Talking Heads I ####### Can't Stand

TexasFilly

Talking Heads I ####### Can't Stand

Post by TexasFilly »

There are many of them, of course. But I'll start with Peter Baker. We mostly watch programming that's either recorded or on delay. I just cannot tolerate Peter Baker. We fast forward through his tine on any show.

Tweety : should have retired years ago. Lives in the 1970s. Thinks the Philly suburbs are the only place to analyze votes. Rude and never lets guests speak. And he farts on TV FFS!

Who triggers you?
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

p0rtia

Re: Talking Heads I ####### Can't Stand

Post by p0rtia »

Donnie Deutsch
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

p0rtia wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:54 pm
Donnie Deutsch
Oh yeah. And John Podhertz.

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeah:

JP uses his presence, his gentle, always slightly shocked voice, and non-threatening-sounding words to come off as reasonable and helpful. He is not. His message is fear-mongering and utterly dismissive of progressive positions.
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

all of them? i watch too little cable news to even know who many of them are, but my mom is an inveterate cnn watcher & whenever i visit her i grind my teeth at all the pointless yappers. like any decent person, tho, she won't watch fox so i have that going for me at least

i guess chris matthews & wolf blitzer have been annoying me the longest, so i'll give them top marks

(also i was bored with "psychokiller" years ago & was never much of a fan of naked)
“It was the worst of times, it was the worst of times.”
—Ali Smith, Autumn

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

My bete noir was always Mark Halperin. I was not at all sorry he got canned when he turned out to be a creepy harasser as well as a hypocritical jackass who accused President Obama of being mean to Republicans after referring to the very same President Obama as (and this is verbatim) "kind of a dick" on live television. Deutsch is annoying at times, although I do love most of his suits. (Sorry, fashion nerd. Can't help it.)

Chuck Todd has been unbearable for the last four years. He used to be one of my favorites circa 2007 or so, when he was filling the "resident numbers geek and policy wonk" role now filled by Steve Kornacki, who is awesome. Todd has become one of the absolute worst exponents of the "both sides" fallacy, and a poster child for laziness in broadcasting. On CNN, Krystal Ball frequently irritates me from the left. Peggy Noonan has always been the worst. Mrs. FRP and I joke that her whole shtick is proclaiming that whatever thoughts she has on a given day are the conventional wisdom of the vast majority of Americans. How she manages to look down her nose all day without getting her eyes crossed is beyond me.

I actually don't mind John Podhoretz. The man is a conservative, no doubt, but a reasonable one. He isn't going to agree with progressive positions, but he also is as horrified as anyone by Trump's persistent trampling of laws and norms. If you don't recognize him as an ally against Trump, you don't know a friend when you see one, IMO. Same for Jonah Goldberg these days - and he's someone I absolutely hated when I was an undergrad. If you want some truly obnoxious conservative talking heads, try Rich Lowry (his description of Sarah Palin's debate performance in 2008 might be the closest thing to erotic literature to ever appear in the National Review Online - seriously it's gross). Or there's always the estimable Dinesh D'Souza, who I am convinced is just acting out deliberate performance art at this point.

Let's not mistake principled conservatives/people with whom we disagree for truly awful commentators.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

krystal ball fascinates me because when i first saw her in '12 or '16 or whenever, i would've described her as a specific kind of technocratic centrist dem & now she seems to have reinvented herself as a fist-shaking leftie. in fact, she reminds me most of ed schultz—who's "common working man" shtick wasn't even good camp—and james carville, just another freelancer who's probably happy to believe anything if it pays enough.
fierceredpanda wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:14 pm
Let's not mistake principled conservatives/people with whom we disagree for truly awful commentators.
there are plenty of principled people with bad principles. what's worse—being a genial hack and grifter like jonah goldberg with a career that lets you fart out books like liberal fascism every couple of years or being a serious intellectual like david frum who's hands still drip with the blood of a region he helped destabilize but gets the respect because he says impolite things about donald trump? i don't think i'll ever have the luxury to find out
—Ali Smith, Autumn

realist

Post by realist »

Can't stand any of them so I don't watch any of them.
ImageX 4 ImageX36

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

:like:
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Chuck Todd and Ari Melber -- they aren't terribly bright. Todd even admitted recently that he didn't realize Trump and his enablers were such serious, serial liars all these years. :brickwallsmall: Melber blathers on just to hear his voice and thinks he is precious when he quotes rappers' hip hop. :roll: Apparently that's the only literature he knows.

But my favorite most disliked is Katie Phang. In 2018 she was gushing on MSNBC about how brilliant Michael Avenatti was for suing Cohen for defamation, blithely unaware of the anti-SLAPP laws available to Cohen. I commented on it at the time: http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... pp#p972860 She still comes on every now and then to blind us with her brilliance. :nope:

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Chuckles Todd! Of course. I never, ever watch him.

The problem with Podhoretz is not that he is a conservative. It's that he says stuff that's not true. He can have his opinions but I draw the line at bullshitting about facts.

Bill Maher is not really a talking head but I can't stand him anymore either. We don't have HBO half the year but I stopped watching him anyway. He's not well versed about many issues but opines on them anyway.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:16 pm
Chuck Todd and Ari Melber -- they aren't terribly bright. Todd even admitted recently that he didn't realize Trump and his enablers were such serious, serial liars all these years. :brickwallsmall: Melber blathers on just to hear his voice and thinks he is precious when he quotes rappers' hip hop. :roll: Apparently that's the only literature he knows.

But my favorite most disliked is Katie Phang. In 2018 she was gushing on MSNBC about how brilliant Michael Avenatti was for suing Cohen for defamation, blithely unaware of the anti-SLAPP laws available to Cohen. I commented on it at the time: http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... pp#p972860

She still comes on every now and then to blind us with her brilliance. :nope:
Yeah, Ari Melber apparently worked on the Hill for a while and then worked at some NYC firm (Cahill?) for 4-5 years. I would be stunned if he ever took a deposition let alone tried a case and he is MSNBC's Chief Legal Correspondent? Gimme a break. The rap music stuff is so ridiculous.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Tweety is at the top of my list. When Sykes was on MSNBC more often, he drove me crazy. I still see him occasionally. Just because he's a never trumper, he doesn't necessarily have to be on MSNBC. That goes for some of the other never trumpers. And where did they dig up Peggy Noonan? Okay, maybe Chuck Todd is at the top of my list. And I used to like Ari Melber more, but he's getting on my nerves lately. I'm sure there are more. :think:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

yeah bill maher has probably done more to normalize xenophobia & a “both sides” attitude to creeping fascism than anyone who isn’t actually (i say generously) a fascist

see also joe rogan the dude who’s endorsement sanders was foolish enough to tout the other day

but if we’re going to talk about truly ridiculous pundits in positions of influence then i’m gonna go w the three amigos at the nyt—david brooks, ross douthat, bret stephens. douthat’s career alone has been nothing but a series of profitable armpit noises
—Ali Smith, Autumn

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

stephens is probably the most disingenuous of the three—brooks is just a giant manbaby
—Ali Smith, Autumn

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe »

oh yeah chris matthews fantasizing about being executed in central park by bernie sanders def earns him a shot at the top of this list
—Ali Smith, Autumn

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Ari Melber. Blathers on, and his supercilious voice . . .
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Why Does Chuck Todd Exist?
Unless you have a close, personal friendship with Chris Cillizza, you don’t know anyone as bad at his job as Chuck Todd. After not graduating from college on a French horn scholarship, Todd was plucked out of obscurity by former Meet the Press host Tim Russert, who elevated the sentient slice of store-brand white bread to his eventual perch atop the most important political show on television.

And goddamn, is he bad.
No one, not even a monkey that has been trained to smoke meth, is this stupid.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Chris and Tina were alright. Real friendly. Tom Tom Club were awesome. We're talking Bootsy! Jerry was cool enough. He played with Jonathan Richman - that's pretty dope - and produced a lot of bands. David Byrne, he started out kinda psycho, but then it went to his head. He started acting like some kind of artist. Saw him once doing some awful Brazilian crap, I was like who do you think you're fooling?

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

:confused:

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:48 am
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:59 am
:confused:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talking_Heads
:rotflmao: Big round of applause for busterbunker. :thumbs:
"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."
Angela Davis

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

Since someone mentioned the band, I have to quote my favorite song of theirs after last night:
Heaven
Heaven is a place
A place where nothing
Nothing ever happens.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Stop Making Sense.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:16 pm

But my favorite most disliked is Katie Phang. In 2018 she was gushing on MSNBC about how brilliant Michael Avenatti was for suing Cohen for defamation, blithely unaware of the anti-SLAPP laws available to Cohen. I commented on it at the time: http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... pp#p972860 She still comes on every now and then to blind us with her brilliance. :nope:
I can't stand ari it makes me groan every time he quotes hip hop lyrics. He's trying to be one of the cool kids

Return to “Media & Social Media”