interviews with Marco Rubio and Lindsey Graham showed two very pale, anguished faces.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment:
The 19th Amendment was first introduced to Congress in 1878, yet it was not approved by Congress until 1919 – 41 years later.
- https://legaldictionary.net/19th-amendment/

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

stoppingby wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:19 am
To paraphrase a joke I once heard, he's going to be a one-night stand that the whole republican party is going to be ashamed of.
If any of them were capable of shame, they wouldn’t have put him in there in the first place. I don’t know what’s worse, really —a GOP that remains committed to Trumpism after Trump or a GOP that puts him down the memory hole and whitewashes his crimes like they did GWB’s

Re: Rudes and his subpoena—I just wish I felt like the Democrats could come up with as many reasons for doing a thing as they can for not doing something
“It was the worst of times, it was the worst of times.”
—Ali Smith, Autumn

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image Image

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:clap:

Return to “Trump Administration”