US Senate: Nebraska

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

The Omaha World Herald has written that Sen Ben Nelson (D-NE) will not be seeking re-election. Nelson's decision to retire rather than seek another term has been expected by many. Nelson stated earlier he would discuss the matter with family over the Christmas break.

RealClearPolitics has listed this Senate seat as a Republican gain for some time now. The expected Republican nominee is state Attorney General Jon Bruning.

[/break1]omaha.com/article/20111227/NEWS01/111229653#nelson-retiring-from-u-s-senate]http://www.omaha.com/article/20111227/N ... u-s-senate

[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/nebraska_senate_race.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... _race.html

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

Good riddance.
The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

Huff Post 08/09/2011 [link]"Jon Bruning, Nebraska Senate Candidate, Compares Welfare Recipients To Raccoons",http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/0 ... 22312.html[/link]
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

BFB

Post by BFB »

Huff Post 08/09/2011 [link]"Jon Bruning, Nebraska Senate Candidate, Compares Welfare Recipients To Raccoons",http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/0 ... 22312.html[/link]Saaaay ... he's got reptile eyes ....

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Nice, typical republican. He should be quite popular. The only hope is that the people of Nebraska will realize that the agendas of these yahoos will do nothing to help any of them. The GOP has made a public 1% spectacle of itself this past year, and the eyes of the people in this country are opening up to the fact that they are the ones being targeted by everything the repubs have attempted to do this last year. My hope is that 2012 will be a GOP wipeout! (I know, not likely, but I do believe they will suffer because of their actions to some extent. Hopefully a large extent.) {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif
Birfers are toast

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Nah, MsDaisy. I lived in that Red State long enough to know that the (R) after your name gives you a huge advantage. The only way a Pub loses there is if a very popular conservative Dem from a populated area runs against him.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

Nah, MsDaisy. I lived in that Red State long enough to know that the (R) after your name gives you a huge advantage. The only way a Pub loses there is if a very popular conservative Dem from a populated area runs against him.Well let’s at least hope that’s the case. Even a conservative dem is better than an asshole repub.
Birfers are toast

Joseph Robidoux III

I agree with ZekeB regarding the chances for a Democrat in a state-wide race in Nebraska. Nebraska twice sent Bob Kerrey to the US Senate (1988 and 1994). In the 1950s, 60s and 70s Nebraskans elected Roman Hruska. There are way more Hruskas (and Brunings) remaining in Nebraska than future Kerreys.[/break1]congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=K000146]http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/bi ... ex=K000146Forty year ago, when President Nixon nominated a Supreme Court Justice widely considered “mediocre,” Sen. Roman Hruska defended the choice: “Even if he were mediocre, there are a lot of mediocre judges and people and lawyers. They are entitled to a little representation, aren’t they, and a little chance?”[/break1]com/120138/the-stupidity-sweepstakes/]http://themoderatevoice.com/120138/the- ... eepstakes/

Joseph Robidoux III

Nah, MsDaisy. I lived in that Red State long enough to know that the (R) after your name gives you a huge advantage. The only way a Pub loses there is if a very popular conservative Dem from a populated area runs against him.Well let’s at least hope that’s the case. Even a conservative dem is better than an asshole repub.For anyone who has criticized the actions of Kent Conrad (ND), Tim Johnson (SD), Max Baucus (MT), Mary Landrieu (LA) or former senator Byron Dorgan (ND), look at what the alternative is.Republicans experience the same level of frustration with Susan Collins (ME), Olympia Snowe (ME) and Scott Brown (MA). In Brown's case, their frustration may be ending shortly.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

Nah, MsDaisy. I lived in that Red State long enough to know that the (R) after your name gives you a huge advantage. The only way a Pub loses there is if a very popular conservative Dem from a populated area runs against him.Well let’s at least hope that’s the case. Even a conservative dem is better than an asshole repub.For anyone who has criticized the actions of Kent Conrad (ND), Tim Johnson (SD), Max Baucus (MT), Mary Landrieu (LA) or former senator Byron Dorgan (ND), look at what the alternative is.Republicans experience the same level of frustration with Susan Collins (ME), Olympia Snowe (ME) and Scott Brown (MA). In Brown's case, their frustration may be ending shortly.All true and I wouldn't vote for any but the rare Reepub over them. But on the other hand, I would surely vote for any decent Dem over them. Wish folks would understand that we're not gonna throw the baby out with the bathwater just because we point out that the water is filthy. ?(

MaineSkeptic

Post by MaineSkeptic »

I agree with ZekeB regarding the chances for a Democrat in a state-wide race in Nebraska. Nebraska twice sent Bob Kerrey to the US Senate (1988 and 1994)...There is a move afoot to bring Kerrey back for this race.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

Nah, MsDaisy. I lived in that Red State long enough to know that the (R) after your name gives you a huge advantage. The only way a Pub loses there is if a very popular conservative Dem from a populated area runs against him.Well let’s at least hope that’s the case. Even a conservative dem is better than an asshole repub.For anyone who has criticized the actions of Kent Conrad (ND), Tim Johnson (SD), Max Baucus (MT), Mary Landrieu (LA) or former senator Byron Dorgan (ND), look at what the alternative is.

Republicans experience the same level of frustration with Susan Collins (ME), Olympia Snowe (ME) and Scott Brown (MA). In Brown's case, their frustration may be ending shortly.Frankly, if Nelson, Conrad, Baucus, et al were as good Democrats as Collins, Snowe, and Brown are Republicans, I'd be totally thrilled. Sadly for us, they're not.

Seriously. In 2009, we had the House, 60 seats in the Senate, and the Presidency. There was a shitload of good legislation that either stalled or was watered down in the Senate because Nelson, Conrad, and a few others wouldn't stand with their party on cloture votes. I wouldn't have given a rats ass if they voted against the legislation proper, but the fuckers wouldn't stand firm enough to give shit that had overwhelmingly passed the house and had a majority whip count in the Senate get an up or down vote at all.

Frankly, I think a real argument could have been can be made that having those assholes in the Senate did more harm to the Democrats, and that the alternative would have been an improvement. The outcome wouldn't have changed, and at least then the media narrative would have been more likely to be "Republicans obstruct legislation" instead of "Democrats, with their filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, again fail to pass the President's agenda."

Edit: Edit: changed tense of sentence from past to present.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I agree with ZekeB regarding the chances for a Democrat in a state-wide race in Nebraska. Nebraska twice sent Bob Kerrey to the US Senate (1988 and 1994)...There is a move afoot to bring Kerrey back for this race.Link for an old man, Skeppy http://www.realchristiansingles.com/ima ... SMILEY.gif , or are you just playing with me?

MaineSkeptic

Post by MaineSkeptic »

There is a move afoot to bring Kerrey back for this race.Link for an old man, Skeppy http://www.realchristiansingles.com/ima ... SMILEY.gif , or are you just playing with me?A Senate Democratic leadership aide, speaking on condition of not being identified, told CNN that party officials are reaching out to former Nebraska Sen. Bob Kerrey to possibly run for Nelson's seat.[/break1]cnn.com/2011/12/27/politics/senate-nelson/index.html]http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/27/politics/ ... index.html

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

Yes, but he's traveling in India and wouldn't comment.

A Legal Lohengrin

Post by A Legal Lohengrin »

Frankly, I think a real argument could have been can be made that having those assholes in the Senate did more harm to the Democrats, and that the alternative would have been an improvement. The outcome wouldn't have changed, and at least then the media narrative would have been more likely to be "Republicans obstruct legislation" instead of "Democrats, with their filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, again fail to pass the President's agenda."

Edit: Edit: changed tense of sentence from past to present.
Fully agreed. I'd rather have an enemy in front of me than a traitor stabbing me in the back.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

And he left the D's holding the check...Sen. Ben Nelson's Hamlet routine ended Tuesday as the Nebraska Democrat announced that he would retire from the Senate at the end of this term. The announcement came after Democratic Party committees and a supportive super PAC had already spent more than $1.5 million to boost his reelection.Nelson, a two-term senator who was expected to be one of the most vulnerable incumbents running in 2012, received support from the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee in October, when the committee transferred $1.2 million to the Nebraska Democratic Party, a 527 group, to run advertisements in support of Nelson. Also coming to Nelson's aid was Majority PAC, a Democratic super PAC run by former Senate leadership aides, with $406,344 in television ads.[/break1]huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/27/ben-nelson-retirement-outside-money-ads_n_1171589.html?ref=politics]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/2 ... f=politics

Joseph Robidoux III

Even a conservative dem is better than an asshole repub.Gee I don't know about that in the Senate. *cough* Mary Landrieu *cough* Even Ben Nelson, ack, he almost, almost killed the ACA.I believe a lot of the blame for Democratic Senators not being united when needed falls on the Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid. Reid apparently gained his management skills from Tom Daschle who also was a failure in that position. Democrats need a majority leader, not a majority wimp.Ben Nelson, Mary Landrieu and others do as they damn well please because there is no repercussion for not toeing the line.

Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

I'll be happy for Reid to share some blame but not the lion's share. [-X

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Roman Hruska (Hruska being Czech for pear, btw) and Carl Curtis were Nebraska's two senators when I first moved (errr was sent, courtesy of Uncle) to Nebraska. They spent a long time in office and weren't particularly noteworthy for accomplishing anything. The people I hung out with had two differing views of those two. Some of us considered them to be like a bale of hay. Some of us considered them to be like a sack of bran.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Joseph Robidoux III

A Senate Democratic leadership aide, speaking on condition of not being identified, told CNN that party officials are reaching out to former Nebraska Sen. Bob Kerrey to possibly run for Nelson's seat.[/break1]cnn.com/2011/12/27/politics/senate-nelson/index.html]http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/27/politics/ ... index.htmlBob Kerrey has decided to visit with Nebraskans next week before reaching a final decision on whether to step into the 2012 Senate race.[/break1]com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/bob-kerrey-may-jump-into-senate-race/article_932ba7f2-4f8a-5f17-a763-3b10dc402fb3.html#ixzz1iqzfDB5u]http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-r ... z1iqzfDB5uUntil I read or hear Bob Kerrey say he wants to represent Nebraskans again in the US Senate, I'll continue to view all of this as wishful thinking.If he had to decide today whether to enter the 2012 Senate race, what would his answer be? "Today, probably no," Kerrey said. [/break1]com/#ixzz1ir78Vj68]http://journalstar.com/#ixzz1ir78Vj68

Joseph Robidoux III

Until I read or hear Bob Kerrey say he wants to represent Nebraskans again in the US Senate, I'll continue to view all of this as wishful thinking.If he had to decide today whether to enter the 2012 Senate race, what would his answer be? "Today, probably no," Kerrey said. [/break1]com/#ixzz1ir78Vj68]http://journalstar.com/#ixzz1ir78Vj68The answer is officially no. Bob Kerrey has decided not to run for Nebraska's US Senate seat.[/break1]com/news/state-and-regional/federal-politics/kerrey-won-t-run-for-senate/article_a1de99a0-ba6f-55b4-9d2d-564e1218d20e.html]http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-r ... 8d20e.html

Addie

Post by Addie »

That's too bad. :(
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Joseph Robidoux III

Real Clear Politics has moved the Nebraska Senate seat from "Leans GOP" to "Likely GOP". It shouldn't be long before it's moved again to "Safe GOP". Nebraska AG Jon Bruning is probably still a heavy favorite to win the Republican nomination. All the polls I've seen are from last year.[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2012/senate/2012_elections_senate_map.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... e_map.htmlLosing Nebraska and the open North Dakota seat will mean flipping Massachusetts and Nevada just to stay even (assuming all the other Democratic Senators win re-election).

Return to “U.S. Senate”