2014 US Senate: Kentucky

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Mitch McConnel is too "progressive" for the Senate Conservative Fund[BBvideo 425,350:ffy4aova][/BBvideo]

Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:02 pm

Cross posted from "Politics and the Economy >> Congress >> Off The Financial Cliff: Part Deux"

http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 81#p587881

Considering all that I have written bashing and ridiculing Sen McConnell, I believe it is only fair to post the following.

In perhaps his most defining moment in the 113th Congress, [Sen Mitch] McConnell strode up to the dais and declared his “aye” vote in a clear voice heard throughout the chamber. It broke the impasse and seven more Republicans soon voted as well to end the filibuster.

McConnell’s vote broke a filibuster by Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) that was backed by the Club for Growth, which helped defeat former Sens. Bob Bennett (Utah) and Dick Lugar (Ind.) in Republican primaries in 2010 and 2012 but has stayed out of McConnell’s race so far.

His colleagues hoped Sen. Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), a centrist Republican, would provide the needed 60th vote but Murkowski refused unless the GOP leadership team joined her, according to a source who was on the floor during the standoff.

Supporters of McConnell inside and outside the Senate said it was a moment of real leadership for the longtime Kentucky senator, who, over the past year, has voted more often with Tea Party groups as he readied for the tough primary challenge.

[/break1]com/homenews/senate/198391-mcconnells-bring-it-on-moment]http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/1983 ... -on-momentI can't seem to locate the article now but I believe Sen Collins (R-ME) also told McConnell something similar to what Murkowski told him. Sen Cruz isn't making many friends in the Senate and neither is former Sen Jim DeMint. Need to stock up on staples.

► Show Spoiler

SPen

Post by SPen » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:46 pm

I don't think it's a moment of leadership at all. He tried to hide his vote and everyone else's, he just got exposed after holding the vote open for so long because they couldn't find the numbers to break Cruz's filibuster. He had the clerks not announce how each Senator was voting so that he could hide the results while he tried to persuade other people to vote yes to give him cover for doing so. I think the only real leadership was exhibited by Murkowski and Collins, who told McConnell and Cornyn that they were finally done crossing over and helping the Democrats break GOP filibusters while the leadership just kept voting to sustain them while putting it on everyone else to do the responsible thing by lifting the debt ceiling.It's not as if McConnell repudiated Cruz and the other gasbags who filibuster every single thing in the Senate (which includes McConnell most of the time), he was just put in an awkward position by members of his caucus who were tired of being responsible 5% of the time when he acts responsibly 0% of the time.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:42 am

Cross posted from "Politics and the Economy >> Congress >> Off The Financial Cliff: Part Deux"

http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... 74#p588274

Roll Call included a pdf of the Senate clerk's tally sheet for the cloture vote. The sheet suggests Sen McConnell convinced 6 Republican Senators, all of whom had already voted, to switch their vote from "nay" to "aye". The sheet also suggests McConnell held off voting until the very end (standard practice for him and Sen Reid).

Sens. John Barrasso of Wyoming, John Cornyn of Texas, Jeff Flake of Arizona, Orrin G. Hatch of Utah, John McCain of Arizona and John Thune of South Dakota appear to have switched their votes from “nay” to “aye.” It is possible that some of the markings on the page are due to clerical error.

[/break1]rollcall.com/wgdb/which-republican-senators-switched-their-debt-limit-votes/]http://blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/which-re ... mit-votes/McConnell was stalling, hoping he could convince Senators Murkowski, Collins and others to vote "aye" and allow him to vote "nay" to satisfy Kentucky Teabaggers. When it became apparent that wasn't going to happen McConnell went to the dais and voted loud enough for all to hear.

Edit: Yeah; McConnell was stalling hoping somebody else would do the dirty work. However when it became apparent that wouldn't happen McConnell had the courage to do the right thing despite knowing the price he might pay back home, courtesy of the RWNJ superpacs. I believe McConnell deserves credit for that.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:25 am

Doing his job for once, after obstructing for years, buys McConnell no credit from me."A politician is an arse upon which everyone has sat except a man" could have been e.e. cummings describing this hypocrite and coward.

Tarrant

Post by Tarrant » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:33 am

Doing his job for once, after obstructing for years, buys McConnell no credit from me."A politician is an arse upon which everyone has sat except a man" could have been e.e. cummings describing this hypocrite and coward.Agreed.Meekly going up to vote after hoping beyond hope someone else would do it gets him little from me.What an adult would do is go to these teabaggers and attorney to explain why this vote was important and necessary, even if in the end they wouldn't agree. Almost every Republican in that room - and most in the House - knew that it was important to vote for this bill. But they were cowards, afraid of a primary challenge, and rather than look to explain why the vote was necessary and voting together, they worked to hide as many of them as possible. That gets no credit.The teabaggers won't change if Republicans won't stand up to them.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:44 pm

Doing his job for once, after obstructing for years, buys McConnell no credit from me.Agreed.Hmmmmm! Tough crowd today.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:49 pm

Kentucky Teabagger Matt Bevin may have just stepped in it.The revelation last week that Bevin signed a letter to investors praising the 2008 bank bailouts, combined with Bevin's tortured explanation and repeated condemnations of the bailout, make for a potentially fatal political blow. To McConnell's re-election team, it represented "the final piece of the puzzle."[/break1]kentucky.com/2014/02/17/3094476/political-paddock-is-this-the.html]http://www.kentucky.com/2014/02/17/3094 ... s-the.htmlIt appears Sen McConnell is in no mood to offer a stick to Bevin so Bevin can scrape the sh*t off his shoes.Sen. Rand Paul says Republican Senate challenger Matt Bevin’s credibility was damaged by revelations he signed a letter crediting the 2008 federal bank bailout for growing a mutual fund he founded — only to rail against Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell now for voting for the bailout.[/break1]courier-journal.com/viewart/20140218/NEWS010603/302180037/Rand-Paul-says-Matt-Bevin-s-credibility-hurt-by-bailout-issue]http://www.courier-journal.com/viewart/ ... lout-issue

SPen

Post by SPen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:47 am

It hurts Bevin's credibility but he just doesn't seem to be making the type of splash that anti-McConnell people hoped he would. He hasn't spent much of his personal fortune on the race like he hinted he would and he's just not gaining traction. The primary in Kentucky is May 20th and it just doesn't seem like he can pull off the upset unless there's a majority in Kentucky that is super, super quiet about their intentions to bounce McConnell. I think this is actually to our benefit. I think ALG has a better chance against such a damaged incumbent than she would against someone who would track closely to "Generic Republican" when the state has such a strong partisan lean in the other direction. McConnell and GOP groups have already spent millions attacking ALG on the predictable grounds but it hasn't moved the needle much if at all. She's hanging strong and he's nowhere near 50% yet. She just needs to keep touring the state like she has been and keep pounding the pavement. If there are the persuadable voters out there that she needs to win then she's going to find them like this.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:34 pm

McConnell has learned how to smile!
Now where have I seen that before?Sekrit Stuffs!

Attached files

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:49 pm

McConnell has learned how to smile!The smile is likely a result of flatulence, his own,...
► Show Spoiler

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:30 pm

That smile looks painful.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:33 pm

That smile looks painful.The rest of the story [/break1]com/livewire/jon-stewart-mcconnelling]http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/j ... connellingCan't remember how to embed Daily Show vids.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Just a few The Office: Civilization music: Knight Rider

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:42 am

So McConnell's Tea Party opponent just spoke at an Arena at an event sponsoring legislation to legalize cockfighting in the state of Kentucky.[/break1]courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2014/04/02/matt-bevin-attended-cockfighting-rally/7223291/]http://www.courier-journal.com/story/ne ... y/7223291/U.S. Senate candidate Matt Bevin took part in a rally Saturday planned to support the legalization of cockfighting in Kentucky.Bevin's campaign, however, described the event at the Corbin Arena in Corbin, Ky., as a "states' rights rally," and said that Bevin, who is challenging U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell in the Republican primary in May, didn't know that it had any ties to cockfighting."It was not a cockfighting rally, it was a states' rights rally," said Rachel Semmel, a Bevin spokeswoman.But the event's organizer told the Corbin News Journal that the sole purpose of the rally was to gain support for legislation to legalize cockfighting in Kentucky. The newspaper reported that about 700 people attended.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue May 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Kentucky polls close at 7:00pm. The eastern part of the state is in the Eastern Time Zone; the western part is in the Central Time Zone. When polls do close the Kentucky State Board of Elections hopefully will have results posted at the below rikker, I mean link. [/break1]enr.clarityelections.com/KY/50972/128710/en/summary.html]http://results.enr.clarityelections.com ... mmary.html

SPen

Post by SPen » Tue May 20, 2014 7:13 pm

Both ALG and McConnell predictably won their parties' nomination. The only thing left of interest is to see whether or not Bevin can overperform and hold McConnell under 60%.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue May 20, 2014 10:24 pm

In Kentucky, Mitch McConnell Crushes Tea Party Challenger Matt BevinSenate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has beaten his tea party challenger Matt Bevin,according to the Associated Press. With 96.8 percent of the results in McConnell had 60 percent of the vote to Bevin’s 35.7 percent.McConnell was expected to win the Kentucky GOP Senate Primary, but this decisive victory blew the tea party out of the water, and McConnell gets to start the general election with the wind at his back, despite the serious challenge from Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes, a Democrat half his age.McConnell aimed to unite the party, even pausing his speech to ask the crowd to applaud his opponent saying Bevin “brought a lot of passion and tenacity to this race and he made me a stronger candidate.” [/break1]go.com/blogs/politics/2014/05/in-kentucky-mitch-mcconnell-crushes-tea-party-challenger-matt-bevin/]http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/20 ... att-bevin/Kentucky Senate Primaries[/break1]politico.com/2014-election/results/map/senate/#.U3wNO_ldXis]http://www.politico.com/2014-election/r ... 3wNO_ldXis

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:20 am

This race may have both candidates within the margin of error for all polls between now and election day.[/break1]photobucket.com/user/Joseph_Robidoux_III/media/Politics/2014%20Elections/2014%20US%20Senate/Kentucky/USSenateKY2014-08-01_zps5154b8c6.jpg.html]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... 54b8c6.jpg[/break1]realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2014/senate/ky/kentucky_senate_mcconnell_vs_grimes-3485.html]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -3485.html

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:33 am

I'm not yet willing to place bets on the outcome.But, Congress could use more women. Seriously, women make up half the population and they're usually smarter than me about...everything. They should make up half of Congress too.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:25 am

If I didn't have my hands full campaigning for Hagan, I'd seriously consider going to Missouri to campaign for Grimes. She rocks.

I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:33 am

If I didn't have my hands full campaigning for Hagan, I'd seriously consider going to Missouri to campaign for Grimes. She rocks.It might be more useful to go to Kentucky....

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:07 am

If I didn't have my hands full campaigning for Hagan, I'd seriously consider going to Missouri to campaign for Grimes. She rocks.It might be more useful to go to Kentucky.... #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o ?( Coffee. I need more coffee! :oops:

I put the 'fun' in dysfunctional.

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:48 pm

Alison Lundergan Grimes and Mitch McConnell share the stage at the 134th Annual Fancy Farm Picnic and get in a few jabs at the other.Grimes focused her attack on McConnell, calling the picnic "Sen McConnell's retirement party", while McConnell was preoccupied with attacking Pres Obama.

SPen

Post by SPen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:12 am

This could get interesting.[/break1]yahoo.com/mitch-mcconnell-s-wife-sits-on-the-board-of-a-group-working-to-kill-the-coal-industry-041726501.html]http://news.yahoo.com/mitch-mcconnell-s ... 26501.htmlMitch McConnell's wife sits on the board of a group working to kill the coal industryApparently Mitch McConnell's wife sits on not one but two Board of Directors that have ties to anti-coal advocacy.

Return to “U.S. Senate”